Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ALRIGHT IM SOLD AGAIN this thread is draining my bank account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

ALRIGHT IM SOLD AGAIN this thread is draining my bank account

old thread title

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hell, I think the old thread title was literally about either the CMANO - or WITE? - price tags.

I do love Command, though. The complexity CAN be bananas, but Yooper's right, it's pretty dependent on the scenario. You can design Missions for your units to follow which really helps in big operations, but I like the submarine DLC in particular specifically because I don't remember if there's a scenario where you control more than like five subs max.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Squiggle posted:

Hell, I think the old thread title was literally about either the CMANO - or WITE? - price tags.

I do love Command, though. The complexity CAN be bananas, but Yooper's right, it's pretty dependent on the scenario. You can design Missions for your units to follow which really helps in big operations, but I like the submarine DLC in particular specifically because I don't remember if there's a scenario where you control more than like five subs max.

It was "I don't have $85, stop making me want this"

I have command 1, and really need to play some more of it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

The sub ones are beautiful for the focus, but frustrating when it's just "suddenly dead". The sonar model was just reworked too, some turbonerd sub dude popped into the Matrix forums with a bunch of feedback on sound channels that was really well received. Duelists is a good scenario, Under African Skies, and North Pacific Shootout. Brother Vs. Brother is a good one for learning the ropes with a small unit count and high unit variety.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Does anyone have any recommendations for an American Civil War game? I’ve been interested in trying to branch out past WW2 games. Anything from Grog-lite to almost qualifying for an advanced degree to read the rulebook (summer break starts today) is in my wheelhouse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Real Horse posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an American Civil War game? I’ve been interested in trying to branch out past WW2 games. Anything from Grog-lite to almost qualifying for an advanced degree to read the rulebook (summer break starts today) is in my wheelhouse.

Grog-lite is Ultimate General: Civil War (but it's still so so goddamn good)

Full grog is any of John Tiller's Civil War games. Plugging my old LP for this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874588

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Reading that LP again has inspired me to reinstall one of the John Tiller CW games, just like it inspired me to buy a few of them in the first place.

I am never as good at them as I think I will be. Your John Tiller LPs are so well done that they give me unearned confidence.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

A Real Horse posted:

Depends; are you looking for a strategic level game, or a tactical level game?

For tactical level games, people sing the praises of Ultimate General—but I hate it. This is mostly because I don’t think it’s balanced well, and lacks the kind of detail that Scourge of War, or even Take Command: Second Manassas.

I also dislike most srategic level American Civil War games, but that’s primarily because it is hard as hell to balance these given the on paper advantage the Union side has even in 1861.

In this category the game I have played the most is AGEOD’s Civil War II. If you are familiar with the AGEOD engine, you know it has weaknesses, but it certainly scratches the American Civil War strategic game itch I get from time-to-time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kvlt! posted:

Hows the complexity of Command? Naval and air combat interests me a lot more than land and the game looks so cool but also so complex and with that price tag its hard to justify. I wish it had a demo.

The best thing about Command is while the complexity is there, the game can handle the vast majority of it for you. Your effectiveness definitely increases with the more you come to understand but the basics of "designate mission, assign units to mission" are extremely intuitive.

I highly recommend Yankee Team, 1966 - simple Vietnam strike targets that pop up dynamically throughout the day, the briefing explains roughly how the Alpha Strike doctrine you're expected to follow works, and it very neatly demonstrates differing optempo throughout a 24hr period while only giving you command of the air wings of three carrier task groups while leaving literally everything else out of your control, including the carriers themselves.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

And a heads up that most of the scenarios mentioned aren't official ones - they're part of the community scenario pack, or their own downloads from the Steam workshop. Under African Skies and Yankee Team in particular are shockingly high quality.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Depends; are you looking for a strategic level game, or a tactical level game?

For tactical level games, people sing the praises of Ultimate General—but I hate it. This is mostly because I don’t think it’s balanced well, and lacks the kind of detail that Scourge of War, or even Take Command: Second Manassas.

I also dislike most srategic level American Civil War games, but that’s primarily because it is hard as hell to balance these given the on paper advantage the Union side has even in 1861.

In this category the game I have played the most is AGEOD’s Civil War II. If you are familiar with the AGEOD engine, you know it has weaknesses, but it certainly scratches the American Civil War strategic game itch I get from time-to-time.

I like Ultimate General but agree with you on its flaws and that generally it's really difficult to find a well balanced strategic ACW game. The benefit of hindsight means that unless you put some extreme inducements on the Union player to be recklessly aggressive and some pretty questionable tactical buffs to the Confederacy then the war only goes one way very quickly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

A Real Horse posted:

I loved this game to the bits back in the 90's, I wish there was a remake! I think it can be found at abandonware sites if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZJYx8_AC7Y

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Ultimate General: Civil War address the balance problem by allowing unit losses for the AI to persist instead of giving them massive bonuses if you won a battle by a lot? I know Ultimate Admiral their Age of Sail title has an option for this.

UG:CW Is really fantastic though, I enjoyed that game a lot.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nenonen posted:

I loved this game to the bits back in the 90's, I wish there was a remake! I think it can be found at abandonware sites if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZJYx8_AC7Y

I think Ultimate General is really a remake of this title. I too loved this game back in my early 20s. Yes, I am old.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

ZombieLenin posted:

I think Ultimate General is really a remake of this title. I too loved this game back in my early 20s. Yes, I am old.

My fond memories of CW battle-games are centered around that old SSI game, 1986's Gettysburg: The Turning Point.

I really enjoyed the Sid Meier one, and UG is awesome. John Tiller's games were more like the old SSI stuff, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

I think Ultimate General and Sid Meier's Gettysburg! are fascinating games to place side-by-side because they are superficially extremely similar, and yet one is constructed around the thesis that morale was the key component in any ACW battle, whereas the other thinks that fatigue is the crucial element, and the result is that they play exactly the same scenarios somewhat similarly but also quite differently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Squiggle posted:

Reading that LP again has inspired me to reinstall one of the John Tiller CW games, just like it inspired me to buy a few of them in the first place.

I am never as good at them as I think I will be. Your John Tiller LPs are so well done that they give me unearned confidence.

I'm glad you like it!

The thing that got me to really play JT's CW was reading about Pickett's Charge, and then going back to read about the Battle of Malvern Hill, and grasping the power of artillery. The visible-hexes tool in the CW interface lets you site your artillery precisely for maximum firepower, and I think you'll notice in the LP that a lot of the casualties come from there.

And then, the thing that got the game itself to "click" was reading through the manual and realizing that any unit that takes casualties does a morale check. Of course, things like stacking with a leader, high unit quality, fatigue levels, disruption, stacking with the same brigade, etc., all increase a unit's chance to pass a morale check, but it's basically playing the odds: as soon as an enemy unit takes casualties, then you're "done" with that unit - you should look at shooting someone else. If you spread around your fire to as many units as possible, then you're forcing all of them to make morale checks, and eventually one of them has got to break. You don't concentrate fire* on specific units or specific points in the line trying to cause a break where you want - you test the line along as many points as possible, and you seize upon wherever you get an opening.

___

* of course, there are situations where concentrating fire is necessary - if there's one particular unit that's well ahead of everyone else and has managed to avoid getting Disrupted all this time and is about to melee attack you, then yeah, focus your fire to inflict maximum casualties before they actually execute the charge, and the decision of when to break this rule is a key part of command.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SJ and P&S work on a similar rules as well iirc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I really want to like Sengoku Jidai/Pike & Shot but the square tiles... yikes!

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really want to like Sengoku Jidai/Pike & Shot but the square tiles... yikes!

Kinda necessary, as how would proper battlelines be dressed if they had to fingle with hexes.

BTW, is Field of Glory II: Medieval notably different from its ancient counterpart? Does it feel different to play and / or have different mechanics?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Has anyone bit the bullet on War in the East 2 yet? It seems pretty nice but... you know... the money

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

S w a y z e posted:

Has anyone bit the bullet on War in the East 2 yet? It seems pretty nice but... you know... the money

I wouldn't mind giving it a buy but I'm waiting for it to hit Steam because I don't want to deal with Matrix's storefront anymore

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

S w a y z e posted:

I've got it and played about half the Stalingrad to Berlin campaign. It's pretty smooth once you understand the systems and if you basically ignore the air war. It's pretty easy to start doing some slightly gamey tactics once you get the hang of the AI though - you can use the predictable way it retreats and doesn't do large scale counter attacks to push it around a lot.

Still a lot of fun though.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Banemaster posted:

Kinda necessary, as how would proper battlelines be dressed if they had to fingle with hexes.

BTW, is Field of Glory II: Medieval notably different from its ancient counterpart? Does it feel different to play and / or have different mechanics?

Field of Glory 2: Medieval is good and fun. I don't know how it compares to the ancient counterpart as I don't have it - but it compares positively to the older pike and shot games. The UI is much better, and the game offers historical battles, historical campaigns and custom battles and more importantly custom campaigns, in which you can make up a conflict and take your troops through it. The game mechanics also feel "clearer" - and you can enable small combat reports (although there is still dice rolling etc).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been out of the Grog scene for the last year or so, are there still no decent Napoleonic games outside of the JTS stuff?

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Banemaster posted:

It's not that different, but fighting in the Medieval era does "feel different" depending on how you define the phrase. There are a handful of new mechanics but the core of the game is largely the same.

The differences are the historical differences between the armies. Do you think that the expansions to FoGII: Ancients felt different from one another, due to how differently the armies themselves played? If yes, you'll get good value out of Medieval. If not, it probably won't feel different enough to you to make it worth it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The 3MA on FOG Mediaeval was pretty negative. Said it had very static frontlines that dragged out battles.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I know it's relatively grog-lite but I have tried so many times to get into Wargame/Steel Division and something about the infantry in both just feels completely off. A squad of guys ends up feeling like a slow vehicle.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

V for Vegas posted:

The 3MA on FOG Mediaeval was pretty negative. Said it had very static frontlines that dragged out battles.

I think the 3MA people very much are total war players and anything that doesn't have the wild cavalry cycling and such just won't appeal to people like that.

That being said, all the FOG2-engine games do have a sense that once you get stuck in, you're stuck in. Much of the game is trying to manage exactly how that happens and what you do with reserves.

(the fun thing about the FOG2 dark age armies is that you can absolutely slam the lancer cav into period infantry and win drawn out combats, whereas this isn't really feasible with anything other than cataphracts in the other periods)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I bought FOG:E what's the recommended mod for improving the battle exporter?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So in War on the sea, uh, do the Japanese ever get more ships once you've basically sunk all but the odd destroyer? According to the id book i've sunk everything but one or two destroyer or subs. Is the game basically over? I'd of preferred it was ahistorical in this regard tbh

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Feeling nostalgic lately. Anyone play WWIIOL back in the day? I sometimes think about playing it again but that sub price is too much - affordable but between the other games I also play it just doesn't seem worth it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Flying in WWIIOL is still the most intense experience I've ever had playing a game. Sweating, hands shaking so bad I can't line up a shot, my dude passing out from the g's in his flying brick of a 110. It was good times. Janky, janky good times.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

So in War on the sea, uh, do the Japanese ever get more ships once you've basically sunk all but the odd destroyer? According to the id book i've sunk everything but one or two destroyer or subs. Is the game basically over? I'd of preferred it was ahistorical in this regard tbh

Nope that's basically the end of the campaign unless you wanna take the objectives which can take awhile well you wait for more troops/supplies to arrive at New Hebrides.

If you start a new campaign I believe they've changed a number of things such as the campaign now results in a win if you sink 100 enemy ships and I think they increased the amount of troops/supplies you get each week.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Flying in WWIIOL is still the most intense experience I've ever had playing a game. Sweating, hands shaking so bad I can't line up a shot, my dude passing out from the g's in his flying brick of a 110. It was good times. Janky, janky good times.

Pickup Il2-BoS for :10bux: when its on sale

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Abongination posted:

Pickup Il2-1946 for :10bux: when its on sale

:pilot:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Anyone after a birthday voucher for matrix/slitherine? 38% discount, 15 days left (maybe stackable) and I dont really have anything I particularly want right now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ashmole posted:

Feeling nostalgic lately. Anyone play WWIIOL back in the day? I sometimes think about playing it again but that sub price is too much - affordable but between the other games I also play it just doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah. I was with a good squad, we had training exercises that were actually fun (instructor spawns a tank in the middle of a field, students spawn engineers and whoever gets closest without being spotted wins), and good coordination with our side's high command. Big-map FPS games like Post Scriptum come close to that gameplay cycle, but a game extending over weeks is still to be found nowhere else.

Highlights:
Sniping at an FB with pistols, accuracy is lousy but they were impossible to localize with sound at 100m.
Setting up a range card for an 88 and wrecking allied tank columns
Multi-crewed tanks versus single-crewed tanks, you feel like such a God.
Possibly my favorite MP kill of all time. I'm on defense for a town, watching out for scouts coming from the enemy FB. I spot one about 500 yards away, just jogging across a field. He gets up to a hedgerow overlooking town, flops down, and had just pulled out his binoculars when I headshot him. I've been on the other side of running cross country for 15 or 20 minutes just to be insta-killed, so I know exactly how much that sucked to experience. It was the perfect timing of just pulling out binocs when he died that makes it sweet.

B+++ 8/10 would not likely play again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saros posted:

Anyone after a birthday voucher for matrix/slitherine? 38% discount, 15 days left (maybe stackable) and I dont really have anything I particularly want right now.

id be interested. how much?