Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally got my first Cursed City mini painted, a grump old man wizard.

Could have done better, but I think the prospect of 60 minis is making me bounce between "Do a really detailed job on each because this cost a bunch" and "That's a lot of minis and you're slow painting, so just slap the paint on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished these three Valour Korps Abhumans!

edit: I also finished this plague doctor to act as a psyker for my Imperial Guard.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 29, 2021

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Working on a custom chapter after a few months of not painting.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Is there an "Identify this miniature for me" type thread somewhere in this forum, or would this be an okay place to put such a post? Because I've just bought a job lot of (mainly resin) miniature bases off ebay, and one of them is a plastic base with what appears to be a beet (as in the vegetable) modelled on it (and "steamforged games" on the bottom of the base, but they appear to be a board game manufacturer, and none of the games on their webstore seem to have 30mm round malifau/warmachine style bases, let alone one with a modeled beet) and I'm vaguely curious as to what I'm looking at here. Most of the other bases in the lot I can either identify what they are/what they are recasts of, or are generic enough I dont mind, but a giant beet modelled in the middle of a base does stand out.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

you gonna paint that?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SiKboy posted:

Is there an "Identify this miniature for me" type thread somewhere in this forum, or would this be an okay place to put such a post? Because I've just bought a job lot of (mainly resin) miniature bases off ebay, and one of them is a plastic base with what appears to be a beet (as in the vegetable) modelled on it (and "steamforged games" on the bottom of the base, but they appear to be a board game manufacturer, and none of the games on their webstore seem to have 30mm round malifau/warmachine style bases, let alone one with a modeled beet) and I'm vaguely curious as to what I'm looking at here. Most of the other bases in the lot I can either identify what they are/what they are recasts of, or are generic enough I dont mind, but a giant beet modelled in the middle of a base does stand out.

Is it the onion ball from the Guild Ball Farmer's Guild maybe? I think that's by steamforged.

*edit* or this ball from the Old Father's Harvest expansion?

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 30, 2021

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I should thin brush-on primer before using it, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Maigius posted:

Yes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Is it the onion ball from the Guild Ball Farmer's Guild maybe? I think that's by steamforged.

*edit* or this ball from the Old Father's Harvest expansion?

That is exactly what it is, thanks!

Ignite Memories posted:

you gonna paint that?

Possibly! Its a little conspicuous and odd for a basing element (and takes up a lot of its base) so I'll probably ask around and see if I know anyone who plays guildball who might have a use for it, but failing that... I do have some gremlin farmers and pigs on the pile of shame waiting to be painted, and it does seem appropriately rural...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Re: Zenithal priming - black all over, grey at a 45 degree angle, white from around 80 degrees (the spray facing the front of the model) is my default. I also like to make sure any faces/weapons/banners get the white regardless of angle so they pop.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm trying to get better at taking pictures with my phone camera so I had a school photo day for my space wolves. It's tricky and things still came out a little blurry. But I'm proud of these guys.

and how I set things up

Also shout out to my OG test paint model that I used as a test picture

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 30, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Not exactly a miniature but it's small and painted.

3d printed Ironman bust, I used Citadel Contrast Blood Angel Red and Iyanden Yellow over Valejo Metal Color Duraluminum basecoat. Other than some of the paint and primer peeling up when I removed the masking I'm pretty happy with it for a first print and paint.

On that topic does anyone have suggestions for priming resin 3d printed miniatures? Badgers Stynylres peeled off in a lot of spots.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did you let the finished print cure in UV light for some extra? I've heard that's often an issue and people will leave their stuff in a special box filled with aluminum foil and a UV light, or just leave them outside on a sunny day, to fully cure them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did you let the finished print cure in UV light for some extra? I've heard that's often an issue and people will leave their stuff in a special box filled with aluminum foil and a UV light, or just leave them outside on a sunny day, to fully cure them.

And if you aren't curing anything that big, a nail gel light is about $25 and puts out a lot of UV. Mine is a 4" wide 6" arch with lights on the underside. I put minis on foild, put the light over them and flip them every 10 minutes for most of an hour. Stuff gets cured as hell.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Maigius posted:

No.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I, too, have been painting a lot of Maker's Cult fine offbrand Imperial Guard. Painted two command squads, a special weapon squad, and three infantry guardsmen in a single batch.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Listen all ya'll it's a HH xpost:

Major Spag posted:

In the Middle of the Earth, in the land of Shire
Lives a brave little hobbit whom we all admire

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Geisladisk posted:

I, too, have been painting a lot of Maker's Cult fine offbrand Imperial Guard. Painted two command squads, a special weapon squad, and three infantry guardsmen in a single batch.

:hmmyes:

Love your scheme! They have a dark cyberpunk/anime future vibe to them that I really dig.

Here's everything I've painted this weekend!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

:hmmyes:

Love your scheme! They have a dark cyberpunk/anime future vibe to them that I really dig.

Here's everything I've painted this weekend!

i love these models are they only available through 3d printing?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hey guys, I'm really proud of these cloaks and I'm looking for critiques. I've been horrible at edge highlighting forever but I think I finally cracked the code here

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Made a herbalist for my sister. The water turned out more blue than planned but maybe it's just an old rock quarry or something :v:

e: aaaand I just realized I forgot to paint the hairband :doh:

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 31, 2021

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
Found a bit of free time and finished up the Sanguinary Guard squad. Overall i'm happy with how they came out except for maybe the wings, i think i overdid it a bit with the shade on the wings. Here's a group shot with some individuals of the four that i finished up today.

and here's the individuals, slowly getting better at painting them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Hey guys, I'm really proud of these cloaks and I'm looking for critiques. I've been horrible at edge highlighting forever but I think I finally cracked the code here

Nice job! I don't have anything to add really but they look good.

Winklebottom posted:

Made a herbalist for my sister. The water turned out more blue than planned but maybe it's just an old rock quarry or something :v:

e: aaaand I just realized I forgot to paint the hairband :doh:

Awesome! How did you do the water?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a7m2 posted:

Awesome! How did you do the water?

Thanks, it's Vallejo Still Water with a bit of Sotek Green in it, with a clear layer of Still Water on top.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Olaf Stoutbelly is ready to party and call up some storms.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Goofy question: why does tamiya extra thin smell exactly like nail polish?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's acetone based i believe

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

it's acetone based i believe

That makes a lot of sense. Combined with the applicator it seriously makes me feel like I'm giving space Marines a manicure

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

if youre doing it right, model assembly uses almost the exact same toolset as manicuring

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Deathwatch Primaris Captain from the Scythes of the Emperor Chapter!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a Deathwatch Primaris Captain from the Scythes of the Emperor Chapter!

How did you do the shell casings on the base? The whole thing looks awesome

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks!! The casings are cut from .40" diameter polystyrene rods. You can see in the third picture I forgot to paint the end of one shell before I stuck it to the base (since then I went back and painted it brass real quick!)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Latest Magnus update - model is more or less done, pending any touch ups that need to be done. Just have to start working on the base and this big boi will finally be complete.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I kinda want to call this Rustboi done, what do you think?

The armor didn't turn out like I wanted at all, so I just added More Rust. I'll do it different for his buddies. I'm fairly happy about the skin, first time I do an Orruk without using a wash. But for his boyz I'll go one step lighter on the skin, I feel like the contrast with the armor isn't big enough?

And yeah, I kinda hosed the eyes up. :smith:

E: And still got to paint the rim obviously.

Furism fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 1, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Does anyone have a good set of steps for faces in particular? i still suck at them real bad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

Does anyone have a good set of steps for faces in particular? i still suck at them real bad.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HhI2CFk

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Furism posted:

The armor didn't turn out like I wanted at all, so I just added More Rust. I'll do it different for his buddies. I'm fairly happy about the skin, first time I do an Orruk without using a wash. But for his boyz I'll go one step lighter on the skin, I feel like the contrast with the armor isn't big enough?

And yeah, I kinda hosed the eyes up. :smith:

E: And still got to paint the rim obviously.

This guy looks good, I dig the armor look and his skin is nice.
The heads on his belt are kinda lost against the armor, might want to give them a more contrasting color, and the feet are blending into the base, I would definitely do something that stands out more on the base.
Also I like his blue pants, all my orks wear blue pants.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Secret inside trade tip: you can just use nail polish remover to glue your minis for a fraction of the cost. Even those without acetone, as afaik it's the ethyl acetate that's doing the actual work. But I'm not a chemist so I can very well be wrong. Either way, you can also use the nail polish remover to get rid of paint stuck to metal minis when you're stripping second hand minis. Not on plastic though, as they'll melt.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Furism posted:

The armor didn't turn out like I wanted at all, so I just added More Rust.

The metal looks kind of backwards in places, like the silver is tarnishing the original rust-colour. Like on the sword the sharp bit would naturally have the rust knocked off where it's hitting things regularly (or being sharpened), while the thicker areas would stay rustier. While on the armour the edges would be where the rust is eating away most.