Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pookah posted:

Tom Waits pisses me off because I love Rain Dogs very much but I have exactly the wrong sort of voice to sing his stuff. I have no gruffness at all, so when I sing, it sounds ridiculously sugary. Big Black Mariah is my favourite track and I cannot even begin to sing it. Diamonds and gold has been my in-head background music for literally decades at this point. Fuckin hell, Cemetery Polka rules.

Tom Waits is very hard to sing. If you want to sing his tunes, just sing it in your own voice. He won't mind.

I sing "Coney Island Baby" in my normal voice and it works fine. Most others don't work.

It does help to be a baritone-bass, but you could sing tenor as well. Either way, it's the way you arrange it that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

mostlygray posted:

Tom Waits is very hard to sing. If you want to sing his tunes, just sing it in your own voice. He won't mind.

I sing "Coney Island Baby" in my normal voice and it works fine. Most others don't work.

It does help to be a baritone-bass, but you could sing tenor as well. Either way, it's the way you arrange it that matters.
I'm a contralto, is there a Waits song for that? Like imagine Karen Carpenter singing Tom Waits at a bad karaoke night. Genuinely looking for suggestions.

I've been listening to him all day at work because of this thread and you guys? I'm starting to get it. I like his percussion decisions, specifically. He really has a fabulous feel for when musical punctuation is needed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just going from instinct, but you could try Down in the Hole, or taking a grizzly ballad like Burma-Shave or Alice up an octave. Or Martha, that would work.

There's also a cover album subtitled Women Sing Waits but I've never listened, I imagine the Aimee Mann and Phoebe Bridgers covers are decent. And a Scarlet Johansson cover album which is not good.

My singing voice is somewhere in the Neil Young zone, but if I'm busting out the acoustic I might sing a lil Heart of Saturday Night, Jersey Girl, or Hold On

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 23:41 on May 27, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's also a cover album subtitled Women Sing Waits but I've never listened, I imagine the Aimee Mann and Phoebe Bridgers covers are decent. And a Scarlet Johansson cover album which is not good.
As a woman with a decent range tending lower, I find "Please Call Me, Baby" and "New Coat of Paint" satisfying to sing. Natalie Merchant did a cover of "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You" that's really quite lovely. Lots of songs on those first few albums, actually, that are more traditionally singable. And some later, too, of course.

gently caress, now I just want to blast some Waits on the stereo and sing along to all of it at the top of my lungs. My husband is very much not a fan, but that's never stopped me before.

e: My father has made it very clear that he wants "Step Right Up" at his funeral.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Your dad owns.

The changeup in Kentucky Avenue when you realise they're just kids and he's singing to a girl in a wheelchair is heartbreaking.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

For the second time in a couple of months I find myself recommending gun street girl. It’s a banger of a tune

https://youtu.be/l4XZWZ91kfc

Also little trip to heaven was my wedding song.

https://youtu.be/x6NfUKUwqtw

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 01:03 on May 28, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yes! It was on our wedding playlist, too. Beautiful.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hirayuki posted:

Yes! It was on our wedding playlist, too. Beautiful.

The bad thing about it being a Tom waits song is that it’s probably about a hooker but it’s a beautiful song.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just going from instinct, but you could try Down in the Hole, or taking a grizzly ballad like Burma-Shave or Alice up an octave. Or Martha, that would work.

My singing voice is somewhere in the Neil Young zone, but if I'm busting out the acoustic I might sing a lil Heart of Saturday Night, Jersey Girl, or Hold On

I liked the version of Time that Tori Amos did (which isn't from that album but you just reminded me of it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtythil5qwY

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AFewBricksShy posted:

Well poo poo. My boyfriend has been "singing" me this song every night since we got together. He's utterly tone deaf so he kinda just wails it so I'd never heard the tune. I had no idea he was a Waits fan.

This has been a really good day.

e: Texted him about this and he's devastated. "I don't even sound like Tom Waits when I sing? Is it worse than when I do Joe Cocker?" I didn't know he did Cocker either. He's so fabulous.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 01:52 on May 28, 2021

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

fizzymercury posted:

I'm a contralto, is there a Waits song for that? Like imagine Karen Carpenter singing Tom Waits at a bad karaoke night. Genuinely looking for suggestions.

I've been listening to him all day at work because of this thread and you guys? I'm starting to get it. I like his percussion decisions, specifically. He really has a fabulous feel for when musical punctuation is needed.

Honestly, I'd go go nuts with "Starving in the belly of a whale". Only because it doesn't work, it will work. It's fun to sing songs that don't match your voice and make them your own.

I sing Katy Perry stuff with my kid in baritone register and it works. Just drop two octaves and it's fun.

It's irritating because I'm not a bass, but I can swing it if I try. I can do baritone fine. Tenor is OK but it get's iffy at the top end. If I'm warmed up, I can do it. It's taken me decades of practice to hit top on tenor. My grandpa was a basso-profundo who could top out at the end of tenor. He showed me how to do it and just said keep practicing. It works but I sit best at Johnny Cash or Crash Test Dummies sort of things.

I really like singing "All about that bass" with my daughter. She does the high parts and I do a nifty drop from tenor to bass that works well. Tenor: "...all about that..." Bass: "Bass", daughter: "No treble".

Just play with your voice and the arrangement. Any song can be sung in any register if you re-arrange it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mostlygray posted:

That growling is legitimate technique and there is a right way to do it that won't destroy your voice.

You basically are incorporating your vestibular fold to create that raspy sound. Its used for metal "screaming" and Thuvan throat singing. Mechanically it's very similar to the use of vocal fry, but more. I first learned about it during a brief stint as a music major in college, but never actually learned the technique. I'm sure there are plenty of You Tube videos out there that can teach how to do it in a safe, non-damaging manner.

I mean if you want to. There is absolutely nothing wrong about singing any song in a manner that is comfortable for your voice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AFewBricksShy posted:

The bad thing about it being a Tom waits song is that it’s probably about a hooker but it’s a beautiful song.

Despite his greasy hardboiled wino image Waits has been married to the same woman for 40 years.

It might be about Bette Midler, they dated in the 70s.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FreudianSlippers posted:

Despite his greasy hardboiled wino image Waits has been married to the same woman for 40 years.

It might be about Bette Midler, they dated in the 70s.
Nah, she's married to one of the Kipper Kids

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now but in the 70s, I think around the time of Little Trip to Heaven she and Tom Waits were an item

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This movie was an underrated gem.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Down By Law is essential if you like to see Waits acting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i really like tom waits sad songs

https://vimeo.com/33803455

as for women's voices, neko case did a p good cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rywjD8Ak4w

still prefer the original tho... how do ya like that.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 04:03 on May 29, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just learned two things about bowling balls: first, they have multiple layers (this isn't much of a surprise to me), but also, the core can be quite irregular (which is).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

a kitten posted:

I just learned two things about bowling balls: first, they have multiple layers (this isn't much of a surprise to me), but also, the core can be quite irregular (which is).

That feels like a scheme to get rid of evidence from various crimes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a kitten posted:

Wtf :psyduck:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
*Makes bowling balls by filling them with scrap parts and random offcuts* I call this one The Enigma

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

That feels like a scheme to get rid of evidence from various crimes

checks out

e: Actually, with Mystery Men, we're right back to Tom Waits.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

a kitten posted:

checks out

And my regular reminder that this movie is great and an underappreciated gem

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Holy poo poo that's why that picture of him looked familiar :aaaaa:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Hygiene posted:

Holy poo poo that's why that picture of him looked familiar :aaaaa:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
De La Soul are only just in their 50s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Splendid posted:

De La Soul are only just in their 50s

Vincent Mason was only 18 when they released their debut studio album 3 Feet High and Rising (he turned 19 a few weeks later)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD_crXNhzKs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Likewise, Organized Konfusion released their debut a couple days before Pharoahe Monch turned 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0EWrnsbOY

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Steve Winwood was 14 when he joined the Spencer Davis Group and had just turned 18 when he recorded Gimme Some Lovin' with the band. He was nearly 40 when he put out "Higher Love."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My perception of what "old" is, especially for musicians, has sure changed a lot. I had pretty much the same reaction to this information as this guy

https://twitter.com/MattOswaltVA/status/1391205419289223169?s=19

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Vincent Mason was only 18 when they released their debut studio album 3 Feet High and Rising (he turned 19 a few weeks later)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD_crXNhzKs

What in the absolute gently caress

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think I just realised why I find it so annoying when my cat James meows at me for something, compared with my other cat Wolfgang. Besides how much more he does it, I mean.

I noticed that when Wolfgang meows, the pitch goes up at the end, not unlike an English speaker asking a question. With James, it's either flat or goes down at the end.

I wonder if I've been perceiving it as a demand, and Wolfgang's as a polite request?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I think your cat might just be an rear end in a top hat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

fizzymercury posted:

I think your cat might just be an rear end in a top hat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

I think your cat might just be a cat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fizzymercury posted:

I think your rear end in a top hat might just be a cat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a kitten posted:

My perception of what "old" is, especially for musicians, has sure changed a lot. I had pretty much the same reaction to this information as this guy

https://twitter.com/MattOswaltVA/status/1391205419289223169?s=19

I don't think Tom Petty is 37 anymore

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I always thought of Roy Oribison as on old man so I'm surprised to find out he died at 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All those rock music greats started out making all-time great music at crazily young ages that definitely don't make me feel like I've done nothing with my life, in no way at all, why would you even ask