Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Edward IV posted:

Oh man that takes me back. My aunt and uncle used to run Mongolian BBQ place in an affluent town in upper central Jersey and it was a blast while they still had it. By good fortune, they sold the restaurant and retired shortly before the housing crash of '08. Sadly, the grills are long gone; both the main one and a portable one (probably about 3 ft in diameter) that got used when the town was running street fairs. Without those, I wouldn't even consider trying to make it myself though upon retrospect those grills probably required a bit of upkeep.

I don't know any of the sauce formulations that were used though I do know that at least one was Shacha sauce or used it as a base. I know they kept and used a lot of it and that was my first exposure to Shacha.

Was it Magic Grill? I loved Magic Grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
a "Mongolian" grill is a round flat top?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Slore Tactician posted:

Was it Magic Grill? I loved Magic Grill.

At the risk of doxxing myself, it was J. P. Lee's in Millburn, NJ.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

BraveUlysses posted:

how much does a 500g jar of Pixian bean paste go for at a b&m store? I bought a packet on Amazon last time but idk if it's a reasonable price

For the better Pixian kinds around $6 or $7 for a jar that size.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Edward IV posted:

At the risk of doxxing myself, it was J. P. Lee's in Millburn, NJ.

I’ve never been! I do wish we had more of these places out here in IL, even if Mongolian BBQ puts me in gastrointestinal apocalypse.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJpa0MRHAs

Came across this and it's a v. good recipe (in depth) in English. Also done in a home so you don't have to worry about replicating Wang Gang's crazy restaurant/outdoor kitchen methods.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Anyone know what the "custard powder" is in this recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFEoSPqpFI

There's something actually just called "custard powder" here in India - maybe it's the same stuff?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe mustard powder?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Custard powder is 吉士粉, the most common brand of that is Bird's Custard. It's pretty likely to be the same thing you have in India.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah birds custard powder is pretty much just starch and yellow coloring so it's probably that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cool, thanks!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Originally a British thing and pops up in all sorts of formerly-colonial contexts. I used to have some around from when I made Canadian Nanaimo bars :sun:

(Also goes quite nicely used to make actual custard and poured on spotted dick)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

droll posted:

a "Mongolian" grill is a round flat top?

Can be, yes, but the whole thing with Mongolian is you bring raw meat and stiry fry veggies and sauces etc and the chef cooks it right in front of you on the bigass (usually large and round ime, yes) grill.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I bought birds custard powder recently, and it's now just yellow cornflour. The vanilla flavour is almost imperceptible :(

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
So I bought a metal wok ladle from a restaurant supply store last week. It seems to scratch the hell out of my Joyce Chen wok whenever I use it, is there some sort of trick to this that I'm not getting?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Pookah posted:

I bought birds custard powder recently, and it's now just yellow cornflour. The vanilla flavour is almost imperceptible :(

I use it a fair amount at work and just add some more vanilla extract or vanilin powder, or you can add whatever, maple is nice.

It cooks up far more nicely in the microwave per package directions than it does on the stovetop, despite being a stovetop thing since roughly forever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

horchata posted:

So I bought a metal wok ladle from a restaurant supply store last week. It seems to scratch the hell out of my Joyce Chen wok whenever I use it, is there some sort of trick to this that I'm not getting?

Is your Joyce Chen wok Teflon or something? Don't use metal on Teflon, and don't use a Teflon wok.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also have the Joyce Chen if you're talking about the one Serious Eats recommended. My seasoning does look like the wok spatula is scratching it up, but it doesn't seem to actually affect anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

angerbeet posted:

I use it a fair amount at work and just add some more vanilla extract or vanilin powder, or you can add whatever, maple is nice.

It cooks up far more nicely in the microwave per package directions than it does on the stovetop, despite being a stovetop thing since roughly forever.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I did - loads of extra vanilla AND a first go at the microwave method, which is 1000% more foolproof than stovetop. I hadn't made that kind of custard in years, but I needed it to recreate my Grandma's sherry trifle.

(the secret ingredient is more sherry)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Motherfucker's choppin' tofu on his goddamn hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6bByqI_TH8

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Pookah posted:

Lol I got burned on a can of that crap a long time ago, now I just get a pack of vanilla jello pudding when I need it for Nanaimo bars or whatever. I probably wouldn't use pudding to deep fry lotus root though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Myron Baloney posted:

Lol I got burned on a can of that crap a long time ago, now I just get a pack of vanilla jello pudding when I need it for Nanaimo bars or whatever. I probably wouldn't use pudding to deep fry lotus root though.

Isn't it like 90% starch anyway, I'm sure it won't be too bad

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Bird's Custard is good if you have rhubarb and a lot of nostalgic context. Otherwise...meh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Motherfucker's choppin' tofu on his goddamn hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6bByqI_TH8

Ilve seen a bunch of Asia cooks say this is the way you have to cut tofu. I do not do it because I'm not fuckin using my hand as a cutting board. I have no idea why it's a thing, I have never had difficulty with using a cutting board for tofu.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Ilve seen a bunch of Asia cooks say this is the way you have to cut tofu. I do not do it because I'm not fuckin using my hand as a cutting board. I have no idea why it's a thing, I have never had difficulty with using a cutting board for tofu.

It's not really a big deal. Cutting something really soft like this in your hand is pretty easy, but you absolutely don't need to do it this way. Chances are high that if you're working in a professional kitchen with a wok all day that you'll have callouses all over your off hand too and gently cutting tofu on them won't even distract you. I wouldn't want my off hand to be stuck holding something though, it would just get in the way.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Jhet posted:

It's not really a big deal. Cutting something really soft like this in your hand is pretty easy, but you absolutely don't need to do it this way. Chances are high that if you're working in a professional kitchen with a wok all day that you'll have callouses all over your off hand too and gently cutting tofu on them won't even distract you. I wouldn't want my off hand to be stuck holding something though, it would just get in the way.

Is there a benefit to it, though? Like the only thing I could think of is if you cut in your hand and dump straight into a bowl/wok so you avoid getting your cutting board wet for... some reason.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Amergin posted:

Is there a benefit to it, though? Like the only thing I could think of is if you cut in your hand and dump straight into a bowl/wok so you avoid getting your cutting board wet for... some reason.

None that I can even start to imagine aside from getting your cutting board wet. This is less of a thing with western long grain boards, but with the end grain round boards you might use in a Chinese kitchen it's still not going to be much of a bother.

Honestly, it needs to be done that way because it looks cool.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I cut tofu in my hand as a test, and also because I hate washing dishes so why not? It was a fine experience except that I have really small hands and kept dropping tofu all over the place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Amergin posted:

The reason I saw from a Japanese chef was tofu is too delicate and will fall apart if you cut it on a board. I have never seen this happen so I attribute it to grandma advice.

The only thing I can think of is maybe if you're using very, very soft silken tofu and you want to maintain cubes for presentation, maybe? But that poo poo falls apart the second you start eating so I don't care.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The reason I saw from a Japanese chef was tofu is too delicate and will fall apart if you cut it on a board. I have never seen this happen so I attribute it to grandma advice.

The only thing I can think of is maybe if you're using very, very soft silken tofu and you want to maintain cubes for presentation, maybe? But that poo poo falls apart the second you start eating so I don't care.

Silken tofu falls apart if you look at it wrong. Anyone who can cut it into pretty cubes is a drat wizard.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I cut silken tofu for mapo dofu on my hand for exactly that reason. Then the careful stirring/folding after putting them in still destroys half the cubes anyway. One day!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Why use silken in mapo then?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

it is tradition

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Grand Fromage posted:

my mom has always peeled veggies (like carrots, cucumbers, potatoes, etc) handheld, backwards toward her with a knife using her thumb as the backstop, because that's how grandma did it.

I'm down to cut tofu in my hands but I'd just make a bigger mess than I usually do.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ailumao posted:

it is tradition

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Ailumao posted:

it is tradition

Chinese cooking demystified said its soft tofu, not silken.

"Soft Tofu (嫩豆腐), 230g. Note the tofu type. The biggest mistake I see people do is use the wrong tofu – if you’re in China, make sure to get this nen doufu (嫩豆腐) and not neizhi doufu (内酯豆腐). The latter is silken tofu, breaks down real easy, and is usually used in desserts"

Are they wrong or are we conflating silken for soft?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

droll posted:

Chinese cooking demystified said its soft tofu, not silken.

"Soft Tofu (嫩豆腐), 230g. Note the tofu type. The biggest mistake I see people do is use the wrong tofu – if you’re in China, make sure to get this nen doufu (嫩豆腐) and not neizhi doufu (内酯豆腐). The latter is silken tofu, breaks down real easy, and is usually used in desserts"

Are they wrong or are we conflating silken for soft?

I think manufacturers in Western countries conflate them, yeah. Silken tofu is softer than "soft" tofu. It won't hold up to being cubed and then stirred; it'll break into tiny curds.

e: I am not Chinese and have no understanding of tofu mores in general; just speaking from my own observation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah they're often used interchangeably over here, they are different. Silken pretty much falls apart the moment you look at it funny, soft is... well, soft, but it will hold its shape much better.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think manufacturers in Western countries conflate them, yeah. Silken tofu is softer than "soft" tofu. It won't hold up to being cubed and then stirred; it'll break into tiny curds.

e: I am not Chinese and have no understanding of tofu mores in general; just speaking from my own observation.

The tofu that I can get in the PNW is the same company out of California as I saw in Chicago. The difference being we have like 6-7 varieties at the store in texture compared to the 1-2 I could easily find in Chicago. But they do have silken as well as soft. It's just going to be a lot harder to find in the US outside of places with a large population that would know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Around here soft usually comes in the same kind of plastic tubs as everything else, but silken is from Korean brands and sold in tubes. You just kinda slit it open and dump out the 'fu. Usually I use it for sundubu jjigae, soft holds up better for hiyayakko or dongpo tofu or whatever.