Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Hyper-V is embarrassingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Azure provision on H-V under the hood or is it running some other hypervisor?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's Hyper-V.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft is working on using linux on as the root partition for hyper-v https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/17/linux_as_root_partition_on_hyper_v/. Eventually Azure will be running linux on bare metal like every other cloud provider.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Perplx posted:

Microsoft is working on using linux on as the root partition for hyper-v https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/17/linux_as_root_partition_on_hyper_v/. Eventually Azure will be running linux on bare metal like every other cloud provider.
Stripped-down bare-metal hypervisor, you say?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xen and Bhyve spotted.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
This might be too noobish for this thread, but here goes:
Does anyone know of some architectural/system diagrams for virtualization technologies that would help classify some of these things in my mind?

Like, I’m running RHEL8, and have KVM installed for my hypervisor. I assume it’s using qemu to emulate some different machine hardware. I’m using cockpit to manage most of it, which is the web front end for a bunch of command line tools and other tools like virsh, virtio, virt-manager (another ui), which are all part of libvirt…?

Other hypervisors are included in different platforms that may include their own tools: Xen… virtualbox, VMware…

Where does proxmox fit into all of this? Can I use qemu with xen? How about VMware? Will Virt-manager administer VirtualBox VMs?

Am I missing any features by choosing kvm over xen? Or proxmox?

These are just example questions… I’m mainly asking if there are any good articles, resources or diagrams that lay them all out so I can better answer them myself and understand the trade-offs and what’s compatible/competitor.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

e.pilot posted:

Is there a good way to back up proxmox? been using it for about 6 months now and would like to do something just in case.

It has a built in snapshot feature that you can send to a Nas and have that cloud upload

Edit: and by send I mean save to the nas

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know anything about Promox, but I was looking at it when it was mentioned earlier and it seems like they have a backup server as well.

https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-backup-server

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

The backup server is probably overkill for homelab but it can dump backups to any NFS share for example. The latest versions also do a nice staggered retention scheme thing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I may or may not have already asked this, I don't recall, but is there a general containerization or kube megathread for questions or is this it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a couple of cloud/devops threads in the cavern of cobol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For whatever reason I didn't think to check in the scary programming place. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just want to say that I love vagrant so much. I know containers are the new hotness but when I have to test our Ansible deployments and I can get a full VM up and running in a few minutes it rules.

Spent today messing with triggers and I now get a RHEL box up and running and registered on first up and it removes itself when I destroy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't tell if this is really basic and I'm missing something, or if there's something complicated I just don't understand, but I'm trying to create a few VLANs for different LAB networks in vSphere and use VyOS to route between them all. If I were doing this physically I'd plug everything into one switch, tag the switchports with VLANs and have VyOS with a trunk uplink and sub-VIF interfaces for each VLAN. For the life of me I can't gather how to accomplish the trunk to a single VyOS VM.

I have a vSwitch and it has a number of networks attached to it, each with a different VLAN, but then when I set up VyOS VM I have to choose an actual network for each NIC, I can't just say form a trunk and I'll take care of the network routing myself.

I feel like five years ago I would have known how to do this with my eyes closed and now I'm not even sure what to google :|

e: Oh wait, do I just create a port group on that vSwitch with VLAN set to 4096 ALL and it'll partake in the traffic from the other portgroup/networks on that vswitch, than uplink the vyos guest to that portgroup

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004252

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thank YOU! That did the ticket.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 8, 2021

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is it possible for virtualbox and hyper-v to talk to each other?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Is it possible for virtualbox and hyper-v to talk to each other?

Hypothetically yes, might be able to bridge the Virtual Switches/Network Adapters or even put Virtualbox on the Hyper-V Virtual Switch.

I've done it before, but it was several years ago. Might try tonight.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CommieGIR posted:

Hypothetically yes, might be able to bridge the Virtual Switches/Network Adapters or even put Virtualbox on the Hyper-V Virtual Switch.

Oh my god I'm an idiot I'll try this tomorrow.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Woof Blitzer posted:

Oh my god I'm an idiot I'll try this tomorrow.

Success! The host received a DHCP reservation. So it turns out Hyper-V and Virtualbox can coexist which is great as all the boxes I downloaded from VulnHub are .ova format.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Success! The host received a DHCP reservation. So it turns out Hyper-V and Virtualbox can coexist which is great as all the boxes I downloaded from VulnHub are .ova format.

Another option is to convert the VMDK to VHDs and they should be bootable from HyperV directly.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CommieGIR posted:

Another option is to convert the VMDK to VHDs and they should be bootable from HyperV directly.

I thought the Microsoft conversion tool was retired?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

I thought the Microsoft conversion tool was retired?

Yeah cause they moved it to build into the fabric:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/vmm/vm-convert-vmware?view=sc-vmm-2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The question that prompted this got me thinking: I do wish there was a abstraction framework that could multiplex several hypervisors on the same hardware, when they all use hardware-accelerated virtualization (ie. VMENTER/VMEXIT with SLAT).
As it is, when you've got one type-2 hypervisor running, you can only launch additional instances of that hypervisor. You can't, as an example, have bhyve, xen, and virtualbox interchangably, nor can you live migrate between them.
In that sense it seems like there's still a lot of work to be done, but I think there's very little hope for an open standard for either the abstraction nor the API for live migration.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 30, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

The question that prompted this got me thinking: I do wish there was a abstraction framework that could multiplex several hypervisors on the same hardware, when they all use hardware-accelerated virtualization (ie. VMENTER/VMEXIT with SLAT).
As it is, when you've got one type-2 hypervisor running, you can only launch additional instances of that hypervisor. You can't, as an example, have bhyve, xen, and virtualbox interchangably, nor can you live migrate between them.
In that sense it seems like there's still a lot of work to be done, but I think there's very little hope for an open standard for either the abstraction nor the API for live migration.

Yeah no chance on an API or abstraction layer. Too much money involved.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A while ago I was trying to use Virtualbox and I was getting weird errors that eventually tracked back to the fact that I'd installed HyperV at one point, wanting to give it a try. Apparently HyperV is always running and if you have HyperV installed then it hogs the VT-d hooks so no other VM implementation is allowed to use them.

Wasn't Microsoft looking at using HyperV sandboxes by default for windows applications at some point? Not sure how that is supposed to work with other VM servers going.

My understanding is that nested VT-d ("VMs inside VMs") actually does work properly so maybe the solution is to have Virtualbox register itself as a VM inside HyperV if it sees that HyperV is already installed. That seems like the "abstraction framework" we're seeking imo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

A while ago I was trying to use Virtualbox and I was getting weird errors that eventually tracked back to the fact that I'd installed HyperV at one point, wanting to give it a try. Apparently HyperV is always running and if you have HyperV installed then it hogs the VT-d hooks so no other VM implementation is allowed to use them.

Wasn't Microsoft looking at using HyperV sandboxes by default for windows applications at some point? Not sure how that is supposed to work with other VM servers going.

My understanding is that nested VT-d ("VMs inside VMs") actually does work properly so maybe the solution is to have Virtualbox register itself as a VM inside HyperV if it sees that HyperV is already installed. That seems like the "abstraction framework" we're seeking imo.

HyperV is actively used for sandboxing apps in some cases right now, and Microsoft has said they are going to use HyperV to do security features more in the future.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You're thinking of Windows Defender Application Guard, which makes use of HyperV to sandbox quite a few things, including the Edge browser - it also underpins Windows Sandbox, I think.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Since version 6.0 VirtualBox has been able to use the "Windows Hypervisor Platform" on Win10 1803+ to be coexist with Hyper-V.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi thread. I have a windows 10 PC, 9900k, 2080ti, 32gb DDR4 ram. Is it feasible to use a VM so that I can have someone playing a VR game while someone else uses the screens to play a relatively low GPU/CPU demand game? Thanks. I've never done anything with VM before but I'm otherwise a pretty techy goon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Technically, you could do it without a VM. Nothing says you can't run two apps at the same time. I think your biggest hurdle might be separating inputs. Hard to tell something to use a keyboard in one app but not another. Same with mouse or controllers. Maybe someone else can think of a way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Multi-seat configurations (invented for IRIX by SGI, if memory serves) isn't natively supported in Windows, but there are third-party solutions that make it possible.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've never used it before but maybe something like Aster would do what you're looking for:

https://www.ibik.ru/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks guys. Some stuff to read up on it seems.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Multi-seat configurations (invented for IRIX by SGI, if memory serves) isn't natively supported in Windows, but there are third-party solutions that make it possible.

It’s supported natively up to windows server 2016 as multipoint server, it was EoL on 2019 due to the introduction of azure desktops and windows 10 enterprise multi-session(formerly EVD). The biggest hurdle is that the 3D support might not be the best for games.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

It’s supported natively up to windows server 2016 as multipoint server, it was EoL on 2019 due to the introduction of azure desktops and windows 10 enterprise multi-session(formerly EVD). The biggest hurdle is that the 3D support might not be the best for games.
Well colour me surprised.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Hi thread. I have a windows 10 PC, 9900k, 2080ti, 32gb DDR4 ram. Is it feasible to use a VM so that I can have someone playing a VR game while someone else uses the screens to play a relatively low GPU/CPU demand game? Thanks. I've never done anything with VM before but I'm otherwise a pretty techy goon.

It's cleaner if you do one discreet video card and usb controller per vm, for a while I booted fedora on intel igpu, windows 10 vm with a 2080 and a osx vm on a Rx 570 and I could use all 3 at once. It's also possible to share your 2080ti with multiple vms but you'd lose video out, you'd have to use a bunch of steamlinks or something for that.

Now I proxmox because its basically built for edge cases like this.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Well colour me surprised.

Windows Enterprise Multi-Session is just Windows Terminal Server 2019 R2, but available only on Azure.

It has all the same compatibility issues TS has always had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got my hands on some more RAM for my Xenserver cluster!