Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Chris Davis continues his isometric CRPG series and here covers The Age of Decadence, a game made to pander to the sewer-dwellers from RPGcodex. He's not impressed with the juvenile behavior of the lead-developer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBt0qkrnzYA

"In Age of Decadence, the un-charismatic nerd is somehow a charmer. Perhaps a bit of wish-fulfillment on the part of the dev there."

TVD (The dev, old name) is weird and sucks but Age of Decadence is pretty good.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chris Davis continues his isometric CRPG series and here covers The Age of Decadence, a game made to pander to the sewer-dwellers from RPGcodex. He's not impressed with the juvenile behavior of the lead-developer.

"In Age of Decadence, the un-charismatic nerd is somehow a charmer. Perhaps a bit of wish-fulfillment on the part of the dev there."

i mean i like open"ish" crpgs. DE and wasteland 3 are fantastic in that regard because they have guardrails and a throughline but its more about the journey getting there and the weird choices you can make. BUT..

Jimbot posted:

Every time I read about that game it's so utterly apparent that it was developed for that particular crowd. The entire design ethos seems to be about littering the RPG character building mechanics with as many minefields and pitfalls as possible and if you don't build a certain way then playing to that build perfectly you'll get utterly destroyed.

I'm always on that quest to find a spiritual successor to Gothic where you start at the bottom of the barrel where acting like a jackass and action hero gets you whooped then slowly become a walking demi-god but some games just take it too far and replaces the "and then you become an engine of destruction, a supreme being that's unkillable" end-game with "eh, you went from scum to peon, you're still trash".

stuff like this is why i never go into THAT many CRPGs. also the weird elitism.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Everyone knows the only metric that matters when it comes to CRPGs is whether or not you can murder children.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i like open"ish" crpgs. DE and wasteland 3 are fantastic in that regard because they have guardrails and a throughline but its more about the journey getting there and the weird choices you can make. BUT..
stuff like this is why i never go into THAT many CRPGs. also the weird elitism.

If weird elitism was a problem why did you join SA?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jimbot posted:

I'm always on that quest to find a spiritual successor to Gothic where you start at the bottom of the barrel where acting like a jackass and action hero gets you whooped then slowly become a walking demi-god but some games just take it too far and replaces the "and then you become an engine of destruction, a supreme being that's unkillable" end-game with "eh, you went from scum to peon, you're still trash".

I liked Elex. It's very Gothic.

I wonder what Piranha Bytes are making right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thetoughestbean posted:

If weird elitism was a problem why did you join SA?

lol. i mean like what davis was talking about. i am fine with people not liking what i like and vice versa.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dias posted:

Hey, it's not a derail if the bad media takes are coming from this thread, we're online after all!

But here, have another potentially derailing video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPHLsczY4k&hd=1
This is A Good Video.

I had the exact same reaction of "Why do people think it's New York?" when the series first started.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Drew Gooden watched 46 years worth of SNL the simplest way possible. By only watching 1 episode per season (mostly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjxX4gvaqk

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

o hell yea i think i'm the only person in the world who played this when it came out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farm Frenzy posted:

o hell yea i think i'm the only person in the world who played this when it came out

Hey there, only other person that's played Echo! :hfive:

I quite liked it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOt6Nl1K5xU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I keep forgetting to plug Anansi's Library in this thread, so here's their latest vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVWDCvAcgo

Dang, I haven't touched this series since it covered Siege of Dragonspear. I shudder to think of how much it's progressed since then.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Solitair posted:

I keep forgetting to plug Anansi's Library in this thread, so here's their latest vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVWDCvAcgo

So, how significant is, and what is the context of the lobsterfucker in the thumbnail? Because my immediate thought is "the gently caress do I care about what some chudfuck jorp bitch thinks about something?"

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Vagabundo posted:

So, how significant is, and what is the context of the lobsterfucker in the thumbnail? Because my immediate thought is "the gently caress do I care about what some chudfuck jorp bitch thinks about something?"

you don't have to type like that to ask a simple question

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Vagabundo posted:

This person is very far left and not a jorp bitch at all. They briefly defend the writing of Red Skull to resemble Peterson, and when the title says "woke" it means liberal both-sidesing.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 1, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

something has gone wrong with my information structures that this thread is how i learn that jordan b lobsterman has gotten to the point where he's just straight up tweeting that he can talk about pro wrestling because he's a magical supernazi.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im pretty sure that means whoever they got running his twitter account after his brain melted in russia just wants to talk about wrestling

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I liked Elex. It's very Gothic.

I wonder what Piranha Bytes are making right now.

Elex owned. It felt like playing an unfinished alpha of a game where basically nothing was playtested so there's a real throwing poo poo at the wall feeling to figuring it out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

im pretty sure that means whoever they got running his twitter account after his brain melted in russia just wants to talk about wrestling
the 'article' is literally just quoting him from some podcast where he was like "i watched hitman hart and it explained faces and heels to me"

read some loving barthes, idiot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

That's just his daughter at this point, isn't it? Jorps has kind of been in Weekend At Bernie's territory for at least a year now. Oh, by the way his (or the person pretending to be him to keep his revenue stream going) response to realizing his ideology could be shoved in the mouth of Actual Nazi the Red Skull and no one batted an eye until it was pointed out was to lean in to the whole thing and decide that the Red Skull was actually right all along and is now selling HYDRA-themed merch on his store.

Because, yes, if you still follow or listen to anything (the barely breathing husk of) Dr. Lobsterman says at this point, you are probably an unapologetic bad person.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

TVD (The dev, old name) is weird and sucks but Age of Decadence is pretty good.

It's an amazing game with a ton of varied content depending on what you do. Most of the single class playthroughs are almost 100% different.

It's also complex and crunchy as gently caress though, and the combat is intensely difficult.

A "max content" guide for the game had several times where the writer said "if you don't knock them down in the first turn, quit and reload"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 1, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

pentyne posted:

It's also complex and crunchy as gently caress though, and the combat is intensely difficult.

I liked the game but those were the biggest issues for me. Unless you are reading a guide and can prepare accordingly, some of the later fights in the game are either unwinnable or require a lot of luck/save scumming.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If it was posted already forgive me, but a week ago Shaymay put out a pretty good video on the original Crash Bandicoot, how it differed so much than other 3D platformers of its time, and the crazy things it did technologically and art direction-wise to pull off it's signature style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzVfeIb5jvQ

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lotus Aura posted:

Drew Gooden watched 46 years worth of SNL the simplest way possible. By only watching 1 episode per season (mostly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjxX4gvaqk

Dug this one. Drew gets to the heart of the issue which is that SNL has always been a great breeding ground for talent, but putting on a weekly comedy show is hard and you're always going to get mixed results with a handful of outright bad seasons (with the sole saving grace being Eddie Murphy). But the blanket statement of "It hasn't been funny in 20 years" has never really been true, even when you think it is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

pentyne posted:

It's an amazing game with a ton of varied content depending on what you do. Most of the single class playthroughs are almost 100% different.

A "max content" guide for the game had several times where the writer said "if you don't knock them down in the first turn, quit and reload"

Yeah, I loved both playthroughs I've had in it, first time a dickish assassin and second time one of the more upright praetorian guard type guys, still need to do the Fallout spesh one of these days and word-fu through the whole game as a loremaster or one of the exchange/guild guys. However the game definitely is worth finding the console commands for, whether you wanna cheat a little outright or just use it to power through a bad spot you might've gotten locked into, like for the most part I got pretty lucky with arterial strike and the crit/ignores armor moves with my assassin, but then got stuck in one particular bit in maybe the late middle, to which I just threw my hands up and used the health command to scum through the fight, then after that I never actually felt like I needed to again, it's a roughly balanced game more than a few times if you're not a big kitted out guy.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 1, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ffPhdTk14

Yay, more Dinosaurs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

A mid-century science fiction franchise that’s continued to the present, reflecting changes in both popular concerns and methods of production? Doesn’t sound like anything I’d be into. Anyway, time to build another Gundam model.

Well I'm sorry for not using twitter. If you want me to keep up with your interests, maybe make that the regular focus of a podcast or something. All I remember is that you and your wife did theater because of the regular asides in Sex Archie about it. :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Babish had a new video, but I’m not posting it because odds are most of this channel is subbed to him. It was a nine million milestone episode.

The last milestone, eight million, was only seven months ago. That is crazy channel growth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean that's most Youtube channels these days I feel. It goes real slow for a long time and then it's just exponential growth.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

quote:

For some reason Jamie Faith keeps promoting the Twitch streams done by the mod of this subforum even though that's not what this thread is about.
it's a good thing she (infrequently) makes video essays! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXXP7yOKwxQ

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sorry sarah z i dunno if I can stomach 2 hours of discussion about the McElroy fandom lol

especially when half of it is "the mcelroys are cancelled because of benign bullshit no one outside of the most terminally online gives a gently caress about"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Literally every time I see "McElroys bad" stuff it's always something ridiculous like "HE DYED HIS HAIR COLORFUL WHICH IS STEALING GAY CULTURE", I genuinely don't think I've seen anything else, it feels like being a crazy person is required to get super up about them, that and a non-zero amount of poo poo stirrers who just hate them because usual brain poison right winger word salad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I still can't believe how aful a lot of people were about their latest season of their D&D podcast. Its not a healthy relationship with your 'fans' when fan favorite brother Justin uses the terms 'gently caress no' and 'poisoned chalice' when he was asked if he'd consider running the next season as DM.

Yeah i know i'm setting myself up for more Travis jokes lol i don't care Travis rules i wish my hair was as cool as that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Literally every time I see "McElroys bad" stuff it's always something ridiculous like "HE DYED HIS HAIR COLORFUL WHICH IS STEALING GAY CULTURE", I genuinely don't think I've seen anything else, it feels like being a crazy person is required to get super up about them, that and a non-zero amount of poo poo stirrers who just hate them because usual brain poison right winger word salad.
my understanding of the various mcelroy controversies

- travis tweeted once that if he was gay he'd date harry styles. this was deemed problematic
- justin said the word mukbang is weird to say. he apologized for it
- justin's wife and her sisters did not feel equipped enough to convert their podcast Still Buffering (a podcast about 3 sisters relating how technology and trends have changed across generations) into a Very Special Podcast about Racism. the community decided this made them racist
- the adventure zone's recent (not very good) campaign had a story arc involving centaurs that have been interpreted as 'native-coded' and so the player characters being disrespectful to them is a harmful allegory
- the facebook community for mbmbam bans discussion of some of the podcast's longest running in-jokes and infamous bits. "glass shark" is banned because of 'patois mocking'. justin talking about his diet is banned for 'fat shaming'. fidget spinners is banned for 'ableism' (your guess is as good as mine)
- justin tweeted a video of his wife going into a pseudo-science store claiming to sell an autism cure and giving the owner a piece of her mind. the internet decided that this was actually a hapless employee (despite people who lived in the area at the time saying he was the owner), and that justin was weird for filming it
- travis once told people not to troll him in among us. which is not problematic but people had a good cringe laugh at it
- the adventure zone fandom was mad that taako wasn't drawn as mexican in the graphic novel. because, you know, that would be great hispanic representation, a character named taako who is obsessed with making tacos!! great thinking adventure zone fandom!! they also believed blue skin was anti-Semitic (????)

i consider myself highly online which is how i can remember all of these. and if you're thinking "none of these seem like that big a deal compared to actual sexual predators, right-wing chuds and COVID conspiracy theorists"... this is just how bad fandoms get when they roam free and wild

it's just interesting for me to watch the behaviors of fandoms as they grow larger and less... regulated? i dunno what word to use. the rise and overobsession with homestuck, the rise and overobsession with undertale, the rise and overobsession with steven universe, the rise and overobsession with the mcelroys. i can't wait to see what's next!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 1, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea it was brothers with a popular podcast until the Among Us video made the rounds. I'd only known that brother as the "soy face" guy and assumed he was some random nameless guy channers or whoever glommed on to like the screaming lady at Trump's inauguration.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just know people who think they're annoying, which I'm inclined to agree with having only seen that amongus video.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The 7th Guest posted:

my understanding of the various mcelroy controversies

- Bean Dad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess that's adjacent, since they only used his theme song and then replaced it immediately after the Bean Incident (before that it was Take a Chance on Me by Abba and a Girl Talk tune at the end). i should also mention whenever bean dad played the theme live he sounded like someone who just started learning the guitar in a hurry in an attempt to save the rec center

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

sorry sarah z i dunno if I can stomach 2 hours of discussion about the McElroy fandom lol

especially when half of it is "the mcelroys are cancelled because of benign bullshit no one outside of the most terminally online gives a gently caress about"

I saw the title "How the internet turned on the McElroy Brothers" and my first thought was "it did?" It feels like you have to go looking for places where people are angry about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Travis thing, both the Harry Styles thing and the Among Us thing, is like, dumb and cringey but people extremely blew it out of proportion becasue there's a segment of people that want the good wholesome McElroys to have some really awful problematic poo poo dug up on them.

And really, it's not like they're saints. You listen back on their older episodes, they say stuff or make jokes they'd never make now. They've literally addressed them too and apologized for them. Their show is 10+ years old

Like I don't like using the term cancel culture cause it's pretty nonsense but it does sometimes seem like there are people just salivating at the thought of like a video coming out of Griffin saying the N word or something so the McElroys can finally be put down for good.