Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Second Yusuke "cringe" scene down

Merciless continues: the forced story fight where you can't ambush started with Ryuji getting instakilled with a crit and then Joker getting a 1 more crit down to 16 hp lol, but on the flip side as soon as I got my turn (and revived Ryuji) we "ravaged them" with All-Out attacks.

The miniboss fight after that I lost the first try because I couldn't find any enemy weaknesses and it blocked status effects lol, I just had to rise and grind. Also Ryuji died again and I didn't revive him so no xp for him. I'm burning through revive items!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Never played Royal, did they add more expressions to character portraits? Thats cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, they added some more expressions/angles to the portraits. It's nice. They also subtly redrew some characters' portraits, like Makoto's, though it's not super noticeable unless you're looking at a side-by-side.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the added expressions/angles is a bit weird because, well, they didn't need them, but hey, can't complain too much, adds a bit more dynamism.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat it. I don’t know if their copy downloaded incorrectly or if 100+ hours of gameplay made something snap but I beat Golden and got the best ending. I will tell myself that it was game trying to prevent me from not seeking the truth fully. :downs:

Now if you’ll excuse me before I go and tackle a new game plus there is one more god I need to reject... (stares at the switch

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The awesome thing about Nocturne is how many boss fights the game has so you have TONS of room to reasons to fuse often and way more room to show off your OP results. If you're looking for a game that rewards big-brained fusion ideas, here you go

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Edit: I am enjoying these challenge battles, I am sorely tempted to buy the DLC where you fight the P3 and P4 protagonists lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 26, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did p5r ever use the "talk to the mementos shadow to finish the fight" thing after the one time with the cat lady?

anakha posted:

This.

I challenged myself in my playthrough to have one persona with all the strongest non-unique elemental spells and another with the best Gun skills/trait and a kickass animation that would go along with it.

A lot of crazy fusion chains were done and I definitely sunk more than a couple of hours into the effort, but I definitely had a blast doing it.

E:

Out of curiosity how does that actually do for damage? Near the end of p5r I had hastur with vacuum wave that did like 2 attacks worth of damage and I feel like I hosed up somehow.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Acerbatus posted:

Did p5r ever use the "talk to the mementos shadow to finish the fight" thing after the one time with the cat lady?

It happens a couple times during the third semester.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Palace 2 down!

On Merciless the fight felt somewhat unfair lol since the first phase was basically me trying to RNG not getting wiped on Turn 1, but it did feel pretty satisfying to stabilize and phase 2 was just slow and steady to the finish line.

Made some victory curry (in game, in real life I haven't gone shopping yet so I'm making victory mac and cheese)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Out of curiosity how does that actually do for damage? Near the end of p5r I had hastur with vacuum wave that did like 2 attacks worth of damage and I feel like I hosed up somehow.

My endgame lineup was based on triggering Charge or Concentrate first turn. The Will of the Sword trait I put on Fafnir works really well with this since it increases the Charge boost to 3x damage.

Trumpeter's spells (assuming no weakness hit) would do about 700 damage if unmodified by Concentrate and about 1800 with Concentrate. I didn't focus too such on buffing Trumpeter's magical damage outside of having Concentrate available because I was focused more on having elemental coverage. Lucifer with Morning Star was my buffed magic damage dealer:

Things go crazier with Fafnir or Yoshitsune and their physical damage.

One-Shot Kill with Charge:

Riot Gun with Charge:

Riot Gun w/o Charge:

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 28, 2021

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On Merciless the fight felt somewhat unfair lol since the first phase was basically me trying to RNG not getting wiped on Turn 1, but it did feel pretty satisfying to stabilize and phase 2 was just slow and steady to the finish line.

That first phase was the only time in my Merciless run I had to ask for help.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's a real shame that Prison Labor is only played in some of P5R's side-content (that is mostly confined to DLCs at that), it's a waste of a standout song on the soundtrack. Imagine if they'd used it for the original final boss or the first phase of the new final boss (though arguably it would be a bit jarring in the latter case).

Finally got around to finishing P5R yesterday night, the new content is quite good but there's only so much they can do within the framework of the pre-existing story and the (in my opinion) complete wet fart that was the original ending.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I didn't know Royal would make Makoto even more of a narc lmao

Edit: persona too timely

Also Morgana had the same reaction to that acrobatic move that I did irl

Edit 2: where the hell is Sae pulling this from lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 31, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I mean, if you watch the opening cutscene it's basically joker doing backflips in front of the cops for three minutes

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I lost it when Sae was interrogating Joker about the fortune teller and the kid who teaches him to shoot.

Yes, those are my accomplices, a 10 year old and a fortune teller.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It seems to me that the Phantom Thieves are a group of teenagers...and I KNOW that teenagers have parents.

[slams hand on desk]

Spill it. Who birthed you!?

in the process of writing this joke I realized that Ryuji is the only Phantom Thief to have an actual parent

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Futaba also has an Actual Parent.

Though yes between the entire team they have One Mom and One Dad worth the names.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hellioning posted:

Futaba also has an Actual Parent.
She’s sharing him with Akira now, too!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Both of Ann's parents are alive, they just work overseas.

Like she's basically P4MC but was just stuck in Shibuya for most of her school life instead.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Haru had a dad
He’s kind of important to the story, even.

Re: Sae

https://youtu.be/sYJkmRcx8xQ

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Haru had a dad
He’s kind of important to the story, even.

She has a dad but he is also a complete piece of poo poo which what was meant by the whole worthy of the name thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like this needs a timestamp, after ten seconds I gave up

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kasumi's dad seems nice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol I couldn't keep my hand out of the biscuit tin and immediately started Persona 4G

I hate Yosuke with every fiber of my being already.
Even the protag is bland as hell, at least Akira had a strong tendency to snark in his dialog options.
Maybe my headphones are breaking but JP Chie sounds like a mosquito, the audio compression on her voice samples is horrible.
Naturally I ran into all the major spoilers on the internet long ago so hopefully that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game too much.

That being said I love how fluid the animations are. When/if P5R ever makes it to Steam I really hope it gets the same treatment because it feels horribly jank by comparison.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The original VA for English Chie is the only good voice for Chie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sapozhnik posted:

lol I couldn't keep my hand out of the biscuit tin and immediately started Persona 4G

Even the protag is bland as hell, at least Akira had a strong tendency to snark in his dialog options.
Maybe my headphones are breaking but JP Chie sounds like a mosquito, the audio compression on her voice samples is horrible.
Naturally I ran into all the major spoilers on the internet long ago so hopefully that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game too much.

That being said I love how fluid the animations are. When/if P5R ever makes it to Steam I really hope it gets the same treatment because it feels horribly jank by comparison.
Switch to the English voices. Teddie's JP voice is even worse than Chie's.

The anime turned the protag from 'bland' to 'incredibly deadpan' and it's a beautiful change and basically how I play him all the time now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Saying P4G has better animations than P5 is a new one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite P4 animations are Dojima's because it's incredibly obvious that they just reskinned Akihiko for them (also he never puts down the loving coat.)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of golden voice acting, Rise’s voice actress in Japanese is more... accurate for a idol but it would get on my nerves super quickly so I don’t think I would even try a Japanese Voiceover run. The English VA cast in Golden was stellar and I loved all of them so much. (Shout our to Naoto and Kanji for stellar deliveries in practically every way)

And this... spoilers for funny in game moment more then anything

Edit: stroller isn’t stellar

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 1, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat I thought I learned some weird rear end slang to use

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

drat I thought I learned some weird rear end slang to use

I mean... no one is stopping you...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4's VA cast is good but after Max Mittleman as Ryuji everyone is automatically a tier below.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 1, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

P4's VA cast is good but after Max Mittleman as Ryuji every is automatically a tier below.

Ryuji was Stroller in 5, I usually don't love the bro Char's but he earned it

I always like to hit the poo poo people don't think of, So i'll say Igor's VA was absolutely killer, nailed the weird Gothic Horror Gremlin guy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amanda Winn-Lee always voices the best characters:
Ulala in Eternal Punishment
Haru in Devil Survivor 1
That chick from DDS
Yukiko

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
But she also voices Ohya, so that's a big counter-point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eh, Ohya was mostly just boring, not really actively "bad", IMO, and Winn-Lee still did a bang-up job on the VA, so it's still a win.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's more annoying how many points you needed to lvl her up. It was nuts

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real problem with Ohya is that she is a datable option for some reason and her confidant abilities are at best useless and at worst actually a downgrade.

I mean I've seen exactly one person actually get kicked out of a palace because of hitting 100% alarm but twitch streamers don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I like Ohya as a concept and meeting up with her in Crossroads is fun, but the Confidant itself (especially the underage boyfriend stuff she pulls) is both boring and pretty yikes. Her abilities are also very very bad

I still like going to Crossroads over like, the arcade with Get Smoked kid