Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

showboating with the tayga/highway gearbox right before getting wrecked by a weber, that's how new games go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Ciaphas posted:

never, you're taking my highrange gearbox from my cold, dead, crash-mutilated hands

:hmmyes:

Another thing I didn't realise is that there is a free dlc with two new trucks, possibly only free with premium/season pass I'm not sure. International HX 520 and CAT CT 681. Both very similar to the cat 680, however the 681 has a nice tag axle and they can both take crane + flatbed + trailer with s+ engines. Pretty nice trucks, though no raised suspension for either.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

bobbilljim posted:

:hmmyes:

Another thing I didn't realise is that there is a free dlc with two new trucks, possibly only free with premium/season pass I'm not sure. International HX 520 and CAT CT 681. Both very similar to the cat 680, however the 681 has a nice tag axle and they can both take crane + flatbed + trailer with s+ engines. Pretty nice trucks, though no raised suspension for either.

I think those come with the s2 pass, they must have added them to make michigan and alaska less of a grind for new players.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It appears that there's been quite a few updates, new maps and vehicles and missions, since I stopped playing this game about 8 months ago. Gonna have to fire er up again, looks like

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I don't think I've ever played something that goes from extremely chill to the most infuriating experience possible so quickly and it's always all my fault. I can't believe I just flipped a sideboard trailer carrying over a dozen loose logs for a second time within spitting distance of where it tipped the first, gently caress me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i feel like i could use this game as therapy for cultivating patience, if I had a mind and a will to not go fast :v:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Giving the new maps a go. Even the first map is a kick in the balls consistently. Trying to get metal beams so that I can fix the bridges has lead to 3 seperate loads of lost metal rolls. Might go check out aiegis to see if it has metal beams that I can highjack more easily

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Giving the new maps a go. Even the first map is a kick in the balls consistently. Trying to get metal beams so that I can fix the bridges has lead to 3 seperate loads of lost metal rolls. Might go check out aiegis to see if it has metal beams that I can highjack more easily

there's a task you can do to help a warehouse and it unlocks 10 beams, not enough for the whole map but more than you need for the bridges. of course both bridges to the island with the warehouse are out, good luck

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

padijun posted:

there's a task you can do to help a warehouse and it unlocks 10 beams, not enough for the whole map but more than you need for the bridges. of course both bridges to the island with the warehouse are out, good luck

thanks for the heads up I'll give it a go and see what happens

Estel
May 4, 2010
I bought the game and I'm really enjoying it.
Which of the first scouts is better or easier to improve?. I have the starter scout, found the Scout800 and one of the dlc's gave me the Khan39 but at this point it seems really OP compared to the other 2 so I'm trying not to use it until I have more upgrades and vehicles.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Estel posted:

I bought the game and I'm really enjoying it.
Which of the first scouts is better or easier to improve?. I have the starter scout, found the Scout800 and one of the dlc's gave me the Khan39 but at this point it seems really OP compared to the other 2 so I'm trying not to use it until I have more upgrades and vehicles.

the khan is meant to feel OP in michigan, use it if you like it because it gets overshadowed down the line by stuff like the YAR, loadstar, and F750. the scout 800 is still useful in the end game because it's so light you can just put it in the back of a truck and pack it, 300 repair points and 120 liters of fuel really help on long trips. the silverado you start with has a bunch of upgrades in the first two michigan maps that will hold you over until you rank up and can buy the YAR or loadstar.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I like the scout 800 but don't like how easy it is to tip once you get the raised suspension added on. still tend to use it a fair bit when I'm scouting though. Either that or that tiny russian truck that you can chuck a fuel carrier on the back of cause it makes it rather useful for multi map scouting.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The One True Scout is the Loadstar, once you get the raised suspension and decent tires there's nowhere it can't go.

I just can't get on with the Khan. Take it on uneven terrain and it falls over. Take it on a road and it spins. It's good in marshland and deep (but not too deep!) mud, but anywhere else it will end up on it's roof facing the wrong way.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Ford truck with the upgrade from Russia is really good

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I love it for the absurd amount of roll bars you can cocoon it in.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Elendil004 posted:

Agreed, the F-750 is oddly good

Late in the game, the Yar is oddly bad in my opinion… like I wanted to like it but it just sucked

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
There's a mission in Urska River called "Barefoot Cobbler" where you need to return a tipped over trailer + 5 lost vehicle spare parts to the steel mill. This activates a repair shop at the steel mill. Repair shops instantly repair any vehicle damage, which is nice, but they also refill any fuel in mixed repair/refuel attachments, like roof racks. So use can use it as a sort of ad-hoc gas station.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The One True Scout is the Loadstar, once you get the raised suspension and decent tires there's nowhere it can't go.

it's true, this thing is astonishingly bullshit in a good way

Like the White Western Star 4964 it doesn't have mud tires and that annoys the hell out of me, though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my god getting this construction trailer from the port to the drilling site in michigan is a fucker (he says, fully aware that he's seen nothing yet)

Especially the last part past the farm in smithville, idk how not to either get bogged down in the mud, fall off a cliff, or get stuck in/on rocks :tizzy:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

One of those trailers was a real pain in the rear end, might have been that one I had a couple of extra trucks with the big crane to help bully it along.

I noticed that the winching mechanics have changed somewhat, I don't know why they changed it so now you can choose to have the winched truck turn the engine on or not but also it doesn't work anyway? I had the twinsteer on it's side (as usual) and trying to right it, when I pulled on the cable the stupid thing would spin it's wheels and try to drive which made it harder to pull in the right direction because the whole thing started wandering off. If you try to tell it to start the engine though, it says it is stalled. There's no way to stop a downed truck from ghost driving with the engine off it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work right when towing either

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Elendil004 posted:

yeah it's the 750 and nothing else is even close

bobbilljim posted:

I noticed that the winching mechanics have changed somewhat, I don't know why they changed it so now you can choose to have the winched truck turn the engine on or not but also it doesn't work anyway? I had the twinsteer on it's side (as usual) and trying to right it, when I pulled on the cable the stupid thing would spin it's wheels and try to drive which made it harder to pull in the right direction because the whole thing started wandering off. If you try to tell it to start the engine though, it says it is stalled. There's no way to stop a downed truck from ghost driving with the engine off it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work right when towing either

what might be happening is when you start pulling, the truck reaches the point where the engine is level enough and it turns on automatically. but in that scenario, the truck will ONLY go forward until you reattach the winch. so if the truck is flipped with the nose pointing at 12 o'clock, wheels pointing at 3, you want the nose of the recovery truck aimed at like 2 o'clock. use around half your winch range, attach it to the higher point in the center of the flipped truck, back up like 3 feet then floor it and start reeling in the winch when it goes taut

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

One of those trailers was a real pain in the rear end, might have been that one I had a couple of extra trucks with the big crane to help bully it along.

my current attempt is with the BOAR 45whatever as driver. Feels like a fast, less tippy P12, but oh lord I wish I had diff-lock on it already. Still, just made it out of Drummond and back to Smithville so so far so good

The Loadstar 1700 with crane is performing sterling service as a nudge/rescue vehicle, that's for sure

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Davethulhu posted:

There's a mission in Urska River called "Barefoot Cobbler" where you need to return a tipped over trailer + 5 lost vehicle spare parts to the steel mill. This activates a repair shop at the steel mill. Repair shops instantly repair any vehicle damage, which is nice, but they also refill any fuel in mixed repair/refuel attachments, like roof racks. So use can use it as a sort of ad-hoc gas station.

Can you then use the roof rack to fill up the vehicle's tank then refill the roof rack so in essence it does the exact some thing as the gas station?

Good to know

Also my favorite scout is the TUZ 166 (not OP or anything, just looks and feels cool and I like it) as well as the TUZ 420 (the tanklike thing with 8 wheels that can basically go anywhere although does run out of fuel pretty easily). The YAR totally blows imho

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Scouts are a bit situational, the YAR is pretty good on snow and quite fast once it gets going. The gears make it a bit lovely really, and probably best to run it with no roof rack. The TUZ 420 has it beat for really crappy trails but the YAR is a lot faster

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the BOAR could not hack the mud between the main road and the drilling site in smithville. thank goodness for the Tayga. suck arse in hell, you stupid construction rig t:mad:

can't wait to find trucks that make the Tayga seem chumpy

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
in terms of mud bogging and hauling there aren't any better offroad trucks, but there are a couple I use more

voron AE - the ground clearance on this thing is extremely good due to the tiny gas tank. this is huge in kola and amur where the tayga's dual olympic swimming pools get caught on everything. 80 liters less fuel than the tayga, but you can just self-load a scout 800 onto the bed if you're worried about running out of gas.
bandit - super light but you can overload the hell out of it and it barely slows down.
tuz actaeon - makes a good scout with the active suspension and 43" tires, it's also super convenient to tow behind whatever you're using to haul

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

All the vorons are pretty decent. The new zikz is good too thanks to OP tyres mainly. One of the best trucks for me is the twinsteer though. It has very big wheels and all wheel drive on 4 axles but can also go very fast. With 4 cargo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I love the Twinsteer but getting the awd looks like a pain

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I love the Twinsteer but getting the awd looks like a pain

From memory it wasn't all that bad but it may have been the one where I took the russian truck that can have a scout winch then tipped it at the goal on the first attempt but got it on the second. The twinsteer is good but I feel the new russia map is not quite the correct place for it. The last dlc map though it was good espcially with all of the multiple steel beam deliveries to the paper mill

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
it's probably the hardest to reach upgrade in the game, up on the hill overlooking the village in SE imandra. a scout with the advanced winch can handle it fine, just be patient and careful on the way up, using the trees uphill to keep yourself on the "road"

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Speaking of construction trailers

Not looking forward to hauling this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i put chains on my Voron AE and I swear to god they make no difference in alaska, the skidding and tipping is driving me barmy. Probably my fault for insisting on the highrange with that little speed demon, but still :v:

are there any more stable non-scouts that can haul rear end like that?

on the other end of the spectrum, goodness I think the DAN 96320 may actually be invulnerable

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Azov 5319 is pretty fast too, fuel usage is extreme though. Chains are absolutely vital on some roads, even though some trucks can still drift on them lol

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
looked at maprunner to get the amur upgrades since I wanted to actually use them before finishing 75% of the region

voron grad engine?
tuz 166 engine??
azov 7 active suspension?!?!?!

they took 3 solid vehicles from launch and made them S tier. I love it

Ciaphas posted:

i put chains on my Voron AE and I swear to god they make no difference in alaska, the skidding and tipping is driving me barmy. Probably my fault for insisting on the highrange with that little speed demon, but still :v:

are there any more stable non-scouts that can haul rear end like that?

are you using the high gear or automatic? high gear with chains will keep it on the road just fine, it's slower than the higher automatic gears but the torque and control make up for it. it's also more fuel efficient than automatic most of the time, which matters when you have a 250L gas tank

if you want more stability, try the azov 5 or the voron grad with 50" tires and stock suspension

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah, the voron AE was just fine once I eased up on auto a bit, with the highrange box. What can I say, gotta go fast :v:

I'm pretty much as done with Michigan & Alaska as I care to. Tamyr is kinda making me groan already, though - debating starting one or other of the DLC zones instead

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
wisconsin is difficult michigan, kola is difficult alaska, yukon is swamp/snow/offroad terrain that's tougher than both of those, and amur is nightmare mode. fwiw kovd is probably my favorite map and a pretty good introduction to the dlc snow regions

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I liked wisconsin except for the length of some of the paper plant missions. Yukon I was not a big fan of and Amur is indeed nightmare mode but Cosmodrome seems to be a fair bit easier so far. It'd be nice if the ank had a larger fuel tank cause I've found it to be pretty good for hauling freight around. The Zik is excellent and also somewhat hilarious for how quickly it chews through terrain that the others seem to struggle with.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, the Northern Aegis Installation is some of the biggest bullshit I've ever seen in a game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, the Northern Aegis Installation is some of the biggest bullshit I've ever seen in a game.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Feels super empty, most of the tasks are simply 'fix a bridge/remove a landslide', and requires a shitton of metal beams which can only be made by busting your balls on Urska River.