Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Organic Lube User posted:

It's probably completely cynical on Disney's part but I'm still ticking another box in the "Waititi is probably a sex pest" column.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If there's anything Vaush's contributions to Meltdown May have suggested to me, everyone is a sex pest except actual sex pests.

Taika hasn't tweeted his love of horse dicks, though, so he's got one over ol' beardy.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

There is a genuine tension between the cold, mechanistic, and anti-human Russo style with the pre-rapist, femininity-hating Whedon-Gunn-Waititi style.

Lol I completely called this less than three weeks ago to the wailing of the Disneybrains in this thread.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bust Rodd posted:

Aren’t Producers and Directors usually totally different things? I thought Weinstein was a producer, who is the bankroll of the production and generally IS considered to be “The Boss”. I thought that was the case, anyway.

Let me just put it this way, Waititi's job is to literally tell Thompson how to do hers. Are the various studio heads at Marvel and Disney ultimately his boss? Yes, absolutely, but on set the director has the power (and not for nothing, but Disney is far more invested in being in the Taika Waititi business than the Tessa Thompson business, he's making a Star War for them after all), hence my looking askance at their apparent behavior. Maybe it's nothing, it's probably nothing, I'm just saying if I was with Disney/Marvel HR those pictures would have me reaching for the antacid.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexo posted:

Tbf it's a bit odd to go around labeling people as potential sex pests or whatever.

Not in Hollywood after MeToo. poo poo how many producers, directors and leading stars have turned out to be sex pests in just the last 4 years?

I mean I wouldn't in this particular case. But I wouldn't tell anyone of for thinking it's plausible either.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 30, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

howe_sam posted:

Let me just put it this way, Waititi's job is to literally tell Thompson how to do hers. Are the various studio heads at Marvel and Disney ultimately his boss? Yes, absolutely, but on set the director has the power (and not for nothing, but Disney is far more invested in being in the Taika Waititi business than the Tessa Thompson business, he's making a Star War for them after all), hence my looking askance at their apparent behavior. Maybe it's nothing, it's probably nothing, I'm just saying if I was with Disney/Marvel HR those pictures would have me reaching for the antacid.

That's a reasonable take. I will note that the photos dropped May 23 and filming for Thor: Love and Thunder officially wrapped on May 29 according to IMDB. It's possible that everyone involved thought it was okay because Tessa's scenes were already "in the can" by that point. Even without abuse of power, it's not a good look from a "Caeser's wife must be above reproach" perspective.

That said, while "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" might be a a pretty high standard considering the murky, difficult-to-prove aspects of sex pesting, surely "innocent until credibly accused" is reasonable.

Has anyone credibly accused Taika Waititi of being a sex-pest/abusing his power? Note that a couple of people blowing smoke in this thread is not, in fact, a credible accusation in my opinion.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
A grown adult doing sex with another adult, must be a sex pest
:goonsay:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cage Kicker posted:

A grown adult doing sex with another adult, must be a sex pest
:goonsay:

You left out the very critical "if the other adult is a subordinate" part that half the posters here also seem to be conveniently glossing over.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Organic Lube User posted:

You left out the very critical "if the other adult is a subordinate" part that half the posters here also seem to be conveniently glossing over.

This might be hard for you to grasp but outside of work adults are allowed to do whatever they want, unless they’re in the military

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bust Rodd posted:

The “source” is the actual photographs of the 3 of them sitting on a balcony getting drunk and making out

I meant the source saying that Taika was disciplined for the pictures. It's a British tabloid citing an Australian tabloid who cites "someone in the American film industry."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
sometimes a smooch can just be affectionate

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Cage Kicker posted:

This might be hard for you to grasp but outside of work adults are allowed to do whatever they want, unless they’re in the military

I'm not weighing in on Waititi but this statement is not true it's bordering on farcical

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm not weighing in on Waititi but this statement is not true it's bordering on farcical

Come on now when you are grown up you will realize that unless you in the military nobody anywhere cares about a boss sleeping with the people who work for them you child!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BrianWilly posted:

I for one have learned my lesson about stanning famous people with fun personalities I don't actually know, even if the rest of the internet still hasn't, and am prepared to be dispassionately judgmental if he does turn out to be a sex pest.
See also: Jeff Goldblum, which in retrospect of seeing him in concert wasn't surprising to find out he's kind of an open secret sex pest

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Cage Kicker posted:

most people think bosses should be discouraged from giving their employees drugs and then loving them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My bosses gently caress me without the drugs so that sounds like an upgrade

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
It's totally cool to side-eye anything that could have that kind of power imbalance, but it's also okay to allow each of the parties involved enough agency to decide how they wish to behave. Assuming abuse absent any other information kind of assumes people involved aren't capable of making a decision. Who of the three people draped over each other in those photos has zero agency?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Parasocial relationships with public figures are just constant setups for disappointment or annoyance. I don't actually think Waititi is a sex pest and the edgelords in this thread are being pretty obvious about their edgy takes, but nonetheless this fannish impression of him as one "the good ones" is just bound to backfire.

In particular, the weird tendency to pit certain filmmakers against each other like it’s Sunday night football or something, "Yay Taika is here to save us from the Russos!" "Please James Gunn come and make mine Marvel again!" gets real comical.

As if all this isn’t just one big old boy’s club anyway and they aren’t all playing in the same sandbox.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 30, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

Parasocial relationships with public figures are just constant setups for disappointment or annoyance. I don't actually think Waititi is a sex pest and the edgelords in this thread are being pretty obvious about their edgy takes, but nonetheless this fannish impression of him as one "the good ones" is just bound to backfire.

In particular, the weird tendency to pit certain filmmakers against each other like it’s Sunday night football or something, "Yay Taika is here to save us from the Russos!" "Please James Gunn come and make mine Marvel again!" gets real comical.

As if all this isn’t just one big old boy’s club anyway and they aren’t all playing in the same sandbox.

I'll agree that a director dating/romancing/sexing one of his films actors is not a good/wise look. That said, aside from the look, has there been any indication that this is anything other than three consenting adults doing "adult" things of their own free will? If not, then should we not simply drop the subject and move on?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Lol I completely called this less than three weeks ago to the wailing of the Disneybrains in this thread.

Lmfao

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Absolutely insane person sees string of extremely stupid posts by other insane people: see, I was right!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Everyone posted:

I'll agree that a director dating/romancing/sexing one of his films actors is not a good/wise look.

Sounds like someone doesn’t want the Resident Evil film series to exist

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Or A Quiet Place.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
What if it's love?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

socialsecurity posted:

Come on now when you are grown up you will realize that unless you in the military nobody anywhere cares about a boss sleeping with the people who work for them you child!

I imagine almost all major companies have rules against relationships between a manager and their direct report.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Hilarious that it was Tessa Thompson too, who Dismarvel basically uses as a stand-in for queer representation. In the future they're preparing for us even Black lesbian women end up servicing their ethnically-ambiguous (but actually white, or white-descended, or white-passing) [male] masters.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Now you’re just trying too hard reel it back in a bit

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

a Loving Dog posted:

Now you’re just trying too hard reel it back in a bit
So many people want to be SMG for some godforsaken reason, hope this one doesn't turn out like BOTL

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Hilarious that it was Tessa Thompson too, who Dismarvel basically uses as a stand-in for queer representation. In the future they're preparing for us even Black lesbian women end up servicing their ethnically-ambiguous (but actually white, or white-descended, or white-passing) [male] masters.

She is also kissing Rita Ora in those photos. Ignoring the uncomfortable conflation between the actress and her character, bisexuality is still queer.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

BurritoJustice posted:

She is also kissing Rita Ora in those photos. Ignoring the uncomfortable conflation between the actress and her character, bisexuality is still queer.

She was ordered to make out with a white woman who blackfishes, I’m aware.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
they're just foreshadowing the reveal that taika is mephisto

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

She was ordered to make out with a white woman who blackfishes, I’m aware.

So Taika is Cleveland now!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Nepotism is cool and good.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I wish I could join in that threesome

Also, who is the mysterious fourth person in that photo? Clearly a voyeur fetishist, probably a disney executive ordering the three of them to gently caress OR ELSE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That person, was Zack Snyder.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Argue posted:

they're just foreshadowing the reveal that taika is mephisto

Honestly I think Taika would make for a pretty funny mephisto

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know that in this case Tessa Thompson is working for Waititi, but overall isn’t she more “powerful” in terms of Hollywood? As beloved as his movies are, Thor Ragnarok is probably his only big hit so far.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

A little bit. I saw the first two but pretty much gave the rest of them a miss. Still, they're apparently rebooting the series with Hannah John-Kamen as Jill Valentine, so I'll probably check it out.

I'll stand by the idea that if you're sexing up somebody in an unequal power relationship, it's not a good look even if there's no actual abuse involved. And as far as I know there was no abuse involved in the Tessa/Rita/Taika thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Directors aren't the employers of the actors in their films. The studio pays all of them. To fire an actor or even a crew member - especially one previously attached to the project with a long-term contract on a major Disney blockbuster - a director would have to go through all kinds of producer and studio red tape. It's not the power dynamic some of you seem to think it is.

It's also third-hand guesswork on the part of a tabloid whose job it is to exaggerate how "unhappy" anyone is about this, so it's all bullshit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Oasx posted:

I know that in this case Tessa Thompson is working for Waititi, but overall isn’t she more “powerful” in terms of Hollywood? As beloved as his movies are, Thor Ragnarok is probably his only big hit so far.

Jojo Rabbit grossed like 7 times its budget and won him an Oscar. He also produces What We Do in the Shadows, which was nominated for Best Comedy Series, and directed an episode of The Mandalorian. It seems like Waititi has some weight to throw around.