Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Baby are you a video game?

Nods slowly and w/infinite sadness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

poisonpill posted:

I like my girls like I like my video game’s

30+ years old, hard to play and unlikely to run :whatup:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

poisonpill posted:

Bug-ridden messes?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

poisonpill posted:

pay to win?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I like my women like I like my video games

I liked them when I was a kid because everyone else did and I felt like I was supposed to and now I still do but I like other things and it's complicated and I don't like talking about it a lot offline

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I was hoping for all of these answers actually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like my games like I like my women, entertaining, engaging, and worth defending on internet message boards 20+ years after you first met them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like my video games like I like my women, theoretically not something I pay for, but they do ask me for money constantly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like video games

But not the wrong ones

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like my videogames like I like my men, able to avoid having a disastrous spinoff outside of the mainline title

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i like my videogames like my chicken fried steak: with gravy on the side, don't smother it come on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like my games like I like my sexual partners, Adults Only

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I let Sony pick my monthly dates

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I just like video games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Justin Godscock posted:

I just like video games.

But which ones?

Which ones?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Just obsessively talk about them online while rarely interacting with them after finishing school.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there aren't that many cases for the idea that video games are bad for society, but World of Warcraft has probably been responsible for more men pissing in bottles than any other piece of media, and that has got to be meaningful in some context

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Probably in the context of recycling.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
So I picked up Tomb Raider 1-3 for a buck each on GOG when Square was having a publisher sale. It was a little clunky setting up controller support (have to use some 3rd party software to map keyboard inputs to the controller), but once that was done I jumped right into TR1. It holds up surprisingly well: the controls were not nearly as clunky as I remembered. It is remarkable how easy it is to control Lara through 3D areas with lots of jumping and action with only the DPad. The environments are well laid out with secrets that are hidden but not obscure and impossible to find. Also, the blocky graphics and lack of dynamic lighting makes the exploration feel quick and breezy when you see modern games turn the same environments as this into shadowy, cryptic fields you slowly plod through.

For all these factors I declare Tomb Raider as Still Good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason those games were actually well received, not just because it was a rare novelty to have a platformer-type game where the protagonist moved and handled more like a real person. Unfortunately the genre deemed 'cinematic platformer' eventually got totally devoured by the 'cinematic'. So, so many games show that the devs really desperately want to make movies, and/or they have these new graphical effects and goddamn they're going to show them off at every opportunity.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for the first Tomb Raider games, me and my dad sat and played through them all up till Tomb Raider 4 which was a bizzare and boring change of events but I cannot for the life of me imaging playing them again in 2021. I think I'd enjoy watching a lets play though since I haven't even looked at most of those games since the 90's but yeah man those are games of a different era.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a reason those games were actually well received, not just because it was a rare novelty to have a platformer-type game where the protagonist moved and handled more like a real person. Unfortunately the genre deemed 'cinematic platformer' eventually got totally devoured by the 'cinematic'. So, so many games show that the devs really desperately want to make movies, and/or they have these new graphical effects and goddamn they're going to show them off at every opportunity.

Yeah, I guess so. In spite of all the (apparently) new and innovative ideas the Uncharted series has, it just feels less fun and less of a "game" than old TR. The Moon Shoes jumping and manual gripping makes it feel more exploratory than Uncharted's "push forward to clear the area" navigation

Edit: JollyBoyJohn I thought they would be impossible to pick up again, but I was willing to drop a few bucks to mess around in Lara's manor again. I was shocked at how playable they still are

Doctor J Off fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, there's a reason these games have people spending ages just messing around in the tutorial level, like it's Mario. Games that are meant to be engaging to actually play, not just roll out a parade of setpieces at you.

Just messing around in a game even when you're pretty sure you've done everything you can do in it is something I dunno if you see often outside really bored kids, but a lot of games do lend themselves to that with big, explorable worlds with lots of personality to them. GTA seems a given. Banjo-Tooie I used to find fun to mess around with, going through all the secret places and how to travel between worlds without touching the main hub.

Though I suppose that's probably how speedrunners figure out all those ridiculous tricks.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor J Off posted:

Yeah, I guess so. In spite of all the (apparently) new and innovative ideas the Uncharted series has, it just feels less fun and less of a "game" than old TR. The Moon Shoes jumping and manual gripping makes it feel more exploratory than Uncharted's "push forward to clear the area" navigation

Edit: JollyBoyJohn I thought they would be impossible to pick up again, but I was willing to drop a few bucks to mess around in Lara's manor again. I was shocked at how playable they still are

Ahh i see yeah as a nostalgic revisit absolutely. The design and feeling of place which a lot of the early tomb raider levels have is striking.

Like there's a little golden skeleton wrapped in wire or some poo poo in the first level of tr1 which always intrigued me, id post a pic but I'm phone posting. Its just a little bit of terrain but it added to the atmosphere

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

there aren't that many cases for the idea that video games are bad for society, but World of Warcraft has probably been responsible for more men pissing in bottles than any other piece of media, and that has got to be meaningful in some context

Do "cb radio trucker talk" count as a single piece of media?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

$60 with optional season pass?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

Everything I have read indicates that the shortages of GPUs, consoles etc. won't end until into 2022. And who knows if that's even true or just buying time.

Tbf msrp on all of this poo poo right now is pretty good. There just aren't enough of them. Gougers charging 2-3 the price isn't the new normal it's just a thing that exists and sucks for now.

Yeah there's straight up massive chip shortages because the tech industry is loving stupid and also it takes a longass time to spin up additional production

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah there's straight up massive chip shortages because the tech industry is loving stupid and also it takes a longass time to spin up additional production

The Anno games come home to roost.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I get these forward-flashes to me being in a hospital bed, riddled with diseases I could've avoided with only a lifetime of different choices every day. Sometimes I have family there, other time I've bitterly outlived all my loved ones, sometimes I'm just alone but one thing is for sure: My main regret in life will be not playing as much World of Warcraft as I could've. I played a bunch at launch, and a month or two of four expansions and I always quit the game thinking "oh wow, can't believe I spent so much time playing this dumb garbage game for dog-brains jonesing for their next hit of pavlov's bell." In the end, though, having otherwise lived a flawless life in every other way, I will die thinking what it would be like to hit level 60 in the old world.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Khanstant posted:

I get these forward-flashes to me being in a hospital bed, riddled with diseases I could've avoided with only a lifetime of different choices every day. Sometimes I have family there, other time I've bitterly outlived all my loved ones, sometimes I'm just alone but one thing is for sure: My main regret in life will be not playing as much World of Warcraft as I could've. I played a bunch at launch, and a month or two of four expansions and I always quit the game thinking "oh wow, can't believe I spent so much time playing this dumb garbage game for dog-brains jonesing for their next hit of pavlov's bell." In the end, though, having otherwise lived a flawless life in every other way, I will die thinking what it would be like to hit level 60 in the old world.

I'm picturing the footprints in the sand poem but at the end of one's life looking back on the times where there was only one set of footprints, the footprints are those of Gabe Newell

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My greatest regret is never appreciating Chromehounds enough when it first came out.

e: Note that I appreciated Chromehounds and played it a shitload until they turned the servers off. But I also should have appreciated it more.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Das Butterbrot posted:

if you mean SHMUPs in general, play ZeroRanger. it's the best recent release by a mile. awesome music, great gameplay, coherent/good art direction and some cool story twists.

I've been playing this game, it is SO GREAT. There's also a vertical mode so I can turn my monitor and it is SOOOO GREAT!
If you love vertical shmups, you have to try this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a really interesting era where I see game reviewers go "I'm still playing this on a 1080 because I don't want to pay a scalper."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's me, but I'm not a game reviewer! And it really holds up. Still cruising around at 100+FPS at 1440p rezzy

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Do "cb radio trucker talk" count as a single piece of media?

And are we talking piss bottles or piss jugs? What about poopsocks?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, there's a reason these games have people spending ages just messing around in the tutorial level, like it's Mario. Games that are meant to be engaging to actually play, not just roll out a parade of setpieces at you.

Just messing around in a game even when you're pretty sure you've done everything you can do in it is something I dunno if you see often outside really bored kids, but a lot of games do lend themselves to that with big, explorable worlds with lots of personality to them. GTA seems a given. Banjo-Tooie I used to find fun to mess around with, going through all the secret places and how to travel between worlds without touching the main hub.

Though I suppose that's probably how speedrunners figure out all those ridiculous tricks.

I started replaying Banjo-Tooie again recently and I'm surprised how fun it is to just run some and explore the levels. Sure, it's annoying the have to hit a switch, fun back and change to a new shape just to open a new switch that you probably have to get a new power to even explore properly, but when it all starts to click it feels really fun and dynamic.

I think way too many games have really ironed out exploring and loving around in lieu of just coming up with a bunch of challenges and have you check off a list. Hell, even Mario got rid of hub worlds, Galaxy 2's little comet just feels lame compared to other games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Do you have asymmetrical hands or something? What logical reason would there be for your right thumb being comfortable there but not your left? The tiny hands thing doesn't even make any sense lol. The Dualsense is the same size or bigger than the xbox controller.

People that are adamant about the Xbox placement being better are funny because they don't realize it only only feels better because that's what they are used to. There's no actual ergonomic reason for it.

I used to feel like that placement was better but realized it was only because I played a lot of Xbox at the time. After using both sony and MS style controllers for years I have pretty much zero preference between the two with maybe a slight edge towards Sonys design being better.

Woah there, do you think this applies to Mouse and Keyboard controls too because it totally does. :c00lbert:

Waltzing Along posted:

The Xbox placement is better than the PS placement because it upsets people pretty easily to say it.

Also this.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

adhuin posted:

I prefer the Xbox controllers, but PS4 controllers are fine too. (for babies)

Update on the unpopular opinion: PS5 controller sucks rear end, when using Dpad.
My left middle-finger is getting murdered... MURDERED by the underside of the L2-button, while playing Virtua Fighter 5.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you take a moment and relax your hands in front of you, you'll find that the natural resting position of either hand is easily able to accommodate a dick.

If you imagine a reasonably sized, erect dick in your hand, you can see that your thumbs will naturally rest just below the glans of the imaginary dick on either side where the Xbox's left thumbstick is, and where the 4 buttons on the right side of the Xbox's controller is. This is because at any time it is more common to be using a combination of the left thumbstick and the 4 buttons on the right side-- specifically on the A/B/X, your most common inputs. Your thumbs will need to minimally move in order to press ABXY buttons, or move the left stick. In addition your index and middle fingers will naturally rest on the tip of the dick and the ventral side of the glans penis, where the triggers/bumpers are placed in basically all controller layouts. Your thumbs and fingers don't need to move much to be able to use all inputs available to you, excepting the left D-pad (which is rarely used, relative to the thumb sticks and ABXY) and the start/select/whatever buttons, which can safely be ignored on basically all controllers because they're used in far less quantity than any other input.

The Playstation is an abomination, because your thumbs want to naturally rest just below the glans of the penis. However, your left thumb will be naturally resting on, instead, the D-pad instead of the left thumbstick. You need to then maintain a constant exertion to move your left thumb from its natural resting position on the glans of the penis toward the shaft-- where the left thumbstick is now placed. This can cause excessive strain on your hands over longer sessions, since the left thumbstick is by far the most frequently used input. This is (probably) because of a legacy thing, as the PS1 controller didn't have thumbsticks at all, and they more adequately capitalized on the natural resting position of your hands, as most of the time you would use a D-pad to move, and the 4 buttons to control things. The PS2/3/4/5 added thumbsticks but did not adequately ergonomically design the new controller, instead opting to lean in on the legacy/familiarity of the PS1 controller. Perhaps they did not think the left thumbstick would become the pre-eminent movement control input.

The NES/SNES controllers relied on too much finger exertion, as they are designed not at all like a penis but instead like a small, short box. But, strictly speaking, the hands of gamers vastly prefer the feel of a dick over the feel of a box. You can see in the design of controllers from N64 forward they went whole hog on dick-shaped controllers, eschewing the idea of using two dicks when one would suffice for the Wii. The Wii U recognized the ergonomic situation of the dick conundrum and placed all input within very close range of either thumb; all normal controls are placed around the glans. The Switch would follow suit as well.

The Playstation controller is a poorly designed controller and it is difficult to use, even if you are familiar with it, because it requires near-constant exertion/strain to control the left thumbstick. Sony is known the world over for anti-consumer product decisions, so it's not surprising. In fact it was, at one point, the largest distributor of malware.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This isn’t the popular opinion thread, Buddy