Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

AndyElusive posted:

He made me retroactively sad that Luke couldn't find a non-lethal way to escape from the Rancor in Return of the Jedi.
Fairly close after the release of Attack Of The Clones, some story or said that the beast that attacked Anakin was actually a herbivore but intentionally fed meat and purposely abused to to be angry to put on a good show in arena fights. I kind of didn't want to feel that kind of sympathy, but it was clearly showing the Geonosians as assholes for doing that to the poor beast.

So I don't blame Luke, I blame Jabba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Larryb posted:

But as I said, based on the Beast Master’s reaction afterwards Luke still murdered someone’s beloved pet/friend regardless.

One the best surprising moments in the original Trilogy. I've never forget the sound of him crying on his buddy's shoulder.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cheesus posted:

Fairly close after the release of Attack Of The Clones, some story or said that the beast that attacked Anakin was actually a herbivore but intentionally fed meat and purposely abused to to be angry to put on a good show in arena fights. I kind of didn't want to feel that kind of sympathy, but it was clearly showing the Geonosians as assholes for doing that to the poor beast.

One bit in the RotJ novelization is the rancor scene from Luke's viewpoint. Luke feels great compassion for the creature given how it was abused and what he really wanted to do was free the beast and turn it loose on Jabba and his court. However, he didn't see a way to do that so his alternative was to kill the rancor and quickly and painlessly as possible.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Everyone posted:

You know what? I liked Mara Jade in the old EU. She was a cool, interesting character who brought a different perspective to the Force, the Empire and the Emperor. Plus the relationship she had with Luke seemed to dodge the idea of her being a prize/reward/object for Luke, instead being a relationship of partners and equals.

That said, I think her niche in this canon has pretty well already been filled by Ahsoka Tano. I just don't see any way to bring in Mara Jade that wouldn't smack of "Imperial/Sith" Ahsoka Tano.

None of the old eu writers knew what to do with her so past getting together with luke her character development stopped until she was killed off in a really dumb way.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

We got an entire trilogy of Luke being one of the lead protagonists. The ST needed to not focus so much on those characters and instead give the new generation the focus.

Different opinions, but I believe Luke shouldn’t have died at all and should have had a showdown with Palps along with Rey and Ben. Maybe even a dope lightsaber fight instead of Palpatine making the same mistake he made with Mace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cheesus posted:

They did the same in the old EU with the rancor too. They're used as mounts on Dathomir, and are pretty much "elephants with hands" type-creatures. The Night Sisters were horrified to hear about what Jabba did to his, and Luke feels like an absolute poo poo for killing it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Anita Dickinme posted:

Different opinions, but I believe Luke shouldn’t have died at all and should have had a showdown with Palps along with Rey and Ben. Maybe even a dope lightsaber fight instead of Palpatine making the same mistake he made with Mace.

Having seen the Prequel trilogy, would the original trilogy have been improved by being re-written and remade with Kenobi, Ahsoka, Yoda and others taking the lead while Luke, Leia and Han Solo functioned more as mascots and hangers on? I'm thinking no.

There's a reason that General Obi-wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight, Hero of the Clone Wars and the Only Hope of the Rebellion "dies" in a duel against Vader on the Death Star. It's to clear the way for the heroes of the story to have their time.

One of the many problems the Sequel Trilogy had was never quite being willing to move the original cast out of the way to let the next generation of heroes have their time. Hell, the last movie featured appearances by Harrison Ford (whose character Han had died in The Force Awakens), Mark Hamill (whose character Luke had died in The Last Jedi) and Carrie Fisher (who had actually died in real life before The Last Jedi was released).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
B-b-but Rey is a girl! We can’t make her the lead Star War! Luke should have been an unstoppable badass who learned absolutely nothing and had no character arc at all but been a TOTAL BADASS because that’s how I remember him from the EU 20 years ago!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It felt worse with Lando, since a bunch of his dialogue seems to be about how he's better than Poe and he's the one who does all the hard work (off-screen) of actually saving the day.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 31, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It felt worse with Lando, since a bunch of his dialogue seems to be about how he's better than Poe and how he's the one who does all the hard work (off-screen) of actually saving the day.

TROS does everyone dirty.
- Lando felt like a complete afterthought and his entire subplot with Jannah was cut, so he ends up being little more than a cameo until the finale.
- Luke looks like poo poo because they hosed up the visuals and he doesn’t display any growth at all from TLJ, he’s just a generic Obi-Wan figure who exists to provide Rey with two new quest items.
- The Leia stuff is downright disgusting and imho there honestly should have been more widespread condemnation of the practice from other filmmakers. They reduce Carrie Fisher’s final film role to what is essentially a loving text-to-speech device.
- Chewbacca is reduced to two death fakeouts!

And it isn’t just OT characters who get the shaft either, TROS shits all over the ST mains as well.
- Poe is setup at the end of TLJ to be a proper leader of the Resistance in the vein of Leia. Instead he’s just another pilot back in the cockpit but now with a quasi-Han backstory tacked on for no reason.
- Rey “doesn’t feel worthy” of Luke’s saber and legacy because of YouTube nazis for some reason.
- Finn is back to being a screaming idiot who does nothing other than follow Rey around, just like he was in big chunks of TFA. They even manage to hint at two interesting arcs for him but somehow swerve completely around both of them.
- Kylo is set up to be a bitter and conflicted ruler at the end of TLJ, but now he’s sidelined by another boss and basically back his TFA enforcer role until the last act.

gently caress TROS. gently caress JJ and Terrio. It’s honestly impressive how they managed to somehow make a movie that thoroughly infuriated both OT purists and ST fans.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Lando felt like a complete afterthought and his entire subplot with Jannah was cut, so he ends up being little more than a cameo until the finale.
- Luke looks like poo poo because they hosed up the visuals and he doesn’t display any growth at all from TLJ, he’s just a generic Obi-Wan figure who exists to provide Rey with two new quest items.
- The Leia stuff is downright disgusting and imho there honestly should have been more widespread condemnation of the practice from other filmmakers. They reduce Carrie Fisher’s final film role to what is essentially a loving text-to-speech device.

And it isn’t just OT characters who get the shaft either, TROS shits all over the ST mains as well.
- Poe is setup at the end of TLJ to be a proper leader of the Resistance in the vein of Leia. Instead he’s just another pilot back in the cockpit but now with a quasi-Han backstory tacked on for no reason.
- Rey “doesn’t feel worthy” of Luke’s saber and legacy because of YouTube nazis for some reason.
- Finn is back to being a screaming idiot who does nothing other than follow Rey around, just like he was in big chunks of TFA. They even manage to hint at two interesting arcs for him but somehow swerve completely around both of them.
- Kylo is set up to be a bitter and conflicted ruler at the end of TLJ, but now he’s sidelined by another boss and basically back his TFA enforcer role until the last act.

gently caress TROS. gently caress JJ and Terrio. It’s honestly impressive how they managed to somehow make a movie that thoroughly infuriated both OT purists and ST fans.

You left out Rose. It’s ok, she got left out of TRoS too :smith:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So glad the sequel duology ended on a high note.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh god, that one was so sad.

:smith: A lot of people were happy to see Rose again and WELP, she was there for like 5 minutes.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've always felt that TROS was simply the result of them mistaking the loudest people for everyone else on the planet, and giving them what they said they wanted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh gently caress you’re right, I completely forgot that they had Rose show up for like two scenes total, and then gave half her lines to yet another buddy of JJ’s.

BooDooBoo posted:

I've always felt that TROS was simply the result of them mistaking the loudest people for everyone else on the planet, and giving them what they said they wanted.

Yeah, Carrie’s death combined with Book of Henry really hosed them over and they should have just delayed the film and taken the time to write an actual proper finale that fit given the real-world circumstances. Instead, Iger insisted on hitting that 2019 release date and I guess JJ and Terrio just scraped together a bunch of bullet point wish list plot beats from the shittiest and loudest parts of the fandom.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BooDooBoo posted:

pretty sure disney knew who they were dealing with after they "fired" james gunn from guardians 3 after the jack pubes thing, and they did it anyway because they like nazis

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't forget that the last scene with them seemed to set up that Jannah is Lando's daughter (grand-daughter? great-grand-daughter?) that he is going to try to bone.

TRoS is to Star Wars what Black Panther 2 would be to Marvel if they took all their suggestions for "improving" it from Proud Boys message boards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I didn't like Force Awakens, but Rey, Finn and Poe were all poised to be classic characters.

A nobody from a nowhere world about to be pushed into adventure beyond her imagining, an ex-stormtrooper wanting to make things right, a hot-shot pilot adventurer to introduce them to the Rebellion and keep things moving as they come into their own.

Goddamn, they hosed that up.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thankfully we have the shows to keep the good stories going in this universe. Hopefully something comes out to redeem the ST as Clone Wars did for the PT.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Radio! posted:

I know some people have speculated that the Seventh Sister from Rebels is actually Barriss since they're both Force using Mirialans but that's about the extent of the supporting evidence.

Can't be, Ahsoka and Barriss were besties up until that late story arc, Ahsoka and the Seventh Sister saw each other face to face without helmets in Rebels and didn't whisper a hint of recognition.

I think they may have planned to make it that way, but backed out of it early in the writing process and gone with a genericised version instead.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 31, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm fine with that. Rebels season two was all about building to Ahsoka's confrontation with Vader; throwing in another emotional conflict from her past might have detracted from that a bit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Thankfully we have the shows to keep the good stories going in this universe. Hopefully something comes out to redeem the ST as Clone Wars did for the PT.

Filoni made some of the best things to come out of the PT in my opinion, maybe one day he can do a show that does the same for the ST (the only series in that era we have so far is Resistance but he was barely involved with that and it was cancelled prematurely)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Heck they could have just done a rehash of the original trilogy, it wouldn’t have been the most interesting or original thing but it wouldn’t have been utter dog poo poo either

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1) Kylo Ren goes to complete his training at the end of TFA, turns out it was Palpatine all along.
2) Leia dies when the her ship is hit, Holdo takes over the leadership role. Rey goes with Kylo Ren to become evil.

I can't figure out how to fix TROS in one or two sentences.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe something like Finn makes the argument that no one is beyond help and loving Anakin Skywalker shows up to point out that no one thought he could be saved.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

That was apparently a different Rancor but yeah (I still wonder what happened to Muchi though).

Narratively it's supposed to be the same Rancor, they just discarded the old name so Wookieepedants wouldn't figure it out as soon as they heard the kid was called "Pateesa".

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

Narratively it's supposed to be the same Rancor, they just discarded the old name so Wookieepedants wouldn't figure it out as soon as they heard the kid was called "Pateesa".

I hate Luke Skywalker now. :smith:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I didn't like Force Awakens, but Rey, Finn and Poe were all poised to be classic characters.

A nobody from a nowhere world about to be pushed into adventure beyond her imagining, an ex-stormtrooper wanting to make things right, a hot-shot pilot adventurer to introduce them to the Rebellion and keep things moving as they come into their own.

Wasn’t Poe supposed to die in the first movie originally? They managed a partial save but still hosed that up.

What they clearly needed was to bring ol’ Sheev back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Wasn’t Poe supposed to die in the first movie originally? They managed a partial save but still hosed that up.

What they clearly needed was to bring ol’ Sheev back.

Poe was supposed to die in the crash and it was initially filmed that way, but a few weeks later Oscar Isaac called up JJ and asked if Poe could survive. That’s why he just shows up at the Resistance base later without any explanation. The cockpit stuff at Takodana was filmed later.

And I mean it’s good that they fixed that because Poe is fun and he has a solid TLJ arc later, but uhhhhhh how the gently caress do you cast Oscar Isaac in the first place and then decide “oh I’m just gonna kill this guy off 20 minutes in”? Especially coming off the heels of Ex Machina and the excellent Inside Llewyn Davis.

TFA and TROS are like a masterclass in how to squander a cast’s potential.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sash! posted:

1) Kylo Ren goes to complete his training at the end of TFA, turns out it was Palpatine all along.
2) Leia dies when the her ship is hit, Holdo takes over the leadership role. Rey goes with Kylo Ren to become evil.

I can't figure out how to fix TROS in one or two sentences.

Finn infiltrates the FO and causes a civil war which the Resistance and Galaxy at large takes advantage of to overthrow them once and for all while Rey and Ben take down Palpatine with their bond established during TLJ

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The new trilogy was the biggest example of "gently caress you, you'll buy a ticket no matter what" ever, as far as I can tell

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

jivjov posted:

We got an entire trilogy of Luke being one of the lead protagonists. The ST needed to not focus so much on those characters and instead give the new generation the focus.

I totally agree with this but also think it could use an addendum.

quote:

We got two entire trilogies of Palpatine being the real protagonist. The ST needed to keep him in the loving ground and instead give his legacy the focus.

I mean, it's particularly sad that being a long-con plot by Palpatine gave the First Order more character than it got in the first two movies. It was just there because hey you have to have stormtroopers and Star Destroyers, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean there’s real-world precedent with neo-nazis and proud boy types adopting explicit Nazi Germany iconography, plus the First Order in TFA and TLJ is shown to be far more fanatical than the Empire ever was.

But, you know, JJ and Terrio couldn’t just loving commit to having Kylo as the sole big bad so they went back to their toybox and pulled out Sheev for no reason. And in the process they neutered what could have been a really interesting villain and made the trilogy’s protagonist actively worse by needlessly tying her lineage to an OT character instead of just letting her forge her own path.

AND they did it after the previous film made her a nobody! You had an inclusive opportunity to say that anyone in your setting could be special and important and have a certain heroic destiny (literally the entire loving point of TLJ!) and instead you pulled the loving rug out and said “lol nope she’s actually important because she’s the long lost granddaughter of the old familiar villain”. gently caress. You!

Goddamn I loving hate TROS :argh:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 1, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The nicest thing you can say about TRoS is that when you watch it at the end of an 11 movie marathon it's alright popcorn viewing, but the second you think about it even a little it falls apart.

Cage Kicker posted:

Heck they could have just done a rehash of the original trilogy, it wouldn’t have been the most interesting or original thing but it wouldn’t have been utter dog poo poo either
The problem with doing it that way is that this trilogy needed to explain how the New Republic fell before it could explain how the Resistance won. It didn't really manage to do either particularly well because it was trying to do both. The previous up and downswings of galactic history each got a full trilogy and a TV show.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I just want Shadows of the Empire

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Who's behind every evil deed?
It was palpatine all along!

He should have just been a spooky ghost that tempts Rey or something. Not everything.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean there’s real-world precedent with neo-nazis and proud boy types adopting explicit Nazi Germany iconography, plus the First Order in TFA and TLJ is shown to be far more fanatical than the Empire ever was.

The imp officer in mandalorian killing the two pilots, trying to crash the ship then killing himself is possibly even more ride or die.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goddamn I loving hate TROS :argh:

Work paid for a bunch of us to go see an afternoon matinee. The guy next to me fell asleep twice, and I was a little jealous of him being unconscious after the Chewbacca death fakeout.

Currently watching Rebels for the first time and drat is Jason Isaacs good as the Inquisitor. His successors are not nearly as menacing, they’re Team Rocket in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jet Jaguar posted:

Work paid for a bunch of us to go see an afternoon matinee. The guy next to me fell asleep twice, and I was a little jealous of him being unconscious after the Chewbacca death fakeout.

Currently watching Rebels for the first time and drat is Jason Isaacs good as the Inquisitor. His successors are not nearly as menacing, they’re Team Rocket in comparison.

Well, the Inquisitor was pretty much the first season "Big Bad." The season season "Big Bad" was voiced-by-James-Earl-Jones Darth loving Vader. So of course the two Inquisitor hench-monkeys will be Team Rocket compared to that.