Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How do you pay the hookers as a starfleet dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I mean, a handjob under the darbo table or loving some aquatic alien into the blowhole Rikerstyle can't be free all the time, can't it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Power Khan posted:

How do you pay the hookers as a starfleet dude?

Starfleet officers who are assigned places that have commerce will receive a stipend of whatever medium is used for exchange.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I've heard of those kind of sheepdogs they absolutely will too. IIRC there was a news article about how one rounded up and protected a whole herd of goats during the California bushfire, and also some deer too.

You are thinking of Odin, who is/was is a Great Pyrenees, which I will contend is the best form of dog, rivaled only by the noble Husky.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

You are thinking of Odin, who is/was is a Great Pyrenees, which I will contend is the best form of dog, rivaled only by the noble Husky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOS49zPWuf8

:colbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

As i said, the noble Husky.

Also, I didn't hear 'oh why' i heard 'momma momma!' that husky was just calling for his mommy to save him from the cruel torture

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 17:07 on May 30, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mind the walrus posted:

Because Terrok Nor was originally for ore processing (and why that's stupid is another conversation) and not a hub for coming/going it makes sense that they would only want 1-2 large ships docked at a time, and they could have different ships access different pylons to drop off different payloads. Would be it more efficient if they faced outward? Yes, it would. But Cardassians are domineering fucksticks who like to keep a tight grip on things and forcing each large ship into their "pylon vice" or w/e does make a certain emotional sense.

Having the pylons curve inward means that the shields are enclosing a much smaller volume and are therefore that much more effective. :colbert:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I thought pylons were more of a Battlestar Galactica thing

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Oh are we about to do this

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Lol at people on Something Awful dot com in 2021 tyool acting as if they're to good to talk about Star Trek.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You just know that the mod forum is full of Trek talk.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Empty Sandwich posted:

I thought constructing more pylons was more of a StarCraft thing

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jaxyon posted:

Oh are we about to do this

Jeff Bezos' new yacht

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Lol at people on Something Awful dot com in 2021 tyool acting as if they're to good to talk about Star Trek.

Buddy, I’m too good to even read the posts about Star Trek.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Yellow Yoshi posted:

its a meme you dip

A what?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

What's Star Trek? :troll:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

i'm not too good for it. I am too old for it. TNG was cool sci fi for kid nerd me. I'm bored of it as adult nerd me. Like once you cast away the nostalgia there's much better terrible nerd poo poo to watch now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zil posted:

Ligma balls

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zil posted:

Ask permabanned mods

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Who’s ready for a fun language puzzle???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Got first quadrant, recognized what I’d lost, sighed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Figured out "man enters" in the top left and knew immediately

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I saw it had four quadrants and got it even quicker :smuggo:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

My opinion about Star Trek

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

:lol:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm not too good for it. I am too old for it. TNG was cool sci fi for kid nerd me. I'm bored of it as adult nerd me. Like once you cast away the nostalgia there's much better terrible nerd poo poo to watch now.

As someone currently rewatching DS9, preceded by TNG, what are the better nerd poo poo shows if I want the moral to be "violence is not the answer"? Star Trek is good poo poo, at least those two shows.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

As someone currently rewatching DS9, preceded by TNG, what are the better nerd poo poo shows if I want the moral to be "violence is not the answer"? Star Trek is good poo poo, at least those two shows.

The Expanse

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

BonHair posted:

babylon 5 is a show about trying to use diplomacy and realising it doesnt work with evil people and beating their rear end. also lando gkar best couple.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

quoting myself from p 2209

axolotl farmer posted:

reminder that Lexx owns :getin:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

snergle posted:

babylon 5 is a show about trying to use diplomacy and realising it doesnt work with evil people and beating their rear end. also lando gkar best couple.

thats literally "violence IS the answer", the exact opposite of what they wanted

axolotl farmer posted:

quoting myself from p 2209

sex is the answer :getin:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

snergle posted:

Man I wish B5 was on a streaming service in my country.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BonHair posted:

It’s books rather than TV but look up the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMaG_uOa440

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Looked this up, looks extremely dope, will for sure buy. Thank you

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

wizzardstaff posted:

Hard second ,some of the best Sci Fi written.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Violence has been the answer in star trek multiple times.

Violence was the answer against the Borg and Dominion.

It wasn't always the answer, the sometimes it was the only answer. In fact the only difference between star trek and other shows is just how often 'existential' threats show up. They were rarer in star trek so Picard didn't have to dirty his hands as much. But he absolutely would blast a motherfucker if that's what it took.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They made a whole film about picard's vendetta against the borg.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The distinguishing feature of Star Trek is that the protagonists in Star Trek use violence if and only if they've asked the question "is there another way" and found that the answer is "no".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also "good" Star Trek very much has its roots in the theater tradition where dialogue > spectacle for budgetary reasons. Losing that somewhere in the mid-90s is a big reason why latter day Trek isn't seen so fondly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dabir posted:

The distinguishing feature of Star Trek is that the protagonists in Star Trek use violence if and only if they've asked the question "is there another way" and found that the answer is "no".

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2rox2njKjA

E: lol didn't realize this was a spongebob edit