Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Was warming up a little and completing a few odd combos before getting the DLC. I hadn't played more than a few rounds since the alternate champions came out and Little Fade is my fuckin' jam but ... slamming multistrikes on Superfood Primordium is silly.

Monch monch monch monch monch :lol:

Deeplink

I love this fuckin game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, the Mark of Exile/Champion but spells cost +1 challenge is brutal.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Acerbatus posted:

Man, the Mark of Exile/Champion but spells cost +1 challenge is brutal.

The Endless/Quick/Gain Stats on Extinguish version of Little Fade scales wildly with Marks.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pray for my aunt posted:

The Endless/Quick/Gain Stats on Extinguish version of Little Fade scales wildly with Marks.

Good advice!

I got carried by some apex imps though, which are truly busted. The strongest pair were doing 1980x3~ damage :lol:

Too bad there's no achievement for killing TLD early :v:

monstertrain://runresult/fa98e424-d38b-48c4-b16c-826bce23cb9b

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

What the hell is this? I've never had it block me from stacking incant effects on other units I think?

Ninja edit: Took some shards to afford a reroll. Can't put multistrike on it either (more obvious that it would be removed though.)

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ranzear posted:

What the hell is this? I've never had it block me from stacking incant effects on other units I think?

Ninja edit: Took some shards to afford a reroll. Can't put multistrike on it either (more obvious that it would be removed though.)

It's preventing you from doing a Dumb Move(TM). Those things would just get removed at the end of each turn due to the Eel's effect.

EDIT: Wait, I'm dumb. Is armor considered a status effect?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Maybe it would get rid of the "incant +armor" effect if it takes off multistrike?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's preventing you from doing a Dumb Move(TM). Those things would just get removed at the end of each turn due to the Eel's effect.

EDIT: Wait, I'm dumb. Is armor considered a status effect?

I don't think so, since Symphony of the Soul specifies "doubles status effects AND armor"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Acerbatus posted:

I don't think so, since Symphony of the Soul specifies "doubles status effects AND armor"

I think the opposite since the "halves all positive status effects" version of the boss does reduce armor.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this was a great run until

lmao welp

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Scourge Fel always gets the respect Daedalus energy choice from me, I've been burned too many times...

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just finished up getting Covenant 25 Divinity wins in all the Expert Challenges. Now I have 6 clan combos left to do the same with.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I've only done it once, and it was mostly based on good luck, but I think my build was very Umbra heavy:
Top floor: Penumbra Glutton-specced with morselmaker/master (maybe 1 in Trample)
Middle floor: Crucible collector with morselmaker/master
Bottom floor: Shadowseige with quick & multistrike
Gap filler: Kinhost Carapace
Magic: Mostly reap-focused to DOT bosses during the length of the battle, with Echo Infusion/Echo Snare to buff Umbra units
Relics: Fossilized Fangs (hugely important)/Refined Void

Finally got a win, in the end it came down some crap tossed on the lower floors and a single Alloyed Construct with Multistrike and a Shroud Spike with remove consume/holdover.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This might actually be the hardest achievement to get :v:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

GodFish posted:

Finally got a win, in the end it came down some crap tossed on the lower floors and a single Alloyed Construct with Multistrike and a Shroud Spike with remove consume/holdover.

nice!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Acerbatus posted:

This might actually be the hardest achievement to get :v:

How'd you get it?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

GodFish posted:

How'd you get it?

Probably using cards with purge on the final battle.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

logger posted:

Probably using cards with purge on the final battle.

Sorta.

I used the permadeath, no champion, and extra artifact modifier, then found a seed than had both thornfruit (sting every turn) and channelheart (+20 magic power for sting). The pierce/+10 magic power might also work.

I let my train stewards die immediately and picked up two sirens of the sea and some molluscmages. Usually put them on the bottom floor, and just cycled through stings + ice lances every turn, taking opportunities to remove cards at vortexes/with the shop.

Last fight I had nothing going in except the units and had all of them die to seraph, then pinged him with ~20 stings to finish him.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
How do you make Solgard not be complete garbage, I don't get it. He seems like either
A: a beefy guy who takes way too long to power up
B: a single strong hit that you can't really modify (why doesn't the damage spill over??)
C: a frostbite shark you can't put endless on

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GodFish posted:

How do you make Solgard not be complete garbage, I don't get it. He seems like either
B: a single strong hit that you can't really modify (why doesn't the damage spill over??)

The frostbite build used to be super strong until the expansion. Between enemies hitting way harder in the late stages and the final boss being immune, he's probably the worst champion now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

GodFish posted:

I found he's the nost hobbled by focusing on one tree, but yeah overall feels pretty weak.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

GodFish posted:

Honestly with Solgard the double incant trinket makes or breaks him. Every time I don't have it he underperforms at best, and with it suddenly he is at least alright to actually solid. Still don't see the point of the revenge frostbite though, unless you have tons of armor generation or a holdover full heal he just withers under the massive attack damage thrown at you late game, double so with high shard counts.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
The last few days I have been doing the Daily Challenges and having a blast. With todays Challenge I had the Melted Wax guys that split into smaller ones when they die and combined them with the explode for 50 damage when extinguish. Then I got a relic that made extinguish effects happen twice so of course I duped them and had one on each floor and it was a fun amazing chain reaction and I got the highest score I ever had (over 60,000 which I thought was pretty good and then I saw people were getting over 80k!).

Try the Daily challenges if you never gave them a chance before.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So I've been following Voyix and Cranberry's videos of this game for a while now, starting from a little before the DLC dropped. It's really interesting to me seeing how they play the game compared to how Jorbs used to play the game, which felt a lot closer to what I would have assumed was normal myself (thinking of what I could do with each floor, trying to actually make use of a large number of units for incremental advantage). It makes me wonder how close their way of playing the game is to the actual optimal strategy at the highest level.

Generally speaking, the way they approach runs is to figure out what extremely overpowered floor/unit they want to build pretty early on, and then not tend to deviate from that. The Last Divinity seems to encourage that even more with infusions, as it both becomes even easier to build up the floor you want and also it's harder to build up multiple floors well now, especially considering the hugely increased difficulty of enemy waves.

It also feels like high level Monster Train now is balanced in a way where it's not actually that difficult to win streak if you really want to in a way that Slay the Spire is, making it much more of a gently caress around and experiment with things game. The number of problems you need to solve is generally smaller, and as Voyix will say, boils down to 3 questions: How do you deal with multiple heavies, how do you deal with back line, and how do you deal with relentless. Balance wise there are a few things that are pretty overpowered in a way where if you want to win you just take them when you see them and they railroad you into a free win. Like Cranberry had a recent run where he killed Divinity on like turn 4 dealing ~4000 a turn at that point using a duplicated Apex Imp, where the only armor source in his entire deck was basically just a Steelworker infusion on Apex Imp. Or how both of them complain about how much clicking it is to play Morsel-made or Sirens, and they don't make for good videos because they're free wins that play themselves.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Any tips for CR25 Divine Victory Exile Umbra primary either Wurmkin secondary? I'm completely stumped. I either flame out halfway through the run or hit a brick wall against TLD, I can't build anything up quick enough to stop the first few floors from wiping my pyre out on floor 2 or can survive the sweep on floor 3. I also generally just really hate the Exiled Umbra morsel generation cards, they're so much finickier to use.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

GodFish posted:

Any tips for CR25 Divine Victory Exile Umbra primary either Wurmkin secondary? I'm completely stumped. I either flame out halfway through the run or hit a brick wall against TLD, I can't build anything up quick enough to stop the first few floors from wiping my pyre out on floor 2 or can survive the sweep on floor 3. I also generally just really hate the Exiled Umbra morsel generation cards, they're so much finickier to use.

With Primordium you are probably best off looking for Umbra banners early and trying to pick up Alloyed Constructs, either of the Crucible slug dudes, Overgorger, or Morsel-Made. I generally like the robot because robot infused on robot is strong and Primordium can really get it going good. Multistrike upgrades will be highly desired, as will potentially picking up the trample tome as a rare card. Retch is also a card to keep an eye out for since it can bring back an eaten Primordium. Going against TLD specifically, you will probably need some way of applying Damage Shield to at least Primordium if you plan to play top floor, and if you want to gorge on normal morsels, you either need the artifact that gives morsels damage shield when they enter play or the Feast card.

Builds like this generally struggle with AoE clearing small dudes behind the bigger ones, so you may want to place higher importance on cards like Blazing Bolts, the Excavation card that hits three random dudes, and the Wurmkin AoE card that deals damage based on the number of purple shards charged on the floor. My winning run with this combo happened to have Holdover Good Ol' Wingmaker with +30 magic power to help out with this issue.

As far as Wurmkin cards go, generally I'd say to go with the damage spell basic over the reap basic here, but either is fine. Echo Transfer can help scale your gorge unit's attack faster, as can the rare card that eats all your shards on that floor for +6 attack per shard. You can also hope for the Glareminder rare unit since that is the only Sweep unit this combo gets.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the way i got a primordium 25 divine win was getting the guy who eats morsels the turn you place them and artifact that does 150 damage to everyone when you play your 20th. parked it on the top floor and it cleared everything as soon as enemies got to the top floor and then it was strong enough from eating enough that it could just hang agaisnt everything

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do you go about feeling out a deck that can take on the double-boss? I've been only pushing my deck to 100 dlc points on the last map if I feel like my deck is pretty ridiculous already and will stomp Seraph. However all three times I felt that confident, I did kick Seraph's rear end but then got wiped on the next boss. My last attempt especially blew me away that I lost.Ultimately it was due to chunky tanks making their way to my Pyre, one tank in particular ate a huge chunk of my Pyre early on so the little mistakes as I started digging in just added up, I definitely had the damage output to kill the boss if I got to relentless.

It was something like 2 mega-floors, 3x Heph with Quick and Multistrike added, then like 4 bigass demons with multistrike, damage shield, something else. Had the start with random 4 artifact, pluss buffed trainboys, plus demon multistrike. Also had some 4x strike lady melee weakness who I merged with incant thing. so my middle floor usually started as a working floor unit, barring deeply unlucky initials spawns and none of my re-ordering tools. My main megafloor on top or bottom (got a non-ally descend type card from cave) was the multi-strike naked guy and my wall, which was at worst a few gorillas with a beefed up incant mermaid, or at best gorillas + hephs. So my tanks were usually also my heavy hitting doublestrikers, with heph multistrike tanks using quick to clear damage early... still no clue how I lost.

BTW it's super annoying you can't use "ascend" while on a stacked top floor or below a stacked one to re-order in same room. The card says "move up and move to back of line." Definitely lost a floor once based on a thousand iq play I made assuming I could use ascend to re-order my fragile front unit to the back, plus didn't realize the other card i was going to use could only target enemies.

edit: I am on ascension 5 or so, I was making good progress there but wiping on godboss and not getting next ascension. I get it, you used the DLC power stuff to beat Seraph, doesn't really count as a win. Kind of weird though because if you just toe the line as close to 99 without going over, you do get credit. I went back to ascension level 1 to try and beat the godboss the easiest form first and see what that unlocks for my cards, but still lost with that most-broken-yet deck.

edit 2: I also really like Train Panic mode or whatever it's called, the first time I tried it only because I saw I unlock something when I win 5 times. II went AFK bc it took forever to find a match, then I scrambled to act and lost before my battle began. Next two runs I won and it was really interesting to play with that harsh time limit. My games before speed mode were almost 2 hours long, sitting there looking at the map and pondering items and maximizing my damage. hell, i still see i win a boss floor and use my last mana just to win-more anyway.

Speed-mode is a different story. Only time I made the crystal-tribe squad work and I didn't even have time to figure out why. I had a shitload of infused cheap spells and kept upgrading them and when battle started i just kept casting shitloads of little random beefy spells and sometimes one-hit KO the early bosses with spell weakness, which was the only thing the little blue seamonkey fucker was good for that run, my first few battles i forgot he has no hp and wiped him first turn, oops.

Second speed-win I mostly did through crystal power spam again, but in particular i had some holderover "do 310" damage or some poo poo card that was free or one mana, then 3 copies of some card that just straight up -666 HP on any target. Works on bosses or to delete tanks or even some 1 hp backliner about to wipe your set-up. Deleted Seraphs last HPs on the last floor on third floor with 30 seconds to spare, final opponent died before I finished picking my rewards.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 29, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woo! I beat divinity first time. Sad there was no achievement for it, let alone killing it early. Two of these insane Eel Gorgon Machineguns did the job, unfortunately on different floors, couldn't get my one descend around often enough. I think I could've killed turn two or three if I got luckier with my draw, my Animus of Speed ended up doing a lot of tanking-sacrifice, impressive for 16 hp. I also missed earlier lethals twice by misplaying. Several times got x8 spell weakness but then accidentally used trident

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Just beat the divinity at Cov25 with all 60 combinations! Game good.

I might do some data analysis on which combos were the best vs worst for me. I got a 6 game streak with Wurmkin primary, while default Melting/Wurmkin took over 15 tries.

Watching cranberry and voyix has been great for discovering new and exciting ways to both break the game and reliably roll with the punches.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I'm going to have to check them out since I've still been stuck on primodium/wurm despite the helpful advice from other posters.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

GodFish posted:

I'm going to have to check them out since I've still been stuck on primodium/wurm despite the helpful advice from other posters.

One other thing you can try is using an Expert Challenge to give your combo a little boost. Some of the challenges are actually a little easier to win with than the standard gameplay ruleset, depending on the factions' particular strengths and weaknesses. The one where you don't have a champion but your units are better in some way that I now forget is a pretty popular one, for instance.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

GodFish posted:

primodium/wurm

The way I won that one was with 2 keeper of echoes and a bunch of infused cards. Every card i played gave +2 +2 to the floor, and then the primordium stat buffs were eaten again.

The run history tool is pretty awesome! I hadn’t used it much before looking back at all my runs

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Finally got it! This run was the first time I've ever seen the Morsel-made and it completely breaks Primodium (and the Umbra in general's) weakness against TLD. Put it on an Alloyed Construct and tossed a doublestacked Furnace Tap on it with a Morselmaker (infused with a Morselmaker for the +6 per round to help it last through sweep) and slept through the rest of the floor. Got a Retch towards the end and that was just the cherry on top.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

One other thing you can try is using an Expert Challenge to give your combo a little boost. Some of the challenges are actually a little easier to win with than the standard gameplay ruleset, depending on the factions' particular strengths and weaknesses. The one where you don't have a champion but your units are better in some way that I now forget is a pretty popular one, for instance.

Do the Expert Challenges count towards your clears?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

GodFish posted:

Finally got it! This run was the first time I've ever seen the Morsel-made and it completely breaks Primodium (and the Umbra in general's) weakness against TLD. Put it on an Alloyed Construct and tossed a doublestacked Furnace Tap on it with a Morselmaker (infused with a Morselmaker for the +6 per round to help it last through sweep) and slept through the rest of the floor. Got a Retch towards the end and that was just the cherry on top.

Do the Expert Challenges count towards your clears?

Yes they do. It's a nice "two birds with one stone" situation.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

As an expert now at Covenant 2 and never having killed The Divinity I can safely say I loving loathe the crystal wyrm faction.

I am really enjoying this game

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've tried and tried but I have never managed to find Apex or Transcendant Imps, much to my sorry.

I love Umbra and the, uh, candle dudes. I once accidentally lost with Umbra because I was using my Golem as my damage dealer and forgot about Inert because I normally had no reason to worry about it. My Golem ended up going Inert partway through the final wave and while it put up a valiant fight with its Thorns, it eventually died.

Normally this is a non-issue because I generally have the unit that creates morsels every turn alongside the Exiled Champion but I was aiming for a build that minimized morsels and focused on reviving the Champion repeatedly (with the spell that vomits out eaten units), so I didn't have anything to auto-feed the Golem after they stopped letting you play cards.

Game's really fun.

Though after unlocking Covenant 2 I started playing around with Mutators and now I suck even more at the game than before.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I've seen one (1) Apex Imp. It carried my to an easy tld25 victory even with barely any armor sources.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm addicted to playing on Covenant one to unlock all the cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Chairchucker posted:

I'm addicted to playing on Covenant one to unlock all the cards

Play on whatever difficulty you have fun with. Hell when the expansion released there was at least one incredibly vocal person angry that they had to beat the game at cov 1 to unlock the new clan, since they exclusively played cov 0.