Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Simply replace all surface streets with metal grating suspended directly above 20m deep storm drains, bing bong so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Simply replace all surface streets with metal grating suspended directly above 20m deep storm drains, bing bong so simple

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Stormwater treatment or the milk supervisor stacking milk crates?

You decide.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The idea of burying shitloads of plastic as a routine construction measure bums me out tbh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Despite being infinitely weird it's surprisingly relaxing and comfortable in there, once you dial in the 17 (most dimmable) light switches. My wife and I both just think it's kind of funny and impractical.
clawfoot tub, jacuzzi tub, and a double shower. Behind the glass blocks are a dark green toilet and matching bidet. The big tub unfortunately became impractical after we replaced the leaking 100-gallon water heater. That's actually a gas-burning stove, not wood. It and a matching one in the bedroom are the only sources of heat for the master suite. Enough BTUs but kind of stupid. Plz don't ask about the remainder of my seven-zone three-fuel heat system.

At the risk of doxxing myself I can post more about the house if there is interest. It has been a 3-year process of slowly de-weirding it and catching up on serious maintenance deficits. The POs spent 20 years putting tons of money into crazy stuff and zero into anything actually necessary or thoughtful, which is a lot on a 160-year-old house.

Sneak peek:

Please, please, start a thread.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

aphid_licker posted:

The idea of burying shitloads of plastic as a routine construction measure bums me out tbh

Yeah, but wait until you hear what happens to plastic now. (and everything else regarding our treatment of the planet)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
If it was a big house they tarmacked the back garden for I would say it was a dodgy rental with multiple people in a single room (with questionable immigration status).

A small house like that with too much parking looks like a travelers house to me. Sometimes a family (or extended family) will buy a house/land and use it as a home base to pitch up in when they need to. This can produce issues (beyond the usual NIMBYs) with having far too many people living in a small area that the infrastructure like water and sewage cannot cope.

Or it could be old people who just don't want to deal with a garden.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Since the front lawn is artificial, could be someone with a grass allergy. Although it probably won't help much if all the houses around you have real lawns.

I'd still rather have a gravel or stone-paved backyard than asphalt.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

taqueso posted:

Yeah, but wait until you hear what happens to plastic now. (and everything else regarding our treatment of the planet)

Aside from the minor amount that's recycled, I think we burn it for electricity and district heating here. Which is not great, but differently bad from leaving it floating around.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 31, 2021

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Turns out Grover was right all along

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wait, US extension cords aren't fused? :psyduck:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Grover, right? Are you saying I should move the stairs next to a window?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nope. Most countries don't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's demonstrably fine to have fuseless extension cords.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Most EU ones aren't either. The UK is kind of an outlier.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pretty much no-one else has ring mains either. Coincidence?!?!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wait, so all the outlets in a UK house is on the same breaker?

e: "In practice, most small and medium houses have one ring circuit per storey, with larger premises having more." :psyduck:

My single room 300sq.ft apartment has five circuits, each with a 10A breaker except the kitchen which is 16A.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 31, 2021

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Old houses maybe? My 2 bed flat has 9 circuits according to the RCD panel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The UK has fuses in extension cords and appliances plugs because British homes are split into too few circuits of too much individual capacity.

Things plugged into U.S. outlets can be reasonably protected by the breaker in the panel. Things plugged into UK outlets can dissipate four times the power before tripping a breaker, so they need their own fuses with more appropriate fuses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Pretty much no-one else has ring mains either. Coincidence?!?!

It's this.

The "fuse everything" that UK people are accustomed to is an artifact of the incredible amount of fault current in their walls. The rest of the world doesn't have to worry about fusing every outlet and device because the high fault current is contained in a single box with multiple fuses/breakers for each branch circuit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Alright, that makes more sense. The breaker panels I'm used to are more like... well, here's mine:

That's:
- upstairs lights
- downstairs lights
- the oven which also has an electric shower spliced onto it
- all the sockets in the house
- and finally the immersion heater, which we never use because there's a gas boiler

Also a notice from British Gas stuck to the top informing us what a danger this thing is. Landlord doesn't give a poo poo.

There's blue sparks every time we plug anything in, and I suspect frequent brownouts on the sockets. This rickety mess basically relies on us only having one big thing turned on at once. I am very excited to be moving out this year.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Everything I needed to learn about US mains I learned from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004

Alright, that makes more sense. The breaker panels I'm used to are more like... well, here's mine:

That's:
- upstairs lights
- downstairs lights
- the oven which also has an electric shower spliced onto it
- all the sockets in the house
- and finally the immersion heater, which we never use because there's a gas boiler

Also a notice from British Gas stuck to the top informing us what a danger this thing is. Landlord doesn't give a poo poo.

There's blue sparks every time we plug anything in, and I suspect frequent brownouts on the sockets. This rickety mess basically relies on us only having one big thing turned on at once. I am very excited to be moving out this year.

I thought UK rentals needed to have up to date EICR's to prevent this poo poo from happening.

fake edit : Oh, it seems that they do, https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-rented-sector

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Plenty of things wrong with American plugs, fuses are low on the list.

Non-shielded pins, no switch on the wall plate and no shutters on the socket (as standard) are the big ones.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

for sure, too many people doing poo poo like this has caused a real flooding problem in the UK (where this appears to be)

Mexico City, too https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/depave-paradise/

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am surprised no one has started Bridge Chat in here yet.

The main bridge across the Mississippi, connecting Arkansas and Memphis has been shut down for a few weeks so far.

The Bridge gets inspected every 2 years. This year, the Inspector found a "crack" in one of the main support beams that run the entire length of the bridge.

The word used is "crack" but:

Less of a "crack" and more of a massive and complete fracture.

The Inspector immediately called his Department of Transportation office, and then 911 so that the bridge could be shut down and all traffic removed.
They even stopped all River traffic, until the next day. They were, at the time, concerned about the whole drat bridge just coming down.

Came out about a week later, that there was direct evidence that the fracture was there in 2019. And then a bit later, evidence that it had been there in 2015-2016!
I mean, Kudos to the person who designed it! Can have a 1 inch fracture of one of the main support beams, and it still be fine for 5-6 years.

The Inspector who had been in charge of the inspections, has been sacked.

Now, here is the fun part. This bridge is 51 years old, and had around 67,000 vehicles crossing it a day.
There IS another bridge, The old bridge that was used before. It is 71 years old. Hrmm, Hypothetical question, if the main, iconic bridge hadn't been getting proper inspections (and thus maintenance/repair), what do you think the chances are that the older bridge can handle an extra 67K vehicles across it a day?

Though, Good news! It probably isn't getting that volume of traffic a day.
From what the driver of a tanker delivering gas told me, it takes him an hour, hour and a half to cross the bridge, as it is so backed up.

But good news! There IS another bridge!

An hour and a half south of Memphis at Helena, AR.

I guess this is what happens when you don't pay a dime into infrastructure for 50 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Infrastructure is COMMUNISM, war on drugs is PENIS! Wait I may have paraphrased the movie wrong...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am surprised no one has started Bridge Chat in here yet.

The main bridge across the Mississippi, connecting Arkansas and Memphis has been shut down for a few weeks so far.

The Bridge gets inspected every 2 years. This year, the Inspector found a "crack" in one of the main support beams that run the entire length of the bridge.

The word used is "crack" but:

I guess this is what happens when you don't pay a dime into infrastructure for 50 years.

That didn't look that bad, almost like an expansion joint got skewed a little bit, but then I looked up an article where there were more pictures, oh poo poo :psyduck:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sloppy posted:

That didn't look that bad, almost like an expansion joint got skewed a little bit, but then I looked up an article where there were more pictures, oh poo poo :psyduck:

That is many things but a "crack" is way too little to be one of them. That's not even one beam any more.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Plenty of room for it to expand now! :v:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

no switch on the wall plate and no shutters on the socket (as standard) are the big ones.

Why would anyone want a switch built into the outlet? I can maybe think of a few times that might be useful, but it would mainly just add cost for no benefit. If you really want your device powered down and you're reaching towards the outlet, just unplug it.

Modern US code now requires 'shutters', A.K.A. tamper-resistant receptacles, pretty much everywhere (except high where kids can't reach.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For instance if you want to completely turn off your PC or TV+receiver in order to save power, a switch on the outlet is very handy.

Plus the reasoning that the sparky bits are inside the switch, rather than in the socket itself.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Plenty of things wrong with American plugs, fuses are low on the list.

Non-shielded pins, no switch on the wall plate and no shutters on the socket (as standard) are the big ones.

i'd order that
1) shielded pins
2) fuses on cords smaller than 12 gauge (so...most of them)
3) tamper-resistant outlets
4-99) anything else
100) wall plate switches

what in the hell is the point of switching every outlet! if you are being stupid by yanking appliances out of the wall while they're running and getting sparks you are definitely not going to use an outlet switch anyway! if you are worried about the hazard of accidentally touching those unshielded pins while removing a cord...then let's shield those pins, yeah? seems better than introducing a new point of failure into every single outlet.

pettily, i'd also like for shielded pins to be adopted so i can stop having the same loving conversation about "upside-down" plugs and the edge cases of metal objects falling onto exposed pins

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Having a switch on a socket allows you to turn the device off without having to unplug it. Handy when lots of devices don't switch off anymore and only go onto standby. It also allows you to stop power without having to touch the cable and still having the earth connected.

It is an extra level of redundancy and convenience.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

KozmoNaut posted:

For instance if you want to completely turn off your PC or TV+receiver in order to save power, a switch on the outlet is very handy.

Sorry friend, you're victim blaming yourself. Indicator LEDs draw miliwatts. Sleeping electronics draw watts. If you're saving power to save money, you'll save maybe a quarter a month in a whole house. If you're saving power to save the environment, most emissions are caused by a hundred companies, not individuals.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wonder what sort of time period would be required to make up the cost difference in a switched vs non switched outlet by cutting power to sleeping electronics.

Also curious how reliable people who talk about saving power are about actually flipping the switch on said outlets.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bad Munki posted:

Also curious how reliable people who talk about saving power are about actually flipping the switch on said outlets.

Even if they're reliable, they're sure as poo poo not representative.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Bad Munki posted:

I wonder what sort of time period would be required to make up the cost difference in a switched vs non switched outlet by cutting power to sleeping electronics.

My boss had a phase where he'd make everyone power off their monitors at night. It was really annoying, to the point he'd give lectures and grumpy reprimands. I eventually did the rough math and we were saving literally pennies a year, he stopped bugging everyone finally.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: nvm I missed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Happiness Commando posted:

Sorry friend, you're victim blaming yourself. Indicator LEDs draw miliwatts. Sleeping electronics draw watts. If you're saving power to save money, you'll save maybe a quarter a month in a whole house. If you're saving power to save the environment, most emissions are caused by a hundred companies, not individuals.

This is because those are the oil companies who provide the fuel that gets burned. It's good to take them to task for their poo poo, but it's wrong to assign full blame when we're the ones drawing the electricity from the plants and driving the cars that do the burning.