Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you just looking for some over the top PC and don't care much about cost? I would consider a Corsair One in the $4,000 range if you like powerful components in a customized smaller frame. That Falcon is mostly just off-the-shelf parts that makes it less special.

I'm looking for "higher-end", but it doesn't have to be some absurdist build. For reasons detailed below, I was looking at a Falcon, and they start at $3700, so there wasn't much of a change from that (also, some options like the Motherboard are just the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, no lesser option). I was using their configuration tool (can't figure out how to link the exact build, but there aren't many options).

The main consideration on the Falcon was they list all their components and who makes them, so I know I'd get like an ATI-manufactured video card, and a specific motherboard and the like. Not that having one from ATI directly is a big deal (they also sell 3rd-party manufacturers, like EVGA), just that I can price it better than "some unknown 6800 we could get". Also, they've probably got the best cases and build quality I've ever seen, if their design is to be believed--I haven't seen this exact case in-person.

But, the build comes at a premium, and I began to wonder if the price was more paying a premium for the build, or just due to component shortages, or some combination of other factors. If MSRP is $2500 for those components,it means I'm paying $1500 for the build (plus the case and fans and things). For comparison, the Alienware or Corsair build is around $3-3.3k, but with no detail on component manufacturers outside of the CPU.

I looked at a couple manufacturers (Alienware, IBP, CPP, a few no-names), but either didn't like the components, thought the cases looked stupid, or both. I could build my own, but if the price for a Falcon build is going to be similar to the price for buying components from scalpers, I'd rather pay for the build.

roomforthetuna posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zdGTJ - I had to bump the CPU up to 16 cores from your 12 because there was no price available for the 12, and the motherboard is a "Hero" rather than a "Dark Hero", I don't know what difference that makes, the very short spec was the same. It's basically same price for what you said, but with a better CPU, I don't know what the price difference is between those CPUs. I also didn't include the "case/fans" which would add maybe $90 if you're sensible or $200 if you're silly.

Where can you get a case with 4mm aluminum plating, fans, and an Asetek liquid cooler for $200? That seems extraordinarily cheap to me, it's like a Mac Pro case and the closest fans are the Noiseblocker eLoop for $30 each. The Dune Pro is $250 alone, and that's with only 3mm aluminum. I was mentally estimating the case, fans, and cooler to be around $400 (can't buy the case alone).

e: so by my estimates then, component MSRP is around $2500, if the case/fans/etc are $400 or so, that means there's about $1000 in markup, between silicon availability and labor for building? Does that seem right?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you need someone to just say "yes buy the PC" then I'm here to say "yes buy the PC"

You're welcome

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

interrodactyl posted:

If you need someone to just say "yes buy the PC" then I'm here to say "yes buy the PC"

You're welcome

I plan to keep shopping, I’m just trying to understand the PC market and what the prebuilts look like at the moment. I’m also more worried if components are hard to come by, does that mean manufacturers that don’t list specifics are just going to put in whatever they can get their hands on, or is there still some consideration as to “matching” everything, so you don’t end up with a $60 mobo in a $3500 build. Is any other builder else listing their specific parts, besides Falcon?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The NZXT BLD site lists specifics. People like Cyberpower PC for doing the same.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for "higher-end", but it doesn't have to be some absurdist build. For reasons detailed below, I was looking at a Falcon, and they start at $3700, so there wasn't much of a change from that (also, some options like the Motherboard are just the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, no lesser option). I was using their configuration tool (can't figure out how to link the exact build, but there aren't many options).

The main consideration on the Falcon was they list all their components and who makes them, so I know I'd get like an ATI-manufactured video card, and a specific motherboard and the like. Not that having one from ATI directly is a big deal (they also sell 3rd-party manufacturers, like EVGA), just that I can price it better than "some unknown 6800 we could get". Also, they've probably got the best cases and build quality I've ever seen, if their design is to be believed--I haven't seen this exact case in-person.

But, the build comes at a premium, and I began to wonder if the price was more paying a premium for the build, or just due to component shortages, or some combination of other factors. If MSRP is $2500 for those components,it means I'm paying $1500 for the build (plus the case and fans and things). For comparison, the Alienware or Corsair build is around $3-3.3k, but with no detail on component manufacturers outside of the CPU.

I looked at a couple manufacturers (Alienware, IBP, CPP, a few no-names), but either didn't like the components, thought the cases looked stupid, or both. I could build my own, but if the price for a Falcon build is going to be similar to the price for buying components from scalpers, I'd rather pay for the build.
Where can you get a case with 4mm aluminum plating, fans, and an Asetek liquid cooler for $200? That seems extraordinarily cheap to me, it's like a Mac Pro case and the closest fans are the Noiseblocker eLoop for $30 each. The Dune Pro is $250 alone, and that's with only 3mm aluminum. I was mentally estimating the case, fans, and cooler to be around $400 (can't buy the case alone).

e: so by my estimates then, component MSRP is around $2500, if the case/fans/etc are $400 or so, that means there's about $1000 in markup, between silicon availability and labor for building? Does that seem right?

I’m not gonna bother searching out MSRP, cause others have, but gonna focus on the flip side here.

Based on some quick googling, the build quality is seriously good on these. The case seems very well designed, and Falcon seems to focus on little touches like cable management, custom sleeving, and other nice touches.

I don’t like front mounted rads but that’s not the worst thing.

IMO, if it’s in your budget, and you find it worth it to spend that much on a PC, it’s probably a fair deal. With the amount of detail work, 3 year warranty, seemly quality case manufacturing, and the fact that it gives you access to hardware you can’t get elsewhere, I don’t think you’re getting ripped off here.

That being said, you are paying a serious premium over MSRP, and you’re paying for components that are very likely overkill. If $100-$1500 is worth all of the above to you (consider the sweat equity of all of the work to build something nice like that), and if you don’t care about spending for hardware over your use case, I’d buy it.

But seriously, it’s the kind of thing that’s very subjective. No one can tell you if its worth it to spend that extra cash. I would never because I value doing it myself, etc etc, but you might.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mu Zeta posted:

The NZXT BLD site lists specifics. People like Cyberpower PC for doing the same.

My IBuyPower build had top shelf parts and spelled them out waaay before I was able to get through the checkout queues repeatedly. I was going to be happy no matter what and did the same with my 2011 build as well. I wanted to build my own, as I did in 2015, but making a small change in psu was all I had to do to tweak my 2021 computer. It was an EVGA gold part, too, even though I didn’t know what it was going to be beforehand.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Who makes high quality cases? I’m talking like Apple-esque levels of manufacture, thick milled aluminum, glass, etc, not like the common thin stamped steel you see from everyone (eg, NZXT, Corsair, Fractal, unless they make something exceptional that isn’t commonly seen)

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Who makes high quality cases? I’m talking like Apple-esque levels of manufacture, thick milled aluminum, glass, etc, not like the common thin stamped steel you see from everyone (eg, NZXT, Corsair, Fractal, unless they make something exceptional that isn’t commonly seen)

Not sure if you meant SIs or OEMs but I’ve been impressed with the quality of Sliger cases.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

PRADA SLUT posted:

Lian Li used to be the go to for super clean aluminum cases, but I haven't checked them out lately.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FWIW its been a month with a Best Buy CyberpowerPC prebuilt with a 3070 and honestly, other than adding more fans and having sub-par airflow, the thing has worked flawlessly.

Please do not bend over and take it up the rear end for a fukin computer thank you.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
different people want different things at different price points, but again if you're building a showcase or otherwise OTT machine for gaming specifically then a 3090 is a better buy than a cpu with a million cores, imo.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dune-pro-pc-case#/

There is this, but I haven't done much research on it.

sean10mm posted:

Lian Li used to be the go to for super clean aluminum cases, but I haven't checked them out lately.

I looked... nothing like they used to do 10-15 years ago.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112106

That was my case in 2006.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
1200 bucks for a case...oof.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I wouldn't spend 4k on a pc from Falcon Northwest myself, as I have built my own so many times myself and prefer to do so. I do respect the quality of their work, however, and nearly 20 years ago now, I got one of their fragbox cases. They still sell a slightly updated model of it, and it's still one of the smallest footprint cases for a full atx board + power supply today, and it still works fine. If they're still building to that standard you could still be using it, or at least the case, many years later.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

HAHA look at this thing I found.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-030S-00010?Description=aluminum%20pc%20case&cm_re=aluminum_pc%20case-_-2AM-030S-00010-_-Product

That's some big brain motherboard orientation.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
90 fans on the bottom. How did they fit that many into such a small area?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyFit posted:

90 fans on the bottom. How did they fit that many into such a small area?

I know it says 90mm fan but you could probably fit 90 of those Raspberry Pi fans.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So realistically speaking, would this be an alright case for airflow if they had managed to fit 2x 120mm fans at the bottom? Instead of a single 90mm.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

different people want different things at different price points, but again if you're building a showcase or otherwise OTT machine for gaming specifically then a 3090 is a better buy than a cpu with a million cores, imo.

Yeah, I have to agree. I ended up with a bit slower processor, but it is upgradable over time and the mobo is solid. I had a choice for upgrading my 3070 to a 3090, but simply couldn’t afford it. It would have been perfect for longevity, but I bought the slightly under best-in-slot components so I could upgrade my gpu. Next year I can maybe get an i9 without having to buy any other parts. Maybe double or triple my RAM, nobody can forecast that far how expensive chips will be. After the gpu, I focused on a solid mobo and psu. I can “live with” everything else because top-of-the-line for everything wasn’t feasible but I made sure I could nudge it up over time. Buy the gpu or go ahead and get a prebuilt with a good one, just remember to buy stuff that may be upgrades on the same frame. If you compare specs for stuff (consumer-grade, not professional machines) like games and content creation they are nowhere near needing TotL parts. My mobo has 2x8 RAM in two slots. I still not only have two empty slots, but can later maybe afford to jump to 4x32 to hit max later as specification-creep advances. So I’m fine with that even if I’m jealous over as edge-case rig right now.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, Do any of you have experience with Amazon either taking their sweet time shipping packages or simply not providing shipping info? This past Wednesday, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the last parts I needed for my rig: the case fans, the motherboard, and a couple of fan splitter cables. The case fans were split into their own order, and have been shipped and had a tracking number attached. They show an estimated delivery date of the 2nd. However, the motherboard and the cables don't show as shipped on the site, don't have a tracking number, and just list their estimated arrival date as "Wednesday", with no date. I'm assuming something hosed up and at least one of the two things I've ordered hasn't been shipped yet. The issue is I can't even seem to find a link to any sort of support to figure out what's up.

So, in this situation, what do?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If it's being fulfilled by Amazon it could be a case where they sold something they didn't actually have in stock. I had this happen with a gamepad 2 months ago, it got to the estimated arrival date and the arrival date kept shifting back. If it gets to Wednesday and you've still heard nothing just cancel the order because actually getting through to Amazon Support is a nightmare since you need to go through their chatbot and convince it that you actually need to talk to a human because I don't think they have a support ticket system.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

njsykora posted:

If it's being fulfilled by Amazon it could be a case where they sold something they didn't actually have in stock. I had this happen with a gamepad 2 months ago, it got to the estimated arrival date and the arrival date kept shifting back. If it gets to Wednesday and you've still heard nothing just cancel the order because actually getting through to Amazon Support is a nightmare since you need to go through their chatbot and convince it that you actually need to talk to a human because I don't think they have a support ticket system.

loving great. At least it's a couple of common items and not like, a GPU or something hard to get, I guess.

How do I tell if it's specifically being fulfilled by Amazon? Looks like each item on the order is listed as "sold by [some shop]", and not specifically like, "sold by Amazon" or anything.

I should've just paid the $5 extra and bought it through Newegg instead of dealing with Amazon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it doesn't say sold by amazon then it's sold by someone else. Newegg does the same thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’ll say on the product page “Sold by xxx, Fulfilled by xxx”. The fulfilled by bit is the important bit as that’s who’s actually sending the thing out.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, these are the two products:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EF9OI0O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BGBVY99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

here's what it shows on my orders page, with case fan order for comparison:

looking at things, it seems the mobo is listed as being sold and shipped via Amazon, while the cables are only shipped via Amazon.

I was really looking forward to having a new computer by the end of the week. Figures Amazon'd gently caress that up for me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Amazon will frequently not give any shipping info until the day it's supposed to arrive and then it will immediately show as out for delivery :shrug: Those are both prime and prime delivery estimates are usually spot on so I wouldn't worry too much

I ordered that same cable splitter and it shipped at 10pm the night before and arrived 7pm the next day

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I have the opposite problem where they immediately tell me it has shipped and the only update is shipping label created, awaiting item. And it stays like that for like a full day on 2 day delivery.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Amazon will frequently not give any shipping info until the day it's supposed to arrive and then it will immediately show as out for delivery :shrug: Those are both prime and prime delivery estimates are usually spot on so I wouldn't worry too much

I ordered that same cable splitter and it shipped at 10pm the night before and arrived 7pm the next day

This.

Stuff shipped by Amazon, especially if you live near a hub where they have their own delivery people, is already near your house.

Estimated delivery day is just when they have time to shove it in a truck. They don’t ship it usually, it usually just leaves the warehouse that morning or the day before. You’ll. Likely get it Wednesday.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Why are 3900xt's still listed on Amazon and Newegg for $600+? I'd there a reason/demand for this, or are these crazy scalpers still holding on to the time of the height of the pandemic price wars?

Edit, just to jump to my actual goal: I have a new in box 3900xt coming out of our moving company storage that I bought before zen 3 was released and we got stuck due to COVID. I'm thinking about trying to trade it for a 5600 since all I do I game and it looks like the zen 3 does the same or better at less power. Not trying to make money off of this, but also don't want to get ripped off so trying to see what real world prices are like.

Alternatively wondering if this is a waste of time and not really worth looking into.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 1, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm going to rebuild my current PC in a white ITX case soon and was looking to swap some things out for their white counterparts. Anyone have experience with this Arctic cooler? Is it any good?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MRJ1W7?psc=1

Current tower cooler is the be quiet! Pure Rock 2, would be for a 65-watt Ryzen 5 3600

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

change my name posted:

I'm going to rebuild my current PC in a white ITX case soon and was looking to swap some things out for their white counterparts. Anyone have experience with this Arctic cooler? Is it any good?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MRJ1W7?psc=1

Current tower cooler is the be quiet! Pure Rock 2, would be for a 65-watt Ryzen 5 3600

seems to perform better than they 212 I have, and have used in my last two builds

which I'm guessing is because the coolermaster 212 uses an aluminum contact plate, the arctic has copper.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 1, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LifeSunDeath posted:

seems to perform better than they 212 I have, and have used in my last two builds

which I'm guessing is because the coolermaster 212 uses an aluminum contact plate, the arctic has copper.

Well that's good enough for me, I know the 212 is one of the go-to recommendation around here

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Here ya go mate.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/alienware-aurora-ryzen-edition-r10-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop

So as an aside I'm trying to figure out options for moving forward with a better streaming setup in this hilarious market we find ourselves in. Does anyone have any opinions on offloading the actual encoding/uploading work to a second PC? Basically going for a 2pc streaming setup but interested in if a "cheap" streaming pc could actually improve the framerates etc on the stream itself.

Nvidia has this helpful table for which cards support which encoding so it might be possible to go with a mobile gpu or even one of the intel 11 series chips' onboard gpu for a similar setup.
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Here ya go mate.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
What is the cheapest way to get a Win10 license? I've seen Pro OEM keys as low as $7 out there on websites that seem a bit shady.

If these cheap sellers offer paypal, then I feel it's a low-risk gamble to try a key from them; if it doesn't work I'm only out $7 and can fall back to getting a retail key somewhere else.

If I could get a transferable retail key for less than $50 I'd prefer that.

Anyway, I ordered
5600x and an aftermarket fan
Asus Rog Strix B550-F wifi
2x16gb of Crucial 3600 cas16 with no RGB
Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD
Be Quiet Silent Base 802 case

I'm planning on rolling my 980Ti over until the GPU market settles down and reusing my old PSU.

The PSU was way overbuilt when I got it, it's a 1000w Seasonic SS-1000XP. I did look into if the new mobo uses a different power connecter than my old mobo, and they look the same, except the new B550 mobo uses an extra 4pin connection that I'm pretty sure my PSU has.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Copper Vein posted:

What is the cheapest way to get a Win10 license? I've seen Pro OEM keys as low as $7 out there on websites that seem a bit shady.

If these cheap sellers offer paypal, then I feel it's a low-risk gamble to try a key from them; if it doesn't work I'm only out $7 and can fall back to getting a retail key somewhere else.

If I could get a transferable retail key for less than $50 I'd prefer that.

Anyway, I ordered
5600x and an aftermarket fan
Asus Rog Strix B550-F wifi
2x16gb of Crucial 3600 cas16 with no RGB
Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD
Be Quiet Silent Base 802 case

I'm planning on rolling my 980Ti over until the GPU market settles down and reusing my old PSU.

The PSU was way overbuilt when I got it, it's a 1000w Seasonic SS-1000XP. I did look into if the new mobo uses a different power connecter than my old mobo, and they look the same, except the new B550 mobo uses an extra 4pin connection that I'm pretty sure my PSU has.

I bought an OEM key from Kinguin for like $15 but I believe there's a $10 license thread in SAmart

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

By going to the Windows 10 key thread in SA Mart and getting one for $15.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they're greymarket in that they're OEM keys that the manufacturer decided they didn't need anymore for whatever reason (they buy them from microsoft in great big lots) and are selling on. they are legit enough - as OEM keys they are non-transferable, so you'll need to buy a new key when you replace enough hardware, (typically the mobo i wanna say?) unlike a retail key which you can bring to your next build.

microsoft has finally realized that letting a bunch of people operate with an illicit version of their OS is a colossal security risk, so windows will work almost perfectly (other than the watermark and some specific narrow scenarios) with no key at all. i've used a cheapo ebay key for more than a year now, no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Looks like someone finally remembered to enter the info into the database, or whatever it was waiting on.

I'm just glad I'll be getting the parts, and I won't have to go through the return process or wait another week. Now I get to be anxious as all hell for the next 24-ish hours till everything gets here.