Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Phanatic posted:

It was a concept car, yeah. The pointy bits were actually radomes for collision avoidance. But they'd still have killed the poo poo out of pedestrians.

https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z4873/cadillac-cyclone-xp-74-concept.aspx

I'll take my chances with low and pointy over the last 10+ years of pickup trucks with armpit-height hoods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

So the contractors on my renovation removed a radiator in a bathroom earlier in the week. They figured that since the steam was off for summer there was no reason to cap the steam line.

The steam wasn't off though. The feed is just cut if the outside temp is over 55F. Thursday night it got down to 40F. Also, we have negative air machines running since this is in a hospital setting, so the staff in the building didn't hear the giant steam leak blasting out of the radiator pipe all night. One bathroom gut and remodel has now tuned into a bathroom and two flanking bedrooms. No interesting pictures unfortunately unless you want to see a lot of condensation on the underside of concrete decking, but when I first entered the room after they called me and before we got the steam cut you couldn't even see across the room for how thick it was in there even with three windows open.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The hangar where I work has chronic raccoon problems (among other OSHA-tastic features). They get up into the ceiling, occasionally dropping out to surprise people on watch in the middle of the night, and apparently it's against the rules to send someone up there with an M-16 and tell him to Figure It Out, so the problem persists.

Last week we opened up a briefing room one morning and immediately noticed a strong smell reminiscent of a dirty hamster cage or a zoo exhibit. After looking around a bit we see a ceiling tile with a large, fresh-looking yellow stain on it. So yeah, a raccoon either pissed in our ceiling, or worse, died up there and is slowly liquefying. Definitely smelled more like piss than dead animal though.

Could be worse, the guys next door to us had a bat infestation that got so bad that that end of the building had to be closed down as a biohazard due to all the droppings.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Could be worse, the guys next door to us had a bat infestation that got so bad that that end of the building had to be closed down as a biohazard due to all the droppings.

Did they consider branching out into fertilizer or gunpowder production?

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Gromit posted:

What the heck is the "right PPE" to save you when you sweep a 40k PSI waterjet over your leg? Powered mech armour?

afen posted:

We had a couple of these high pressure washers with 2.000 bar working pressure onboard for a job where we were cleaning anchor chains for a rig. The operators used special kevlar suits for the job. The sound that the water made was LOUD!

This guy had it. Kevlar suits made for ultra high pressure water. I can't remember off the top of my head who made them, sme company out of Europe I think. They were pretty expensive as you would imagine.

You can see the sort of suit we would use in this Mistras video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbT7AYv1XE4&t=113s

In a similar but different situation, I used to do safety coverage over a metal fabrication shop that had a Flow waterjet cutting table. It used 60k PSI water with granite to cut through up to 6" of steel.

iroc.dis fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 30, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

Did they consider branching out into fertilizer or gunpowder production?

Bioweapons was right there.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

coldpudding posted:

If you are driving a forklift the world is your crumple zone :killdozer:, I have personally witnessed one knock a 40cm deep buried bollard clean out of the ground and I have also inspected a 15mm thick steel H beam that had a nice rectangular hole punched clean through it by a forklift tine.

i think you posted images of both of those things! i also remember seeing them.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is it possible for a PPE respirator to filter chemicals but NOT particulates? If so, how? And how likely?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

i cant even reverse into a parking space on the first try. i like this guy.

also bravo to whomever laid out those tree trunks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Happy Thread posted:

Is it possible for a PPE respirator to filter chemicals but NOT particulates? If so, how? And how likely?

Yes it's quite common, when looking at the 3M line of disposable cartridges SKUs for gas/vapor + particulate are 6092x where gas/vapor alone are numbered 600x

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's "both" and "gas but not particulate", which makes sense - but I think he was asking about the opposite- removing just volatile chemicals while letting particulates through.

I can't really imagine how that would work - electrical attraction to a filter medium that reacts on contact with certain chemicals but let larger inert particles pass?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Computer viking posted:

That's "both" and "gas but not particulate", which makes sense - but I think he was asking about the opposite- removing just volatile chemicals while letting particulates through.

I can't really imagine how that would work - electrical attraction to a filter medium that reacts on contact with certain chemicals but let larger inert particles pass?

For when you want all the tar, but none of that addictive nicotine! :sun:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its not that its letting physical stuff through.

Chemical filtration solutions usually rely on surface area which is different and sometimes competing with affinities for physical filtration. Sometimes you have a physical pre filter because any physical fouling of the chemical filter will render it useless quickly or will plug up all the gaps instantly and start strangling you. Sometimes you have a chemical pre filter because acids will turn the physical filter into glue and start strangling you. Sometimes you have complex combos of all of the above. Or sometimes you just have chemical filters that would clog up quickly physically but you aren't really worried about dust so you don't care if you have no physical filter.

Thus the problem if you buy a chemical but need filtering-chemical is usually "oh crap I can't get air in don't rip off the mask don't rip off the mask" *rips off mask and is overcome*

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Chemical cartridge filters that use activated charcoal in combination with various compounds that bind with whatever they want to filter out. It’s why a filter might be rated for use against one gas but not others, because the chemicals used in the filter only bind certain things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That said filter failures and breakthroughs are complex topics and can include scenarios where hazardous dust gets in even though most failures are usually gonna involve restricting airflow. Most user guides will have a little bit about what goes wrong if you use a filter for the wrong situation but they are usually ads for the part number of the thing that protects against the thing you are worried about. If your JRA has questions posed that are not answered by the instructions its time to talk to health and safety.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

iroc.dis posted:

This guy had it. Kevlar suits made for ultra high pressure water. I can't remember off the top of my head who made them, sme company out of Europe I think. They were pretty expensive as you would imagine.

With steel liners across the lower leg (at least), by the looks of it. Thanks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/db23DOp.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iroc.dis posted:

In a similar but different situation, I used to do safety coverage over a metal fabrication shop that had a Flow waterjet cutting table. It used 60k PSI water with granite to cut through up to 6" of steel.

Garnet, not granite, right?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(x-post from Longform Reads)
(PDF)NTSB report on investigation of the Florida pedestrian bridge that collapsed. Do not miss the section on a back-of-the-envelope calculation the architects should have made that is displayed against the back of an envelope.

There has never been a more appropriate place to use Comic Sans in such a serious document.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

There has never been a more appropriate place to use Comic Sans in such a serious document.

Absolutely dripping with contempt at all those involved.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

For when you need to convey how of much of a clownshow the engineering side was.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Longer version was already posted and is frankly more nail-biting (even if it is lower res)...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zedprime posted:

Its not that its letting physical stuff through.

Chemical filtration solutions usually rely on surface area which is different and sometimes competing with affinities for physical filtration. Sometimes you have a physical pre filter because any physical fouling of the chemical filter will render it useless quickly or will plug up all the gaps instantly and start strangling you. Sometimes you have a chemical pre filter because acids will turn the physical filter into glue and start strangling you. Sometimes you have complex combos of all of the above. Or sometimes you just have chemical filters that would clog up quickly physically but you aren't really worried about dust so you don't care if you have no physical filter.

Thus the problem if you buy a chemical but need filtering-chemical is usually "oh crap I can't get air in don't rip off the mask don't rip off the mask" *rips off mask and is overcome*

Right, that all sounds sensible. We'll have to wait for Happy Thread to answer to know if he did mean "chemical filter without a physical prefilter" or if he genuinely wants a filter that lets dust through while stopping VOCs or ammonia or whatever.

I work in a place where the most dangerous chemical around is probably the RNAse AWAY™℠®© (NaOH in water) or the 75% ethanol they wash benches with, so I'm not asking for myself here. :)

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

waffle iron posted:

Absolutely dripping with contempt at all those involved.

its incredible it ended up published like that, a lot of people were really, really angry

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHRi8dvDw9N/?utm_medium=copy_link

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hands on head, that boat's dead.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

the rare boatforkling

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i think you posted images of both of those things! i also remember seeing them.

I wish I had pics of the column damage but sadly I did not have a camera and my phone is a potato so have a pic of something similar I stole from reddit

like a hot knife through butter
Also I lied, it wasn't just one I beam in the warehouse that had fork damage it was all of them :bravo: thankfully most of the beams had been repaired by boxing them in with steel plates.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A boatfuckling, a forkfuckling, and a truckfuckling all in the same video :staredog:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The rare hatfuckle.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Trifuckler trifecta

Potato patato

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Computer viking posted:

Right, that all sounds sensible. We'll have to wait for Happy Thread to answer to know if he did mean "chemical filter without a physical prefilter" or if he genuinely wants a filter that lets dust through while stopping VOCs or ammonia or whatever.

To elaborate, I was shopping for a P100 mask, but I accidentally bought a similar mask that doesn't have the P100 rating. That was fine for me but it doesn't even say it can filter particulates at all. Like, the spec says it filters all sorts of chemicals but the entry for "particulates" in the table is not even checked. I was wondering how dust particles or virii could possibly get into something if various gasses can't even get in. Nor smells either, from my tests with an air freshener bottle. The company is being difficult (insisting on a bulk order) when I try to replace just the filters with the correct ones, so I'm wondering if I'm good to go, or if it's really a thing for a mask to be able to handle chemicals but not even a small load of particulates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Happy Thread posted:

It’s possible, even likely, and here’s why.

These filters don’t work by just screening everything larger than diatomic oxygen. That would take impractical manufacturing precision, filter surface area, and pressure. You couldn’t put it in a mask.

Modern respiratory filters rely on several different physical mechanisms to catch particles. Some mechanisms are more effective at catching certain particle sizes than others.

That dip there in total filter performance is at zero point three microns. Respirators are tested with particles of this size because it’s a particularly tricky size to filter—too big for diffusion to work well, and too small for interception, impaction, or settling. A filter with rating N95 catches ninety‐five percent of particles of this size and has better performance against particles that are either larger or smaller. It’s not letting five percent of everything through, just the worst‐case size.

Toxic gases are tiny. The filters for them are based on diffusion. These gas molecules are flying around at many tens or hundreds of metres per second, bouncing off everything like pinballs. The diffusion filter just has to wait for them to bumble into its pores and get stuck.

Larger particles drift comparatively slowly and steadily. They’re less likely to bumble into the pores, and if they do, they might not even get stuck.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Kenning posted:

The rare hatfuckle.

The ol' Gordie Howe fuckletrick

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(PDF)NTSB report on investigation of the Florida pedestrian bridge that collapsed. Do not miss the section on a back-of-the-envelope calculation the architects should have made that is displayed against the back of an envelope.

This is incredible. Given the tone of the document, I was half expecting their recommendation to FIGG to be "Cease trading and tell your engineers to pursue a different career."

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

But he put a flag on it?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So Noticeable cracking 19 days before it fell down and they didn't stop construction? A lot of the famous bridge collapses people were mad because they noticed a crack a few hours before it fell down and didn't order everyone out.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 31, 2021

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Happy Thread posted:

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Flannelette posted:

But he put a flag on it?
So Noticeable cracking 19 days before it fell down and they didn't stop construction? A lot of the famous bridge collapses people were mad because they noticed a crack a few hours before it fell down and didn't order everyone out.

Cracking so wide you could drop pens and rulers into it, as well.