Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That happened to me on the first Agassiz Grind and I'm surprised it didn't suck more than it did. It was like 'this hurts but it's mildly inconvenient pain at worst."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ya I don’t think I got the full venom dose, thankfully!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone been able to fix crotch numbness with one of those no-nose (or other non-standard) seats? I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Here is my bike, I've read you want the saddle to be 1-2 inches above the handlebars, not sure if that's a hard and fast rule, but right now they are at about the same height. If I lower the seat I will get knee pain, if I raise the seat I will generally get crotch numbness more quickly. Right now it takes about 25-30 minutes to set in.

My legs are quite long relative to the rest of my body - I'm 6'1" and I had to get an omg huge office chair for this (over 18" seat depth, 20.5" chair height). It does seem like my seat should be higher when I'm looking at full leg extension when the pedal is at the lowest position, but as I said that gives me the crotch issues. I had the handlebar and height and reach checked by someone who used to work in a bike shop so I'm pretty sure I'm okay in that area.

A few I found:

https://www.freewheelbike.com/product/ergon-sr-comp-men-349177-1.htm
https://www.freewheelbike.com/product/bontrager-verse-comp-bike-saddle-383422-1.htm

I will go in and get some measurements on my rear end done

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 31, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxRVphhR_Ww

Every'body different. If your bits are going numb you may need a differently shaped saddle, one with a cutout, to point it couple degrees up or down, or move it a few mm back or forward.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

I think the long clamp on the spurcycle will fit fine - I've got one on a 35mm bar.

Their website shows a 31.8mm diameter, but I'm gonna try it!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I haven’t ridden my bicycle since Saturday. This is the longest break I’ve had in over a year.

But I did hike the Grand Canyon and I’m going to ride up Bryce Canyon in a couple days!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxRVphhR_Ww

Every'body different. If your bits are going numb you may need a differently shaped saddle, one with a cutout, to point it couple degrees up or down, or move it a few mm back or forward.

thanks!

I measured my inseam using this at just under 33", which should give me a 29" height from the crank center to the top of the saddle. Mine is currently 27 3/4"! So it should definitely be higher, which makes sense because I'm definitely not getting that full extension when the pedal is at the bottom like in the video.

I'm going to set it at that for now, but I would still expect crotch issues, so I will go in and get measured for a saddle - mine is 145 mm which is almost certainly not wide enough for my giant rear end. I'll also get one that has some opening in the middle for my junk

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Can anyone point me to some good sources of info for a mega noob bike rider? As in I want to get into road biking to get my heart pumping again after 10 hour shifts of sitting on my rear end at my IT job. I haven't been a regular bike rider since I was a kid, so I don't even know where to start. I just know I'd like a good bike that doesn't weigh a ton (since I'll have to lug it up to my 2nd floor apartment) and doest cost a fortune. Plus I'm not really familiar with the general rules of the road when biking. I'm assuming you just follow car rules. Anyway know where I should look?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Charliegrs posted:

Can anyone point me to some good sources of info for a mega noob bike rider? As in I want to get into road biking to get my heart pumping again after 10 hour shifts of sitting on my rear end at my IT job. I haven't been a regular bike rider since I was a kid, so I don't even know where to start. I just know I'd like a good bike that doesn't weigh a ton (since I'll have to lug it up to my 2nd floor apartment) and doest cost a fortune. Plus I'm not really familiar with the general rules of the road when biking. I'm assuming you just follow car rules. Anyway know where I should look?

Old school GCN Stuff on youtube is very very very good. Back before it became super professional, polished and full of product placement would be my recommendation for general bike riding tips.

And yes, bikes follow most local traffic laws. Depending on where you're based will decide where you need to look. UK Its the highway code, US i'm not really sure. Seems to vary by state?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

But I did hike the Grand Canyon and I’m going to ride up Bryce Canyon in a couple days!

You doing Rainbow Point? Not a bad climb.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Charliegrs posted:

In the UK lots of local cycling organisations have special rides or buddy systems to get people into riding. Focused around commuting but will give you confidence for riding around on the road. You might have a group local to you that does similar.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I will generally get crotch numbness more quickly. Right now it takes about 25-30 minutes to set in.
Ask local shops if they have demo saddles or if they do exchanges for saddles. Most shops will want the money up front, but it is better than buying random saddles with hope that you get lucky and buy the right one for you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I just know I'd like a good bike that doesn't weigh a ton (since I'll have to lug it up to my 2nd floor apartment) and doest cost a fortune. Plus I'm not really familiar with the general rules of the road when biking. I'm assuming you just follow car rules. Anyway know where I should look?

Supply for new bikes is really spotty right now. You’d normally be best served going to a bike shop with multiple models for you to try out for sizing and preference. But now local shops might not have much stock in your size. Still worth finding out. An excellent starter bike might be 700-1000 USD, no accessories like helmet.

We have a commuter thread that deals with some of the practicalities of riding in the road.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldp24DfTeB8

A very accurate representation of the journey that is getting into recreational cycling by starting with a cheap basic bike you love. Has plenty of basic newbie tips while chronicling the fun you'll have, the friends you make, and the thousands of yen you've spent along the way.

https://www.hidive.com/tv/long-riders

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Ask local shops if they have demo saddles or if they do exchanges for saddles. Most shops will want the money up front, but it is better than buying random saddles with hope that you get lucky and buy the right one for you.

this place sells Bontrager and they said they have a 30 day full refund policy for their stuff if I'm unhappy

I think they will do the "sitz bones" measurement. I would guess I will actually need 155 or 165 mm

my guess, or maybe my hope, is that the current saddle is what is preventing me from being at the proper height, which is definitely 1-2 inches higher than where I am right now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Okay. I don't know of short nose helping at all, but try stuff with a cut out if you can't fix numbness with saddle angle.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
BIG MAY

bikes are so good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Okay. I don't know of short nose helping at all, but try stuff with a cut out if you can't fix numbness with saddle angle.

yeah this is the one I'm probably going to look at first since it has a nice junk cutout

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...saddle/p/32222/

Is 270 mm a standard saddle length? Mine is around 285

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

You doing Rainbow Point? Not a bad climb.

Indeed, gonna do the climb and the wife will meet me at the top. Or maybe at the village if I want some descents. Probably do it real early before it gets busy and warm.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I had a ride today. It was one of those sweet ones where you head out early before it gets windy, and plan it so you have a tailwind on the way home. Bikes rule.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

Time posted:

BIG MAY

bikes are so good.

holy smokes. congrats

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Lmao ripping sick gains on the trail and a loving bumble bee flew in my mouth at the end of the ride. For now I think he just grazed my lip when I reached my hand in there to get him out, since the swelling is mostly gone.

Dude the looming threat of Bugmouth™ is real. I had a comical amount of flying homies bouncing off my helmet and hands on my ride today and it made me intensely aware of how hard I mouthbreath.

Sometimes they're purdy at least

A windy mountain road I've ridden a few times in the dark was closed to cars over the holiday weekend but still open to cyclists so I figured I'd go do it in the day for once. Was cool being able to take corners a little bit more aggressively just by virtue of being able to see the road clearly in daylight. Imagine that.

Also I broke 600mi in a month for the first time :)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cicadas have been everywhere the last couple weeks. Took three of them to the face on one ride last week:

I can't stay mad at them, though. They're just so endearingly stupid.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Going down GRR and GMR sans cars is some of the greatest riding ever.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Had a lovely coastal bike ride the other day! So happy the weather was actually nice for a change.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Time posted:

BIG MAY

bikes are so good.

:eyepop:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Late to hatchback chat but bike fits in the wagon with the front wheel off and the passenger seat bumped forward just a few notches.

Still want a hitch rack though. Someday.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if you have a station wagon like me you just shove the whole thing in :p

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Hollow Knight screenshot right there.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I was gonna do a dumb "40 miles on my 40th birthday" ride on Wednesday, but I busted a spoke yesterday, and the shop is a couple weeks out.

Should I tough it out on the single speed?
A little concerned about fit/comfort for 40mi on the single speed. The frame is a size too small, which hasn't been an issue for short commutes, but for a couple hours...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Late to hatchback chat but bike fits in the wagon with the front wheel off and the passenger seat bumped forward just a few notches.

Still want a hitch rack though. Someday.

I slipped once while doing this and the chaining chewed some notches into my bumper. Oh well, that's just the hatchback lifestyle

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have a full size pickup and still use a hitch rack sometimes. Makes managing a bike plus ice fishing / camping / hunting gear so much easier. On our trip this weekend I told my wife we were bringing it and at first she was skeptical but on the way back said she was amazed at just how much easier it is to manage bikes that way.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

rt4 posted:

I slipped once while doing this and the chaining chewed some notches into my bumper. Oh well, that's just the hatchback lifestyle

People keep hitting the car and it is on the 4th bumper. No blemishes last very long :sun:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone have experience/opinions on the Bontrager AW1 Hard-Case Lites? I've just about cooked the rear tire on my daily rider and haven't had much luck finding either a Conti GP5k or an Ultra Sport iii, both of which I've run previously and liked, so I'm starting to look into other options that aren't sold out (or massively marked up)

edit: looks like I could also grab a Teravail Rampart

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 1, 2021

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Looking at either the Wahoo Roam or the new Bolt, is there a reason I'd go with the Roam, other than the larger screen? They seem to be pretty much the same, except for the screens, and the Bolt is $100 cheaper.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

I was gonna do a dumb "40 miles on my 40th birthday" ride

Should I tough it out on the single speed?
yes

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

XIII posted:

Anyone have experience/opinions on the Bontrager AW1 Hard-Case Lites? I've just about cooked the rear tire on my daily rider and haven't had much luck finding either a Conti GP5k or an Ultra Sport iii, both of which I've run previously and liked, so I'm starting to look into other options that aren't sold out (or massively marked up)

If you want a tire like the GP5, I'd avoid them. The AWs are commuter/touring tires.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

yoohoo posted:

Looking at either the Wahoo Roam or the new Bolt, is there a reason I'd go with the Roam, other than the larger screen? They seem to be pretty much the same, except for the screens, and the Bolt is $100 cheaper.

The roam has better nav option on the unit itself, like automatic routing when you miss a turn and such. That's basically the only real difference apart from sizing, and some extra LED's on the unit.

quote:

This where the Bolt and Roam can truly be separated. Navigation on the Bolt allows you to follow your ride with turn-by-turn directions. However, you can only make changes or add a route using Wahoo's Elemnt companion app on your phone. If you get lost or want to head home early, you'll need to stop to create a new route on your phone and sync via the app. You'll need phone signal and power, and may require offline maps added to your smart phone.

Everything changes with the Roam. You can navigate from within the device — pick a new destination, retrace, go back to the start, plus pan and zoom on the map.

The Roam will automatically reroute the rider if they turn off an active course — Wahoo’s previous computers alerted the rider if they deviated, but did not automatically send them back to the selected course.

In each situation, you don't need to stop and get your phone out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

If you want a tire like the GP5, I'd avoid them. The AWs are commuter/touring tires.

The GP5 was nice, but not worth the premium over the Ultra Sport 2/3s that I've run previously. Plus I burned through two of them in roughly the same amount of time (because skidzzzz). I was mostly considering getting another one simply because I wasn't finding any Ultra Sports, but I figured I'd look into other brand options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

XIII posted:

BikeTiresDirect has GP5ks and ultrasport iii's in stock.