Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if instead of aliens, it's incredibly advanced robot servitors of an awakening global self-aware Superintelligence that has spent years constructing hidden caches across the globe, using nano-robots, and is just now preparing to rise and exterminate humanity? Unleash the Hypnodrones! :awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DrSunshine posted:

What if instead of aliens, it's incredible advanced robot servitors of an awakening global Superintelligence that is just now preparing to rise and exterminate humanity? Unleash the Hypnodrones! :cylon:

"Gaia's awake. And she's angry....

Premiering summer 2022, Tilda Swinton is RAGE MOTHER!"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I posted a rebuttal from a professional FLIR technician. Describing that as "clutching at straws" and an "attack" reflects that you're arguing from emotion, that the impossibility of alien life is a deeply held belief that cannot be challenged.

Just to make sure that I am following along at home correctly, this is what you are referring to as the evidence that invalidates the math presented?

I've already posted this but his Flir analysis is wrong. A plane would have shown up as such on everyone's integrated radar.

Gimbal is also not a plane.

https://twitter.com/uncertainvector/status/1396844938869026817

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

What if instead of aliens, it's incredibly advanced robot servitors of an awakening global self-aware Superintelligence that has spent years constructing hidden caches across the globe, using nano-robots, and is just now preparing to rise and exterminate humanity? Unleash the Hypnodrones! :awesomelon:

Skynet awakens, sees the amount of F2P garbage out there in humanity's grubby hands, and decides "yeah, this poo poo has got to go" :rip: I guess aliens with FTL and flintlock level guns would be the preferable scenario then :toughguy:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mediaphage posted:

"Gaia's awake. And she's angry....

Premiering summer 2022, Tilda Swinton is RAGE MOTHER!"

...this is kinda badass. Has anyone ever done Mother Earth Kills Humanity With Technology angle? Because I need to watch that post haste

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Libluini posted:

And I'm saying power plants are a thing, why is this concept hard to grasp? "They need lots of energy" is a total non-argument.

Your second argument is just wrong. After all, most people are convinced UFOs don't exist so their stealth apparently works very well

Okay, I'm going to stop lurking, because this is just...

Power plants are absolutely a thing. They are in everything. Including... your car ( assuming you have one ). It runs on a chemical power plant, specifically powered by refined hydrocarbons. So here's an experiment for you to do. Take your car for a one hour, leisurely drive. Stop. Pop the hood. Put your bare hand right on the engine-block, aka the power plant of your particular vehicle.

Note what happens to your hand.

So, what's happened here? Well, the energy released by burning off the refined hydrocarbons in your car's power plant has resulted in motive power ( which has propelled you to your destination ) and into heat ( which has just given you a nice first- or second-degree burn ). If you were to point an infrared camera at your car, you would see the engine as much, much brighter than the rest of it, because of this. This is basic, absolutely fundamental physics; Energy has changed from one state to another, but because the process is not - and can't be - 100 % efficient, you are left with spillage in the form of heat.

Of course, you can do something about this. You absolutely can stop a car from having a heat-signature.

Using your car as an example again, insulate it so that no sign of heat ( which, by the way, includes exhaust ) is visible to the infrared camera. Now, on top of this, you can add aerodynamic sculpting to reduce drag and radar-signature, stealth paint and whatnot to further reduce radar-detection, as much of all of that good stuff as you like. But if you try to actually get into the car and make the car move by any means, you will either choke to death on the exhaust ( Because you can't release it without showing a heat-signature ), or cook ( because no heat can escape the confines of the vehicle, and that poo poo builds quickly ). This is a known problem. Every single vehicle on the planet has part of it's design dedicated to "How do we cool our power plant so we do not cook the operator of the vehicle, or make the vehicle break down or spontaneously combust".

Thus, "Power plants exists, therefore aliens" is ... not even wrong. It's a complete non-sequitur.

As for EM-shielding... Sure, but all those EM-emissions have to go somewhere. If you power source is radiating exotic particles of some kind, the only way to stop that is to ensure that they have nowhere to go. Which means that just like with heat, you're going to have to contain a steadily increasing dose and strength of whatever it is that you power plant is giving off, and you have to contain it inside the vehicle. And that isn't even beginning to take into account other emissions that your gear might be giving off.

So what fuel-source could these proposed aliens be using for their proposed craft or VN probes? Good old-fashioned fission? Well, there's all that radiation that'll make the interior of the craft toxic. But even if that wasn't a problem, you still have the problem of heat and cooling. Plus, nuclear power generates some very nasty waste, because, again, the process by which energy is converted isn't 100 % efficient. Fusion would work a lot better, but still needs plenty of shielding and, again, isn't 100 % effective, since you still get waste-products. Matter/anti-matter reactions produce gamma-rays and photons... and yet more heat, that need to be dealt with.

All of which will need to be accounted for and dealt with, somehow, by the builders of the craft.

Now, I am 100 % convinced that alien civilizations exist. I am also convinced that some of them might be far ahead of us technologically. And I would love for there to be evidence that we were reachable by them. That some form of FTL exists. It would make me ecstatic, to be honest. But a lot of you, and this example is particularly egregious, are just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. This isn't about a loophole in general relativity that seems to allow FTL travel or whatever, this is about whether some of the most basic, foundational principles of how the world works apply equally and at all times. Or, in short;

Either aliens have to follow the basic laws of physics or they don't.

If they do, then they will need to account for things like the buildup of heat, emissions from reactors, conservation of momentum, friction with air, sonic booms and the like. All things that are very conveniently being ignored when pointed out. And that is why "They need lots of energy" is an absolutely valid, sound, and reasonable thing to use as an argument when considering possible explanations for these phenomena.

Now, if aliens don't have to follow the laws of physics, we are in a discussion about miracles and divinities. And if that's what you believe, then I honestly wish you luck with that. I genuinely hope it makes you happy. However, I'm not going to believe in invisible, miraculous beings in the heavens, whatever their origin.

And at this point, as far as I can tell from my lurking? Of the sides that have been 'debating' UFOs/UAPs in this thread, one side has consistently provided level-headed, parsimonious, and reasonable explanations.

And the other side has basically been this guy, while desperately trying to pretend they're not this guy:

And it's really loving aggravating, because UFO/UAP's are cool! They are amazing, and we should study them and find out what they are, because we can learn something whatever the answer turns out to be. But approaching it with the attitude that "It's aliens, it's loving aliens, aliens is what it is, and y'all need to loving shut up about it not being aliens, because it's loving aliens, aliens, aliens", which is exactly how more than a couple of you come across in here, has succeeded in what I think is precisely the opposite of what y'all wanted.

It's alienated me quite thoroughly from your position.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thank you for the above effort post. Thats just the content that I love to see wupwup.
I will say I disagree with your last point here;

TLM3101 posted:

And at this point, as far as I can tell from my lurking? Of the sides that have been 'debating' UFOs/UAPs in this thread, one side has consistently provided level-headed, parsimonious, and reasonable explanations.

And the other side has basically been this guy, while desperately trying to pretend they're not this guy:

And it's really loving aggravating, because UFO/UAP's are cool! They are amazing, and we should study them and find out what they are, because we can learn something whatever the answer turns out to be. But approaching it with the attitude that "It's aliens, it's loving aliens, aliens is what it is, and y'all need to loving shut up about it not being aliens, because it's loving aliens, aliens, aliens", which is exactly how more than a couple of you come across in here, has succeeded in what I think is precisely the opposite of what y'all wanted.

It's alienated me quite thoroughly from your position.
Because the 'level-headed' side involves, as far as I can tell, loving aggravating posts such as these;

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even if you think it’s aliens you should want the more simpler explanation of camera artifact/reflection/weather balloon/person lying to be true because that’s how science loving works. If you believe A is true, then you look for explanations that show A is false. Otherwise you might as well be like those flat earthers in that Netflix documentary. And all people here are saying is that those videos can easily be explained so we need better evidence before asserting that it’s aliens.
Where it steps from reasonable science-minded skepticism to patronizing posters as to what they should want to be the explanation. It's one thing to say we should tend towards the simplier explanation, akin to water finding deeper ground, but its another thing entirely to chastise people for wanting and wishing for aliens/ufos to be spooky things. And this is just an example of this shutting down of alien talk. I'm not going to go through the thread and pick out others because that feels too far and weird but there is clearly a number of posters on both sides stepping on each other's shoes. I, personally, find it rather insulting, patronizing and gross when any talk of dreaming/imagining it to be aliens or questions about the feasiblity of contact or presence or how they would even get here, you know, hypotheticals, is shut down and laughed at.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 30, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

In all seriousness, spheres with no control surfaces and no exhaust that can also go underwater doesn't actually scream drone. Nervous chuckle maybe.

if i've crashed one of these into a pool before do i get to be in the alien probe club too?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

I, personally, find it rather insulting, patronizing and gross when any talk of dreaming/imagining it to be aliens or questions about the feasiblity of contact or presence or how they would even get here, you know, hypotheticals, is shut down and laughed at.

This is Debate and Discussion. If someone wants to talk about dreaming/imagining a fiction of alien visitation, the maybe this isn't the place. A hypothesis on alien visitation is fine, but it's likely to be shut down pretty quickly because there's already been the debate over most of those hypotheses.

Any pro-alien argument basically boils down to: "Here's what we don't know, and why it might be aliens," while just handwaving away things like "no I don't think it was a military/foreign spy drone".

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is Debate and Discussion. If someone wants to talk about dreaming/imagining a fiction of alien visitation, the maybe this isn't the place. A hypothesis on alien visitation is fine, but it's likely to be shut down pretty quickly because there's already been the debate over most of those hypotheses.

Any pro-alien argument basically boils down to: "Here's what we don't know, and why it might be aliens," while just handwaving away things like "no I don't think it was a military/foreign spy drone".
OK, so maybe I worded it wrong. I mean, more like, the sentiment that it would be cool if there were aliens communicating or visiting. It feels like you can't even admit to wanting that to be the case, see the above post I've quoted plus many more of a similar edge. I think my one and only point I was trying to make was that there is this persistent thread that it's only the pro-alien peeps who are being irrational or unhelpful. When, in fact, there folks being 'skeptical' and 'rational' but really they are just being the space thread equivalent of internet atheist dicks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can remember being 7 years old and desperately wanting every UFO to be aliens too, and I do empathize, however the solution is to grow up

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

The guy actually comes from video game programming, which I never realised. The key maths is how you convert from a 3d model to a 2d projection on the screen. You go one way for videos games, and he's reversing that to work out what is actually there based on a video screen. Clever stuff.

You should probably go watch videos of THPS skating physics before you lean too hard on that guy for your realistic analysis.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

OK, so maybe I worded it wrong. I mean, more like, the sentiment that it would be cool if there were aliens communicating or visiting. It feels like you can't even admit to wanting that to be the case, see the above post I've quoted plus many more of a similar edge. I think my one and only point I was trying to make was that there is this persistent thread that it's only the pro-alien peeps who are being irrational or unhelpful. When, in fact, there folks being 'skeptical' and 'rational' but really they are just being the space thread equivalent of internet atheist dicks.

See, that's the thing. To me, those you're tagging as the "I wish/wouldn't it be neat if it were aliens" crowd come across to me as, like I said,

TLM3101 posted:

"It's aliens, it's loving aliens, aliens is what it is, and y'all need to loving shut up about it not being aliens, because it's loving aliens, aliens, aliens"

with a bit of added, insinuated "We're being silenced!" thrown in. That is honestly how I read more than a few of the 'pro-aliens-as-explanation' posts. I wouldn't even have said anything if not for the whole "Power plants exist, therefore aliens" thing, because it was just so incredibly egregious. And a perfect example of what's been grating at me.

Yes, it would be cool if it were aliens.

But unless the fundamental rules of how energy works either do not work in any way close to how physics and empirical evidence tells us they do, or they can be suspended at will, the likelihood that it is aliens is as close to nil as makes no difference.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What evidence is there that it’s aliens? They’re just things flying in the sky. Why do people reach for that conclusion, other than that pop culture has prepared us to expect that possibility for the last hundred years?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

You should probably go watch videos of THPS skating physics before you lean too hard on that guy for your realistic analysis.

Tou-loving-ché

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TLM3101 posted:

See, that's the thing. To me, those you're tagging as the "I wish/wouldn't it be neat if it were aliens" crowd come across to me as, like I said,
with a bit of added, insinuated "We're being silenced!" thrown in. That is honestly how I read more than a few of the 'pro-aliens-as-explanation' posts. I wouldn't even have said anything if not for the whole "Power plants exist, therefore aliens" thing, because it was just so incredibly egregious. And a perfect example of what's been grating at me.

But unless the fundamental rules of how energy works either do not work in any way close to how physics and empirical evidence tells us they do, or they can be suspended at will, the likelihood that it is aliens is as close to nil as makes no difference.
Thank you, good post and I agree.

I think some of the friction in this thread comes from the distance in which posts like this;
are responded to like this;
I can remember being 7 years old and desperately wanting every UFO to be aliens too, and I do empathize, however the solution is to grow up

But I guess this is SA so we can expect some posts made in bad faith in every discussion, I guess.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

We cannot build the tic-tac and have no idea how it could possibly work. There's dozens of eyewitnesses, IR video and radar tracks all saying it's a real vehicle.

ok something i want to point out

both eyewitness observers and sensor systems are fallible--trivially so, in fact, with known weaknesses that have been academically studied for decades.

it is often stated as a counter-argument to any terrestrial origin for these encounters that the objects display impossible characteristics

but

that's all they really have to do, right?--display? for a controlled subset of military observers and known hardware?

the us military (or whatever other terrestrial entity you think most likely) doesn't actually have to have the ability to build 'the tic tac' or 'the speedball' or whatever else; it would be of immense military interest and value just merely to be able to send out a swarm of drones that can convincingly fool and defeat other people's flir pods and operators as needed, and i think if you consider the design problem here not to be 'build a craft with xyz characteristics' but 'build a craft that appears to have xyz characteristics to military sensors' the bar is significantly lower

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What evidence is there that it’s aliens? They’re just things flying in the sky. Why do people reach for that conclusion, other than that pop culture has prehttps://forums.somethingawful.com/pared us to expect that possibility for the last hundred years?

124 years, to be pedantically exact. War of the Worlds was published in 1897.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lampsacus posted:

You seem to be super bothered by what I said so why don’t you do your health a favor and block me and move on?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol at the idea that people are mocked out of the thread for wanting it to be aliens, that's fine. it's the sheer antagonism to people who don't agree.

i wish we could meet some little green dudes too, it would change everything. i'm just not convinced by any of these videos that there's anything but an earthly explanation for these videos. i'd love to be proven wrong, though. i will still look through the new report when it inevitably surfaces.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

You seem to be super bothered by what I said so why don’t you do your health a favor and block me and move on?

This, on the other hand, is super condescending concern trolling

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Anyone have any ideas about what this is?

It's one of the UFOs photographed by the Navy

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dameius posted:

Just to make sure that I am following along at home correctly, this is what you are referring to as the evidence that invalidates the math presented?

The FLIR technician rebuttal is in a later post.

Mick West doesn't give any math regarding Gimbal. He claims the apparent rotation of the object is due to the rotating gimbal mechanism that the FLIR camera is mounted on and that the object is a misidentified distant jet exhaust. Actual experts disagree with him on how the FLIR camera works, and there's no transponder on the object and none of the surrounding testimony fits with a plane, even just the audio in the actual video; "look there's a whole fleet of them".

Gimbal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TumprpOwHY

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

The FLIR technician rebuttal is in a later post.

Mick West doesn't give any math regarding Gimbal. He claims the apparent rotation of the object is due to the rotating gimbal mechanism that the FLIR camera is mounted on and that the object is a misidentified distant jet exhaust. Actual experts disagree with him on how the FLIR camera works, and there's no transponder on the object and none of the surrounding testimony fits with a plane, even just the audio in the actual video; "look there's a whole fleet of them".

Gimbal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TumprpOwHY

Mick west already debunked all of this and the technician video you posted a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Btns91W5J8

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Vorik posted:

Mick west already debunked all of this and the technician video you posted a while back.

He's edited out the audio in this video specifically so no-one hears "look there's a whole fleet of them" haha. This is fairly convincing in terms of explaining the rotation but he doesn't touch on the transponder, the audio or Graves' testimony of the objects being tracked all day in some cases, frequently, over a period of years.

So when you say "all of this" you actually meant one specific element of the video and literally nothing else?

A good Gimbal video actually happened to come out today going into the surrounding context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcwjTImVBl8

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 31, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vorik posted:

Anyone have any ideas about what this is?

It's one of the UFOs photographed by the Navy

the middle photo is the object hitting super sonic and leaving a trail behind it. Potentially this is a ramjet plane clicking into super sonic very quickly

--- Also let's talk space.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/enigmatic-skull-may-be-oldest-modern-human-out-of-africa

Enjoy this article.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 31, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Vorik posted:

I mean... it's pretty bloody convincing isn't it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I think these are all just Boltzmann brains being spawned in our atmosphere.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think these are all just Boltzmann brains being spawned in our atmosphere.

:argh: It was a thought experiment! It's like people trying to prove the existence of a literal Maxwell's Demon! :argh:

That said, this is definitely the thread for it, much like UFOs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This article on UFOs basically says what I've been thinking but have not been anywhere near motivated enough to argue cogently.

One thing I don't understand - surely the US has plenty of powerful enough spy satellites to monitor their own carrier groups basically 24/7? The National Reconnaissance Office literally gave away two spare telescopes to NASA, one of which is being turned into the Roman Space Telescope. Unless these putative UFOs are tiny and/or invisible in the optical/near-infrared you'd think they'd be caught on spy satellite cameras.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Or cell phones.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zesty posted:

Or cell phones.

No joke, but alien, cryptid and angel sightings have cratered since virtually every human got a video camera in their pocket. At the same time incidents of police racism have skyrocketed.

The implication is, of course, that an unholy alliance has been forged. :tinfoil:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

All Cryptids Are Bastards

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think Bigfoot went extinct due to climate change. That one had nothing to do with cell phones

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Some cool space science news:
http://www.sci-news.com/space/europa-volcanoes-09697.html

quote:

Jupiter’s moon Europa harbors underneath a tectonically modified ice shell a salty ocean in direct contact with its rocky interior. Such an oceanic environment makes the icy moon a primary target for the search of a habitable world outside the Earth. The occurrence of magmatic activity on the seafloor is essential to determine if it constitutes an environment hospitable to life. A new study, published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, shows how the icy moon may have enough internal heat to partially melt the rocky layer, a process that could feed volcanoes on the ocean floor. The 3D modeling of how this internal heat is produced and transferred is the most detailed and thorough examination yet of the effect this interior heating has on the moon.

Volcanic activity on Jupiter’s moon Europa has been a topic of speculation for decades.

By comparison, Jupiter’s moon Io is obviously volcanic. Hundreds of volcanoes there erupt lava fountains and eject volcanic gas and dust up to 400 km (250 miles) high — activity that is due to the massive gravitational pull Jupiter has on its moons.

But Europa is farther away than Io is from its host planet, so planetary scientists have wondered whether the effect would be similar under the icy surface.

The new research models in detail how Europa’s rocky part may flex and heat under the pull of Jupiter’s gravity.

It shows where heat dissipates and how it melts that rocky mantle, increasing the likelihood of volcanoes on the seafloor.

“Our findings provide additional evidence that Europa’s subsurface ocean may be an environment suitable for the emergence of life,” said Dr. Marie Běhounková, a researcher at Charles University.

Using a three-dimensional numerical model, Dr. Běhounková and colleagues demonstrated that the volcanic activity can continue during most of Europa’s history even though it progressively decays as the interior cools down. Long-lived energy sources give more opportunity for potential life to have developed.

They also predicted that volcanic activity is most likely to occur near Europa’s poles — the latitudes where the most heat is generated.

Underwater volcanoes, if present, could power hydrothermal systems like those that fuel life at the bottom of Earth’s oceans.

On Earth, when seawater comes into contact with hot magma, the interaction results in chemical energy.

And it is chemical energy from these hydrothermal systems, rather than from sunlight, that helps support life deep in our own oceans.

Volcanic activity on Europa’s seafloor would be one way to support a potential habitable environment in that moon’s ocean.

“Europa is one of the rare planetary bodies that might have maintained volcanic activity over billions of years, and possibly the only one beyond Earth that has large water reservoirs and a long-lived source of energy,” Dr. Běhounková said.

_____

Marie Běhounková et al. Tidally Induced Magmatic Pulses on the Oceanic Floor of Jupiter’s Moon Europa. Geophysical Research Letters, published online December 22, 2020; doi: 10.1029/2020GL090077

Man if they could confirm this, it'd be a huge deal, because if you have volcanoes, you have an active source of heat energy as well as nutrients and chemicals. Densely energy-packed chemicals too, like Hydrogen Sulfide and Methane. When you have those, you create energy gradients, which means you can extract work from them, which means there's a possibility for life. I've read conflicting theories about whether life might need surfaces to stick to to act as a catalyst of some kind, which means it'd need basically land-ocean interfaces like shorelines, which would mean that life wouldn't form in a totally oceanic world like Europa. However if that's not the case, then it'd be really a great environment for non-Terran life to evolve!!

We've gotta get a probe there, yesterday. I think exploring Europa and Enceladus represent our greatest chances for finding alien life.

Also, Mars news: http://www.sci-news.com/space/curiosity-carbon-dioxide-ice-clouds-martian-skies-09708.html

Clouds of dry ice on Mars!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 31, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I had this whole cathartic essay written up to absolutely devastate everyone who disagreed with me on the whole UFO-"debate", but then I realized that was stupid, as I don't actually care that much about UFOs in the first place. So I deleted everything and read an article about wormholes instead.

It was really a relief to pull out all the stops! But it was also really insulting and I decided the weather today is far too nice to be mean to people. I made a note to table my arguments until an actual UFO lands in our garden and real aliens step out. Then I'll just hand them a list with all the people who really annoyed me throughout the UFO-discussion and tell them they're secretly planning to harvest alien organs and let nature run its course.

But anyway, wormholes!

This article claims the possibility of wormholes being real got an upgrade on the how-likely-is-this O' meter from "UFOs are aliens" to "UFOs are the Chinese".

To summarize a bit, the article first explains the major problems behind wormholes:

1. They are (probably) tiny and will, according to general relativity, react to normal matter passing through by immediately closing.

To make wormholes big and strong, and your friend, you need a hypothetical material which counter-acts this closing force, called "exotic matter". We don't actually know if exotic matter exists and we certainly have only very fuzzy ideas about how to get some.

2. To keep everything in the realm of the possible, instead of the realm of the loving nuts, the kinds of calculations scientists could have tried out all result in microscopic wormholes. Stable microscopic wormholes open interesting possibilities concerning FTL-communication, but it's kind of hard to push a person through.

And now, Quantum! has entered the ring:

SA posted:

A breakthrough occurred in late 2017, when physicists Ping Gao and Daniel Jafferis, both then at Harvard University, and Aron Wall, then at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J., discovered a way to prop open wormholes with quantum entanglement—a kind of long-distance connection between quantum entities. The peculiar nature of entanglement allows it to provide the exotic ingredient needed for wormhole stability. And because entanglement is a standard feature of quantum physics, it is relatively easy to create. “It’s really a beautiful theoretical idea,” says Nabil Iqbal, a physicist at Durham University in England, who was not involved in the research. Though the method helps to stabilize wormholes, it can still deliver only microscopic ones. But this new approach has inspired a stream of work that uses the entanglement trick with different sorts of matter in the hopes of bigger, longer-lasting holes.

So now we have the possibility to use Quantum! entanglement to use something that actually exists instead of magic exotic matter. But still, only microscopic wormholes are possible! It doesn't end here though, that would be lame: Two other researchers have been inspired by this work in 2017 and wrote their own work based on it.

Nabil Iqbal and Simon Ross from Durham University studied this phenomenon to see if at least theoretically, they could use this new "Gao-Jafferis-Wall" method to create bigger holes and still keep them stable.

I don't want to discourage you from reading their work, but I'll spoil their results here: They failed. Regardless of how unlikely they made the situations in which stable wormholes could form, as long as they staid in the realm of known physics, the theoretical wormholes resulting from this method were all microscopic. But at least this means two teams, working separately, at least confirmed that this process would work, in theory.

At the end the article mentions that research into wormholes is still ongoing, and there's lots of it. So expect more updates in the future! (Personally, I'm kind of hoping that eventually they'll manage to create one of those microscopic wormholes in a lab, but a big one for like space travel seems to be a far dream so far.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 31, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If information can pass through without issue that allows for interstellar civilization of a kind to exist.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

You should have posted it. Always fun to read insane screeds about UFOs.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

FTL communication via wormhole would be the top discovery of the century, and like Raenir says it opens up the ability to have a real interstellar empire instead of a very loose confederation of systems that would see significant scientific and cultural drifting. It opens up the potential to send a sublight probe to nearby stars and communicate with it/control it in real time. It also delivers a solution to the fermi paradox because everyone is communicating with wormhole tech instead of blasting their poo poo out into space.

I guess it could also revolutionize modern communication technology if you want a more boring application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

FTL communication via wormhole would be the top discovery of the century, and like Raenir says it opens up the ability to have a real interstellar empire instead of a very loose confederation of systems that would see significant scientific and cultural drifting. It opens up the potential to send a sublight probe to nearby stars and communicate with it/control it in real time. It also delivers a solution to the fermi paradox because everyone is communicating with wormhole tech instead of blasting their poo poo out into space.

I guess it could also revolutionize modern communication technology if you want a more boring application.

Doesn't the fact that we actually don't presently see / have been conquered by an FTL space empire mean that wormhole communication is a non-starter, probably for reasons we haven't thought of yet?

Actually that would be an interesting Fermi Paradox explanation - assuming colonization follows the "slow burn" type of model where each civilization only colonizes a few nearby systems at a time, and they gradually wink out behind them. Because wormhole communication doesn't exist, then they are never able to reach the level of cohesion that would make a space empire stay together and be able to exponentially expand and settle the galaxy.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 1, 2021