Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
It's basically just asking if there's much difference between someone who is openly denying reality in bad faith vs someone who is openly denying reality in good faith.

I got my first dose and my arm was only sore for half a day. I feel robbed, where's my full vaccine experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Argas posted:

It's basically just asking if there's much difference between someone who is openly denying reality in bad faith vs someone who is openly denying reality in good faith.

I got my first dose and my arm was only sore for half a day. I feel robbed, where's my full vaccine experience?

Oh, you have to take a nap first so your body can do a system update and get the latest firmware.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Murgos posted:

I should have guessed that the details of the conspiracy would be even more absurd than I could imagine.

edit: "Yeah I was at the science museum and they had this display where you hold a magnet up to this black liquid and it totally changed shape. Yep, I see exactly how an infinitesimally small amount of that could be used to make people into robots."
You can do some cool things like make a microscopic worm curl up with a magnet but that's about where science is at. The more developed sibling-science of optogenetics got big in the news recently as a gene therapy that restored some limited sight to a blind person using gene therapy, but phrases like "the magnetogenetic control of neuronal activity" are catnip to tinfoil hatters so the vaccine is simultaneously an advanced gene therapy that places magnetogenetic proteins in your neurons so that you can be controlled at will by the Zionist 5G towers and also a ferrofluid nanoparticle that you can test for with a fridge magnet, because of a secretive phenomenon known as the 'loving idiot sphere'.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The real Manchurian candidate is wooly Willy

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

The real Manchurian candidate is wooly Willy

That's just Ted Cruz's lovely beard

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Argas posted:

It's the second dose which you can feel, apparently.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A while ago people were freaking about about "shedding" viral spike protein after the vaccination, as in they learnt the word "shed" for the first time after people who were worried that SARS-CoV-2 is dangerous were using the word properly.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

exmachina posted:

It's the second dose which you can feel, apparently.

The second dose did knock me out for about a day but it was less a fever type sickness and more physical exhaustion and some kind of mild total pain response. Went away the night of the next day after the vaccine. Some coworkers of mine had it better some had it worse.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Guavanaut posted:

You can do some cool things like make a microscopic worm curl up with a magnet but that's about where science is at. The more developed sibling-science of optogenetics got big in the news recently as a gene therapy that restored some limited sight to a blind person using gene therapy, but phrases like "the magnetogenetic control of neuronal activity" are catnip to tinfoil hatters so the vaccine is simultaneously an advanced gene therapy that places magnetogenetic proteins in your neurons so that you can be controlled at will by the Zionist 5G towers and also a ferrofluid nanoparticle that you can test for with a fridge magnet, because of a secretive phenomenon known as the 'loving idiot sphere'.

Eh I mean we can do cool stuff with magnetism like making frogs hover, MRI machines, or the opposite of MRI which is magnetically stimulating nerves. Sci Fi uses those techniques as a basis for speculative brain-computer-interfaces. So in the context of all the other Q ideas the nanoparticles aren't much more insane than adrenochrome lizards or quantum finance

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Eh I mean we can do cool stuff with magnetism like making frogs hover, MRI machines, or the opposite of MRI which is magnetically stimulating nerves. Sci Fi uses those techniques as a basis for speculative brain-computer-interfaces. So in the context of all the other Q ideas the nanoparticles aren't much more insane than adrenochrome lizards or quantum finance

Yeah, on the crazy scale magnetic nanoparticles are probably more believable than a drug made from the blood of terrified children. Or other fluids.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the specific overlap of cutting edge "secret magnetogenetics is decades ahead of where They want you to think it is, and the mRNA vaccine is a gene therapy that will make your neurons magnetogenetic to be controlled by the electromagnetic fields from 5G" and the kitchen science "and you can prove this with a fridge magnet" that makes it Q crazy, but yes, not much different to "they're making an easily synthesized clotting agent out of tunnels full of trafficked children for evil reasons" in terms of wrongness.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

So, a conspiracy that requires every bank teller in the world to be in on it? Like, don't these people know any bank workers?

This is drifting, no hurtling, in the direction of what Robert Anton Wilson called a strange loop - a conspiracy so vast and pervasive that anything could be true. Like the old style wingnut ideas that every dentist was in cahoots, or that all women were witches.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ron watkin' proof that adrenochrome is real was because some chinese lab published some study of adrenal corticosteroids

corticosteroids are not adrenaline, and is not oxidized adrenaline aka "adrenochrome". corticosteroids are what they gave donald trump when he got sicc from covid

yet another reminder that q people are stupid as poo poo

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

nonathlon posted:

So, a conspiracy that requires every bank teller in the world to be in on it? Like, don't these people know any bank workers?

This is drifting, no hurtling, in the direction of what Robert Anton Wilson called a strange loop - a conspiracy so vast and pervasive that anything could be true. Like the old style wingnut ideas that every dentist was in cahoots, or that all women were witches.

I think the banks have weaponized Q idiocy to make some money or it's a truly magnificent troll intended to saddle these idiots with a lifetime of debt.

Apparently it evolved from this known scam :

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/...pace-alien.html

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nonathlon posted:

So, a conspiracy that requires every (((bank teller)) in the world to be in on it? Like, don't these people know any (((bank workers)))?

I hth op

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Operation Warp Speed was a Trump initiative to fund multiple COVID vaccines at a high enough rate to accelerate their test and certification process to bring at least one to market as fast as possible.

But it’s a democrat conspiracy to control people through invisible super secret technology.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I think the banks have weaponized Q idiocy to make some money or it's a truly magnificent troll intended to saddle these idiots with a lifetime of debt.

Apparently it evolved from this known scam :

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/...pace-alien.html

That link has lead in turn to this "Organised Psuedolegal Commercial Arguments as Magic and Ceremony", an academic paper on the arguements mounted by various sovereign citizens, Freeman on the land, etc. Real interesting:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321936848_Organized_Pseudolegal_Commercial_Arguments_OPCA_as_Magic_and_Ceremony

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If trump had won in 2020, would he have encouraged people to get vaccinated with the vaccines that he ordered, or would he have told people covid wasn’t real and that the vaccine was a conspiracy?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Probably both

E: possibly in the same sentence

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I dont think he ever would have brought up covid again, tbh.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Martian posted:

Probably both

E: possibly in the same sentence

Indeed. He would have told a long, rambling anecdote of big, strong, manly men who had never cried in their lives coming up to him with tears in their eyes, saying, "Sir, thank you for the vaccine," and then in the very next breath denying the virus existed at all or if it did was a liberal hoax and no worse than the common cold.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If trump had won in 2020, would he have encouraged people to get vaccinated with the vaccines that he ordered, or would he have told people covid wasn’t real and that the vaccine was a conspiracy?

He would have called them the greatest, most incredible and quickly developed vaccines in all of history where many people are saying they've never seen anything like it before and the fake news media won't report it. Then he probably was about 50/50 to claim he personally invented the vaccine and deny ever calling it a hoax.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BiggerBoat posted:

He would have called them the greatest, most incredible and quickly developed vaccines in all of history where many people are saying they've never seen anything like it before and the fake news media won't report it. Then he probably was about 50/50 to claim he personally invented the vaccine and deny ever calling it a hoax.

This is almost right, but so wrong, because in the next sentence he would've said it was a Chinese bioweapon, and then gone on to say it was a hoax. And then he would've come up with some breathtakingly stupid non-sequitur that none of us could imagine.

And probably written an executive order requiring all states to stop testing for the virus, and then declared the virus fixed (not cured).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I am honestly surprised he didn't just have vials of vitamin b-12 shipped across the country and just called it a vaccine.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Also he would have made at least one Executive Order banning "Vaccine passports" that would be vague and toothless

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Or simply made a tweet decreeing that he had banned them but never having drafted any sort of actual EO, comprehensible or otherwise.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There's got to be some good news against QAnon this month...
I'm gonna need some evidence that the FBI et al is doing their damndest to bring the 1/6ers to justice and contain the rest.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

nonathlon posted:

That link has lead in turn to this "Organised Psuedolegal Commercial Arguments as Magic and Ceremony", an academic paper on the arguements mounted by various sovereign citizens, Freeman on the land, etc. Real interesting:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321936848_Organized_Pseudolegal_Commercial_Arguments_OPCA_as_Magic_and_Ceremony

What an great read - thanks for this! I'll share this quote from that article because I think it does a nice job of describing the internet-age conspiracy theorist:

Donald Netolitzky posted:

Political scientist Michael Barkun argues conspiracy and politically extreme thoughts can be divided into two categories. Traditional conspiracy theory begins with an organizing theme, such as that the Catholic Church represents a secret menace, or that a secret society such as the Illuminati exert broad and concealed influence.

Barkun observes that an entirely new kind of conspiracy culture has emerged in the past several decades, what he calls “improvisational millennialism.” An improvisational millennialist conspiracy does not focus on a particular evildoer, but instead on how hidden actors drive an impending crisis that threatens a dramatic shift to a “New World Order.” While traditional conspiracies seek potentially hidden or suppressed evidence to confirm a conspiracy, improvisational millennialism “is characterized by relentless and seemingly indiscriminate borrowing.” Improvisational millennialism collects and adds existing conspiratorial and marginal beliefs to an ever-growing collage of data that (purportedly) relates to the hidden dark design. Put another way, conventional conspiracy theories focus on a known enemy whose actions are concealed. Improvisational millennialism sees the dark design everywhere, but the directing minds of the impending New World Order remain in the shadows, or are perhaps unknowable, hidden behind layers of proxy actors.

Improvisational millenialist conspiracy cultures identify relevant information by whether it is denied, marginalized, hidden, or suppressed. Barkun calls this “stigmatized knowledge.” Stigmatized knowledge is reliable and relevant because it is commonly rejected. The Internet has supercharged the distribution and “legitimization” of stigmatized knowledge among improvisational millenialist communities, and facilitated “millenarian entrepreneurs” who market these conspiracies. ...

... Barkun’s improvisational millennialism concept explains why some [conspiracy theorists] are entirely untroubled by the fact that their pseudolaw is grounded on obsolete legal dictionaries and outdated court decisions, uses principles allegedly distilled from religious texts or that are handed down from ill-defined (or unknown) precursors, all of which is taught via “Youtube videos of men scribbling on whiteboards.” These sources are reliable because they are marginalized, rejected by legal authorities, amateur, and often incoherent. The same is true for political and social misconceptions found in the broader communities that host pseudolaw. The toxic and mind-control effects of “chemtrails,” chemicals clandestinely disseminated in aircraft exhaust, is confirmed by the absence of evidence to support that. Vaccines must cause harm because the medical and scientific establishment says otherwise. Banks create money “out of thin air” because they insist that borrowers pay back their so-called “loans.”

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Lucasar posted:

What an great read - thanks for this! I'll share this quote from that article because I think it does a nice job of describing the internet-age conspiracy theorist:

I like that we've moved on from:

quote:

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
-Rumsfeld on to

quote:

The absence of evidence is evidence of presence
-Qanon

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah. We have a serious mental illness problem in this country, and on top of that, I believe with all my heart that the American populace, as a whole, and I mean when you look at the average from top to bottom, is more stupid today than at any time in previous American history. And more stupid than the average populace of a lot of other countries.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Grouchio posted:

There's got to be some good news against QAnon this month...
I'm gonna need some evidence that the FBI et al is doing their damndest to bring the 1/6ers to justice and contain the rest.

I like the way they keep us in the loop on that.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-cases

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
When I heard the Republicans in the Senate blocked the investigation into the 1/6 attempted coup, I was thinking about how this actually plays into the Qanon conspiracy theorists pretty perfectly. "Antifa and BLM were behind the false flag attacks, and the liberal establishment GOP is in league with the Democrats and don't want that truth to be known to the public because it would show how corrupt they all are."

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Yeah. We have a serious mental illness problem in this country, and on top of that, I believe with all my heart that the American populace, as a whole, and I mean when you look at the average from top to bottom, is more stupid today than at any time in previous American history. And more stupid than the average populace of a lot of other countries.

I'm not sure about more stupid than before, but I think less humble, less secure, more invested, and more visible.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
We are just as stupid as we always were, but there's far more misinformation getting pumped into people's brains.

Getting educated makes you realize how much you don't know and how much complexity there is in the world; that results in being skeptical of simple solutions to complex problems laid out in some ten minute YouTube video.

Uneducated people think Alex Jones can know more than scientists.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 30, 2021

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

indiscriminately posted:

I'm not sure about more stupid than before, but I think less humble, less secure, more invested, and more visible.

Yeah I think there is a difference between knowledge and information that people largely don't respect. Knowledge is cultivated where as information is merely gathered or collected (or invented). Contemporary Americans have so much information due to high levels of basic literacy and the internet - but they aren't necessarily smarter because of that access. Just repeating "facts" you've encountered is so often tough to distinguish from knowing what you're talking about. It isn't that people are stupider; it's that they don't realize they aren't smarter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How scary would you compare Qanon now compared to the last year of Trump's term? (not 1/6 itself I mean the Trump admin in 2020)

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Violent mentally ill far right types with firearms have always and will always be dangerous.

Qanon isn't doing that to them it just gives them an excuse currently.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Grouchio posted:

How scary would you compare Qanon now compared to the last year of Trump's term? (not 1/6 itself I mean the Trump admin in 2020)

It seems to be transforming into a longer term 'grassroots' thing in local/state politics. From the outside (I'm Australian) it's pretty terrifying that they are apparently slowly but steadily taking over the Republican party despite having just launched a (clear) attack on your democracy (as opposed to the subtle tearing down McConnell style). I mean, hopefully it dooms the Republican party to a permanent opposition, but I have a lot of faith in how poo poo your democratic system is that they've got every chance of coming back into power with either Trump or some much scarier nutcase at the fore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chadzok posted:

It seems to be transforming into a longer term 'grassroots' thing in local/state politics. From the outside (I'm Australian) it's pretty terrifying that they are apparently slowly but steadily taking over the Republican party despite having just launched a (clear) attack on your democracy (as opposed to the subtle tearing down McConnell style). I mean, hopefully it dooms the Republican party to a permanent opposition, but I have a lot of faith in how poo poo your democratic system is that they've got every chance of coming back into power with either Trump or some much scarier nutcase at the fore.

Every democracy in the Americas that based its constitution on the US constitution collapsed during the 20th century. You might say that’s because the US hosed with them, but the US is now weak enough that some foreign powers can gently caress with us.

If regional firefights start involving armed militias here, I fully expect somebody out there to arm them and give them money—maybe even a nonstate actor like Peter Thiel or the Mercers. C21 is getting wild in the remnants of the imperial core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't pretend to know what's what anymore beyond the whole "this poo poo is certifiably crazy" stuff, but I'll tell you guys this much (and this is going out to the SA/CIA deep cover ops that Glen Beck uncovered WAY back in the day before we proved Obama was a Muslim):

13 years later after volunteering for Obama, knocking on doors and for all the posting I've done and protests I've attended since, to this day not one loving Soros Buck. Some loving bullshit you ask me. PM me for details on where to get my checks because I'm up against a few things at the moment and could use someone on the inside who knows what's up.

I'm beginning to think that all this talk about a secretly funded BLM/Antifa coup and all the work I did rigging elections by voting 5 times and the fake rioting I did fueled by all that adrenochrome may not pay off.

I'm losing faith, times are deperate and would appreciate someone pointing me towards the right path here.