Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's objectively good. The worse the roads are to drive, the less idiot hell sociopath paedophile liberals think that driving is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol that americans can't drive a car with a gear stick

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's objectively good. The worse the roads are to drive, the less idiot hell sociopath paedophile liberals think that driving is good.

What

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol that americans can't drive a car with a gear stick

I used to think this was bullshit, but I'm the the only person in my circle of friends that knows how to drive stick. Basically everyone in my extended family knew how, so I thought everyone did until I moved out of the small town I'm from.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I also don’t know how to hitch a cart to a horse. Time moves on, technology improves, and the gear shift is a distracting additional task for little to no gain in 95% of driving cases.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Narrower, curving lanes that force cars to drive more slowly make commuting (and living generally) safer for people that aren’t in giant metal boxes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Captain Monkey posted:

I also don’t know how to hitch a cart to a horse. Time moves on, technology improves, and the gear shift is a distracting additional task for little to no gain in 95% of driving cases.

I can ride a horse and drive stick and you're absolutely correct. People who complain about that are just looking for something to complain about.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cargohills posted:

Narrower, curving lanes that force cars to drive more slowly make commuting (and living generally) safer for people that aren’t in giant metal boxes.

That’s not the part that’s getting the what

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've witnessed Jerry Cotton for years and believe he is referring to Finnish forest evangelicals, and other undesirables, who are notorious for being corrupt, cultish, etc. If you want to talk about that more visit Finland https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879324&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Robobot posted:

I used to think this was bullshit, but I'm the the only person in my circle of friends that knows how to drive stick. Basically everyone in my extended family knew how, so I thought everyone did until I moved out of the small town I'm from.

i may be mistaken or just totally outdated but i thought all american cars were automatics because all the roads are long and boring and flat

doverhog
May 31, 2013

No it's because the people are fat and lazy. (this is a joke)

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i may be mistaken or just totally outdated but i thought all american cars were automatics because all the roads are long and boring and flat

Only partially mistaken, not enough to worry about.
Plenty can drive stick, many can not.
It's a mix of generational, regional, and of course the amount of interest in cars.
Someone who grew up in the city is more likely to only use an automatic, while someone more rural will have a higher chance of learning manual.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s not the part that’s getting the what

Serioyspost: what is?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My bff is german and constantly complains about how embarrassed she is that she can only drive automatic bc Germany is Car Guy Central and everyone very smugly drives stick, if they drive.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

nurmie posted:

over the last year i've grown to hate the word "healing" with a passion. it's almost always being used in some kind of vaguely gaslighting capacity, it feels like. kind of like "unity" has been

and also, i don't think one can truly "move on" from grief, not really - one can learn to live with it and to cope with it though. that's not a bad thing in and of itself - grief is a part of life, and just like any other part of life you can't really wish it away or make it go away via some kind of nebulous "healing"

This is where I am at with a lot of this sort of thing. Fundamentally the problem is not "moving on and healing" it is the expectation from corporate culture that one must move on in order to be a valid person.

That and, ultimately, I think that detachment as in the buddhist ideal is abused by people to suggest that one should merely forgive others or oneself.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My bff is german and constantly complains about how embarrassed she is that she can only drive automatic bc Germany is Car Guy Central and everyone very smugly drives stick, if they drive.

Yeah, almost all cars in Germany are stick shift even though there's no real reason for it. German roads are mostly wide and comfy because the British generously enabled a mid-century remodel of most large cities.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Heidelberg was still the classic european windy hellhole though on account of not being part of that renovation campaign. I hated driving the one time I got volunteered to drive people to a conference until we got out to the more normal roads. Had no problem renting an automatic though, it just cost more, which was fine because I wasn't paying for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Heidelberg was still the classic european windy hellhole though on account of not being part of that renovation campaign. I hated driving the one time I got volunteered to drive people to a conference until we got out to the more normal roads. Had no problem renting an automatic though, it just cost more, which was fine because I wasn't paying for it.

Ok Heidelberg rules and PHUO: BaWü is the only good german state. Runner up is Sachsen-Anhalt.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Heilbronn seemed pretty nice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

driving automatic transmission is as degenerate as using a navigation app, although i guess autopilot is even worse

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok Heidelberg rules and PHUO: BaWü is the only good german state. Runner up is Sachsen-Anhalt.

It was nice to live in for a while, I just preferred to be hauled around by the trams if I had to go near the altstadt parts. Would have been nice if they were more on time though. Punctuality and the overall level of pay are the main things the swiss have the germans beat by a lot in.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

driving automatic is like playing simcity with an xbox controller

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

what's the driving equivalent of playing sim city with a super nintendo controller because that's my main level of experience with it

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Switzerland is kinda of a gimmick state. They exploit the hell out of banking, they and Luxembourg and Malta should be chastised by the EU.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The pedophile bit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Switzerland is kinda of a gimmick state. They exploit the hell out of banking, they and Luxembourg and Malta should be chastised by the EU.

It's a really nice looking place with some of the nicest scenery I've ever scene outside of norway and they did pay me a lot more money than I deserved to work there so they're OK in my book.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shibawanko posted:

driving automatic transmission is as degenerate as using a navigation app, although i guess autopilot is even worse

I've had to go back to a manual car after a couple years of automatic. Now I can't hold a drink or burger in my off hand and it blows.

Best driving experience was from Kumamoto to Takachiyo in Japan. Went above 60kph perhaps twice in two days driving through rural Japan. Navigation and snack eating was well relaxed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's really weird how many people don't know how to ride a horse. Everyone should ride one at least once.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Literally the only meat car in nature and no one is taking advantage

What a waste

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Literally the only meat car in nature and no one is taking advantage

What a waste

A horse is really more like a motorcycle, elegant, sporty, likely to throw you off. The car of nature is the elephant: big, wasteful, with an option to install luxury seating.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Has a trunk.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really weird how many people don't know how to ride a horse. Everyone should ride one at least once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DnRn9hyFU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

absolute class

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Disagree. Far better to eat the stupid, dangerous bastards.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Scramble egg with a bit of browning and in solid chunks is a lot better than the wet mush people think is the "correct" way to scrabble a egg.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Scramble egg with a bit of browning and in solid chunks is a lot better than the wet mush people think is the "correct" way to scrabble a egg.

That’s how I always make ‘em; I hate sloppy eggs.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Is that because the texture is better for putting ketchup on them dry rear end eggs?