Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Today in "PYF little things people first enjoyed almost 15 years ago in games" I'm getting a kick out of getting a random mission that sent me to the moon in Mass Effect 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In nioh, if you hit something with an attack that does both physical and elemental damage, the elemental vs physical damage are shown in two separate damage numbers so you can know how effective the element actually is on that enemy

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

I hate Middle-earth: Shadow of War because I want to make all the orcs my friends forever and ever. :(

Shaka the Tark-Slayer was just so happy he killed me I didn't have the heart to take him out.

Is it because he took your heart out and ate it?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

an enemy is just a friend you haven't killed yet

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

thecluckmeme posted:

Strangeland has a "puzzle" in which you have to feed a piece of meat to a beast with six mouths, and you can only hold one piece of meat at a time. Meaning you would give the meat, then have to walk back to the guy who gives you the meat, and walk back to fill in the rest of them...

...except instead of making you do it, after you put in the second one as confirmation of "I figured out the puzzle, it's just doing this many times" the game smash cuts back and forth filling in the rest/getting the meat for you. It would have been an extremely tedious puzzle, but instead it cut the tedium to a minimum.

FFXIV does a similar thing to cut out tedium that I appreciate; if you're at a part in the story where the questgiver says, "For this next thing we'll need a groodle, a greeble, and a gribblywang," often your NPC buds will say, "We'll handle the groodle and greeble, and Player, you go get the gribbywang." It makes it feel like the NPCs are actively contributing to things, rather than just having them stand around while the player is the only one who does stuff.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
And then there's the Titan questline. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

packetmantis posted:

And then there's the Titan questline. :v:

Was that the real tedious one full of busywork and going from point a to b and back to a?

that's everything up to when I quit mid heavensward

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

Was that the real tedious one full of busywork and going from point a to b and back to a?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Len posted:

Same.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Good thing you quot before making it to Stormblood, where that gets 100x worse!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Screaming Idiot posted:

I hate Middle-earth: Shadow of War because I want to make all the orcs my friends forever and ever. :(

Shaka the Tark-Slayer was just so happy he killed me I didn't have the heart to take him out.

Death is a minor inconvenience to most of the Orcs so I wouldn't feel too bad. Cutting each other's heads off is just the way Orcs and Tarks show affection.

That said, I would pay approximately a hundred pounds for a DLC where you play as an Orc warlord gathering your horde to wipe out the filthy elves. I would also accept playing as a dwarf.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Good thing you quot before making it to Stormblood, where that gets 100x worse!

I liked the dungeons and playing with goons was fun but after trudging through the pre heavensward stuff because "it gets good as soon as it starts" it just kind of never did

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another of my all-time favorite lines in the series.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My favourite line, at least in Mass Effect 1, was when you're talking to a Turian about corporate corruption with Wrex in your party. The Turian complains about executives not realizing that someone is loving up the company for personal gain, and Wrex chimes in with

"Well if these executives don't blame [the guy for being corrupt], they're fools. You should eat them."

Just so quick and matter-of-fact that I couldnt help but laugh.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Morpheus posted:

My favourite line, at least in Mass Effect 1, was when you're talking to a Turian about corporate corruption with Wrex in your party. The Turian complains about executives not realizing that someone is loving up the company for personal gain, and Wrex chimes in with

"Well if these executives don't blame [the guy for being corrupt], they're fools. You should eat them."

Just so quick and matter-of-fact that I couldnt help but laugh.

Related.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hell yeah, liked that one too. I basically brought Wrex everywhere, and only like a third of the reason was his ability to tank attacks on Insanity difficulty.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW is there any information about that Live a Live announcement last year where the trademark got extended to austrailia (IIRC)? Curious if something's happening there, maybe it got interrupted by the pandemic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anytime a game references how Bad rear end you were in a previous entry is great

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Speaking of Mass Effect, I've been using photo mode to zoom way in on distant flapping things on alien planets, things that are only flying specks across the sky, things that originally you were in no way meant to see the models of up close.

This is a strange, four-winged reptilian creature, not entirely unlike a pterosaur.

This is a pigeon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

This is a pigeon.

A space pigeon :colbert:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I knew it! Pigeons are aliens!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

A space pigeon :colbert:

I mean, technically everything is in space, so even the birds outside your window are space birds.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I mean, technically everything is in space, so even the birds outside your window are space birds.

I'll accept this argument.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This is true, and unfortunately easily forgettable. I regret every chance I've missed to tell people I need to get into my space car and go to my space job.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Space dinosaurs, if ya want to get funky about it

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is true, and unfortunately easily forgettable. I regret every chance I've missed to tell people I need to get into my space car and go to my space job.

I'm going to tell people this from now on every time I go to pretend to work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I would absolutely believe that pigeons continue to be an invasive pest even in space.

Apparently pigeons are something of a Bioware injoke specifically.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Anytime a game references how Bad rear end you were in a previous entry is great

There's a part In Fallout 4 where the leader of the Railroad asks why they should let you join them. If you have done something significant before that then one of the others will tell the leader how cool you are.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I would absolutely believe that pigeons continue to be an invasive pest even in space.

Mass Effect is full of invasive pest species (varren, pyjacks, thresher maws), mostly because it makes populating alien worlds easier, but I will definitely accept as headcanon that the humble terran feral rock dove has spread throughout the galaxy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RoboRodent posted:

Mass Effect is full of invasive pest species (varren, pyjacks, thresher maws), mostly because it makes populating alien worlds easier, but I will definitely accept as headcanon that the humble terran feral rock dove has spread throughout the galaxy.

You know within the first week of humans turning up at the Citadel, honored representatives of their people stepping onto the grand galactic stage, there'd be an unstoppable population of pigeons roosting in every Ward. All of them feasting off the remains of fast food from across a thousand worlds like they'd always been there.

And nobody will know how they got onto the station.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And rats.

So many rats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2: I love that in the Tyranid campaign you wipe out the Iron Hands early in the campaign. For the Imperium, the first sign that this Tyranid hive-fleet might be a thing is when the Imperium notices the bugs heading for Medusa, the Iron Hands' homeworld, and insists that the Iron Hands work with the Eldar and the rest of the Imperium to contain the threat. The Iron Hands tell the Imperial Navy and Eldar to piss off, they've got this.

Then the Tyranids eat Medusa.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2: I love that in the Tyranid campaign you wipe out the Iron Hands early in the campaign. For the Imperium, the first sign that this Tyranid hive-fleet might be a thing is when the Imperium notices the bugs heading for Medusa, the Iron Hands' homeworld, and insists that the Iron Hands work with the Eldar and the rest of the Imperium to contain the threat. The Iron Hands tell the Imperial Navy and Eldar to piss off, they've got this.

Then the Tyranids eat Medusa.

Aren't the Imperium notoriously anti-Xeno? Or are the Tyranids an enemy-of-my-enemy exception?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aren't the Imperium notoriously anti-Xeno? Or are the Tyranids an enemy-of-my-enemy exception?

In the fluff, yes the Tyranids are generally the big "Holy poo poo drop what you're doing, buddy up with the Eldar and Tau and whoever the gently caress, and KILL THE BUGS" threat. Chaos also sometimes rates.

Now, this same kind of thing happens in the Imperial campaign, but as it generally goes into the fluff, being arrogant morons just means a costly heroic victory for the Imperium because space Nazis overcome.

The Tyranid campaign in BFGA2 is in general hilarious because for once... no, the space Nazis don't overcome. Everyone acts like arrogant dicks, and for once, they don't prevail because HUMANITY IS SUPERIOR. Nope. They get eaten, just like the other guys an hour ago who decided to make a GLORIOUS STAND AGAINST THE GREAT DEVOURER.

And now they're biomass you're spending to make more ships.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What used to be a more common theme with the Imperium and might be getting remembered is that the Imperium could be a lot more effective than it is if it wasn't constantly having right-hand-versus-left moments due to pride, distrust, petty grudges, power-mad megalomaniacs and interservice rivalry that can and does escalate to all-out warfare. There's a reason the whole setting is built around how any side can be fighting any other side, or its own side, anywhere for any reason. And it's usually the most paranoid and fascist parts of the Imperium instigating these things through being assholes who refuse to play nice and start poo poo to try to cover their own fuckups.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alhazred posted:

There's a part In Fallout 4 where the leader of the Railroad asks why they should let you join them. If you have done something significant before that then one of the others will tell the leader how cool you are.

He'll list multiple things as well, to the point that if you have enough big accomplishments before trying to join it sounds like he's just mocking her for not recognizing you on sight.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Acute Grill posted:

He'll list multiple things as well, to the point that if you have enough big accomplishments before trying to join it sounds like he's just mocking her for not recognizing you on sight.

Also, that character isn't just omnisciently aware of your doings. They are actually physically present for them, in disguise. Experienced players are able to find them around the world map watching you prior to meeting the Railroad.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, Tyranids often are one of those big deals. There’s even an instance where Space Marines teamed up with Necrons to fight them. Human/alien teamups, even in apocalyptic situations, are still incredibly rare. You have to either be really secretive or have a lot of authority to do it, and at the end of the day you’re still a human supremacist. Warhammer 40K recently underwent a bunch of galaxy-shaking plot developments, and the Imperium and Eldar briefly teamed up during them. Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 takes place after them.

The game is pretty nuts because in each of the campaigns you either kill Abaddon and cripple the Chaos legions, take out a Primarch and destroy other major lore things leaving the Imperium completely hosed, or both. GW in the past seemed to be a lot less willing to let game companies use their big name characters. Back when Dawn of War 2 came out, it caused a minor stir among fans when Abaddon briefly showed up to give orders and threats the campaign’s main Chaos guy.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Jun 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

rydiafan posted:

Also, that character isn't just omnisciently aware of your doings. They are actually physically present for them, in disguise. Experienced players are able to find them around the world map watching you prior to meeting the Railroad.

It's fun when games do this and you can actually spot them on occasion. Half-Life has the G-Man show up with varying levels of subtlety throughout, and Fallout New Vegas DLC Lonesome Road has Ulysses occasionally in the background iirc.

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, Tyranids often are one of those big deals. There’s even an instance where Space Marines teamed up with Necrons to fight them. Human/alien teamups, even in apocalyptic situations, are still incredibly rare. You have to either be really secretive or have a lot of authority to do it, and at the end of the day you’re still a human supremacist. Warhammer 40K recently underwent a bunch of galaxy-shaking plot developments, and the Imperium and Eldar briefly teamed up during them. Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 takes place after them.

The game is pretty nuts because in each of the campaigns you either kill Abaddon and cripple the Chaos legions, take out a Primarch and destroy other major lore things leaving the Imperium completely hosed, or both. GW in the past seemed to be a lot less willing to let game companies use their big name characters. Back when during Dawn of War 2, it caused a minor stir when Abaddon briefly showed up to give orders and threats the campaign’s main Chaos guy.

It depends a bit on the xenos; Orks will occasionally actually hire themselves out as mercenaries, but it's rare for that to last very long. Eldar are long known but heavily distrusted by the Imperium, since Eldar have hosed with them a few too many times, and Dark Eldar flat out do slave raids on the reg. New fluff Necrons may be slightly more likely to actually communicate with humans, though it's unlikely to go well. Tau are the ones the Imperium actually occasionally does diplomacy with, though it's still a cold war situation at best.

There's a lot to be said about GW's change in management causing a huge change in direction for pretty much everything about the company and its franchises, though I imagine they realised if they treated their named characters like the good silver gathering dust in the cabinet then no one would care about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

What's this from?