Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

My view on Fallout 4 have improved over the years, especially with the dlcs and survival mode. Building cool settlements and travelling the world to find new items to build is a lot of fun. Mechanically it's easy to do and usually it just works.

But holy poo poo the first two hours of the game is absolute dogshit. The unskippable 2077 segment, having to trod through the vault, Concord being an extremely railroaded setup for the EPIC E3 trailer moment and the complete lack of choices & consequences until you find the Drumlin Diner are all loving garbage decisions that new players are faced with right at the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Concorde was rough, yeah. But I liked the part In the vault where the Sole Survivor gets more and more freaked out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Psychedelicatessen posted:

My view on Fallout 4 have improved over the years, especially with the dlcs and survival mode. Building cool settlements and travelling the world to find new items to build is a lot of fun. Mechanically it's easy to do and usually it just works.

But holy poo poo the first two hours of the game is absolute dogshit. The unskippable 2077 segment, having to trod through the vault, Concord being an extremely railroaded setup for the EPIC E3 trailer moment and the complete lack of choices & consequences until you find the Drumlin Diner are all loving garbage decisions that new players are faced with right at the beginning

You can skip Concord and just run off howling into the wasteland the instant you wake up

I picked up Dogmeat and went straight to the Glowing Sea where Dogmeat then ran into an elevator shaft and a Glowing One ate me for lunch

Was fun

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I hope the next Fallout game takes 3's approach to introducing it's open world - Megaton was just off the beaten path enough that you were able to do some curious exploring around Springvale and maybe beyond before stumbling across it. I'm sure there were more than a few first time players that made it to D.C or even to Rivet City before finding out about Megaton.

Meanwhile, in New Vegas, you're more or less forced to go to Primm, Novac and Nipton before anything, since the paths out of that route are walled off by powerful critters, and 4 just funnels you Concord, the Minutemen, and then Tenpines Bluff from there.

I guess Fallout 76 just tells you to explore without any other railroading, but I haven't started a new character since Wastelanders dropped, so I don't know if they added anything in your path for you to encounter.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

SetSliRol posted:

I hope the next Fallout game takes 3's approach to introducing it's open world - Megaton was just off the beaten path enough that you were able to do some curious exploring around Springvale and maybe beyond before stumbling across it. I'm sure there were more than a few first time players that made it to D.C or even to Rivet City before finding out about Megaton.

Meanwhile, in New Vegas, you're more or less forced to go to Primm, Novac and Nipton before anything, since the paths out of that route are walled off by powerful critters, and 4 just funnels you Concord, the Minutemen, and then Tenpines Bluff from there.

I guess Fallout 76 just tells you to explore without any other railroading, but I haven't started a new character since Wastelanders dropped, so I don't know if they added anything in your path for you to encounter.

Upon exiting Vault 76 you are immediately greeted a couple NPCs pointing you towards The Wayward Bar and the associated questline. I seem to remember a Mister Handy pointing you somewhere as well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yup, and following the wayward missions directs you to a mine pretty much immediately. If you follow the main story quests, you're not getting some places, like most of the east side of thr map, for some time.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started playing this, a fresh faced level 20. Doing the Mistress of Mystery mission to find some gas, I cleared out the Mining Headquarters and picked up the gas. Then I'm attacked by several Gustys, which was weird, since I thought everything was dealt with. Then I see a Level 198 character in the building with me, all Power Armoured up. Upon seeing me, the character tries to hide behind a filing cabinet. The Gustys seemed to belong to him/her. I wasn't wearing a mike, but just walked up to the character, who seemed to be trying to crawl into the walls.

Fallout!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Three jackasses destroyed a friends' base this morning. He fast travelled back to fix something and someone was picking the lock to the room he kept his lead miner in. Switched off Pacifist, killed that guy, 2 minutes later he returns with 2 friends and wrecks the base. All level 200+, my friend is in the 90s somewhere.

Fallout!

I told him that next time it happens he just needs to switch to his other base, but he's all mad at 76 right now anyhow.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Three jackasses destroyed a friends' base this morning. He fast travelled back to fix something and someone was picking the lock to the room he kept his lead miner in. Switched off Pacifist, killed that guy, 2 minutes later he returns with 2 friends and wrecks the base. All level 200+, my friend is in the 90s somewhere.

Fallout!

I told him that next time it happens he just needs to switch to his other base, but he's all mad at 76 right now anyhow.

He shoulda.just let the guy pick the lock. They would have become wanted and he can kill them without consequence.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fallout!

Also if you friend keeps playing for a few months, he wont care about lead anyways. People just run Daily Ops to get ammo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, he's pretty pissed at the game yet for... being Fallout? I don't know. He'll get over it.

I haven't seen many people running daily ops lately. I managed to get my 5 last week for the challenges, but I'm waiting 15-30 minutes for a team to pop up and then who knows how long after that for the leader to start it. I know I can start my own team and just wait for it to fill up, or start while on a full team, but I'd rather just chill and let someone else worry about that. Most daily ops teams I end up joining just wind up dicking around casually.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ugh, I had enough scrip for 12 rolls on the three-star gun wheel of fortune, you'd think I would get something that someone might want, even if its not for me.

Put a few of the least worst in my shop, the rest will get recycled over the next couple days.

I also put up a new FREE table for one/two-star stuff thats not worth even the stash space:

My internet connection died 20mins later, so that's all those gone into the aether. Pff.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just sell the poo poo to the train station when the legendary machine is out of scrip. Put the trash weapons (low caps price) in the machine and sell anything good to the vendor. I never have the space to store any of them and anything decent will net a 100-200 caps.

But then my vendor is out of caps and I can't sell my excess bulk poo poo like leather or rubber.

My vending machine only has plans and Marsupial serum in it.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I have way more luck rolling 2 stars than 3 stars for some reason. It doesn't have as much capital P Potential but I've noticed my 2 star rolls usually give me good stiff like my Executioner's 25%FFR Combat Rifle or Double Shot 25%FFR Auto Nade Launcher. On the other hand, I think every other 3 star roll I've gotten has been Nocturnal and the others are just plain lackluster.

Is there an effect less useful than Nocturnal? Seriously, it's plain detrimental.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SetSliRol posted:

I have way more luck rolling 2 stars than 3 stars for some reason. It doesn't have as much capital P Potential but I've noticed my 2 star rolls usually give me good stiff like my Executioner's 25%FFR Combat Rifle or Double Shot 25%FFR Auto Nade Launcher. On the other hand, I think every other 3 star roll I've gotten has been Nocturnal and the others are just plain lackluster.

Is there an effect less useful than Nocturnal? Seriously, it's plain detrimental.

Nocturnal is one of the modifiers that's getting an overhaul with the next patch.

From the PTS:

Nocturnal: Removed daytime debuff. Nighttime damage buff has been increased.

It's not exactly amazing but it's also no longer total garbage.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I thought I was blasting through my levels today; a few folks popped lunchboxes* before a Radiation Rumble and I unknowingly got 'Very Well Rested: +100%XP' on my character for an hour - long enough to do the RR, a Uranium Fever that popped straight after and then a solo through today's OP. I only noticed when I got back to my camp, checked my stats page and saw I had 5mins left on the effect, so booked it over to the nearby Super Mutant camp and got a last few double XP kills :o:

I can see where the multi-hundred level players come from now :o:

*I also got Confetti Mess which is my absolute favorite add effect
:toot:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 1, 2021

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I thought I was blasting through my levels today; a few folks popped lunchboxes* before a Radiation Rumble and I unknowingly got 'Very Well Rested: +100%XP' on my character for an hour - long enough to do the RR, a Uranium Fever that popped straight after and then a solo through today's OP. I only noticed when I got back to my camp, checked my stats page and saw I had 5mins left on the effect, so booked it over to the nearby Super Mutant camp and got a last few double XP kills :o:

I can see where the multi-hundred level players come from now :o:

*I also got Confetti Mess which is my absolute favorite add effect
:toot:

It does slow down later. Im level 450ish and i rely on rad rumble with my quad tesla to get my daily level in a reasonable time. Otherwise, id have to hit all the supermutant camps multiple times and hope they have respawned.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fallout 4 has a painfully linear story. In order to find your son, you must find Nick Valentine, kill Kellogg, meet Dr. Amari, and find Virgil. By the time you get to Shaun, the game is almost over. The Concord scene is essentially a tutorial. Interestingly, if you follow the river instead of following the quest marker, there's a scene that I think they intended the player to see before Concord. Three raiders sitting around a fire who slowly stand up when you approach, and then attack you. It teaches the Sole Survivor to recognize that raiders are hostile, whereas in concord most players will immediately shoot the Raiders in the back with no in-character justification.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas both give you extensive choice in finding your target (Your dad, or Benny). Fallout 3 handles it brilliantly. When you leave Vault 101, Megaton is the closest settlement, and you can see it from your vantage point. The only person with a lead on his location is clearly a scumbag, but you can do what he asks and get a clue to go to Galaxy News Radio. Or you can figure it out yourself by listening to the radio, or work for Moira who will eventually point you to another person who's met your dad, or find Vault-Tec HQ and systematically search all the vaults, or simply stumble across your dad while exploring. In 3 and New Vegas, finding the person you're looking for is the beginning of the story instead of the beginning of the end.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Chamale posted:

Fallout 4 has a painfully linear story. In order to find your son, you must find Nick Valentine, kill Kellogg, meet Dr. Amari, and find Virgil. By the time you get to Shaun, the game is almost over. The Concord scene is essentially a tutorial. Interestingly, if you follow the river instead of following the quest marker, there's a scene that I think they intended the player to see before Concord. Three raiders sitting around a fire who slowly stand up when you approach, and then attack you. It teaches the Sole Survivor to recognize that raiders are hostile, whereas in concord most players will immediately shoot the Raiders in the back with no in-character justification.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas both give you extensive choice in finding your target (Your dad, or Benny). Fallout 3 handles it brilliantly. When you leave Vault 101, Megaton is the closest settlement, and you can see it from your vantage point. The only person with a lead on his location is clearly a scumbag, but you can do what he asks and get a clue to go to Galaxy News Radio. Or you can figure it out yourself by listening to the radio, or work for Moira who will eventually point you to another person who's met your dad, or find Vault-Tec HQ and systematically search all the vaults, or simply stumble across your dad while exploring. In 3 and New Vegas, finding the person you're looking for is the beginning of the story instead of the beginning of the end.

Fallout 4's storytelling is, by a huge margin, the worst of any Fallout game. And in a world where FO76 exists, which initially had the story told only via bots or holotapes, that's really saying something.

Fallout 4, somehow, manages to not make the player care about their missing son or any of the factions. It's just unbelievably dull and, as you've said, linear.

In FO4 you can deviate from the intended path as much as you like but there is no way to skip any part of the story and, even worse, the game doesn't even acknowledge any of your progress. Talk to x to go to y. That's just lazy coding and if it weren't for mods and exploring the admittedly great map I would not have played this game as much as I have. When I eventually remembered that there are story quests I had to do and found Shaun I had a genuine "who dis?" moment because I had forgotten who that was or why I was supposed to care. Same for the factions. None of them were actually engaging in any way and all of them could be replaced with one of the others because they are all equally dull and/or forgettable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I do not like the fallout 4 story at all, it is super bad. You do like 2 quests per faction and you are then crowned the king of the faction. The story of the game is super stupid how your son only wakes up the surviving parent when he's old and stupid, to see what they would do in the wasteland when he himself is part of an organization that builds robots because they are the future and are better suited at going out into the wasteland. Your son wakes you up in the wasteland to compare a confused time traveler to a robot. Like he had 40+ years to think of this plan while he one helped create all the robot people and 2 being the leader of the robot people faction. I'm not quite sure why they needed your son to make robot people when they were underground with teleportation technology and were safe from the bombs but for some reason needed your son to build robots.

FO76 story is leagues better with the Secretary of Agriculture cutting off communication with the enclave to name himself the president of the united states so he can continue the great fight with communism.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Not defending the shitshow of a story that is FO4, but they needed Shaun because he was free of residual radiation and other contaminants, making him a template for the first meat-based synths. They then raised him to be the best among them, and he was given control of the Institute and nicknamed "Father" as he was essentially the progenitor of the Synths.

That's almost a neat premise completely ruined by the execution. Like, they have teleportation technology and sapient androids and life-extending cybernetic implants, why the gently caress are they stirring up poo poo with the world above and turning everyone against them for no benefit? Like, why not just use their amazing technology to slowly turn the people over to their side? Bring up some water purifiers, build some proper structures and maybe get some automated factories going, and boom, you have the beginning of a stable society.

Also, why does everyone in Fallout live in garbage? The bomb was dropped a century ago, you have access to robots and nuclear energy sources, maybe get rid of the rusty shack with the skeleton inside and build something liveable instead of dressing like a Roman Legionnaire and re-listening to Big Iron for the 420th time while hunting Mad Max orcs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
But the institute was also a vault, why couldn't they use those humans? Why did they need shaun to begin with? It's just ludacris!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fallout 4s story would still be bad but makes a lot more sense if you were actually a synth uploaded with a parent's memories as an experiment. In fact there are times where I must think that was the original intent and got changed for reasons later on.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The only time I beat FO4 I forgot who Shaun was when we finally met and just blew his head off.

e: I really enjoy FO4 though, I played a whole game on Survival where I ignored the story and maxed out as many settlements as I could, I think I completed 2/3rds of them.

It was way more fun than the story.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mendrian posted:

Fallout 4s story would still be bad but makes a lot more sense if you were actually a synth uploaded with a parent's memories as an experiment. In fact there are times where I must think that was the original intent and got changed for reasons later on.
Hell that makes more since on why vats works (i get its the pip boy doing magic computer poo poo but would be easier to buy if you were full AI)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tenzarin posted:

But the institute was also a vault, why couldn't they use those humans? Why did they need shaun to begin with? It's just ludacris!

But Shaun, unlike the people of their vault, was a pre-war infant, and thus utterly untouched by even the trace amounts of contamination.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Screaming Idiot posted:

Not defending the shitshow of a story that is FO4, but they needed Shaun because he was free of residual radiation and other contaminants, making him a template for the first meat-based synths. They then raised him to be the best among them, and he was given control of the Institute and nicknamed "Father" as he was essentially the progenitor of the Synths.

That's almost a neat premise completely ruined by the execution. Like, they have teleportation technology and sapient androids and life-extending cybernetic implants, why the gently caress are they stirring up poo poo with the world above and turning everyone against them for no benefit? Like, why not just use their amazing technology to slowly turn the people over to their side? Bring up some water purifiers, build some proper structures and maybe get some automated factories going, and boom, you have the beginning of a stable society.

Also, why does everyone in Fallout live in garbage? The bomb was dropped a century ago, you have access to robots and nuclear energy sources, maybe get rid of the rusty shack with the skeleton inside and build something liveable instead of dressing like a Roman Legionnaire and re-listening to Big Iron for the 420th time while hunting Mad Max orcs.

The Institute really needed an answer for "why not a stable society". They really needed an answer for "why" a lot of things, really.

But this is why I really like Sim Settlements. 2. Water purifiers! Proper structures! (Mostly) automated factories! The systems run on an internal scrap economy, which you can donate into but not pull out of, meaning building up industries and a trade network is important for expanding your network of managed settlements. And as you expand you'll see greater settler demands on food and energy, which you can only meet by training up your settlers to work in higher-tech versions of existing plots.

Or instead of wasteland randos, hit up Diamond City for an information broker with leads on interesting people, or just set up shop and wait for them to wander by.

It's a good mod if you're into that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I rebuilt the wasteland by hand, everyone had a bedroll on the ground in the cold concrete square buildings covered in turrets. They sleep on the ground so they can wake up and farm my tato crops to feed themselves and others.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

I rebuilt the wasteland by hand, everyone had a bedroll on the ground in the cold concrete square buildings covered in turrets. They sleep on the ground so they can wake up and farm my tato crops to feed themselves and others.

You mean farm a 3/3/3 split of tatos, corn and mutfruit.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm busy going through the Possum badge challenges - 'Kill 50 enemies with a railway rifle' - Well Ok.

/Tries basic rifle, is underwhelmed

Well what about if I mod it to be an automatic to go with my Commando cards?

Holy poo poo, I was expecting a chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk-a auto like the Gatling Gun, not the absolute flurry of spikes it puts out; a mag of 10 gone in no time flat. I picked up an 'Executioners' RR from a player for cheap and it didn't take long to rattle off those 50 kills. If you haven't tried an auto railway rifle, give it a go.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I finished that possum badge a few weeks ago. The most annoying part was getting the 15 kills in each train yard when enemies weren't spawning.

The railroad rifle is fun on the lighthouse event. Sticking fireflies into trees and the side of the house.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm busy going through the Possum badge challenges - 'Kill 50 enemies with a railway rifle' - Well Ok.

/Tries basic rifle, is underwhelmed

Well what about if I mod it to be an automatic to go with my Commando cards?

Holy poo poo, I was expecting a chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk-a auto like the Gatling Gun, not the absolute flurry of spikes it puts out; a mag of 10 gone in no time flat. I picked up an 'Executioners' RR from a player for cheap and it didn't take long to rattle off those 50 kills. If you haven't tried an auto railway rifle, give it a go.

I hate players like you (jk) because when I loot corpses I also find lots of railroad spikes! :argh:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
FINALLY made my drat s'mores and finished that backpacking possum badge.

Now to find that drat Unstoppables #5.

Crestfallen Poster
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
Dinosaur Gum
PTS update today with one very big change:

quote:

Mods: Unyielding is no longer available to Power Armor.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I dislike how fo4 made power armor into iron man suits. Maybe if it wasn't for those footstep clomps.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Crestfallen Poster posted:

You missed the part about Floater grenades being sellable/tradeable. About drat time.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Crestfallen Poster posted:

And the Pepper Shaker can no longer drop with Explosive.

Given that you are pretty much using god mode while in PA already, with the correct perks that is, you'd also get all the upsides of a Commando build with virtually no downside, the exceptions being VATS and Stealth.
VAIS in PA drains Fusion Cores something fierce and stealth in PA is not really a thing to begin with.

So yeah, I get why they did it although I have to admit that I would have loved an Uny PA set. Oh well.

The Pepper Shaker not dropping with explosive is a garbage decision, though. It's too powerful. So loving what? Legacies and Hacked weapons are OP too and Bethesda doesn't give a poo poo about those...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I ran into a hard wall with today's OP solo first time I tried it, the first hallway I got absolutely swarmed with invisible bastards.

Realized I didn't have my Grenadier ** Card in play so my Tesla arcs weren't cutting it, that definitely shifted the balance and I managed a no-death run only 6 seconds over the mid-tier 12 minute clock. This was my first time in the Burrows, if I knew the layout a little better I reckon I could shave a minute / 90secs off that.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I ran into a hard wall with today's OP solo first time I tried it, the first hallway I got absolutely swarmed with invisible bastards.

Realized I didn't have my Grenadier ** Card in play so my Tesla arcs weren't cutting it, that definitely shifted the balance and I managed a no-death run only 6 seconds over the mid-tier 12 minute clock. This was my first time in the Burrows, if I knew the layout a little better I reckon I could shave a minute / 90secs off that.

You can solo it, on Elder, with roughly a minute to spare once you know the layout.
And have gear or foodbuffs that give AP refresh because there is a lot of ground to cover between the two signal boosters and the final room with the "Locate enemy group" objective.

For Uplink OPs the single most important thing is to NOT engage enemies while you are en route to the next objective. Heck, if you are tanky enough, don't bother fighting anything and remain stationary at both booster spots.

Once you've done the second booster run straight to the objective marker for the enemy group and murder everything when you arrive there, not before.

Also, the percentage bar always lags a bit behind so you can actually run to the next booster or the enemy group at roughly the 95% mark. Shaves off another couple of seconds.

To keep your AP high, should you struggle with that, grab a couple of Honey. 3-4 are enough to run from one objective to the next without slowing down once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe that the counter still progresses slightly at x0, so you can leave a location shortly before it ticks over and you'll be good.