Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

thatguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-s9bHEfLjE

nate hills came out tuesday, did a vid reel for comba for the two downhills we built for the city we got open right now. I'm working on the third one, gonna be mostly flow with not much rock except at the top. That one may be ready by Memorial Day.

I wanna ride this! Looks really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Just dropping in to say the Kokopelli Trails are incredible, and I can’t believe it took me three Fruita trips to finally stop by.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

I wanna ride this! Looks really good

They are good. We rode them on Tuesday.

resident posted:

Just dropping in to say the Kokopelli Trails are incredible, and I can’t believe it took me three Fruita trips to finally stop by.

For sure. Good, good stuff.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The new Capra launch edition colorway is dope

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm such a dummy. I bought my bike in 2019 and have rode the poo poo out of it and have never really tried "trail" mode on the rear shock. Always left it in "open" after setting it up initially and thinking it was too firm for my supple taint. Thing is, I ride in SE MI so the trails here aren't crazy. Mostly XC but there's some fun and flowy bits out there. I took it out today after cleaning up everything in the drivetrain and hub then flipped the switch and goddamn I felt like I had lost 20 lbs and had infinite stamina.

PR'd an easy ~1hr loop trail by 1:30 and I'm not even in super good shape at this point this season. :feelsgood:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There is no better feeling than when you get a bike just "right" and start clicking off PRs with ease. Nice job!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Partial Octopus posted:

Sick Borderlands mod.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah my shock pretty much never sees "open." I even went with smaller volume spacers and more air pressure to give it more support. With the fork on the other hand I don't really like either open or trail. Open has like no LSC, trail is too harsh. One of these days I'll probably buy a fit4 damper for it (it's a fox 34 sc so grip or fit only).

Dialing in the finer details on that bike. Added a few titanium bolts and a different front axle to save a little weight and streamline things. Bottle cage, brake caliper, lever clamp is good for like 30g saving (which... yeah, is not much but I found some of them in our bolt bin so I'm only out about $20).

Have wheels possibly coming along with a cassette and tires and brake rotors so I can just swap between and XC and trail setup. We'll see if any of that shows up. I have a rear brake rotor and a rear tire and that's it so far. Currently the bike's a bit over 27.5 lbs. Carbon wheels, a fancy cassette, and 2 piece rotors should get it closer to 26 even, which is pretty decent for a 120mm FS bike with a dropper I think. Not XC race light, but acceptable.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 24, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm such a dummy. I bought my bike in 2019 and have rode the poo poo out of it and have never really tried "trail" mode on the rear shock. Always left it in "open" after setting it up initially and thinking it was too firm for my supple taint. Thing is, I ride in SE MI so the trails here aren't crazy. Mostly XC but there's some fun and flowy bits out there. I took it out today after cleaning up everything in the drivetrain and hub then flipped the switch and goddamn I felt like I had lost 20 lbs and had infinite stamina.

PR'd an easy ~1hr loop trail by 1:30 and I'm not even in super good shape at this point this season. :feelsgood:

Lol that's the second thing I did when I got my Fuel after setting the dropper height, you've been squish humping it down here since the Big Boy clinic? I hope you got use out of it elsewhere, been a bummer year for parks closing nearby but I'm looking forward to Marquette being a destination

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

jamal posted:

Yeah my shock pretty much never sees "open." I even went with smaller volume spacers and more air pressure to give it more support.

You haven't been able to tune it to your liking in open? Seems like leaving it in trail all the time, rather than tuning it so that you actually want to use open for descents is sort of wasting that ability...

I mean my trail bike has a grip2 on the fork so I kinda get the appeal of setting and forgetting, but for a more XC oriented bike it seems like a missed opportunity.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hmmm, I almost never use the "threshold" setting on my shock (a rockshox deluxe select+ on a spesh epic evo comp). Should I be? I only ever both flipping it over for real long fire road climbs.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

bicievino posted:

Hmmm, I almost never use the "threshold" setting on my shock (a rockshox deluxe select+ on a spesh epic evo comp). Should I be? I only ever both flipping it over for real long fire road climbs.

Im the same. I stay in open unless i am on pavement more or less.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I rented a Scott Genius with TwinLoc this past weekend in Grand Junction/Fruita and ended up using it a ton as I transitioned from gnarly downhill to technical climbs/XC to dirt roads. After a few hours it became second nature like using a dropper. Now I'm considering getting one when I upgrade from my 12 year old Trance later this year, and it's completely thrown me for a loop feeling like I NEED handlebar shock adjust.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

I put my topaz in the trail setting for extended smooth climbs, and locked out on the rare occasion that I'm on pavement for a while.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Lol that's the second thing I did when I got my Fuel after setting the dropper height, you've been squish humping it down here since the Big Boy clinic? I hope you got use out of it elsewhere, been a bummer year for parks closing nearby but I'm looking forward to Marquette being a destination

I literally tried it a bit in a parking lot before hitting the trail and was like "eh, too stiff" and never touched it again. :shepicide:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Steve French posted:

You haven't been able to tune it to your liking in open? Seems like leaving it in trail all the time, rather than tuning it so that you actually want to use open for descents is sort of wasting that ability...

I mean my trail bike has a grip2 on the fork so I kinda get the appeal of setting and forgetting, but for a more XC oriented bike it seems like a missed opportunity.

There's no low speed dial or open mode adjust on the shock (or fork) so trail is the only way to get any more compression force. I do open it fully on the right trails, like a rougher, extended descent, but most things around here are pretty smooth and the rear suspension feels pretty good just in trail. With the fork I do use open but wish I had a low speed dial. The last two weeks of xc racing I only went from closed to trail on the suspension and without remotes even that was too much to handle sometimes. There were some short sections that would have been nice to have some suspension and the dropper down but wound up on them rigid with the post up.

In contrast last fall when we did that big alpine ride I had the suspension in trail mode for basically all the climbing and rolling ridgeline riding, and then opened it up for the descent down to the road, and it was great all day.

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 25, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

The real question is did any of you watch the launch video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLClDXGzC2c

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

The real question is did any of you watch the launch video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLClDXGzC2c

I like Commencal's response

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Perfect response..

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Should the bearings in a bottom bracket make any sound? I've had a cracking/creaking going on so I stripped down everything to clean/relube. I noticed if I spin the cranks really quickly with my hand (like spinning a prize wheel,, no chain installed) the BB bearings seem to make buzzing sound.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 31, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nope. Press fit? How do the bearings feel when you turn them with your fingers?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

Nope. Press fit? How do the bearings feel when you turn them with your fingers?

Threaded GXP. Non-drive side rotates smoothly. Drive side is not smooth at all. Feels kind of gritty/jumpy. I'm guessing I'm better off just replacing the whole BB at this point since it's 3 years old. Thanks!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Anyone here have experience with trials around Whistler? I was just told I’m getting a two days of riding and an air bnb to stay at for a night without kid duty as a Father’s Day gift.

I’ll be riding solo so was maybe looking for any recommendations for a cool gravel/xc route for one day and then just something fun and super beginnerish maybe for another day. Riding alone plus the physical issues I’ve raised in here means I’m just going to try and ride something fun and beautiful but stay pretty conservative on pushing myself.

It will be on a weekend if that matters. And I live in the health region so the travel restrictions dont apply to me, but at the same time I don’t feel comfortable riding in a group of strangers and am trying to avoid crowds altogether.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nohearum posted:

Threaded GXP. Non-drive side rotates smoothly. Drive side is not smooth at all. Feels kind of gritty/jumpy. I'm guessing I'm better off just replacing the whole BB at this point since it's 3 years old. Thanks!

Shouldn’t be too expensive to replace btw. Maybe 20-30 bucks.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

Anyone here have experience with trials around Whistler? I was just told I’m getting a two days of riding and an air bnb to stay at for a night without kid duty as a Father’s Day gift.

I’ll be riding solo so was maybe looking for any recommendations for a cool gravel/xc route for one day and then just something fun and super beginnerish maybe for another day. Riding alone plus the physical issues I’ve raised in here means I’m just going to try and ride something fun and beautiful but stay pretty conservative on pushing myself.

It will be on a weekend if that matters. And I live in the health region so the travel restrictions dont apply to me, but at the same time I don’t feel comfortable riding in a group of strangers and am trying to avoid crowds altogether.

Whistler valley trails are pretty spread out, so you're not going to see a ton of people, even on the weekend. Anything rated green on Trailforks you should be good to ride in the saddle, though a lot of it is basically bike paths/gravel trail.
Blue trails have a huge variability in difficulty, most of them I think you would have a tough time on, but try the Lost Lake area. That's generally the most beginner friendly singletrack. Not sure about gravel ride options.

Edit: Rainbow-Sproatt flank is mostly a road or wide singletrack as far as I know. Might have some tough bits. Has some decent views though if you want to get up the mountains a bit but not hit anything super challenging. Can't guarantee anything as I haven't ridden the whole thing.

pinarello dogman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 2, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

pinarello dogman posted:

Whistler valley trails are pretty spread out, so you're not going to see a ton of people, even on the weekend. Anything rated green on Trailforks you should be good to ride in the saddle, though a lot of it is basically bike paths/gravel trail.
Blue trails have a huge variability in difficulty, most of them I think you would have a tough time on, but try the Lost Lake area. That's generally the most beginner friendly singletrack. Not sure about gravel ride options.

Edit: Rainbow-Sproatt flank is mostly a road or wide singletrack as far as I know. Might have some tough bits. Has some decent views though if you want to get up the mountains a bit but not hit anything super challenging. Can't guarantee anything as I haven't ridden the whole thing.

Thanks appreciate it (and quoting this so I can find it later this month when I go)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

what’s the best (presta) inflator/pump combo I can stick on my mountain bikecycle?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

evil_bunnY posted:

what’s the best (presta) inflator/pump combo I can stick on my mountain bikecycle?

I've got a Crank Brothers Gem. It works. You can flip a rubber seal around to do presta and schrader valves. It has a low and a high volume switch in the bottom of the pump, opposite of the valve. I'm not sure there's any "good" pump (or I haven't come across one) that is able to use such low chamber volume to quickly pump up your tire. They're all a bit of a ball-ache, but this one seems to work pretty well. :shrug:

https://www.amazon.com/CRANKBROTHER...22651833&sr=8-5

Edit: No pressure gage so get used to "feelin'" where you're at.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

I have only used it once so far, but have been impressed with the OneUp EDC pump.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

bicievino posted:

I have only used it once so far, but have been impressed with the OneUp EDC pump.

Same. I have the multi-tool and Plug and Pliers kit in mine, worked well for a friend's flat a couple months ago. I think you can also store CO2 cartridges in there as well but I've never had any luck with CO2 so skipped that bit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Tool-Presta-Schrader/dp/B00XLGKTY2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=probiketool+pump&qid=1622656222&sr=8-2

this thing is amazing. Used it on every bike for 3 years with no issue. The flexible hose makes it a million times better to use than most frame pumps and puts less stress on your stem. It also feels more efficient than others.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Another vote for the oneup pump and EDC combo. I also got one of their EDC straps recently to attach my tube to the frame and it is very nice and not expensive.

mashed fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 2, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you guys with the EDC pump not miss having an on-off valve on your inflator?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you guys with the EDC pump not miss having an on-off valve on your inflator?

For CO2? You can essentially get there by tightening the cartridge all the way down. You have to back it iff a quarter turn for it to work. That said, the mechanism on my PDW one is much nicer to use.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
:mario::mario::mario:

Tax Return Came In

Time to purchase the silly poo poo for the Karate Monkey build.

I'm going to build it with a SS quick conversion in mind as well.

(gratuitous extra: :mario:)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Tax Return Came In

Time to purchase the silly poo poo for the Karate Monkey build.

I'm going to build it with a SS quick conversion in mind as well.

(gratuitous extra: :mario:)

Nice.

I want to build a bike but am too annoyed with supply chain to deal with sourcing stuff. Maybe next year. My dropper is slowly dying and even finding a replacement is going to be tough.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suburban Dad posted:

Nice.

I want to build a bike but am too annoyed with supply chain to deal with sourcing stuff. Maybe next year. My dropper is slowly dying and even finding a replacement is going to be tough.

My crappy Taiwanese dropper exploded a week ago and usually I'd just replace, but considering the supply, I actually sat down and managed to get it working again. Kinda proud of myself, not gonna lie.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Eejit posted:

My crappy Taiwanese dropper exploded a week ago and usually I'd just replace, but considering the supply, I actually sat down and managed to get it working again. Kinda proud of myself, not gonna lie.

I've taken it apart and greased it a few times but the air chamber is sealed (not really serviceable) on it and it's getting a bit slow to return. Not much I can do but replace that part or the whole thing. In a bontrager which has pretty 'meh' reviews so I'd rather just replace it with something better.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suburban Dad posted:

I've taken it apart and greased it a few times but the air chamber is sealed (not really serviceable) on it and it's getting a bit slow to return. Not much I can do but replace that part or the whole thing. In a bontrager which has pretty 'meh' reviews so I'd rather just replace it with something better.

Oh yeah, I mean if the piston thingy is shot you're screwed. Didn't mean to say replacing wasn't a good idea in your case, just commiserating regarding the current parts shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

After spending 1-2 years with a broken reverb dropper which would randomly stop working/get stuck i can say just get a new dropper post. I can't believe i spent so long fighting a piece of crap instead of just buying a new one.

I got a PNW loam and it works great so far and the lever comes in pretty colours.