Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

On of my dad's friends worked for FedEx and according to him they get put on timetables that are literally impossible. Make poo poo up about not being able to deliver or get fired for being too slow. They write out the "could not deliver" notices as they are driving.

Yeah the problem is not that Amazon sucks, the problem is capitalism sucks and people are only just starting to notice because of Amazon's practices of giving a job to basically everyone who applies is giving a lot more people a look at how lovely things are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The metrics for delivery companies are insane so drivers do lovely things cuz it’s often a lovely job but they won’t get fired because there’s huge turnover because it’s a lovely job so they’re always short staffed which means more deliveries which are impossible to keep up with unless you work 14 hours every day so drivers do lovely things but everyone complains about the deliveries and then orders something they want delivered 14 hours from the time they click order it’s the circle of life

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People (boomers) congratulating me on my dead dad's heroism in Vietnam. Vietnam sucked and he volunteered because he got brought over as a baby and wanted citizenship like the hosed up starship troopers country we are. I empathize with my dad, but he wasn't a hero. The war ruined him for life in fact.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I delivered sandwiches the worst I would get is petty customers and that was bad enough.

Ngl I ended up walking out because I was expected to go all the way back to a place because the customer said his fountain soda wasn't full enough. gently caress that, I work for tips and pay my own gas.

Also who the gently caress gets fountain sodas delivered? With all the ice that's like 8oz of soda for the cost of a 2 litre, and it makes the delivery process infinitely harder if I have more than one order or they have more than 2 drinks.

My peeve is popeyes and how they set up their grubhub. The only way to get the spicy chicken sandwich is to order the combo which comes with the fountain drink. I just want the sandwich. Maybe even two of them. But I can't order that, I have to order the combo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Order two combos

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

yeah I eat rear end posted:

"Unable to access property due to gate code, delivery postponed"

after seeing them enter my complex's parking lot (which has no gate of any kind) and sit in the parking lot right by my building on the gps tracker for like 30 seconds before sending the message. At least call me and tell me to come down if you're too lazy to climb two flights of stairs.

and then when you contact amazon "support", they apologize and send a link to provide delivery instructions. Which I already had, and they are so detailed you can't fail to find it even if you tried. They don't have a line for that in the script so they just keep reiterating that I can update my delivery instructions for future deliveries before I get annoyed enough to end the chat.

If you use UPS or FedEx you can find the distribution center's phone number, ask for the center manager or even just dispatch, have them send a message to the driver on their scanner with instructions. If it's UPS, call it a DIAD, they'll think you know what you're talking about. If it's a very important package, you can get them to turn around sometimes.

If you always have the same driver for UPS or FedEx which is pretty normal, they'll deliver things how you want them if you talk to them directly.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BattyKiara posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who HATES the Eurovision Song Contest. I get that some people enjoy it on an ironic level, but I simply hate the whole thing. The music is generally terrible, or utterly boring. The over the top stage shows are just bleh! Sorry, I really do not get the appeal.

I don't hate it, but self-conscious camp is an aesthetic that I just never enjoy, so Drag Race, Baz Luhrman films and EuroVision have never held any appeal to me and it irrationally bothers me that I can't rationalise why I find this aesthetic so off-putting. So, I don't hate EuroVision (or those other things) per se, but I hate how mean spirited not caring about it makes me feel.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 20:57 on May 30, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Companies just refusing to add value to their product when you pay, as opposed to degrade the product/platform when you don't: I don't understand why youtube premium doesn't offer/promise higher quality videos when possible.
If youtube premium offered higher bitrate streams I'd probably get it. It's so incredibly obnoxious how incredibly blocky and lovely darker videos are, it's not uncommon to stumble over a darker scene from some LP or something that looks like it'd be right at home on a goddamn Video-CD.

But instead they do the standard thing where instead of rewarding users for paying, they punish the ones who don't. (With obnoxious and frequent ads, with no regard for how it breaks up content at all.)
(It's always amusing when I roll up youtube vanced on my tablet and see that youtube has queued up ads every 3 minutes or so, all of which vanced ignores.)

It's just so grating how many companies just go 'what if we just paywall off existing features behind premium?' when developing their products, as opposed to making their premium options actually interesting or appealing by adding something new.
Like how lastpass recently went and made it so that free users can -either- use it with desktops, or mobile, but if you want the extravagant luxury of accessing your password manager on both a pc -and- mobile, you have to be a premium user. Which is just brazenly lazy and greedy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i watch 10-20+ hours of youtube a week and haven't seen an ad that wasn't an in-video sponsored product placement in years

get an adblocker lmao

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
When I'm on desktop and someone links mobile wikipedia. poo poo irks me more than it should.

Other sites automatically shift to a desktop version, but not wikipedia.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"A few minutes" can be ten to fifteen at most.

Forty-five and above is not "a few minutes"

Just change the words you are saying or don't even estimate how long you'll take! Then we'll all be happy!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

"A few minutes" can be ten to fifteen at most.

Forty-five and above is not "a few minutes"

Just change the words you are saying or don't even estimate how long you'll take! Then we'll all be happy!

When I was about 19, a friend of mine wanted me to help him pick out a computer. He was staying at his dad's house at the time, so I had to drive about 40 minutes to get there, and we were going to leave "in a few minutes." This lasted until he figured out that Dragonball Z was on, so I was stuck there watching Goku power up a spirit bomb for an additional 30 minutes, because I could not pry him away from the TV.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Iron Crowned posted:

When I was about 19, a friend of mine wanted me to help him pick out a computer. He was staying at his dad's house at the time, so I had to drive about 40 minutes to get there, and we were going to leave "in a few minutes." This lasted until he figured out that Dragonball Z was on, so I was stuck there watching Goku power up a spirit bomb for an additional 30 minutes, because I could not pry him away from the TV.

I'm sorry.. don't you mean 5 minutes? :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FFT posted:

i watch 10-20+ hours of youtube a week and haven't seen an ad that wasn't an in-video sponsored product placement in years

get an adblocker lmao
I'm spoiled by my adblocker on PC, because YouTube via the PS3 app is downright lousy with ads I can't do anything about. The difference was only thrown into greater relief after my free premium trial ran out. Hateful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FFT posted:

I don't even see those.

Jeza posted:

When I'm on desktop and someone links mobile wikipedia. poo poo irks me more than it should.

Other sites automatically shift to a desktop version, but not wikipedia.
Why does it even have a different url for the desktop and mobile versions? I know that can be done behind the scenes without directing you to a different url because other sites do it.

Same question for Amazon's different sites for different countries. Other online shops don't have that hassle. But if someone in the UK sends me an Amazon link, it's useless to me because I need the Australian site. Why is it set up that way?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Same question for Amazon's different sites for different countries. Other online shops don't have that hassle. But if someone in the UK sends me an Amazon link, it's useless to me because I need the Australian site. Why is it set up that way?

That's because different countries have different seller and product availability.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

neato, but Ragusea's recent Audible ad on his video about palm oil was actually relevant to the video for once so it's a land of contrasts

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sininu posted:

That's because different countries have different seller and product availability.

Yeah, but you don't need different urls for them. Other online shops handle that behind the scenes so you see the appropriate availability and pricing information for your country regardless of whether the person who sent you the link is in the same country as you or not.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I'm spoiled by my adblocker on PC, because YouTube via the PS3 app is downright lousy with ads I can't do anything about. The difference was only thrown into greater relief after my free premium trial ran out. Hateful.

I'm in the same boat; my PS3 is basically my "let's watch stuff" machine between Universal Media Server and the YouTube app (it also has a lot of really good video games :ssh:). The only time I ever see ads is the occasional before / during interruption on YT, and it's sort of jarring.

Are some channels seem worse for this than others? You mention YT being lousy with ads, and that seems to imply you're seeing way more than I.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Are some channels seem worse for this than others? You mention YT being lousy with ads, and that seems to imply you're seeing way more than I.

I've heard some people mention in videos that they could have put more ads in but didn't, so I assume it's up to the channel owner how many ads they want to allow in each video - although I believe there is some maximum number per minute (or whatever time period) so they don't have full control over it to just go nuts and show sixty ads in a five minute video.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, ads are bad enough that it does make me consider paying for premium, but then I always decide against it cos its like paying loving protection money.

If we have a boozy night in, it's fun to put on music videos on YouTube, but there are ads now between EVERY SONG, and even if you can skip them, it does kind of kill the buzz if you have to lunge for the remote every 3-5 minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

As a fellow music video night lover, I feel you there. We ended up getting a paid YouTube membership offered to us as a gift by a relative (my daughter would ERUPT in FURY if a commercial broke up Peppa Pig) and it's definitely "worth it" insofar as something like that I'd worth anything

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm in the same boat; my PS3 is basically my "let's watch stuff" machine between Universal Media Server and the YouTube app (it also has a lot of really good video games :ssh:). The only time I ever see ads is the occasional before / during interruption on YT, and it's sort of jarring.

I only see them before and during, too. I don't see much rhyme or reason to it; even within a given genre of video, be it LP or woodturning or whatever, some channels go whole hog on ads and others don't use any at all. It probably seems like a ton of ads on balance in part because I went for three months with none at all, which was only really noticeable on the PS3 since that's where we watch most of our YouTube (and my PC has an adblocker). It feels like very few of them are skippable these days, too, for the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

Actually, I seem to be getting ads on PC (Chrome) again, too, even with uBlock Origin. :/

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The Perfect Element posted:

If we have a boozy night in, it's fun to put on music videos on YouTube, but there are ads now between EVERY SONG, and even if you can skip them, it does kind of kill the buzz if you have to lunge for the remote every 3-5 minutes.

Check out the vevo channels on pluto.tv

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I keep getting ads like 10 seconds before the end of a video, which is dumb and annoying.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I don't get any adverts on YouTube, what the heck, people.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have youtube premium but I didn't order it and I'm not paying for it anywhere. I accidentally managed to get free youtube for infinity somewhere and I am baffled and confused by it. Even youtube customer service shrugged about it and said to enjoy it.

I feel like their entire business model is shrugging and hoping for the best.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Unkempt posted:

I don't get any adverts on YouTube, what the heck, people.

I have uBlock on my PC! But I mostly watch YouTube on my TV using my Nintendo Switch, so I can’t exactly use an adblocker there.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Butt Detective posted:

I keep getting ads like 10 seconds before the end of a video, which is dumb and annoying.

I think those are for videos that have a 10-20 second outro (a still with links to other videos, names of patrons, etc.), and putting the ads there catches the people who click out early to avoid the ads at the actual end of the video. So like you said: dumb and annoying. Eventually Youtube will crush itself under the weight of its own advertising.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

More USPS shenanigans: I was expecting a package today that would probably be a little too long for my mailbox, but lightweight. No problem, right? Just walk up the regular-length driveway to the short path leading to the porch and plonk that baby down, enjoying the beautiful weather along the way.

The mail truck came and went, but no package. Why not? Well:

That lying sonofabitch posted:

Delivery Attempt
Held at Post Office, At Customer Request
:mad: Apparently our good regular mail carrier (the one who holds back mail addressed to people who moved out 20+ years ago and brings all packages to our door along with any and all other mail) took an extra day off this weekend. Get your poo poo together! I have so little to look forward to! :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

More USPS shenanigans: I was expecting a package today that would probably be a little too long for my mailbox, but lightweight. No problem, right? Just walk up the regular-length driveway to the short path leading to the porch and plonk that baby down, enjoying the beautiful weather along the way.

The mail truck came and went, but no package. Why not? Well:
:mad: Apparently our good regular mail carrier (the one who holds back mail addressed to people who moved out 20+ years ago and brings all packages to our door along with any and all other mail) took an extra day off this weekend. Get your poo poo together! I have so little to look forward to! :argh:

I had a package that went "out for delivery" then later in the day became "delivered, picked up by customer at post office"

It showed up on my doorstep the next day.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a package that went "out for delivery" then later in the day became "delivered, picked up by customer at post office"

It showed up on my doorstep the next day.
They just make poo poo up when it's nearing the end of their shift or they don't want to make the effort to get out of the Jeep. Last time it was some bullshit about not being able to access the mailbox. If they're smart (big loving "if"), they'll use a different preset excuse every time (because "don't wanna" is not a selectable option). I look forward to seeing them all put into rotation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

They just make poo poo up when it's nearing the end of their shift or they don't want to make the effort to get out of the Jeep. Last time it was some bullshit about not being able to access the mailbox. If they're smart (big loving "if"), they'll use a different preset excuse every time (because "don't wanna" is not a selectable option). I look forward to seeing them all put into rotation.

I figured it got stuck behind the seat :shrug:

To be honest I think that was just the worst possible excuse because I was about ready to head 5 minutes down the street to start chewing someone out over such an oversight before deciding to give it 24 hours. Should have just used "big scary dog"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When you click on an image to expand it and it ends up popping up an even smaller version. Facebook messenger and sometimes google image search are the worst for this. I don't want to have to click on it to make it bigger and then ctrl+scroll to manually zoom.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I know that everyone hates autoplaying vids, but there's a new kid in town. Vids that prominently show a pause sign, like they won't play, but then start loving playing when you scroll down past them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a new one, as seen on this page: https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-8-million-empty-homes-103413523.html

A little video pops up in the lower right (but doesn't play, probably because I have uBlock and another extension that turns off autoplay). Click the X to close it and it goes away. But scroll even one wheelclick and the fucker pops up again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's sadly a non-issue since I moved to a place that doesn't have them, but I think Church's fried chicken is better than Popeyes.

And yes, it bugs me that Popeyes doesn't have a drat apostrophe in its name.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

It's sadly a non-issue since I moved to a place that doesn't have them, but I think Church's fried chicken is better than Popeyes.

And yes, it bugs me that Popeyes doesn't have a drat apostrophe in its name.

:hai:

Moving back to Texas has brought my extreme annoyance at luxury pickup trucks front and centre. All the worst and most stereotypical yeehaws drive an enormous white Ford with a bumper guard to make sure whoever they hit gets squished under the tires instead of rolling over the top*. And these ain't work trucks, these are the people who employ the people who drive work trucks, and their frat daddy kids. You see a beat-up muddy 1987 F150 loaded down with gear and hauling a trailer, they don't do Truck Guy poo poo because they are actually using it for poo poo that you need trucks for.

*like gently caress I personally knew three people who were pedestrian/cyclists who were killed by trucks at low speed and almost certainly would have survived with minor injuries if you replaced the big dick murdermobile with a loving kia soul.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have never visited a chicken restaurant that had all their poo poo together at the same time. Doesn't matter which one, they're all out of something and a fryer is going down and you can hear a line cook having a breakdown somewhere.

But Popeye's is so much better than Church's I have to wonder what's up where you're from.