Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Found in a coloring book someone gave my daughter, presented for your review...

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 18:06 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

very important to teach kids the relationship between policing and dog whistles

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

but you cannot wipe the boogers/snot off their nose ever

when my oldest was 6 months old, she refused to let us give her tylenol through the syringe. she'd be screaming bloody murder because she's tired and feverish, but when we brought that syringe close to her lips, it was like a switch flipped. she instantly stopped crying, shut her mouth, pushed her lower lip as far up as she could to block the syringe. and she'd just stare at us, as if to say "your move now bitch"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Found in a coloring book someone gave my daughter, presented for your review...

Looks like Nazi Germany But Animals.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Good soup! posted:

It sucks that so many books about being a dad and giving advice is done through that irritating lens of "HEH you're a MANLY man, also treat your wife like a QUEEN by doing (list of things you should have already been doing around the house because you're not a fuckin manchild)

The chapters in what to expect about your wife's actual health and potential issues was also woefully inadequate, but given that there's so many gaps and blind spots in understanding pregnancy, I guess it's not too surprising

my wife and i are looking at books and yeah there's a whole plethora of "DUDES! TIME TO BE A DAD!" with incredible suggestions like you do the bare minimum of household chores

I found one called Cribnotes and i'm not really sure about the author or the reviews about it but the content seems decent.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My step father in law came over and said when he had a baby girl he was too weirded out by the baby's vagina to ever change her diaper so I kinda loving snapped at him.

Very glad his wife divorced him, sad that my wife's mom is now stuck with him.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
It really does seem like literally all parenting/birthing material is steeped in misogyny and fear of taking about the human body and the only way to learn this stuff is by having frank conversations with people that have given birth without allowing yourself any squeamishness.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

the human body's gross and disgusting we get it

now get over it and be a drat parent

I do miss the yellow mustard splats. That was easy even though there were more containment breaches.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my life is just full of Captain Hook now

my kid is obsessed with Jake and the never land pirates and my spouse is watching once upon a time

yeah…my spouse as a surprise that she was pregnant got me dude you’re going to be a dad and it was full of gender normative crapola and and I told her …she had no idea, it was just a funny title . I half expect the books to be like you need to occasionally hold the baby and then wait until it can catch an ball to be interested.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
who else here is currently in the bathroom hiding from a toddler

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

you can do that?

imo, the first chapter of every new dad book should be about the squirt bottle mom gets to take home from the hospital

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Lol, didn't you know crapping is a spectator sport.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Mustached Demon posted:

you can do that?

imo, the first chapter of every new dad book should be about the squirt bottle mom gets to take home from the hospital
maybe I lucked out but my kids picked up the concept of privacy pretty quick, so I escape for extra long bathroom breaks about 15 times per day. it seems to help me recharge a little bit before going back into toddler battle

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i did learn about poopsplosions today as I was trying to understand the anatomy of cloth diapers if we choose to go that route

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elissimpark posted:

This is an entirely too accurate post.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
The uterus shrinking back to original size is the most obvious/unexpected/not talked about/incredible phenomenon

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Dad on the can, toddler in the bathtub

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
O hey this looks like a good thread, I have four kids under the age of 10, hello.

Speaking of parenting books for dads, I am consistently disgusted with how low the bar is set for dads (I am a dad).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I read a book called Rad Dad that was pretty cool. just had some neat anecdotes from dads. Ian MacKaye did a piece for it even.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

mirepoix posted:

O hey this looks like a good thread, I have four kids under the age of 10, hello.

Speaking of parenting books for dads, I am consistently disgusted with how low the bar is set for dads (I am a dad).

the bar is so low that I feel sort of ashamed when I read them

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mustached Demon posted:

Dad on the can, toddler extemporising on the phenomenology of the visible cosmos.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm not sure what I would hope to get from a parenting book For Dads. I just read parenting books.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

This is Erie.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not sure what I would hope to get from a parenting book For Dads. I just read parenting books.

The only way I could see one being of any worth is if the whole point of the book was explaining how dumb and wrong old stereotypes of what dads do are, I guess that's just gender stereotypes in general though.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

PerniciousKnid posted:

one of the only ways to read multiple modern texts that should be largely gender neutral but most use she/her by default

re: pregnancy books that go week-by-week. only get ones that use animals for the inevitable fetus size metaphors.

tangerine and grapefruit :nono:

svelte cat and lobster :hai:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
we had kiwi and lime

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PerniciousKnid posted:

I’ve refused to read any parenting books so far but my wife is insisting I read on one adhd for kids for my 6 year old

I assume all 6 year old boys basically have adhd but we always figured ours was extra insane and now a doctor has given us a diagnosis “he’s on the border but, yea probably”

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fosborb posted:

re: pregnancy books that go week-by-week. only get ones that use animals for the inevitable fetus size metaphors.

tangerine and grapefruit :nono:

svelte cat and lobster :hai:
My wife made us take pictures with all the fruits, animals would've been way more annoying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’ve refused to read any parenting books so far but my wife is insisting I read on one adhd for kids for my 6 year old

I assume all 6 year old boys basically have adhd but we always figured ours was extra insane and now a doctor has given us a diagnosis “he’s on the border but, yea probably”

what book is

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I feel like most parenting books for dads either focus on " you are gonna be a great dad, lets psyche you up!" Or " so theres a new lifeform in your home, heres how to not let it die like every pet/plant you ever had", instead they should be brutally honest like " yeah, youre not going to get a full night's sleep for at least 2 years, you're gonna be covered in bodily fluids, you're going to worry all the time, remember all that free time you had for stupid hobbies like painting warhams figurines, it's gonne now, ei remember all the bare minimum effort you put into your relationship it's not gonna be enough, yeah yeah poor you try having a sucking machine attached to your breasts 10 times a day while your internal organs and body chemistry rearranges itself,step up your game,son"

Ya know, basic stuff.we're dads , we're basic bitches.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

PerniciousKnid posted:

My wife made us take pictures with all the fruits, animals would've been way more annoying.

would have made for better pictures imo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PerniciousKnid posted:

My wife and I have a picture of us doing a shot of tequila at our local on her due date (she drank a glass of wine twice in the previous 9 months)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I feel like most parenting books for dads either focus on " you are gonna be a great dad, lets psyche you up!" Or " so theres a new lifeform in your home, heres how to not let it die like every pet/plant you ever had", instead they should be brutally honest like " yeah, youre not going to get a full night's sleep for at least 2 years, you're gonna be covered in bodily fluids, you're going to worry all the time, remember all that free time you had for stupid hobbies like painting warhams figurines, it's gonne now, ei remember all the bare minimum effort you put into your relationship it's not gonna be enough, yeah yeah poor you try having a sucking machine attached to your breasts 10 times a day while your internal organs and body chemistry rearranges itself,step up your game,son"

Ya know, basic stuff.we're dads , we're basic bitches.

All the "bad" stuff is totally worth it when toddler points at you and shouts dada.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My 10mo did that, then pointed at the cat and said it again, then just started staring into space saying "dadadadadada" etc.

Beats my friend's kid who called both parents "cat" for months I suppose

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Big Mad Drongo posted:

My 10mo did that, then pointed at the cat and said it again, then just started staring into space saying "dadadadadada" etc.

Friend of mine had her kid call her Bobby for years. Eventually figured out they were trying to say princess??

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Cat is eeeeeeeeeee, dog is ogg, mom is also dadadada.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ADHD 2.0 by Halowell

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My kid is obsessed with the cats and I'm proud of both of them for being extremely patient with her and she does an occasional death grip on their fur as we try to guide her hand in a petting motion lol

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I'm trying to remember the landmarks to have things to look forward to and give me strength during the hourly feeding time.

1.) Neck strength, sitting up on their own. ??? Months
2.) Holding their own bottle ( this is huge)
Starting to be able to entertain themselves for a bit in jumpers and poo poo, don't remember where this happened
3.) Human food
4.) Crawling
5.) Toddling
6.) Words, this is a lot of fun
High fives is in here somewhere
7.) Reasoning (this is my favorite, a back and fourth that is meaningful)
8.) Helping
9.) Potty on the potty
10.) Potty by them selves.

This is my quick list to the age of 3ish

Please add to or amend this list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Good soup! posted:

My kid is obsessed with the cats and I'm proud of both of them for being extremely patient with her and she does an occasional death grip on their fur as we try to guide her hand in a petting motion lol

Bless these pets that put up with our kids bullshit. My dog just started falling in love with the 3 year old, will come when he calls and cuddle with him. After a couple years of abject torture by a curious toddler.