Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I mean I know how to dry brine and why, I just meant is it better to dry brine brisket overnight or just a few hours

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

This has a pretty good run down of dry brining: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/dry-brining-easier-and-less-wasteful-wet-brining/

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound, put it on and leave it in the fridge un covered for a few hours after cooking. It will do the same as a wet rub.

You mean before cooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

life is killing me posted:

I mean I know how to dry brine and why, I just meant is it better to dry brine brisket overnight or just a few hours

You mean before cooking?

Thats correct. The guy who wrote that article makes a pretty convincing case that putting on some salt (and the rest of your rub, but you can also put that on right before the meat goes on the grill too) just a few hours before does the same as wet brining for hours or overnight.

Also, the 1/2 teaspoon per pound should be all the salt you need.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Thats correct. The guy who wrote that article makes a pretty convincing case that putting on some salt (and the rest of your rub, but you can also put that on right before the meat goes on the grill too) just a few hours before does the same as wet brining for hours or overnight.

Also, the 1/2 teaspoon per pound should be all the salt you need.

I keep forgetting I have Meathead’s book, gently caress. He also says something similar

But, one thing about which I don’t remember him saying anything is spritzing the brisket every so often with like apple cider vinegar or whatever. What is the point of this? All I can figure is it helps with flavor or something because otherwise it feels like it would just make a stall last longer, so only works if you’re going to crutch it anyway?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 22, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Would you guys dry brine a brisket point overnight? Or would you dry brine it just a couple hours before tossing it in the smoker?

I've salted the night before as well as right before I light the charcoal and both have turned out fine. I try to do the night before now just so it's one less thing to do at 5 am, though I guess doing it right before is theoretically better for forming smoke rings since the surface doesn't dry out in the refrigerator at all.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I've salted the night before as well as right before I light the charcoal and both have turned out fine. I try to do the night before now just so it's one less thing to do at 5 am, though I guess doing it right before is theoretically better for forming smoke rings since the surface doesn't dry out in the refrigerator at all.

I rubbed it and just stuck it in the fridge. My point won’t take as long as I thought because it’s almost as flat as the...flat. I must have trimmed it too much so I hope the marbling can make up for it. I fear the ends will get crispy and overdone now. But I don’t plan on crutching it, and I do plan on resting in a faux cambro

ne: guess I can point wrap it, i.e. just wrap the ends in foil to encourage them to stay moist

e2: now that I think of it if I did crutch it, I could do Meathead’s method where he tosses it under the broiler for a few to crisp up the bark again.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 23, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I keep forgetting I have Meathead’s book, gently caress. He also says something similar

But, one thing about which I don’t remember him saying anything is spritzing the brisket every so often with like apple cider vinegar or whatever. What is the point of this? All I can figure is it helps with flavor or something because otherwise it feels like it would just make a stall last longer, so only works if you’re going to crutch it anyway?

His take on it is pretty much “doesn’t make a difference in flavor, does make the cooking take longer.”

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Kalman posted:

His take on it is pretty much “doesn’t make a difference in flavor, does make the cooking take longer.”

Sounds about right. I’ve never understood why people do that—especially if they know what a stall is and what causes it, then add more liquid to it throughout the cook

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sounds about right. I’ve never understood why people do that—especially if they know what a stall is and what causes it, then add more liquid to it throughout the cook

I think they do it to prevent it from drying out knowing they will crutch it later anyways? It doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Just dont trim so much fat off and itll be moist.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Anyone have experience with the Masterbuilt DualFuel (tmtm) propane/charcoal smoker?

I've been living in residential areas with only a balcony at my disposal for the last four years, so proper hot-smoking was never really an option for me during that time, and I instead chose to jury-rig kartons or cupboards with woodchip-coils and case-fans for cold-smoking.
I finally started shopping around for proper smoking-"cabinets" for cold-smoking, and came across this Masterbuilt model.

Admittedly, it's a bit huge for my purposes, but that's fine. It's got a pan in the bottom that goes over the propane burner, so that would be fine for my wood-chips even if I don't use gas, and if I do end up hooking up a bottle for some more obnoxious-but-still-somewhat-under-the-radar smoking in the summer, I have that option available.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers/products/pro-series-dual-fuel-smoker

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

I think they do it to prevent it from drying out knowing they will crutch it later anyways? It doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Just dont trim so much fat off and itll be moist.

Yeah ima end up crutching mine anyway and probably crisping up the bark under the broiler. Not sure I have time to let it power through. Although this one is probably as thin as the flat was, it’s not as thick as I thought it’d be so I must have hosed up somewhere when I separated the two.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Just threw my brisket point into my MES before I start really overthinking it. Just gonna get it to 150F and crutch it. Really looking forward to when it’s ready to eat, but for some reason I seem to wait for I smoke anything until a day I’ll be gone for at least two hours

e: wrapped it at like 155, maybe a little too early and not sure I wrapped it tightly enough or with enough foil (didn’t double up), but nevertheless the crutch is working so far. My thin-rear end piece of point is making me nervous that it’ll get done quicker but it’s been wrapped for an hour and gone up maybe 13F so maybe not? I just wanna make sure that if I leave now I won’t come back at see it at 210

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 23, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ZombieCrew posted:

I've only done one flat before so I don't know poo poo, but based on YouTube videos I've watched it seems to be for people who are cooking it hot and fast or who don't want to use the water pan for whatever reason. In both cases to keep it from drying out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I've only done one flat before so I don't know poo poo, but based on YouTube videos I've watched it seems to be for people who are cooking it hot and fast or who don't want to use the water pan for whatever reason. In both cases to keep it from drying out.

I mean I cooked mine today at 250 instead of 225, but it never got over cooked. I did put it in foil a little early like by 5F too early, but it’s holding in a cooler rn

Re: holding/faux cambro, how important is it to fill it with hot water and drain before holding the meat? I didn’t get a chance to do the water thing and I didn’t have a foil pan that would fit so I double wrapped it and put a towel below and above. I’m gonna toss it in the broil oven just before we are ready to eat to crisp up the bark but it didn’t have crazy bark to begin with when I wrapped it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've never heard of warming up the cooler with water before. Towels has always been the conventional wisdom I've seen shared.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I've never heard of warming up the cooler with water before. Towels has always been the conventional wisdom I've seen shared.

It didn’t need the water anyway. We were gone two hours and it was at 150F when we got home without the water. Not sure what the point of the water really is, but Meathead’s article on it said to pour hot water in there and leave for 30 min then drain it and add the cooked brisket to hold it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I don't think you literally fill it with hot water, but you can put hot water in bottles to preheat it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No reason that putting a bunch of hot water in it wouldn’t work though

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

It doesn’t seem to be needed. It went down (an average of) 20F per hour and 10 of that was probably just from me taking it out of the smoker and wrapping it up again to put in the cooler to begin with

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ive just put towels in a cooler with the meat. I dont think preheating it helps unless you're holding it for a long time. It does need to be an insulated container. A cambro isnt ideal, but use what you got.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I mean I’ve held a brisket in one of those soft-sided “insulated” bags with some towels and that worked fine. You can even throw it in the oven (with the oven off) if you don’t have anything better.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I mean the brisket turned out just fine, if not a tiny bit chewy. I probably could have let it go a little longer but I got paranoid after previously overcooking the flat and took this point out at 195. But the texture was a little more springy than I find ideal, even though it tasted excellent and was cuttable with a fork

But yeah I used a cooler and a couple of towels. I was gonna put it in a foil toaster pan but the pan was too large for the cooler and I said gently caress it, towels will be fine. I was racing to get it out of the smoker and into holding before we left the house so it would be ready whenever we were and not underdone or overdone

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doing some pork belly burnt ends for a family get together tomorrow. Planning to vac seal tonight and sous vide reheat tomorrow.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Did my Memorial Day weekend cook last night.

Beef ribs, jalapeno cheese sausages, grilled asparagus, creamed corn, and salad.

Smoked beef short ribs remain my absolute favorite BBQ dish.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

End result yesterday:

Tried a few to make sure they were good, which made it very hard to vac seal the rest away. I suspect they will be a huge hit later today.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

End result yesterday:

Tried a few to make sure they were good, which made it very hard to vac seal the rest away. I suspect they will be a huge hit later today.

I think you'll be a popular dude at the cookout.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The pork shoulder I smoked early last month is still amazing. In fact, it might be even better. Yesterday marks the third time my wife has simply said, “I want your pulled pork for dinner tomorrow,” out of nowhere. NGL, feels pretty good when you make a ton of meat for a bunch of people and they like it, and most of them outright ask to take some home with them and your wife just pulls some out of the freezer because she had the independent desire to eat some the next night.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

So do I get the 16inch, 5mm thick steel one (https://www.kookpunt.nl/cookspoint-classic-smoker-houtskoolbarbecue) or the 16 inch dual layer one (no thickness specified) https://www.rookoven.com/offset-smoker-16-inch.html?
I want to low and slow smoke pork shoulders for pulled pork, so less fire maintenance is better.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Keetron posted:

So do I get the 16inch, 5mm thick steel one (https://www.kookpunt.nl/cookspoint-classic-smoker-houtskoolbarbecue) or the 16 inch dual layer one (no thickness specified) https://www.rookoven.com/offset-smoker-16-inch.html?
I want to low and slow smoke pork shoulders for pulled pork, so less fire maintenance is better.

They don’t seem terribly different from each other. Both classic offset smokers it looks like, so I guess it comes down to which has better design on the thermal side, like, which holds temperature better/for the longest. If little difference, which one would look better in your yard

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Offset smokers are pretty much on the opposite end of "less fire maintenance". Looking at your options there, I'd say your least fire maintenance choice would be a ceramic kamado-type BBQ. You guys have a ceramic BBQ called The Bastard, which is all kinds of awesome.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you're definitely going with an offset then I'd choose the rookoven just based on the double layer grill and what appears to be a bigger firebox. I've only been using mine (Old Country Pecos, similar dimensions) for a year or so now but I've found being able to decide where in the box the fire is makes a big difference in managing temps in the cook chamber. Canuckistan is right though if managing a fire is not something you want to do then you should really look at a different style smoker.

M2tt fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 30, 2021

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

When your temp is dialed in around 225, about how long should it take for combustion to complete and your wood to start burning blue smoke? I am trying to gauge if I added too much wood or if I am just impatient. Ready to put my brisket on!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm cooking three racks of spares cooking at 250 right now and haven't ever bothered with crutching before but I'm kinda curious about trying it since I finally bought some butcher paper. Should I go with 2-1-1 method? I think I've always heard that 3-2-1 results in overly tender ribs

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm cooking three racks of spares cooking at 250 right now and haven't ever bothered with crutching before but I'm kinda curious about trying it since I finally bought some butcher paper. Should I go with 2-1-1 method? I think I've always heard that 3-2-1 results in overly tender ribs

I'm a big fan of 3-1-1, two hours of foil is def too much.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
What's a good thermometer that can monitor both the meat and the temp of the grill? I usually a couple of cheap Amazon probes but the one in my meat read 180 today and that meat pulled clean from the bone and was dry as hell

I don't mind paying for something good that will last a few seasons but I'm also smoking on a Weber kettle, so I'm inclined to go for the thermometer that only costs as much as the grill rather than the one that's 2-3x the price

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

BraveUlysses posted:

Last time I did 3-2-1 I thought the ribs were a little mushy.

Will try 4-1-1 next time or maybe 3-1-1 if that extra hour anywhere is was the problem is.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I preferred 2-2-1 over 3-2-1

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
For me I think two hours wrapped is just too much. Just my own preference though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just slam them 6 hours straight at 275 then start doing the bend test, but not a minute before. No crutching, no checking, no adding more wood.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Stalizard posted:

What's a good thermometer that can monitor both the meat and the temp of the grill? I usually a couple of cheap Amazon probes but the one in my meat read 180 today and that meat pulled clean from the bone and was dry as hell

I don't mind paying for something good that will last a few seasons but I'm also smoking on a Weber kettle, so I'm inclined to go for the thermometer that only costs as much as the grill rather than the one that's 2-3x the price

For a low budget solution, I would get a Thermoworks DOT and a couple different probes. You don't need a probe stuck in your meat when you start, so just leave an air temp probe hooked to it for the first few hours, then swap as needed. I more or less do this, or I leave the air probe on, and use a Thermapen to check temps as I go. They have a few multi-channel units, but only you can decide if the increase in price is worth it.
I can't speak to any other brands being any good. A few years ago I was gifted a Weber multi-channel thing, and it wasn't great, it was slow, made cheaply, and inaccurate. It was a first gen product though, so they may be better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Stalizard posted:

I'll recommend the Thermoworks Smoke. I used it on my Weber Kettle before getting a WSM too. It's been a great thermometer.

Wait for it to go on sale / sold as an open box item. I got mine open box and have had no issues whatsoever.