Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

PT6A posted:

As much as I think it's important to actually find the bodies of these victims, I can't shake the feeling that some people are focusing on the wrong aspect of this. This wasn't a mystery, we knew children were being neglected, abused and killed because survivors told us. The discovery of mass graves that resulted from this is outrageous, and it's a sad reminder of what went on, but it shouldn't be a surprise unless you a) didn't believe the stories or b) imagined that all the bodies of the victims simply vanished into non-existence.

These children were dead long before the graves were found, and we knew they were dead because someone killed them, someone buried them, and a bunch of other children knew, and watched, and remembered even if they couldn't do anything about it. They told their stories, those stories have been documented, and the shock at the discovery of these graves has a distinct whiff of "oh my god, I didn't think they were telling the whole truth!"

This is true. It was heartbreaking to hear about the discovery, but I was not the least bit shocked or surprised. It just confirmed what I already believed from the stories that were told. The people acting like this is some unexpected shocker are really telling on themselves, tbh. They'll hide behind the usual excuses of "Well I don't judge without evidence" and so on, but that's just telling me they thought it was all made up before, or the abuse wasn't as bad as the survivors claimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving heads on pikes - pay back $20K - gently caress OFF YOU BASTARD. :lol:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PT6A posted:

As much as I think it's important to actually find the bodies of these victims, I can't shake the feeling that some people are focusing on the wrong aspect of this. This wasn't a mystery, we knew children were being neglected, abused and killed because survivors told us. The discovery of mass graves that resulted from this is outrageous, and it's a sad reminder of what went on, but it shouldn't be a surprise unless you a) didn't believe the stories or b) imagined that all the bodies of the victims simply vanished into non-existence.

These children were dead long before the graves were found, and we knew they were dead because someone killed them, someone buried them, and a bunch of other children knew, and watched, and remembered even if they couldn't do anything about it. They told their stories, those stories have been documented, and the shock at the discovery of these graves has a distinct whiff of "oh my god, I didn't think they were telling the whole truth!"

The fact of the bodies isn't or shouldn't be particularly surprising, we know what was going on. But there's a combination of ugly things going on the Canadian pysche when it comes to residential schools:
- The white public has generally assimilated that the schools were "bad" but haven't really confronted how bad. By and large, we haven't believed the stories native survivors told, or we assumed the worst stories were hyperbole. I think a lot of people think of the residential schools as being basically just strict boarding schools. If pressed they'll acknowledge that there was particular racist cultural supression going on by punishing kids for speaking their own languague and things like that, but most people's mental image is of traditional victorian boarding school or something. For decades survivors have been saying that a lot of kids just didn't come back from those schools and the full scope of that claim and its implications was not believed or was ignored by the general public.
- There is still very much an attitude among a lot of people of "well, sure, we mistreated them, but before we came along they were living in the woods like savages and probably had a good chance of dying young anyway so we basically did them a favour".
- The residential schools are thought of as being "something that happened in ye olde past times" in the general Canadian consciousness despite the fact that the last ones only closed in the loving 1990s.
- None of this was even mentioned in Canadian elementary / high school history classes until shockingly recently. I certainly heard nothing about it in the late '90s.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MA-Horus posted:

It was just stories before. Stories are much easier to ignore than the bones of potentially thousands of children.

this isn't true at all. there's over 4000 documented deaths in residential schools: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-names-of-2800-children-who-died-in-residential-schools-documented-in/

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Entropic posted:

The fact of the bodies isn't or shouldn't be particularly surprising, we know what was going on. But there's a combination of ugly things going on the Canadian pysche when it comes to residential schools:
- The white public has generally assimilated that the schools were "bad" but haven't really confronted how bad. By and large, we haven't believed the stories native survivors told, or we assumed the worst stories were hyperbole. I think a lot of people think of the residential schools as being basically just strict boarding schools. If pressed they'll acknowledge that there was particular racist cultural supression going on by punishing kids for speaking their own languague and things like that, but most people's mental image is of traditional victorian boarding school or something. For decades survivors have been saying that a lot of kids just didn't come back from those schools and the full scope of that claim and its implications was not believed or was ignored by the general public.
- There is still very much an attitude among a lot of people of "well, sure, we mistreated them, but before we came along they were living in the woods like savages and probably had a good chance of dying young anyway so we basically did them a favour".
- The residential schools are thought of as being "something that happened in ye olde past times" in the general Canadian consciousness despite the fact that the last ones only closed in the loving 1990s.
- None of this was even mentioned in Canadian elementary / high school history classes until shockingly recently. I certainly heard nothing about it in the late '90s.

I mean O'Toole was talking about "Hey, they were just trying to teach these kids English and Math and it got out of hand" earlier this year, or late last year or something, wasn't he?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

It was just stories before. Stories are much easier to ignore than the bones of potentially thousands of children.

Check all the schools. Find all the bones. Give them an honorable burial. And create a national day of loving shame. Make sure it's known we are no better than king Leopold or any of the other colonial monsters.

The national mythos of the "nice" Canadian should be buried with those kids.

The stories told of the bones of actually hundreds of children, and nobody cared then

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

The stories told of the bones of actually hundreds of children, and nobody cared then

And the stories told of more who died trying to escape, ended up in lakes, were incinerated, etc. We have no reason to believe those stories are anything less than truth, and honestly we never did. When a bunch of people all tell very similar stories independently and for a long time, and they match up with what we know, it's loving ignorant to say "ah, well, you know.... I'd like to believe you, but there's really no proof."

I'd also like to bring up another aspect of the discussion that's really pissing me off: "they never taught us this in school."

That's probably true depending on where and when you went to school. And that should absolutely be changed, no question. But, again, these folks are telling on themselves. It's not like the stories weren't being told, it's not like the TRC wasn't covered when it was going on, and you're basically saying "they didn't spoonfeed this information to me as a captive audience, therefore I have no expectation of knowing it, because I have all the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber."

Do people graduate school and say to themselves, "right, well, that's over. Time to stop learning new things!" or something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

loving heads on pikes - pay back $20K - gently caress OFF YOU BASTARD. :lol:

What's this about?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Do people graduate school and say to themselves, "right, well, that's over. Time to stop learning new things!" or something?

Most do yes, why do you think we are where we are socially?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's this about?

Pallister wants retroactive wage rollbacks for nurses for the past four years and the average payback would be $20k.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

He'd have to be a drat lunatic to even mention something like that right now

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Pallister wants retroactive wage rollbacks for nurses for the past four years and the average payback would be $20k.

Wow that's absolutely vile!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

It's not like the stories weren't being told, it's not like the TRC wasn't covered when it was going on, and you're basically saying "they didn't spoonfeed this information to me as a captive audience, therefore I have no expectation of knowing it, because I have all the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber."

Just lol if you seriously think a seventeen-year-old wants to independently learn more than they absolutley must to "earn" the obligatory degree and find a job to buy all the poo poo they currently think they want. I was a full-bore STEM kid, if it wasn't on a screen or didn't need a calculator I didn't give a poo poo.

The last residential school was still open when I graduated. The topic was absolutely not being discussed, and like all such topics, the gaps in our knowledge were filled in by "Well-Known-Facts". Those facts were cobbled together from complete ignorance and rather a lot of racist anecdata, and well, here we are.

e: grammers

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 31, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

Check all the schools. Find all the bones. Give them an honorable burial. And create a national day of loving shame. Make sure it's known we are no better than king Leopold or any of the other colonial monsters.

The national mythos of the "nice" Canadian should be buried with those kids.

Yeah 100% agreed with this.

It's one thing I hate when I tell people in the states that I'm a dual citizen and most of my family is Canadian, "Oh that's so cool! You guys are all so nice and it's not nearly as racist or insane there as it is here!" I loving wish.

Try holding that opinion the second any kind of native issue comes up around a bunch of white Canadians. Bonus, go to Halifax or Toronto and tell black Canadians there that they don't deal with nearly as much racism as we do in the states. We'll see how that myth holds up then. I'm not bitter, I just hate the stereotype as well. Lotta things I love about Canada but the myth that everyone is super nice and not problematic at all loving sucks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

He'd have to be a drat lunatic to even mention something like that right now

PT6A posted:

Wow that's absolutely vile!

Thaaaaat's Pallister! Just when you think he hadn't shat on healthcare workers enough, he finds a new way!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Not that I have any trouble believing this about Pallister, but is there a link to a source for it? I'm not finding anything via Google search or the CBC MB site.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

No, most people don't learn things even then

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

I think this is broadly accurate. White Canadians think of residential schools as strict boarding schools where children occasionally died. You don't have to look very far for this, that's the crux of what Sassafrass said in a particularly callous way a few pages ago. If white Canadians acknowledge it as genocide at all, they acknowledge it as cultural genocide that tried to eradicate indigenous culture, not as physical genocide that murdered countless children. This kind of news, the physical remains of dead children in numbers people previously didn't realize, is the only kind of thing that breaks through that cozy feeling of "well we did something bad but it wasn't that bad, really".

I did some back-of-the-napkin math the other day and figured that if we extrapolated from the 4x difference between the number of bodies identified in these unmarked graves (over 200) and the official count of deaths at this one residential school (around 50) to the current estimates for deaths at residential schools, the extrapolated estimate might land somewhere around 15,000 deaths overall, for a residential school system that housed 150,000 children over the course of its existence, which would mean 1 in 10 children who went to residential schools died there. People knew all along that this was happening and didn't care, because of a deeply-ingrained racist, white supremacist ideology that remains very strong in much of the Canadian population.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 31, 2021

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I've learned nothing in grad school, not sure if that's my fault or not

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Tippecanoe posted:

I've learned nothing in grad school, not sure if that's my fault or not

did you do a second postgrad?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Willatron posted:

Not that I have any trouble believing this about Pallister, but is there a link to a source for it? I'm not finding anything via Google search or the CBC MB site.

I had just seen other people in this thread mention it, and it is speculation. I have seen Twitter references to a wage freeze but nothing about paybacks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I'd also like to bring up another aspect of the discussion that's really pissing me off: "they never taught us this in school."

That's probably true depending on where and when you went to school. And that should absolutely be changed, no question. But, again, these folks are telling on themselves. It's not like the stories weren't being told, it's not like the TRC wasn't covered when it was going on, and you're basically saying "they didn't spoonfeed this information to me as a captive audience, therefore I have no expectation of knowing it, because I have all the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber."

People tend to choose to be ignorant about subjects that make them uncomfortable, like most people are not going to willingly seek out uncomfortable topics. There are countless things in our everyday lives we choose to be ignorant about for our own "sanity." Examples range from things we ingest that are bad for us, to basically all the unethical and inhumane poo poo that goes into making our meat, and probably just every consumer good we buy.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
My favourite line from boomer relatives re: residential schools has got to be "there was a big thing in the news about it back in the 90s and it was all over the place. It was dealt with, so natives can just stop complaining about it already."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To boomers the 60s Scoop is just some weird Baskin Robbins ice cream flavour.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

During the Oka crisis, I lived close enough to Kanhawake that the Surete de Quebec came to our door to warn is that the Mohawks had mortars and sniper rifles aimed at our neighborhood. We should keep our blinds closed and be aware of the danger.

My boomer dad politely sent them on their way, then closed the door, turned to me and told me not to believe any of that. That was the day I learned not to trust the police. #notAllBoomers

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

I think this is part of it, but I also think Canada has done a pretty good job of downplaying what the country did to Indigenous people, and also that Indigenous people even exist now. Seriously. I graduated from HS in Ontario in the mid-2000s and the way indigenous history and culture was taught (if at all) was as if it were something in the past that no longer really existed. Residential schools were not part fo the Ontario curriculum.

I left HS with a very detailed understanding of Canadian civics and government, and basically no idea of the immense scale and nature of what Canada had done to indigenous people. It was so not present in my education that it wasn't even something I knew to look for. And because it wasn't part of my education, it didn't feel like a priority when it would be in the news and I was deciding what to spend my time learning about. Obviously I don't feel that way now.

I don't think you can blame people for not knowing or not taking the time to learn when many of our core societal institutions, especially in Ontario, basically tried to memory-hole indigenous people and indigenous history. I especially don't think you can blame people when so many are living pay-check to pay-check and just trying to get by.

I really think our education system failed us, not individual teachers but the systems themselves, and the way in which curricula are designed.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 31, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

None of this stuff was ever taught.

This quote is coming up again and maybe something can be done:

quote:

Bishop Grandin on residential schools in 1875: "We instil in them a pronounced distaste for the native life so that they will be humiliated when reminded of their origins. When they graduate from out institutions, the children have lost everything Native except their blood."

We named a goddamn road after this vile piece of poo poo. It's time to rip this poo poo down.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
this has flared up locally, it's ridiculous.

London principal removed from position after backlash over wearing student’s dreadlocks
https://globalnews.ca/news/7905066/london-ont-principal-removed-wearing-dreadlocks

Luc Chartrand, Principal of l'École Secondaire Catholique Monseigneur-Bruyère in London Ont.
pictured wearing a black student's dreadlocks as a halloween costume seven months after they were cut
off at a cancer fundraiser.

global posted:

The post from BLM London said Chartrand was asked to stop by several students and did not.

Six months later, a former student said Chartrand then showed up to school dressed as the student for Halloween, wearing the student’s hair.

“It’s very odd and racially weird and insensitive,” said a former student who says they witnessed the event and spoke to Global News anonymously.

The former student said most people were “grossed out” by the incident or found it “weird.”

[..]

The former student said the hair incident was just one of several cases of racism towards people of colour at the school.

In June 2020, the former student said they and several other students collected a list of racism and micro-aggressions towards people of colour at the school by staff and students. The former student says the list was sent to the school board, calling for accountability and workshops for staff to understand what they can and can’t say and have anti-racism policies hung up in the school.

One student reported being called a cotton picker by a classmate.

The former student said when they read books with the N-word, white teachers would often say the word despite several students asking them not to use it.

of course all the people on the local reddit were like oh poor guy he's obviously not racist why fire a nice man over unnecessary political correctness, etc. one such had this gem:

a racist posted:

I can't comment on this situation and I don't think we have all the facts to make any comments. I agree he should lose his job because of racism, but is he racist?

A co-worker of mine went to a party black faced. Sounds very racist if that's all you saw and don't know him. I know him, he doesn't have a racist bone in his body. He was actually dressed up as Tiger Woods and his love of Tiger Woods is almost an obsession. It's other people's perception that would make him evil. His actions and ideas are the opposite of hate. He just loves Tiger Woods.

someone (who is rich enough to buy a house in a "nice" neighbourhood, then buy a second one in a different nice neighbourhood while keeping the first house to rent out, and has consistently complained about people ruining the "atmosphere" of the first neighbourhood) replied with:

another loving racist posted:

Exactly - I miss the days when we looked at intent not labels.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... wait, what was that about him wearing a student's hair?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

... wait, what was that about him wearing a student's hair?

they had a fundraiser for a student with cancer, and a bunch of people cut off their hair to raise money and show support. the principal put on a black kid's dreads as a wig and despite being asked by several students to stop, he never bothered.

then, apparently, he saved the hair at home and six months later, wore it as a wig with tape and dressed as that student for halloween at the school

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What I meant by "just stories" before was that there was nothing tangible. Nothing physical to remind people with. Some people cannot comprehend until they have something to see with their own eyes. One of the reasons the Verdun ossuary is so powerful.

If it wasn't hugely disrespectful to those children, put them in an ossuary where that idiotic victims of communism memorial is supposed to go. Make it a huge, screaming banner saying WE DID THIS, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

mediaphage posted:

London principal removed from position after backlash over wearing student’s dreadlocks
https://globalnews.ca/news/7905066/london-ont-principal-removed-wearing-dreadlocks

Luc Chartrand, Principal of l'École Secondaire Catholique Monseigneur-Bruyère in London Ont.
pictured wearing a black student's dreadlocks as a halloween costume seven months after they were cut
off at a cancer fundraiser.

of course all the people on the local reddit were like oh poor guy he's obviously not racist why fire a nice man over unnecessary political correctness, etc. one such had this gem:
someone (who is rich enough to buy a house in a "nice" neighbourhood, then buy a second one in a different nice neighbourhood while keeping the first house to rent out, and has consistently complained about people ruining the "atmosphere" of the first neighbourhood) replied with:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, we re-elected a Prime Minister after it was discovered he was a serial black/brown facer.

But still.... that's one hell of a story.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

What I meant by "just stories" before was that there was nothing tangible. Nothing physical to remind people with. Some people cannot comprehend until they have something to see with their own eyes. One of the reasons the Verdun ossuary is so powerful.

If it wasn't hugely disrespectful to those children, put them in an ossuary where that idiotic victims of communism memorial is supposed to go. Make it a huge, screaming banner saying WE DID THIS, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

I mean, the uh, living breathing human beings who survived the schools to tell those stories are pretty fuckin' tangible.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I've worked for some terrible admin in my time but holy poo poo

Are those folks trying to ignore the obvious racism also giving a pass on the incredible creepiness of *saving a student's hair for a costume*?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

Are those folks trying to ignore the obvious racism also giving a pass on the incredible creepiness of *saving a student's hair for a costume*?

i know it keeps blowing my mind that the principal thought this was a good idea

it's obviously racist. of course. but beyond that what the gently caress what teacher or administrator would ever think this is a good idea???

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Also disrespectful to the living relatives of those children

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

mediaphage posted:

i know it keeps blowing my mind that the principal thought this was a good idea

it's obviously racist. of course. but beyond that what the gently caress what teacher or administrator would ever think this is a good idea???

Yeah like, the blatant racism is the worst part and is REALLY bad, but even without that.... it's freaking super weird and so many levels not ok to wear a student's hair as a wig without their permission.

I can't even imagine how weird it would be to ask permission for that.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 31, 2021

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tochiazuma posted:

Yeah the double whammy of racism and just loving creepy as poo poo, it's quite a combo.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah like, the blatant racism is the worst part and is REALLY bad, but even without that.... it's freaking super weird and so many levels not ok to wear a student's hair as a wig without their permission.

I can't even imagine how weird it would be to ask permission for that.

It's freaking wierd to wear *anybody's* hair as a wig without their permission.

Since the pandemic started, I've been cutting my partner's hair. If I somehow kept that hair and wore it as a wig, I think they would break-up with me on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Another Bill posted:

During the Oka crisis, I lived close enough to Kanhawake that the Surete de Quebec came to our door to warn is that the Mohawks had mortars and sniper rifles aimed at our neighborhood. We should keep our blinds closed and be aware of the danger.

My boomer dad politely sent them on their way, then closed the door, turned to me and told me not to believe any of that. That was the day I learned not to trust the police. #notAllBoomers

Speaking of Oka!

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1399441640625000454

What in the gently caress is wrong with this psycho in charge of this posting.