Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

ShowTime posted:

I can’t imagine how I’d be feeling right now if I was one of the people that purchased the $500 package.

Edit: Went through and read the thread from the beginning until right when COVID started and wow, I had no idea. I just started looking into the game because I’d heard about it before and honestly, because it was at the top of this forum. This thread is a pleasure to read armed with the most recent info from the last page or so. I even feel bad about what I said about the $500 version because it’s clear some people in this thread are among them.

I’ll finish the last 5-6 pages tomorrow when I’ve had some sleep. I wanna see what people say while the pandemic is raging.

Eh. To be fair. As someone who threw 475 at it during Kickstarter....

If you have 475$ to throw at something you want to believe in, generally speaking you have a disposable income and a salaried job.

Wife and I both have a salaried job.

We lose and gain more than $500 in our investment accounts every hour.

$500 for a chance at a few years of entertainment when I already have terminal cancer is fine to me.

Win some, lose some. Not like it's going with me.

I had over 1400 in star citizen....but got that poo poo refunded.

Either way all That being said the whole new situation is definitely....concerning.

It definitely shakes my confidence in the project.

Edit: big thumbs on mobile makes numbers hard.

Edit 2: new lazypeon video

https://youtu.be/tMTCICnb7-M

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ffycchi posted:

"But first, a quick reminder that on the 5th of June at 1pm UTC, my six animated NFTs will be up for auction on the world token marketplace."

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

30.5 Days posted:

"But first, a quick reminder that on the 5th of June at 1pm UTC, my six animated NFTs will be up for auction on the world token marketplace."

Lol

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

Eh. To be fair. As someone who threw 475 at it during Kickstarter....

If you have 475$ to throw at something you want to believe in, generally speaking you have a disposable income and a salaried job.

Wife and I both have a salaried job.

We lose and gain more than $500 in our investment accounts every hour.

$500 for a chance at a few years of entertainment when I already have terminal cancer is fine to me.

Win some, lose some. Not like it's going with me.

I had over 1400 in star citizen....but got that poo poo refunded.

Either way all That being said the whole new situation is definitely....concerning.

It definitely shakes my confidence in the project.

Edit: big thumbs on mobile makes numbers hard.

If Jeff Bezos threw five hundred bucks at a Kickstarter video game I would laugh at how much of a dumbass he is no need to tell us about your bank account lol

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Can LazyPeon play the genre that is designed to be played for a long time for more than a loving day? It's hard to take any of his videos seriously when he quits playing before the tutorial is even over because he's too stupid to upgrade his weapon or because he can't find anyone to play with because he's playing the wrong version of the game.

I know he means well but god drat he is the last person I'd want telling me if an MMO is good or not.

Shilling for referrals again. Thanks to all who have signed up already I appreciate it.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 1, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I remember when TheLazyPeon made this video ranting about how all MMOs suck and how he actually hates the genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2ttuyE1Rg

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah I have sponsorblock so I didn't even see that but Holy gently caress thats stupid.

Comrayn posted:

If Jeff Bezos threw five hundred bucks at a Kickstarter video game I would laugh at how much of a dumbass he is no need to tell us about your bank account lol

Jeff bezos has thrown billions at smedley of all people to run Amazon game studios...I don't think you could have picked a worse example if you tried.

Also it's not about my personal finances it's about wanting to believe in a mmo that will come out that will bring back that nostalgia from my childhood before I die of cancer. I'm willing to pay for that vOv

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember when TheLazyPeon made this video ranting about how all MMOs suck and how he actually hates the genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2ttuyE1Rg

Tbf he isn't wrong. The genre is poo poo right now.

hobocrunch posted:

Can LazyPeon play the genre that is designed to be played for a long time for more than a loving day?

I use him more of a litmus test of "is it even worth downloading to try" than a serious reviewer.

Generally his pros and cons seem to be pretty accurate, and his approach of "if I'm not interested after a day it's unlikely that I will be later" isn't far off from the market average.

I still say I'm cautiously optimistic about the game as a whole, but the lead game designer leaving is a concerning development.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 1, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ffycchi posted:

Tbf he isn't wrong. The genre is poo poo right now.

Would you call Final Fantasy XIV a 6 out of 10 game?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

hobocrunch posted:

Can LazyPeon play the genre that is designed to be played for a long time for more than a loving day? It's hard to take any of his videos seriously when he quits playing before the tutorial is even over because he's too stupid to upgrade his weapon or because he can't find anyone to play with because he's playing the wrong version of the game.

I know he means well but god drat he is the last person I'd want telling me if an MMO is good or not.

Shilling for referrals again. Thanks to all who have signed up already I appreciate it.

I was one of the ones that signed up because I thought it was for a key to get into the Alpha. I guess there is no way to try the game out other than to purchase it?

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Honestly id give it worse. I'm a pvper. For pve I've heard it's amazing. I just don't care about that side of the game.

I did try it. I got to level 30 something and just didn't enjoy the combat feel.

At the end of the day it's his opinion just like mine is my own.

Edit: did a doublequote

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

ShowTime posted:

I was one of the ones that signed up because I thought it was for a key to get into the Alpha. I guess there is no way to try the game out other than to purchase it?

Lmfao no, you don’t get anything. It’s just that if you buy cash shop currency your referee gets some small amount as well.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Hy_C posted:

Lmfao no, you don’t get anything. It’s just that if you buy cash shop currency your referee gets some small amount as well.

Yea, I didn't know that at the time. I was brand new to the thread.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

ShowTime posted:

Yea, I didn't know that at the time. I was brand new to the thread.

Oh, I wasn't trying to trick anyone. If it's any consolation I rarely have the money to buy cosmetics anyhow so I'm down for some free in-game currency.

quote:

Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm not saying there's not fun to be had but I give pretty much all of these PvE themeparks a 0/10 for being an MMORPG because for the most part they're just not anymore. People have somehow forgotten that most good stories have antagonists and the same thing goes for MMORPGs and it's players. Without the tools to give players the ability to create their own social dynamic that directly bounces off the MMORPGs gameplay, it's just failing at what it should be doing. I think that's why people love WoW classic so much- It's a very good split down the middle of all it's gametypes- PvE themepark, world, social, and PvP.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 2, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
FFXIV has some cool social stuff, in contrast to wow which has just fully embraced the idea that leveling and end game are two entirely different products & one of them is meant to be played alone. But also the FFXIV leveling experience loving sucks and the idea that FFXIV being mediocre is some kind of disqualifying opinion is ridiculous.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
FF14 has serious flaws. Like their hosed up levels - so the story is the main draw, but you have to put that on hold if you want to try a new class.

Nothing stops them from introducing new classes at the same level as their expansion so you can continue the MSQ, its all totally arbitrary

or hell even pulling something like Guild Wars where you hit level cap early on and 75% of the game is endgame and they balance everything around that

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
FFXIV is barely an mmo, some laggy bozja fights don’t change that

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Just wanted to +1 the LazyPeon comments, dude’s heart clearly isn’t in making MMO content anymore and it shows. Perfectly fine considering he’s clearly worked on himself a lot and with self-improvement sometimes your interests change, but with YouTube as his main source of income he needs to decide whether he wants to try something else (which he’s also made a video on I believe) or stop clearly half-assing his MMO stuff.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Pandaal posted:

Just wanted to +1 the LazyPeon comments, dude’s heart clearly isn’t in making MMO content anymore and it shows. Perfectly fine considering he’s clearly worked on himself a lot and with self-improvement sometimes your interests change, but with YouTube as his main source of income he needs to decide whether he wants to try something else (which he’s also made a video on I believe) or stop clearly half-assing his MMO stuff.

He actually looks rather interested in the ashes stuff.

I really don't blame him for not having his heart into he current mmo market, nor the mental health bits. but I do agree he needs to pick one.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Ffycchi posted:

He actually looks rather interested in the ashes stuff.

I really don't blame him for not having his heart into he current mmo market, nor the mental health bits. but I do agree he needs to pick one.

I'm not really flaming him. I just wish he'd recognize that he's not having fun.
Can he not just get a posse of dudes to play MMO's with him like say Russian Badger does for FPS stuff? It just seems like he's so depressed. I think it's fine to primarily play Solo in an MMO but at least play alongside friends. Having people to talk to about a game provides so much motivation.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

hobocrunch posted:

I'm not really flaming him. I just wish he'd recognize that he's not having fun.
Can he not just get a posse of dudes to play MMO's with him like say Russian Badger does for FPS stuff? It just seems like he's so depressed. I think it's fine to primarily play Solo in an MMO but at least play alongside friends. Having people to talk to about a game provides so much motivation.

I think he has actual issues, like some sort of depression or anxiety disorder tbh.

I know you're not flaming him I generally agree with you.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HWa8KFcYU

Reddit AMA.

Gwailar
Jun 21, 2021
I am a Stupid Newbie.

According to "the rules," I should lurk before I post.
Thus, I am lurking. I have lurked my way to this Post.

According to "the rules," before I reply, I should ask myself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"
Having asked myself that question, I once again answer in the affirmative.

My significant advice to you, Alexandre DeLarge, is still:
Shut up, Idiot.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Orv
May 4, 2011
What

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
idk but he posted the same thing in 4 other mmo threads

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean ADL is unequivocally a dumbass and a harbinger of failure but that seems extreme.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I can't not condone calling Alex De Large an idiot but registering for this site and necroing all his old threads (which it's doubtful he'll even read, he hasn't posted on this site in three fuckin years lmao) just makes you look like a bigger idiot

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
after seeing new posts in this thread and venturing in here to see what's up, i can't say i regret it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
who and why do we care

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It did make me think about this again and it's funny that it still hasn't come out.

Doubly so that Everquest Next never came out either.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Piss the off with making GBS threads on ADL. Yeah, the bloke's love for lovely MMOs is at this point an actual meme but insulting a guy for for reveling in the trash he loves is cringy AF and reeks of an insecure manbaby.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
everquest landmark was fun to screw around in for the 2.5 hours the servers were up and I had enough resources to build something of substance (I built a penis).

it felt rad at the time and I believed the new vision with player built assets funnelling into eq next, where they had roaming npcs that were dependant on dynamic quest chains and such.

Gwailar
Jun 21, 2021

Ad by Khad posted:

I can't not condone calling Alex De Large an idiot but registering for this site and necroing all his old threads (which it's doubtful he'll even read, he hasn't posted on this site in three fuckin years lmao) just makes you look like a bigger idiot

I don't disagree with your assessment of how this makes me look.

I came in blind expecting a trap.

My experience of Goons starts with EVE.
I have finally after some years been encouraged to make the leap into SA.

Xolve gave specific instructions regarding how to introduce myself. These I have followed to the letter expecting all the while to make myself look a fool.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Gwailar posted:

Xolve gave specific instructions regarding how to introduce myself. These I have followed to the letter expecting all the while to make myself look a fool.

You are not making yourself a fool. The first thing to join Goon's Swarm is to be able to take orders from commanding officers, even if they are strange or potentially dangerous. This will be extremely valuable in future flight missions.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I liked Landmark. Something about it was very soothing. Reminded me of the old Tribes 2 construction mod, just hanging out with people building things for no reason other than to build.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

randombattle posted:

It did make me think about this again and it's funny that it still hasn't come out.

Doubly so that Everquest Next never came out either.

EQ Next was full-blown cancelled (and I'm glad of it) but AoC has steadily grown a rabid fanbase of sandbox-mmo weenies desperate for a game that isn't poo poo

this game won't be good but they hold out hope

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Gwailar posted:

Fear not, Gwailar.

While others had to suffer as a result of your challenge; since I never really checked to see if ADL was still posting, and just assumed he was tumbling down the rabbit hole of yet another lovely MMO kickstarter, you delivered. Bravo.

tocooljim
Jan 6, 2009

Gwailar posted:

I am a Stupid Newbie.

According to "the rules," I should lurk before I post.
Thus, I am lurking. I have lurked my way to this Post.

According to "the rules," before I reply, I should ask myself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"
Having asked myself that question, I once again answer in the affirmative.

My significant advice to you, Alexandre DeLarge, is still:
Shut up, Idiot.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Free Gwailar!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have asked amnesty for Gwailar and for them to ban Xolve instead

If you needed more proof that Goonswarm is back, that should settle it. Join now and help us lure more J4G's over here

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Phlegmish posted:

I have asked amnesty for Gwailar and for them to ban Xolve instead

If you needed more proof that Goonswarm is back, that should settle it. Join now and help us lure more J4G's over here

Hey now, no less than 10 entire Goons found this whole stunt loving hilarious.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

You should have higher standards than that.