Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Starpluck posted:

Would you have any hope for the game if it was sold to a different studio to work on? For example, Blizzard? Or anyone other than the current.

But what would they be selling? What is Star Citizen? Their IP is a generic trash heap, so it's worthless. Their code is broken poo poo, and also worthless. Their "lore," their ships, it's all garbage. What exactly would another studio be building? Star Citizen has claimed to be everything but has delivered nothing, any studio except CIG can make something, therefore any studio can come closer to Star Citizen than CIG can. But what's the defining characteristic? Is it Crobear's fraud that's so endearing, or the climbing into cockpits instead of doing it the smart way? Is it the jackets? The eyelids? The shoelaces? The watermelons? If so, then nobody will make Star Citizen because those are the things keeping it from being made. But if it's "shooty ships in space" then Star Citizen has already been made, repeatedly, by tons of other companies over the past few decades, and far better than the Crobbler could ever dream.

Star Citizen's refusal to state exactly what it is, while simultaneously delivering nothing, makes actually building it something of an impossibility outside of theoretical physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Blue On Blue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YzR444a58

DDG breaks down how disappointing the Invictus tour of the Javelin is

It basically looks like they built a cross Channel ferry for backers, complete with stairs and plush carpet. The only thing it's missing is the special truckers' area and the showers you have to have the special truckers' key to access. The less said about that the better, methinks.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Sound up
https://i.imgur.com/fblXPmM.mp4
[CC] purring-monch sounds, growlsqueak, purrmonching continues

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I checked out Elite Dangerous: Odyssey in hopes of playing a functional space sim and check out the negative reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336350/Elite_Dangerous_Odyssey/

Is the game no fun?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Starpluck posted:

So I checked out Elite Dangerous: Odyssey in hopes of playing a functional space sim and check out the negative reviews:

Is the game no fun?

I've been playing it non stop since alpha.

There are bugs. There are performance issues. It's being relatively quickly patched. Maybe a week or two of open Beta to high light more issues would have been good.

Some had major connections issues, most are fixed. Unforeseeable issues. Some have very short fuses. Some like band wagons with pitchforks.

Also it's not CoD, and has Elite's traditional obtuse gameplay that turns everything into a mini puzzle you need to meta game, or think around. And Elite grind for upgrades if you want them.

The settlement on foot gameplay is fun, the combat zones are standard, but also fun. If you like Elite, ignore the brown sea.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Starpluck posted:

Is the game no fun?

E:D is great but Odyssey should've seen a hell of a lot of a longer time between alpha and release. Odyssey got cyberpunk'd, if you will.

Others would say Frontier'd, to each their own.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Well the journey is not boring, you are just impatient. You should learn to watch Netflix or read a book, then you will see Star Citizen is lots of fun.

At least that’s the way I see it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Starpluck posted:

Is the game no fun?

Steam users are dumb as hell. Odyssey is really good, and even then you dont need it, the expansion is just necessary for the ground combat stuff.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well now that E:D is bad, SC is good. That's how it works.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can’t wait for the Starfield showcase, which will actually be a Star Citizen PR success, somehow.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Hopefully whoever Turbulent hires to make Star Citizen will understand how to use their assets properly so you don't sacrifice everything else for graphics. I can assure you that outside of that one Twitter poster, having a giant carpet with 4K textures where you can zoom into loops of fabric is not the best practice to adhere to if you want a video game that isn't an endless slideshow of randomly appearing assets and graphical glitches.
its mostly ex Ubisoft peeps at this point. one of my friends got headhunted for a position up there with Turbulent (she worked with CIG in LA before she quit) and said she was thinking about taking the job until she realized it was for loving Star Citizen lol

like "hey yeah Turbulent this sounds interesting, wait, what game are those guys working on?" lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Starpluck posted:

Is the game no fun?

It's getting review bombed due to the current problems with Odyssey, which I haven't played

But if you want to fly cargo around, dock and undock a lot, scan space to discover planets, engage in minimally tactical combat, or drive a surface rover around alien ruins, it is a fine game. Just don't expect a lot of MMO interaction or story beats.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

IMO the best space game would be a combination of:

1) The level of that "you are there"-ness of Chris Robert's pitches and early tech demos.

2) Braben's technical knowledge.

3) Cliff Blezinki's talent for gameplay development.

Throw in an original story and universe for everyone to share in and I think it'd be pretty cool and fun.

What Star Citizen should have done was copy Destiny's model as soon as it came out and merge S42 with the PU. Maybe it's linear for every player, separate from the PU.

Then while someone is playing the SP story, there's a part with a big battle so that opens up a server wide event (like those random engagements and side quests that pop up in Destiny).

The two sides fight, players can join either one and then the narrative is changed a bit for any player who's going through the SP one one side or the other.

TLDR: I have put more thought into integrating S42 and the PU in the last five minutes than Chris has put in in the last 9 years.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
it looks like there's still some amazing value to be had! don't miss your chance... act fast!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

I can’t wait for the Starfield showcase, which will actually be a Star Citizen PR success, somehow.

Starfield will be Bethesda’s take on the Outer Worlds.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

its mostly ex Ubisoft peeps at this point. one of my friends got headhunted for a position up there with Turbulent (she worked with CIG in LA before she quit) and said she was thinking about taking the job until she realized it was for loving Star Citizen lol

like "hey yeah Turbulent this sounds interesting, wait, what game are those guys working on?" lol

:lol:

Oops.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Whoever wanted sc to be like The Sims doesn't understand the Sims games. There are buttons where you can fast forward stuff, and unless you have one of those "be at work" tour packs, I'd ask your Sims are gone the game fast forwards also.

You also get rewards fast and relatively easy so you can keep getting new stuff. This is the polar opposite of SC where you get rewarded nothing unless you spend tons of real money, and then the reward is you get to feel dumb that you spend a ton of money for a Latin title or something.

Not that EA isn't horrible with packs you can buy for Sims games... they are nothing as extortionate as a single Star Citizen space ship.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also being a waitress or doctor somewhere sounds up my alley as well, because I'm not super great with playing action games and especially not FPS games.

But the problem with that is it would probably only be fun for about a day or less. I haven't seen any of the social stuff people seem to clamor about and for the most part it feels like the people trying to use the systems are doing it to make a YouTube video, or to be incredibly stupid as expected.

I've not seen any players pretending to be some space character since Rexzilla disbanded in a totally realistic manner that indicates he was definitely not paid by CIG and dropped SC like a ton of bricks the second his contact that he definitely didn't have was up.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Steam users are dumb as hell. Odyssey is really good, and even then you dont need it, the expansion is just necessary for the ground combat stuff.

I might pay 20€ if I could walk in stations and in my ships. I won't pay 35€ to only walk on stations and I don't see myself playing the ground combat stuff. I hope by the time they add ship walking there will also be a sale on Odyssey.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

Also being a waitress or doctor somewhere sounds up my alley as well, because I'm not super great with playing action games and especially not FPS games.

But the problem with that is it would probably only be fun for about a day or less. I haven't seen any of the social stuff people seem to clamor about and for the most part it feels like the people trying to use the systems are doing it to make a YouTube video, or to be incredibly stupid as expected.

I've not seen any players pretending to be some space character since Rexzilla disbanded in a totally realistic manner that indicates he was definitely not paid by CIG and dropped SC like a ton of bricks the second his contact that he definitely didn't have was up.

I actually think it would be really cool to have an MMO with medical gameplay, like long-term injuries accumulating on death that had to be cured through some kind of player doctor class that had a whole trauma-center-esque game to engage with them. But then you get into the issue of what happens if there aren't enough people playing doctor at the moment of injury, or they establish an economic monopoly, and it starts to break down. You need to allow people to play doctor asynchronously from people who get hurt. I think what you could do is let players doing the doctor class "Craft" treatments by playing the mini-games, and then sell them via in game auction house or whatever player-trade mechanic you've established. So somebody could log on at 4, due a bunch of trauma surgeries and put them up for sale at 6, then someone who needs a kit at 8 can just buy one and go on playing. Both players are served, and now you have doctor gameplay! Maybe you could have some kind of buff if the player was operated on directly instead of using a kit, to give some incentive to doctors sticking around in combat situations. Boom, game mechanics.

I can see that working with a lot of Star Citizen's dumber promised mechanics- researching, farming, drink mixing- just allow them to be asynchronous crafting professions. But of course that would require someone on the design team interested in actually producing anything at the end of all this churn. I'm pretty sure at this point they are fully checked out.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

I actually think it would be really cool to have an MMO with medical gameplay, like long-term injuries accumulating on death that had to be cured through some kind of player doctor class that had a whole trauma-center-esque game to engage with them.

People thinking stuff like this might be cool is how we ended up with this trainwreck.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

I actually think it would be really cool to have an MMO with medical gameplay, like long-term injuries accumulating on death that had to be cured through some kind of player doctor class that had a whole trauma-center-esque game to engage with them. But then you get into the issue of what happens if there aren't enough people playing doctor at the moment of injury, or they establish an economic monopoly, and it starts to break down. You need to allow people to play doctor asynchronously from people who get hurt. I think what you could do is let players doing the doctor class "Craft" treatments by playing the mini-games, and then sell them via in game auction house or whatever player-trade mechanic you've established. So somebody could log on at 4, due a bunch of trauma surgeries and put them up for sale at 6, then someone who needs a kit at 8 can just buy one and go on playing. Both players are served, and now you have doctor gameplay! Maybe you could have some kind of buff if the player was operated on directly instead of using a kit, to give some incentive to doctors sticking around in combat situations. Boom, game mechanics.

I can see that working with a lot of Star Citizen's dumber promised mechanics- researching, farming, drink mixing- just allow them to be asynchronous crafting professions. But of course that would require someone on the design team interested in actually producing anything at the end of all this churn. I'm pretty sure at this point they are fully checked out.

They should just embed Life & Death into SC.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

I said come in! posted:

Odyssey is cool if it works, but its a buggy mess even by Frontier standards. It's unplayable for a good part of the player base just in terms of performance and you get weird bugs where you just get yeeted out of a station if you launch your space boat. Basically spawning 10km out of the mail slot after leaving the landing pad.

I am lucky and it runs well on my system, but i'm the exception in the group of buddies I play with.

edit:
While i wrote this I just got teleported back 3 systems as I got a disconnect while trying to leave my shuttle, which are really frequent since the Odyssey release.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 30, 2021

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

You again fail to see the difference in the Development stages as usual. Have a nice day.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You ignorant peasant! Have a nice day.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Quavers posted:

:reddit: I'm going to be unapologetically honest here, as a reasonably heavy backer i've stopped paying money for ships because of the gutting of the roadmaps and how I feel they've 'progressed'.

Another factor which has stopped me pledging more cash is the availability of more ships in game, call me a snob/elitist whatever but the only reason I pledged for ships like the 890 was the scarcity. Yes I know it will all be available on full release and I am of course fine with that but when ships are limited for real money ...but purchasable in game that doesn't sit right with me at all. I wanted the 890 to be exclusive during alpha/beta, it was sold as a limited ship, same with polaris but now it's open to anyone. Seeing an 890 in the PU was reasonably rare but now with glitches and people transferring cash between orgs the economy is shot and they're less rare.

Is it a selfish view to take, yeah probably but when they're not allowing me to purchase ships for cash but putting them up for relatively low auec in game I have a problem. Look at the prowler, a $440 for $4m in game? I know there's balancing to do and yade yada, we're testing systems, blah blah, I get your points. I'm stating my rather selfish reasons for not paying real cash anymore. It's just how I feel.

Buying ships is pointless unless your reason is saving the grind (which is trivial) or supporting the game. But let's be honest if you weren't getting a ship and cool factor for that price you wouldn't just donate money to CiG, well very few would

:cry:

I legitimately think someone that thinks like this is some kind of sub-human species.
Their dream is to be an absolute fuckhead 1%-er capitalist consumer, which is demented.

Their view of the perfect life is to feel special by paying for exclusivity so that they can look down on the peasants. Unfortunately, this can be difficult in reality so he's brought it down to the much more achievable scale of just thousands of dollars spent in a virtual world.
I cannot even comprehend being bothered by someone being able to get a digital spaceship without paying real money for it.

He's the kind of guy that would be very upset about student loan debt forgiveness because "he made it through all by himself".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

I legitimately think someone that thinks like this is some kind of sub-human species.
Their dream is to be an absolute fuckhead 1%-er capitalist consumer, which is demented.

What the gently caress are you talking about? That's kinda like the default dream aspiration, *you* are the sub-human species.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fidelitious posted:

He's the kind of guy that would be very upset about student loan debt forgiveness because "he made it through all by himself".

I have extremely bad news for you about roughly 200 million of your fellow Americans

Flannelette posted:

People thinking stuff like this might be cool is how we ended up with this trainwreck.

People crowdfunding based on "Wouldn't it be cool" is how you get Star Citizen. People who just want to buy interesting games are how you get... games.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

There's a new Coding Adventure video, I always find these an interesting explanation of procgen techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMEdHcKgM4

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

Would you have any hope for the game if it was sold to a different studio to work on? For example, Blizzard? Or anyone other than the current.

I would entrust specific aspects of Star Citizen/SQ42 as stand-alone games to others, perhaps even Roberts if it was just SQ42.

But SC is the culmination of everything into a single product. And even outside of video game development, we've seen the result of advertising a magic box that does everything.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I didn’t play as I wasn’t aware of it, but some f2p game called Scavengers ran a server stress test yesterday where they had 4000 players not just in the same instance, but at the same location:

https://youtu.be/dN7feG4YICg

Yeah, unequal world size and scope to SC, but it seems that it’s almost like building an engine around massive numbers of concurrent players is possible when you design for it from day one…

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

You're projecting. All you're seeing here is me being concise in refuting the nonsense you proffer and reacting to it as if it were assault, because that's how you see this situation. Your mindset is that I'm in the out-group, and you think anything I say that successfully disputes anything you have said qualifies as an attack on your personal beliefs.

That's the problem with the anti-SC cult. It really is a cult, including all the worst aspects of them. The moment anyone questions your core tenets you instantly get defensive and see it as a war, resulting in you imagining anger. You're too committed to the dogma to ever consider that you might be wrong...

Oh, and for the record, I was only "dismissive" towards those points that you refused you source. I've otherwise addressed everything you said in a perfectly logical manner. Stop pretending you're being victimised. It's childish.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

trucutru posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? That's kinda like the default dream aspiration, *you* are the sub-human species.

I sure hope you're wrong, bud

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

I sure hope you're wrong, bud

:looks around: Sadly it's pretty clear (to me) that I'm not.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Bootcha posted:

I would entrust specific aspects of Star Citizen/SQ42 as stand-alone games to others, perhaps even Roberts if it was just SQ42.

But isn’t that how we ended up here? Insane scope creep and mismanagement feeding into each other until only the talents of Nosferatu Freyermuth permit this shambling, grotesque corporate amalgam to even pretend to function?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

i'd advise against calling any group of people sub-human. that's really not the kind of thought you'd want to internalise, and it's not gonna lead to anything good

i mean, dreams.txt do tend to attract this kind of specific type of person, but overall it's just another money sink for the midlife crisis-ridden, no better and no worse than say buying a ferrari or an actual boat or whatever

actually, scratch that, buying jpegs is probably much less wasteful than buying a ferrari

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nurmie posted:

i'd advise against calling any group of people sub-human. that's really not the kind of thought you'd want to internalise, and it's not gonna lead to anything good

:same:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

trucutru posted:

No THE mess hall is in a Bengal carrier, which has a crew of 755....
Isn't this incredibly low, even as fiction? I mean a real carrier has a crew of like 6,000 all in and the Bengal is about the same size?

Each shift would be like 200 ish total people actually working?

This leads to questions like: If so much is automated and doesn't need people then why the gently caress isn't it much, much smaller?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

BitBasher posted:

Isn't this incredibly low, even as fiction? I mean a real carrier has a crew of like 6,000 all in and the Bengal is about the same size?

This leads to questions like: If so much is automated and doesn't need people then why the gently caress isn't it much, much smaller?

It's not cool to push a blazing fighter of the edge with a bulldozer on a space dingy.

Also you need massive mess halls and room to park your dozer. Don't forget the dozer they are going sell is huge.

The dozer has its own kitchen, toilet, rec room and two bedrooms. The upmarket dozer even comes with a spa.

Infact maybe crobbler is counting the butler service on the dozer as dozer crew and not Carrier crew and that's why the crew number seams so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

1 captain, ~100 commandos, ~600 floor moppers. Seems about right to me, it's the future so you don't need as many people cleaning the toilets.