Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Wait where else has there been "chipmunk woe", cause it being something in multiple threads sounds hella cursed

Some bad stuff has been posted and defended and many a permaban had been commissioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*reading posts in qcs threads in chipmunk voices

it all makes a strange kind of sense now

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You can do whatever you want in life.

Being in trouble is a fake idea.

Those are good phrases that still work in voice, but *gestures to the Achewood Test cartoon*

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Most of Achewood sounds fine, only as words. You start turning alot of those phrases into voices, they become cringe.

Yeah. You can read this stuff because you can read pretty quickly and the reading comprehension is easy, but said out loud a lot of the individual sentences are just groaningly overengineered. It's not a bad thing (except in the later years), it just means if you were going to adapt Achewood for a spoken word or animated context you'd rewrite it a bunch. A lot of what is expressed in word choice would be expressed in actor performance and (animated) visuals instead.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

Yeah. You can read this stuff because you can read pretty quickly and the reading comprehension is easy, but said out loud a lot of the individual sentences are just groaningly overengineered. It's not a bad thing (except in the later years), it just means if you were going to adapt Achewood for a spoken word or animated context you'd rewrite it a bunch. A lot of what is expressed in word choice would be expressed in actor performance and (animated) visuals instead.
Agreed, like in

The pronunciation of Dâvidè is there for the reader, but from Téodor's perspective Ray is just repeating himself.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pentaro posted:

Agreed, like in

The pronunciation of Dâvidè is there for the reader, but from Téodor's perspective Ray is just repeating himself.

True, but in this specific case both Teodor and Ray are stoned. I feel like a good line read could make the repetition work.

R: Dâvidè
T: yeah
R: like... Dâvidè

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

True, but in this specific case both Teodor and Ray are stoned. I feel like a good line read could make the repetition work.

R: Dâvidè
R: like... Dâvidè

Yeah I was going to say it makes sense to be repeating it when they're both high

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Doom Mathematic posted:

It might work much better if it leaned into uncanny sparseness. The constant weird turns of phrase need some breathing room.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It can work. Remember when everyone was all "hey I don't like Joss Whedonesque dialogue" and then much like "fetch," it happened, and happened hard and it never stopped happening and is everywhere now and you don't even notice it unless you're a crusty old?

Same kind of thing. Let's get in on this on the ground floor, baby!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Do y’all not remember the Achewood cartoon test that had leaked out?

Not saying it can’t happen, but you’d really have to have the perfect person to make a lot of that dialogue work.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do y’all not remember the Achewood cartoon test that had leaked out?

Not saying it can’t happen, but you’d really have to have the perfect person to make a lot of that dialogue work.

The problem with that test is that they chose the exact wrong parts of Achewood to showcase, what they showed off was too subdued, should have chosen some of their more wild stuff like the Great Outdoor Fight or something

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Didn't they do the scene where beef pretends to give birth for philippe's birthday? That was.... an odd choice for a first pitch.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Javid posted:

Didn't they do the scene where beef pretends to give birth for philippe's birthday? That was.... an odd choice for a first pitch.

They did basically everything wrong that one can with that pitch reel

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Javid posted:

The one where Todd doesnn't do cocaine would've been better, if still an odd choice for a pitch reel.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

They did basically everything wrong that one can with that pitch reel

They had no chops on that machine

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It made me wonder if it was a Producers type thing. How do you get Toby Huss to voice Ray and gently caress it up?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
getting human beings to speak achewood aloud in the real world and not sound super awkward at least half the time is like probably the most sisyphean thing I can imagine

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

getting human beings to speak achewood aloud in the real world and not sound super awkward at least half the time is like probably the most sisyphean thing I can imagine

Onstad voicing Beef is like the punchline to all the things the thread just said

(I thought he was pretty decent tbh but if anyone would be it'd be the guy with Roast Beef living in his head)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Achewood works best in short phrases in the real world. Being in trouble is a fake idea; I am not afraid of the police; and so on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

Achewood works best in short phrases in the real world. Being in trouble is a fake idea; I am not afraid of the police; and so on.

yeah. and like Achewood fans are notorious (myself included) for adopting passages as in-jokes between buds. (you say poo poo like “hell of wispy dogg, a spider covets” to make fun of a dude’s beard, etc)

I promise you, those are only funny because you both read Achewood and you both know that particular strip

to any stranger to Achewood you sound loving crazy speaking your weird pidgin english

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Achewood’s language 100% works on the page and 100% falls apart when reproduced by meat flaps

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know that I buy that. That canadian gas station show won awards and most of it's humor is in its lexicon and how its characters speak.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it mostly comes down to delivery, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6AtHXJ9dg

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think strange overwrought dialogue can work when spoken aloud, but the pitch was just really flat. It had the energy of two people standing up on a stage reciting lines at each other to an empty theater.
I don't know enough about performing or putting a show together to really describe how and why it felt that way, but I've enjoyed plenty of shows where characters just talk at each other in their own weird vernacular, and they never felt that awkward,. I don't think Achewood's writing is specifically the reason for it, there was just something significant missing from the delivery and presentation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

it mostly comes down to delivery, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6AtHXJ9dg

That and being a tv show so you're not getting interrupted while you're chirpin

(I don't hope to fight anyone in the near future, but if I do have to, I hope I have the presence of mind to tell the other guy he's a cup of baby carrots first)

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It might just simply be that the original dialogue was written to be read instead of performed, and adapting it 1:1 just doesn't work for that reason. That's why even Toby Huss sounded like he was just reading a script. You'd want to approach writing a cartoon differently to how you'd approach writing a comic, and I still think it could work while keeping that distinctive Achewood style.

Libra fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 1, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Honestly even if I absolutely love Toby Huss that performance was terrible. He sounded like Burl Ives' snowman character from the old Rankin-Bass stop motion Christmas stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Not really the kind of voice I picture Ray having anyways, he feels more like a John DiMaggio kind of role than a Toby Huss one

Meanwhile Todd would be perfect voiced by whoever does the Rambling Rabbit character for Bray Wyatt's Firefly Fun House segments over on WWE(come to think about it Bray would be a pretty good choice for Nice Pete actually...)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I think I've said this before in this thread, but (a) I love Toby Huss and he was, at least in that performance, perfectly wrong for Ray, and (b) Eric Andre would be really good as Ray (see for example, his performance in Man Seeking Woman).

Toby Huss doing his patriarchal pissed-off Texan voice could have been a good Ramses, for sure.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought he was pretty okay as Ray, but not great. That said, "the hell that man gonna suffer. He's my best friend!" and "I got no problem with taking power back there" were fantastic line reads that stick in my head to this day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
so was it ever fully confirmed/debunked?

did suckin’ dick pay for Todd’s van?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Daktar posted:

Yesssss, thank you! The hyphens in house-and-paycheck must have thrown ohnorobot off. 'Two wet bolsheviks mating in a thrift store' is a celebration of the english language.
Totally by accident, while looking for a gently caress You Friday cartoon to use as a birthday party invitation, I found that you might be thinking of this one too.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09122008

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think I've said this before in this thread, but (a) I love Toby Huss and he was, at least in that performance, perfectly wrong for Ray, and (b) Eric Andre would be really good as Ray (see for example, his performance in Man Seeking Woman).

Toby Huss doing his patriarchal pissed-off Texan voice could have been a good Ramses, for sure.
The fact that he sounded vaguely Cajun seemed to fit what we know of Ray so far, but did not Occur to me independently.

That guy who played Beef, though, whoof, I hope that guy got out of the business

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

so was it ever fully confirmed/debunked?

did suckin’ dick pay for Todd’s van?
Didn't you see the origin story of Todd? he strangled a goose and its corpse turned into the van.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hello Achewood thread, I've been working off and on in my spare time to write an iOS app to read Achewood on my phone. I've gotten it to a state where I'm pretty happy using it, so I figured I'd start putting it out there for testing to see how it works for other people. I'm sure it's got a lot of bugs still, and I haven't tried using it on iPads at all so I'm sure that's terrible, but at any rate getting it into other people's hands seems like the logical next step to making something usable.

Here's a Testflight link (it'll prompt you to install Testflight if you haven't) to install the app: https://testflight.apple.com/join/P6cGxJXI
Source code is here if you want to check it or (better still) contribute: https://github.com/ericpickett/AchewoodReader

This is the first time I've ever messed with Testflight, so I don't know what crash reports are going to look like, or what options it gives you for reporting bugs or whatever, but feel free to PM me or post an issue on the github page if you find any problems or have any suggestions.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
This is pretty cool, please don’t ransomware my phone

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tarranon posted:

VISIT GOLDEN PALACE DOT COM FOR ALL YOUR GAMING NEEDS AND FLY ON SIR RICHARD BRANSON'S AIRLINE WHENEVER TIME PERMITS

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tarranon posted:

This is pretty cool, please don’t ransomware my phone

To reiterate, this is still going through the official Apple review process same as if it was on the App Store, also the code is right there if anyone wants to take a look at it. It's completely safe, so please if you've got an iOS device give it a shot so I can try and improve it.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i already had testflight and found it really simple to install and start browsing beloved strips, will report back if anything crazy happens :cheerdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Need someone to make an Android app now too