Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

A few minutes later the water issue was back and when I looked closer I realized that there are tides, and the water kept receding beyond reach of my intake. I don't know how I've never noticed this before.

Are you sure about that or is your intake just sucking up the water because there are no source points nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Water is very weird in this game and takes eons to settle to a stable state.

And I can never ever get hydro dams to work worth a drat except in that one ideal spot by the rail bridge on the vanilla “Islands” map that gives you 1600MW every time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

OwlFancier posted:

Are you sure about that or is your intake just sucking up the water because there are no source points nearby?

It's a big old river/bay/ocean and just a single basic intake, which is turned down to 50% since I just started the game. I'll remove it and see if the water is still acting weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

It's a big old river/bay/ocean and just a single basic intake, which is turned down to 50% since I just started the game. I'll remove it and see if the water is still acting weird.

I am thinking perhaps if they have not put any water sources in the bay you might be just pulling the water level down because the game doesn't equalize the best in areas with very low flow.

Entropic posted:

Water is very weird in this game and takes eons to settle to a stable state.

And I can never ever get hydro dams to work worth a drat except in that one ideal spot by the rail bridge on the vanilla “Islands” map that gives you 1600MW every time.

I think their effectiveness is based on a combination of the drop between the top and the bottom, and also the flow rate, because the dam won't let water through (and thus generate power) unless it is "full" and thus the total flow rate limits its output capacity.

There aren't generally that many spaces on maps where you have a large enough river with lots of flow and also a steep enough drop.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 28, 2021

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Bold Robot posted:

There are a lot of excellent mods out there. Workshop content in general has added much more to the game than all of the DLCs put together. Some of the key ones have already been posted.

While you are still learning the game you are 100% fine with no DLC.

Even once you've got your feet wet, IMO the DLCs are not very good and few of them add anything interesting. You might want to (but do not need to) consider the following:
- Mass Transit: Required for some mods. Adds some okay features for managing mass transit.
- After Dark: I think some mods require this. Adds bike lanes, which are nice.
- Parklife: Required for some mods. Adds the ability to make large parks. Probably the best feature added in a DLC.
- Snowfall: If you want trams, you need this. If you don't want trams, ignore it.

Others may disagree but nothing in the other DLCs seems worth it. Industries adds some ways to make money but who cares, the way to play this game is everything unlocked / unlimited cash and just make your city look cool. Sunset Harbor, Campus, and Green Cities just seem to add buildings/assets, but you can get whatever assets you need from the workshop for free. Natural Disasters adds what it sounds like and nothing else cool.

Hi, I'm here to disagree.
Most of what you said is accurate, but Industries does make your city look cool. Want proof??

Behold!!

The mighty oil refineries of Zorin Industries!

(and what a view...)

Marvel at the power deployed by Clint's Ores!

Gaze upon the majestic agriculture of oh poo poo

OK, when people say Industries could cause traffic problems in cities, this isn't usually what they mean.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Thanks for the advice, will go with vanilla to start and see what I end up caring about.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

I loaded a map called Newbie Harbor and it looked pretty nice. I didn't get too far before I saw these weird issues with intermittent water and sewage complaints. Then I noticed that my water intake was high and dry and wondered how I screwed that up, so I moved it back into the water.

A few minutes later the water issue was back and when I looked closer I realized that there are tides, and the water kept receding beyond reach of my intake. I don't know how I've never noticed this before.

If the water depth at your intake is really shallow, and your water usage is very high, it will recede like this. You need to find a place you can pull in from much deeper water.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think the one new mod I picked up this time around which makes the most difference is Zoning Toolset. (I hear ZoneIt! does the same stuff with some different options)

Looking back, the main reason traffic always got so bad in my first few rounds of trying to play this game was because I wasn't properly respecting road hierarchy and using collectors properly. The ability to turn off zoning alongside big roads makes it so much easier to do things properly because it allows you to clearly keep track of what roads you're intending use as collectors with no local traffic, and it lets you have lots fronting other roads that back onto those collector roads without creating local traffic on the collector, so you can make much more efficient use of space.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The one mod I highly recommend even to a brand new player, the one mod I would choose if forced to play Skylines with only one mod, is Remove Need For Pipes.

e: actually it might be No Deathcare. drat that would be a tough choice.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 29, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I realized that during my last playthrough a couple of years ago I added a waste water treatment mod with clarifying ponds, etc. so instead of a poopjet I'm building a farm of these things. They produce garbage and pollution, but will tide me over until I can afford the green tech to handle things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The basic, fundamental mods that are such no-brainers they should be in the base game, installing them is no more complicated than just clicking Subscribe, and a brand new player can install in seconds and should do so before firing up their first city are six:

All 25 Areas Purchaseable
Remove Need For Pipes
No Deathcare
Clouds & Fog Toggler
Extra Landscaping Tools
Traffic Manager:President Edition

And these two you will definitely go looking for after your first hour of gameplay, so you might as well save time and install them preemptively:
Chirpy Exterminator
Ambient Sounds Tuner (it probably won't even be an hour before sirens incessantly wailing in your ears will drive you to either find this mod or destroy your headphones)

After maybe 5-10 hours you'll go looking for Fine Road Anarchy, Move It!, etc. and then Modding Is The Game will quickly become your reality just like the rest of us. All roads lead to Ploppable RICO and Plop The Growables. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 29, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I never realized how much the default radio station is some weird dystopian soundscape.

Also having some real weird “water pipes not joining” issues. Wonder if Anarchy has anything to do with it. Seems like my game isn’t registering snapping of some water pipes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There doesn't seem to be functional stairs or escalators so I can get pedestrians down to the beach homes I accidentally zoned.

EDIT:

There is however this...

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 29, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

There doesn't seem to be functional stairs or escalators so I can get pedestrians down to the beach homes I accidentally zoned.

EDIT:

There is however this...

Your cat is very sick.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Road trams are the devil

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2032777851 is the path I use when I need a steep path

Martytoof posted:

Also having some real weird “water pipes not joining” issues. Wonder if Anarchy has anything to do with it. Seems like my game isn’t registering snapping of some water pipes.

It usually happens to me when I have "Snap To Nodes" disabled in the Anarchy mod. Keybind for it is CTRL+S.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I forgot that the reason I haven't been playing this game is because I suck at it, despite having watched more hours of YouTube tutorials than actual time played.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I forgot that the reason I haven't been playing this game is because I suck at it, despite having watched more hours of YouTube tutorials than actual time played.

Yeah you won’t get good by just watching videos. You’re going to have to make lovely city after lovely city and tons of mistakes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My biggest disappointment is falling into the same old uncreative mistakes city after city.

*watches amazing video about fluid city design*

*cracks knuckles*

*lays out same boring grid design for the 999th time*

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Martytoof posted:

My biggest disappointment is falling into the same old uncreative mistakes city after city.

*watches amazing video about fluid city design*

*cracks knuckles*

*lays out same boring grid design for the 999th time*
Grids make for livable, walkable cities. Resist the suburban tyranny!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You could always paint yourself into a corner and start with a European style spoke style city which are much harder to plan and organize.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

um excuse me posted:

You could always paint yourself into a corner and start with a European style spoke style city which are much harder to plan and organize.

That is literally me right now. I'm trying to resist by adopting a DC-style where there are spokes but mostly regular grid otherwise. Spokes just look so coooool

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

um excuse me posted:

I mean, my city is going to suck and be frustrating either way, I’d rather it be frustrating but different :haw:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

Grids make for livable, walkable cities. Resist the suburban tyranny!

Fused grids create a pedestrian grid but cars have to follow arterials instead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dick Trauma posted:

Are you me? I stumbled on this guy and this particular video and realized I rarely ever used zoning and it's making me want to make another badly designed inefficient city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjjvpE5KCKs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to make more interesting cities my suggestion is to start somewhere with geography in the way and don't terraform it. Build around things and your city will look interesting. Also if you get a brilliant idea to make a new Thing to put in your city, just build it to itself and don't really think about lining it up with the rest of the city, then try to figure out how to make it connect later and fill in the intervening space with other poo poo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 31, 2021

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
A thing I like to do is lay out train lines in different directions that would make sense and put stations along the way. You can start developing around the stations and eventually will end fusing each other.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I really resent that the game expects you to start a town around a freeway exit, it’s one of my biggest pet peeves with the game. Hard to make a real feeling city when cities never (rarely?) happen that way in the first place.

e: is there such thing as a historical materialist city sim

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
the city planner plays guy on youtube has just started a new city where he nerfed all of the highways before he began the series. He only wants to add them in if he needs to much as they'd be done in real life. He's also a big fan of grids but will break the grid now and then to add interest to the city.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Chenghiz posted:

I really resent that the game expects you to start a town around a freeway exit, it’s one of my biggest pet peeves with the game. Hard to make a real feeling city when cities never (rarely?) happen that way in the first place.

I wonder whether you can cut your city from highway after initial residents arrive and create self-sustaining city (sort of), hmm.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has there ever been a game that does a cross between SimCity and Civilization where you start as like an Iron-age settlement with horse paths blacksmiths and have to grow and modernize your city through advances in technology?

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Entropic posted:

Has there ever been a game that does a cross between SimCity and Civilization where you start as like an Iron-age settlement with horse paths blacksmiths and have to grow and modernize your city through advances in technology?

I would also like to know! I'm searching my dusty brain and I have no answers. I'm thinking something like Banished but IRC it has no evolution component.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

donoteat01 has a series like that but it’s all just custom assets

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, I really liked Banished but it kind of dead-ends after a certain point because there's no further progress to be made and your only gameplay goal becomes "keep production balanced so I don't trigger a death spiral".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chenghiz posted:

Check out how towns in Houston spring up. They build a section of ring road through farms, a few years later, it's sprawling suburbs basically build radially around the exits of the highways.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

um excuse me posted:

Check out how towns in Houston spring up. They build a section of ring road through farms, a few years later, it's sprawling suburbs basically build radially around the exits of the highways.

Good point, this happened to a fair number of US cities in the 60s, it just sucks and i hate it :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Workers and resources soviet republic is sort of like that in that the maps can come packaged with a bunch of pre-existing towns and basic roads, and it is up to you if you want to redevelop them or knock it all down and remake it in glorious soviet prefabricated concrete. So you can end up with a core of old lovely buildings and then centrally planned stuff working out from there.

It is much more cohesive in why you have the abilities you have because you're literally running a soviet satellite state and you literally can eminent domain anything you want.

Unfortunately it is a long way removed from Skylines in terms of traffic simulation and building cool looking infrastructure, in return you get much more detailed, well, worker and resource simulation.

If they made a game with the infrastructure tools of modded C:S and the other simulation depth of W&R I would declare it best game ever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I thought I was being careful about placing buildings so that I would be able to upgrade to 4 lane roads but goddamn if I didn't put the high school in the wrong spot.

I really am learning from videos, especially the City Planner ones, but there's a lot to keep in mind and if you forget the wrong thing at the wrong time it can lead to problems.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's easy enough vanilla to move buildings, and something like move-it makes it even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Whenever I look at screenshots of people's cities, their buildings and assets are all photorealistic and generally look like a real city, as opposed to the hyper cartoony look of vanilla CS. What mods in particular allow for that, without hand-placing every individual house?