Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rhaka posted:

My girlfriend is starting a new job in front-end web dev, and has a ridiculous $3000 hardware budget to blow on a work laptop and peripherals, to be ordered next week.

None of her work tasks are GPU intensive, just CPU and RAM. She does do digital art as well, so good screen/color and possibly a good tablet mode would be nice. Will be dual booting into linux.

I figure, blow 2kish on a new machine, buy a good dock solution and maybe one or two 4k screens to hook the laptop up to.

Any suggestions in these price ranges of what to look out for? Eyeing the razer blade pro & zenbook pro duo, but might be spending on a GPU that sees little use.

PC only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Yeah, PC only. She dunks on Macbooks ruthlessly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rhaka posted:

Yeah, PC only. She dunks on Macbooks ruthlessly.

For a smaller screen maybe a HP Elite Dragonfly Max
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/h...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For a bigger screen but still light, the LG Gram 17:
https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z90n-r.aas9u1-ultra-slim-laptop (OOS there, but it's in stock other places)

Maybe the Dell XPS would also be worth poking through. Similar to Razer I think you'd be better off getting something cooler/lighter.

Maybe also peek at the Surface Laptop 4?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'd be super scared to buy a laptop with the express purpose of dual-booting unless I had made sure whatever OS I want to use has very up to date guides to how to do it on that device, or at the very least at least one person on reddit going "yeah I got it to work." my roommate has to dual boot for their job and has been in absolute hell (with an XPS!) after some Windows or firmware update hosed everything up and hasn't even been able to get a USB drive properly flashed to boot Linux to repair or reinstall, apparently

otoh for most front-end dev they should be fine to just use WSL2; it works 100% perfectly if you're using VSCode (and IntelliJ/WebStorm/etc work surprisingly well with an X server) and the only system requirement is just to have 16+ gigs of RAM since you'll need space for the VM (maybe 32 given the budget, especially if they're going to be working on an existing codebase - I've seen some Webpack setups in large codebases get up to nightmarish levels of memory requirements...)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 26, 2021

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'm liking the Surface Laptop 4 with the 32GB RAM configuration, but there doesn't actually seem to be any stock. Hrm.

Is dual-booting linux such an issue? I've never had much trouble with it on past laptops, but I did barely touch it... Some digging turned up https://system76.com/laptops/oryx, is that any good?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly laptops are so cheap these days I can't remember the last time I set one up with went through the hassle of doing dual boot. Just figure out what you're going to use primarily and install that. Run windows or whatever in virtualbox or whatever the latest VMware consumer product is

If you absolutely have to have a windows box, just repurpose an old machine to run it

bull3964 posted:

USB-IF is proposing a 240w extension to USB-C

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2021/5/25/22453936/usb-c-power-delivery-extended-power-range-epr

And just like that, all docks cried out, hearing their obsolescence approach.

Oh, gently caress yeah. Now we're really getting universal. What is this, usb4? 4.1? 5?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hadlock posted:

Oh, gently caress yeah. Now we're really getting universal. What is this, usb4? 4.1? 5?

Type 2.1

This is the USB-C spec (physical). Not the overall USB spec.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just ordered an Asus Strix G15 G513 (5900HX, 3060). I miss having a laptop that can run games and my old MSI with its 3GB GTX970m and Broadwell i7 just wasn't cutting it. It was a fine machine though, still runs great. This will be the first Asus laptop I've purchased since my Asus G1s back in 2007. Which died when the GeForce 8600m GT nuked itself.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I think it's time I upgrade/replace my gaming laptop. I've had it since 2013 and all I've really done to it hardware-wise is upgrade the HD to an SSD and occasionally crack it open to blow dust and apply new thermal paste every few years. It's starting to get weird stuttering issues, crashes, and one of the internal fans appears to be shot. That makes me lean to think overheating is the cause and a replacement fan will do the trick, but at this point it's time to update/upgrade even if that fixes it.

Old laptop was a Lenovo ideapad y510p which was hot poo poo for its time. Problem is I have no idea what the current hotness is and all.
Any recommendations? I'm not looking for the cheapest option as I want something that can handle high vfx settings on currently released games but I don't want to drop more than $2.5k-$3k.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

frogge posted:

I think it's time I upgrade/replace my gaming laptop. I've had it since 2013 and all I've really done to it hardware-wise is upgrade the HD to an SSD and occasionally crack it open to blow dust and apply new thermal paste every few years. It's starting to get weird stuttering issues, crashes, and one of the internal fans appears to be shot. That makes me lean to think overheating is the cause and a replacement fan will do the trick, but at this point it's time to update/upgrade even if that fixes it.

Old laptop was a Lenovo ideapad y510p which was hot poo poo for its time. Problem is I have no idea what the current hotness is and all.
Any recommendations? I'm not looking for the cheapest option as I want something that can handle high vfx settings on currently released games but I don't want to drop more than $2.5k-$3k.

Best Value would be a ROG G15/14. ~1500 for a 3060. HP Omen isn't bad for ~1100-1400 but you get higher quality from the ROG.

You could step up to something with a 3070, like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...-grey/6448848.p

Basically trading battery life for some extra perf. I wouldn't bother with the 3080, honestly.

Shout out to the Legion Laptop too, those are supposedly pretty equivalent quality to the ROG for about the same price. If you enjoyed your y510p the Legion might be a nice switchover.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lockback posted:

Best Value would be a ROG G15/14. ~1500 for a 3060. HP Omen isn't bad for ~1100-1400 but you get higher quality from the ROG.

You could step up to something with a 3070, like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...-grey/6448848.p

Basically trading battery life for some extra perf. I wouldn't bother with the 3080, honestly.

Shout out to the Legion Laptop too, those are supposedly pretty equivalent quality to the ROG for about the same price. If you enjoyed your y510p the Legion might be a nice switchover.

If only this year's Legion models weren't basically vaporware in the US. One thing to note for the 2020 models is that the Legion 7's hinge design is terrible since it's basically two rivets through a tiny piece of metal on each side.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've found conflicting information about which 3060/3070 is in the G15 and the HP Omens. Anyone know which is which

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Lockback posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Taerkar posted:

I've found conflicting information about which 3060/3070 is in the G15 and the HP Omens. Anyone know which is which

I believe the HP's are using 80watt (use to be labeled Max-Q) versions, while the G15 is 115W (Max-P).

That is just what I've seen the last week from various comments online.

E:

frogge posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info.

My Asus Strix G15 G513 (3060GPU) should be here in a couple days. I can share some initial impressions if you'd like. I'm coming from an older MSI machine.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Sure! I'm not going to pull the trigger on a replacement just yet because I want to take some time to research my options.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mental Hospitality posted:

I believe the HP's are using 80watt (use to be labeled Max-Q) versions, while the G15 is 115W (Max-P).

So it looks like I'd have to drop ~$250 more for the Max-P instead of the Max-Q, but is the performance difference that great?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Taerkar posted:

So it looks like I'd have to drop ~$250 more for the Max-P instead of the Max-Q, but is the performance difference that great?

I honestly don't know if 250 dollars is worth the performance delta, but I didn't do a lot of research between the two wattage 3060's. I think the difference is about 10-15%(?) I looked at the Omen's but decided to spend a bit more for the Asus. A few things about it enticed me; I like not having a numbpad and thus a centered trackpad (kinda weird I guess). I've also read the cooling setup on the Asus isn't as loud as HP's. Granted both are probably going to be kind of annoying while stressing the system, but for all the times I'm not, I wanted a quieter system.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Summer is usually when laptop sales are? Is there a deals thread that's better to watch, or is this a decent one? I need a personal laptop for business but I'm making do without one for now.

Also, I'm looking at a 2-in-1 because I think they are interesting, is there one that is more durable than others? I'm not super concerned with performance otherwise, but I'll probably be lugging it around in a backpack frequently. Budget is probably like $1k at top, but would prefer ~$700.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They'll start now but slow. Late July into August is when it picks up and then peaks around November. That said, this year might be way different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really wouldn't expect much for sales this year with how supply is.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah that was kind of the unspoken question. I have no idea what supply of computer stuff looks like, should I just try to pick up something sooner rather than later? Just looking for any opinion aside from asking my cat.

No help at all

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My Asus Strix G15 G513 (3060GPU) should be here in a couple days. I can share some initial impressions if you'd like. I'm coming from an older MSI machine.

Also I assume you ordered this straight from Asus? How long did it take to get it from when you ordered it?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 28, 2021

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I ordered it from here https://www.adorama.com/ on Wednesday, UPS says it should be here tomorrow.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Looking at one of these as well - would be interesting know whether the initial quality control issues (speakers) are still present and how solid the build quality is.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Notebook Check Review of the updated HP Envy x360 15.6in with a Ryzen 5700U. An absolutely stellar CPU, with a good screen, quiet cooling, and a nearly 10 hour battery life.

Sorry it is out of stock.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've gotten a few Envy x360s for work in the past and we've been pretty pleased with them.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just opened up new Asus G15 G513. I absolutely love the silent mode in the Asus software. It's great for web browsing, watching videos. Fans never turn on. I guess that's the benefit of having a lot of thermal mass to handle gaming.

It also has really nice speakers. Probably the best I've had in a 15.6 inch laptop. The Dolby software actually does things, and is noticeable!

I'll have to wait a few days to really stretch out its capabilities though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I decided to kill my Omen order and hunt for something that I will get in less than a month. Definitely eyeing that Asus one as from what I found the 115w 3060 is pretty comparable to the 80w 3070.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm considering buying a Lenovo Yoga 9i to replace my Yoga 720, which has been my all-purpose work/personal/low-end gaming laptop for three years and has served me well except for once six months after I bought it when it broke completely and I had to go pay a Russian guy $50 to fix the insides (I still don't fully know what happened to it). I don't know very much about computers or laptops which is probably why I'm gravitating to buying the newest version of the laptop I'm currently using, and reading laptop reviews and looking at the specs it seems like the 9i would be a pretty significant upgrade, but there's probably something I'm missing. Is there anything I should know before actually pulling the trigger here?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

One mishap with the Asus G15. Some asus software summoned a keyboard firmware update, okay whatever, another screen pops up requesting a restart to finish an update. Must not have been the keyboard because when I restarted it, the keyboard was completely nonfunctional. Thank god for the on screen keyboard. After a few minutes the Asus software ran again and the keyboard regained functionality. But I almost lost my poo poo.

So, if you ever see a screen popup with a keyboard firmware update on a new Asus; Just leave it be!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your cat may have better opinions than this thread, or at least be more accurate

Laptop sales typically do not happen during back to school, which kicks off June 1 and ends ~september 30

Laptop sales typically happen when the market is saturated with last year's Intel processors. Intel has been really struggling to produce chips since 2018 so people are willing to pay full price for the CPUs of and when they can get their hands on them

Try next year

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This is my first time with a Windows gaming system - is all this poo poo like Armoury Crate, MyAsus, and GeForce Experience actually useful or just bloatware?

Armoury Crate for example keeps barking about my browser using the graphics card when I'm not plugged in. With all the stupid lights and buttons on this Asus G14 I wish they just had a discrete/integrated button (maybe they do?)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hi laptop thread. I have a dock question. I have a Dell Latitude 5591 for work, which was supplied with a TB16 dock, plugging into the USB-C or Thunderbolt or whatever it is port. This dock died towards the end of 2019, and I didn't get around to sorting it out before the pandemic, at which point my laptop was on my desk almost permanently, so I've just had the peripherals plugged in directly.

Now I'm starting back on field work I'd like to get it sorted. My question: the TB16 wasn't great anyway, and is quite expensive, so I'm wondering if there's an alternative, but I'm having trouble figuring out the whole USB-C/Thunderbolt power delivery thing.

Requirements:

- Power via the connector
- 1x 4K monitor (3840x2160) only, running with the laptop closed at all times (monitor takes DP or HDMI) - needs to run at 60Hz
- The usual USB peripherals
- 2 network connections, 1 via USB adapter

Does such a thing exist, or am I stuck with the Dell dock?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Helicity posted:

This is my first time with a Windows gaming system - is all this poo poo like Armoury Crate, MyAsus, and GeForce Experience actually useful or just bloatware?

Armoury Crate for example keeps barking about my browser using the graphics card when I'm not plugged in. With all the stupid lights and buttons on this Asus G14 I wish they just had a discrete/integrated button (maybe they do?)

You can get rid of all of it. But I've had no problem with Geforce Experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Armoury Crate is important for controlling fan curves and the dynamic boost, I wouldn't get rid of it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bobstar posted:

Hi laptop thread. I have a dock question. I have a Dell Latitude 5591 for work, which was supplied with a TB16 dock, plugging into the USB-C or Thunderbolt or whatever it is port. This dock died towards the end of 2019, and I didn't get around to sorting it out before the pandemic, at which point my laptop was on my desk almost permanently, so I've just had the peripherals plugged in directly.

Now I'm starting back on field work I'd like to get it sorted. My question: the TB16 wasn't great anyway, and is quite expensive, so I'm wondering if there's an alternative, but I'm having trouble figuring out the whole USB-C/Thunderbolt power delivery thing.

Requirements:

- Power via the connector
- 1x 4K monitor (3840x2160) only, running with the laptop closed at all times (monitor takes DP or HDMI) - needs to run at 60Hz
- The usual USB peripherals
- 2 network connections, 1 via USB adapter

Does such a thing exist, or am I stuck with the Dell dock?

Any TB3 dock will do. I have always had success with the Lenovo docks, even with Dell laptops.

You could also get one of those little USB-C dongles instead of a dock. You would need to get a decent one that had ethernet, DP, and PD input, with enough USB ports for your extra ethernet interface and other devices.
A dock is "nicer" though, especially if work is buying it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My work setup includes two USB-C dongles , two laptops, a single cooling pad, two monitors, and a KVM switch. Lots of wires..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rhaka posted:

I'm liking the Surface Laptop 4 with the 32GB RAM configuration, but there doesn't actually seem to be any stock. Hrm.

Is dual-booting linux such an issue? I've never had much trouble with it on past laptops, but I did barely touch it... Some digging turned up https://system76.com/laptops/oryx, is that any good?

Two things... one, as an IT professional, I've seen SurfaceBooks have like double the fail rate of any other brand of laptop we buy, and we buy hundreds of each. Microsoft still takes a sort of Xbox 360 "gently caress it, we know you'll just buy another" approach to quality control. I've seen the Surface Laptop batteries inflate, screens crack from light handling and an assortment of weirdness, all about 1 day after the warranty expires. SurfaceBooks where the keyboard half permanently loses connection with the top half. Caveat Emptor.

Two, consider the Asus or HP 15-inch 2-in-1 convertible OLED laptops. I got my Asus to "dual-boot" to Linux using a Live Ubuntu USB. It was nightmarishly difficult to get them to actually dual-boot with both OS on the SSD and I gave up after 12 hours of attempts. I think it would be similarly hard to do on any Wintel laptop with extremely recent hardware; the issues seemed to stem from the Intel/NVidia drivers, and the modern UEFI environment. I wound up natively installing just the Ubuntu instead of dual-booting, as I wound up using it exclusively to remote into a Windows desktop and appreciated the better thermals and stability on Linux.

Anyway, both the Asus and HP have the same Samsung 4K OLED screen which looks absurdly bright and vivid. The screen is totally uniform, no backlight bleed like IPS panels, colors are good enough to lick and brightness is way higher than an IPS (the claimed 400 NIT oled was WAY brighter than the claimed 500 nit IPS right next to it in person).

The Asus model that I own (I liked the stiffer hinge, trackpad, and quieter fan noise vs. the HP, but the HP has some other merits): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-z...p?skuId=6436221

The HP model that I tried was also Best Buy but is sold out there, you can configure it from the 15-inch selections at their site: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/mdp/laptops/hp-spectre-x360-15-3074457345617433669--1#!&tab=vao

The combination of the incredibly good OLED screen (with top notch color accuracy and pantone-calibration out of the box), and both of them having touch and active Stylus support, seems like it would be a slam dunk for your girlfriend. She can just fold it into a tablet or a tent mode and work comfortably.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 31, 2021

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Notebook Check Review of the updated HP Envy x360 15.6in with a Ryzen 5700U. An absolutely stellar CPU, with a good screen, quiet cooling, and a nearly 10 hour battery life.

Sorry it is out of stock.

I had this laptop for a week or so, ended up returning it cause the cpu was a dud. It's a very nice laptop, but I'm kind of surprised that the review glossed over the glossy screen (heh). It's an absurd amount of gloss, to the point where its somewhat difficult to use in sunlight unless you crank up the brightness all the way. I can't really comment on the performance otherwise since the cpu was busted, but anyone looking at this model, just be sure you're okay with a super glossy (but also super nice colors) screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, AMD just dropped the 6800M which gives RTX3080 performance for like $500 less.