Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I mean, the country we invaded asked us to stay longer because they dreaded the chaos that would be caused by the power vacuum, therefore we were right to invade and should have stayed forever, that doesn't sound like imperialism or anything like Bush's "We'll stand down when Iraqis stand up" to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

I'm a broke brain political obsessive and I can't even remember what the gently caress arp is / was rn. You were probably required to have kids to get something out of it or be a boomer or something. I dunno.

hey at least my unemployment check got smaller

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Same, tbh.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ARP basically evaporating into nothingness in a fortnight after both the media and Bernie Sanders were saying it was the most progressive thing in modern history is really funny.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wait, the dropped the arp? Lol.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nichael posted:

working hard (thank you) electing more dems
https://i.imgur.com/yBY0YzD.mp4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dem-a-thon.com for the Sussex Dems!!!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Egg Moron posted:

Nixon should have remained in office and let the process play out like a big confident man rather than resigning in disgrace

Nixon finally got an answer when he kept asking Helms about 'that bay of pigs thing' and the answer was not what he wanted to hear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

What exactly does this dope think the political climate was leading up to his buddy's New Deal plan anyway? Force or threat of force is historically the only hing that breaks the power of the ruling class, if only for a generation or two.

FDR just did the New Deal out of the goodness of his heart because he was that smart and wise. That's why you need to keep quiet and wait patiently, because Uncle Joe is also smart and wise and will do good things eventually if you just give him time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Nixon finally got an answer when he kept asking Helms about 'that bay of pigs thing' and the answer was not what he wanted to hear.

Vernon A. Walters, as CIA director, wrote a memo to the Watergate committee informing them that the President was complicit in a cover-up, and that evidence of the cover-up was captured in tapes.

He did this before Congress even knew what Nixon's crime was, and before they even knew that the White House taping system existed.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Atrocious Joe posted:

a bunch of good reforms were passed under Nixon because domestic pressure was so intense. To the point where there were literally urban guerrillas and regular bombings across the US. Granted, those guerrillas were mostly ineffective, but it shows how raucous the political scene at the time had become.

he didn’t give a poo poo about domestic stuff. everything he did was due to pressure according to Rick pearlstein’s books

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Eggplant Squire posted:

ARP basically evaporating into nothingness in a fortnight after both the media and Bernie Sanders were saying it was the most progressive thing in modern history is really funny.

This makes me wonder what the cultural impact of the CCC was in the 30s. The last I heard of the ARP from actual people was someone saying they got their money finally months ago, I have to imagine people talked about the CCC or the TVA as real existing things they could join if they didn't have a job or their job sucked.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What is this? A snitch?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

What is this? A snitch?

We know now that the lady who was making those Not Vaccinated Star of David patches was at the 1/6 pro Trump protests because she posted about being there herself on her social media account

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

This makes me wonder what the cultural impact of the CCC was in the 30s. The last I heard of the ARP from actual people was someone saying they got their money finally months ago, I have to imagine people talked about the CCC or the TVA as real existing things they could join if they didn't have a job or their job sucked.

Yeah I don't have the historical knowledge to know the immediate cultural impact of the New Deal but for all the insane hype about the ARP when it passed even the Democrats seem to have largely forgotten it while I have never heard it mentioned by anyone outside the internet. Honestly I think the better way to message it would have been more honest about what it did and push that consistently rather than get the Washington Post to write ridiculous headlines about a result it could never meet with a one time check and a tax credit than anyone not in the Democrat's fanbase could tell was absurd.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

galenanorth posted:

I mean, the country we invaded asked us to stay longer because they dreaded the chaos that would be caused by the power vacuum, therefore we were right to invade and should have stayed forever, that doesn't sound like imperialism or anything like Bush's "We'll stand down when Iraqis stand up" to me

The next time we invade a country we should just go the full mile and annex it to the 51st state cause if we half rear end it again we’re doing everyone a disservice

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

We know now that the lady who was making those Not Vaccinated Star of David patches was at the 1/6 pro Trump protests because she posted about being there herself on her social media account

That's a lol.

I still wouldn't snitch though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

That's a lol.

I still wouldn't snitch though.

Oh for sure its just funny

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Desperately seeking the synthesis of Marjorie Taylor Greene and Critical Race Theory

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unix but pronounced like latinx

That's already how I pronounce latinx, though. It confuses me why anyone would see that word and not think "latina/latino, but say 'ix' at the end instead."

Though it's super funny if the most common pronunciation is actually "latin-x," since that sounds even less like the original terms it's supposed to be based off of.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ytlaya posted:

That's already how I pronounce latinx, though. It confuses me why anyone would see that word and not think "latina/latino, but say 'ix' at the end instead."

Though it's super funny if the most common pronunciation is actually "latin-x," since that sounds even less like the original terms it's supposed to be based off of.

How would you pronounce it, "Latinz?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe the Mayan x and it's latinsh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Latinux

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's an all Hispanic marvel team, Latin-X

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lol lauren witzke was there

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty sure the poor, and minority, people who had to fight in that war aren't the people you're wanting dead.

Most of the troops who died in Vietnam were white men who voluntarily joined the Army. You saw more black KIA in combat arms than in previous wars since black men were not allowed in combat roles starting with WWI.

Draftees vs. volunteers:

25% (648,500) of total forces in country were draftees. (66% of U.S. armed forces members were drafted during WWII)

Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.

Ethnic background:

88.4% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were Caucasian, 10.6% (275,000) were black, 1.0% belonged to other races

86.3% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasian (including Hispanics)
12.5% (7,241) were black.
1.2% belonged to other races

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
actually it is not as bad if white man die i say leftistly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pobrecito posted:

"Both parties are staunchly pro-imperialism."

I think this is a phrase that is tossed around flippantly without much examination. "Staunchly?"

Eh... At times, perhaps, but Clinton's Iraq bombing was hardly imperialist so much as it was opportunist (which, honestly, is worse). Libya was a multilateral UN action after which the Libyan government asked everyone to stay longer.

The drone program is definitely problematic, but evidence of staunch pro-imperialism? Again, I say, eh...

I don't think the Democratic Party in 2021 is "staunchly pro-imperialism."

I wonder if I'm correct in my guess of who this is based upon the "eh"'s.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Dems are so low energy and pointless that the only thing chuds can even find to get mad about right now is a throw away Harris tweet that didn't sufficiently worship the troops.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"latinx" rhymes with "lynx"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PeterCat posted:

Most of the troops who died in Vietnam were white men who voluntarily joined the Army. You saw more black KIA in combat arms than in previous wars since black men were not allowed in combat roles starting with WWI.

Draftees vs. volunteers:

25% (648,500) of total forces in country were draftees. (66% of U.S. armed forces members were drafted during WWII)

Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.

Ethnic background:

88.4% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were Caucasian, 10.6% (275,000) were black, 1.0% belonged to other races

86.3% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasian (including Hispanics)
12.5% (7,241) were black.
1.2% belonged to other races

What the gently caress are you trying to say here?

What was the economic background of these guys?

Is there some magic percentage of dead poor people and minorities that makes it ok?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pobrecito posted:

"Both parties are staunchly pro-imperialism."

I think this is a phrase that is tossed around flippantly without much examination. "Staunchly?"

Eh... At times, perhaps, but Clinton's Iraq bombing was hardly imperialist so much as it was opportunist (which, honestly, is worse). Libya was a multilateral UN action after which the Libyan government asked everyone to stay longer.

The drone program is definitely problematic, but evidence of staunch pro-imperialism? Again, I say, eh...

I don't think the Democratic Party in 2021 is "staunchly pro-imperialism."

And the survey SAYS:

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

spacetoaster posted:

And the survey SAYS:

I don't think nerra tanden in 2011 thought "Libya should pay us back."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Nixon should've let the Vietnam war go on another couple years so we'd have fewer boomers.

Inflicting more suffering on the people of Vietnam isn't cool. More dead americans would have been great though yeah.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1399018754558803968

Get a life you loser

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

In Training posted:

hey at least my unemployment check got smaller

Remember when the justification for reducing the PUA payments was that they were extending the program for a month (so it's the same amount overall!!!!!!1) but then half the states have just straight up said "nah, bro, we good" and ended participation in the program with the other half likely soon to follow?

lmao

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

What's the one sentence sell on saying latinx anyway?

"By saying latinx we have ________"

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
I guess never shutting the gently caress up about the 6th until the midterms is doing something. They won't be doing much else anyways.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I don't think nerra tanden in 2011 thought "Libya should pay us back."

Yeah, she was probably thinking occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

What's the one sentence sell on saying latinx anyway?

"By saying latinx we have ________"

alienated most Spanish language speakers who didn't learn it as a second language