Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah, I liked Shinn a lot in the series and thought he got the complete short end of the stick by the end but hoo boy does what happen to him pale in comparison to how cagalli gets treated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
In Zeta why does Haman sink her first battleship, Gwadan? It’s clearly premeditated, as Minerva is moved to another ship well before the battle, and just before it explodes someone tells Haman “it’s ready”. So she just blows up her enormous spaceship, at the time the largest and best armed vessel in the earth sphere?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Did it girlboss, gaslight, or gatekeep? if yes to any of these, it was an appropriate move

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, I liked Shinn a lot in the series and thought he got the complete short end of the stick by the end but hoo boy does what happen to him pale in comparison to how cagalli gets treated.

The good news is that this appears to be a pretty much largely universal opinion. I've never seen anything tackle Destiny in any language that didn't basically agree Cagalli got short shafted all the way down to stuff like the SRW games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

He was voiced by TM Revolution or some other pop star, so they had to kill him off pretty quick. Otherwise the entire budget would have gone on paying him, and the show would have had even more stock footage.

Celebrity gimmick VA's are just a terrible idea in general unless you can get them to commit to the whole project, Estelle as Garnet on Steven Universe and Tom Petty as Lucky on King of The Hill are two of the only times it's ever worked and again that's because they committed to the project(and both shows are full of examples of why it doesn't work otherwise)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Patrick Stewart killed it as the emperor in oblivion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Something was certainly killed. Preferably the voice director for Bethesda games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

It works fine when the guest role is brief if they're dead by the end of it, it's when their role ends but the possibility of them coming back is left open but will almost definitely never happen because of the unavailability of the guest VA(especially since they often seem to refuse the very concept of just having someone else voice the role instead), that's when it becomes terrible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, celebrity VAs and actors/actresses depend on the specific person. There's a whole ton of actors and especially actresses in anime for example who are idol singers (and in fact are usually in to promote something and sing the OP.) Likewise there's a lot of excellent celebrity voice actors who kick rear end with someone like Mark Hamill being a great example.

If you cast someone Just To Cast Someone it sucks but someone being a non-VA doesn't mean they also can't do good voice acting if they try.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Mass Effect had better examples with Seth Green as Joker, Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man or Carrie-Anne Moss as Aria.

Skyrim was the first Bethesda game with good voice-acting from what I saw. FO3 had its moments but I almost feel like that was in spite of the voice direction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For every Peter Dinklage phoned in performance you can get a Stephen Merchant Wheatley.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, celebrity VAs and actors/actresses depend on the specific person. There's a whole ton of actors and especially actresses in anime for example who are idol singers (and in fact are usually in to promote something and sing the OP.) Likewise there's a lot of excellent celebrity voice actors who kick rear end with someone like Mark Hamill being a great example.

If you cast someone Just To Cast Someone it sucks but someone being a non-VA doesn't mean they also can't do good voice acting if they try.

Mark Hamill probably isn't a great example because he is as much a voice actor as a live action one. You are right, though, there are plenty of celebrities that put in good voice performances. Just don't break your budget on a single role, Oblivion style (ok technically that was 2 roles but whatever).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You can see the whole range of good to bad performances in stunt casting in FNV. Benny is absolutely godawful, as are half of Veronica's lines and all of Raul's. Meanwhile Mr.House loving kills Every.Single.Line. Caeser is also better than I remember.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Mass Effect had better examples with Seth Green as Joker, Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man or Carrie-Anne Moss as Aria.

Skyrim was the first Bethesda game with good voice-acting from what I saw. FO3 had its moments but I almost feel like that was in spite of the voice direction.
I have no idea who those people are, but Dagoth Ur had great voice acting in his few lines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

You can see the whole range of good to bad performances in stunt casting in FNV. Benny is absolutely godawful, as are half of Veronica's lines and all of Raul's. Meanwhile Mr.House loving kills Every.Single.Line. Caeser is also better than I remember.

Most of the VAs in New Vegas are longtime character actors and pretty much all of them have done voiceover work beforehand. There's still a few celebrity voiceovers in the game like Kris Kristofferson but most of them are industry standbys like Liam O'Brian, Yuri Lowenthal or Jason Marsden.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Gaius Marius posted:

patrick stewart isnt exactly A-list. he's done a ton of american dad episodes and hasn't broken the bank

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ManSedan posted:

In Zeta why does Haman sink her first battleship, Gwadan? It’s clearly premeditated, as Minerva is moved to another ship well before the battle, and just before it explodes someone tells Haman “it’s ready”. So she just blows up her enormous spaceship, at the time the largest and best armed vessel in the earth sphere?

That was after the negotiations right? I think she was always planning on tanking the talks to go to war with a valid casus belli but didn't expect them to straight assassinate attempt her. In short she was trying to pull a USS Maine.

That might be wrong tho been a bit since I seen zeta

Relin posted:

patrick stewart isnt exactly A-list. he's done a ton of american dad episodes and hasn't broken the bank

He's an A lister in my heart

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most of the VAs in New Vegas are longtime character actors and pretty much all of them have done voiceover work beforehand. There's still a few celebrity voiceovers in the game like Kris Kristofferson but most of them are industry standbys like Liam O'Brian, Yuri Lowenthal or Jason Marsden.
Yeah but I'm talking about like the friends guyh and he is really bad

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 1, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Literally the only reason Matthew Perry is in the game is because Obsidian saw him talk about playing Fallout 3 on a talk show and asked if he'd like to be in New Vegas. He's not great but he's far from the worst celeb voicover.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mathew Perry was just fine as Benny. Everyone at the Tops talks like him. It's just how the Chairmen are written.

Because they're all cavepeople forced into suits a few years ago by a crazy billionaire who wants to reinvent 1950s Vegas in a post-apocalyptic world. So they have to play dress-up or be shot by robots.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

House is perfectly sane. He much like Char has also never betrayed anyone.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So it turns out that the SEED movie is the original one Morosawa was working on back in the day.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-05-31/gundam-seed-director-mitsuo-fukuda-confirms-film-is-sequel-to-destiny/.173440

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A little bit unfortunate, but nestled in that story is this one little line:

quote:

Eventually, she had over 100 drafts, but Fukuda confirmed the script is complete with the help of new contributors, including himself.

If there is a devil in the story it's in that little detail.

Odds of it being good are way down, but will still be interesting to see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

it's been awhile since I watched Destiny but I remember it being especially awkward because it seemed like he was going to be an important recurring character. And the show would've been improved by Heine being an important recurring character. So it feels less like a fun cameo by the guy who sings the OP and more like "Hey meet this new guy, a pilot loyal to Durandal but popular with the other troops who will be an important counterpoint to- oh poo poo the actor is going to go on tour and won't be able to record any dialogue for the next ten episodes so I guess we have to write him out of the show"
the funniest part of this is yzak has a subordinate who appears fairly frequently in background shots and you can see her mech in a few action scenes, but she's never given a line. the original plan was for nami tamaki, who sand op 3 and 4 of SEED, to voice her, but unlike tm revo, who was available for a few eps, tamaki couldn't find space to record her lines at all, so the character's plot importance got cut. ironically, this means she survived the entire show, despite appearing as early as yzak's introduction in the original SEED series.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 1, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Having just seen the Eclipse Gundam, and read the summary for SEED Eclipse, I'm left wondering: what in the blazing gently caress is this?

I mean, the Gundam itself is basically a self-insert for one of Fukuda's other shows. And the manga is about a "covert...disaster relief organization" (lol what) from everyone's favorite self insert faction Definitely-Not-Japan Orb.

It's like everyone involved looked at the worst parts of the writing in CE and thought "how can we make this dumber." And not even in the "entertainingly wacky" way that Astray went with. (Which I'm not a fan of really, but whatever)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"covert...disaster relief organization" (lol what)

I mean I am absolutely up for Thunderbirds Gundam. The grandfather of all time-filling launch sequences.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Having just seen the Eclipse Gundam, and read the summary for SEED Eclipse, I'm left wondering: what in the blazing gently caress is this?

I mean, the Gundam itself is basically a self-insert for one of Fukuda's other shows. And the manga is about a "covert...disaster relief organization" (lol what) from everyone's favorite self insert faction Definitely-Not-Japan Orb.

It's like everyone involved looked at the worst parts of the writing in CE and thought "how can we make this dumber." And not even in the "entertainingly wacky" way that Astray went with. (Which I'm not a fan of really, but whatever)

Apparently, they're basically International Rescue, but with a Gundam. I mean, since it's SEED, I don't think it actually will be any good, but I'll admit I have a place in my heart for a Gundam version of Thunderbirds, and Orb is the logical choice for a neutral organizing country for an international effort of this kind since, well, it's the Neutral Planet as a country.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Introducing Heine to kill him off a couple of episodes later is lame, Destiny.

It gave us this goofy scene so it was worth it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

Hiring Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean seems to have had pretty damaging effects on the rest of Oblivion's voice acting, given that despite being a hugely dialogue heavy game with a bazillion NPCs you can talk to, there's like 8-10 voice actors spread across every single one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Hiring Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean seems to have had pretty damaging effects on the rest of Oblivion's voice acting, given that despite being a hugely dialogue heavy game with a bazillion NPCs you can talk to, there's like 8-10 voice actors spread across every single one.

there's that one guy they use for nords and orcs and he's so loving bad

Burns
May 10, 2008

Kanos posted:

Yeah thats still something I laugh about. You'll have 2 characters with the same VA talking about mudcrabs and its memeable as hell but drat stupid. Self induced sloppiness is a staple of Bethedsa games.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

TBF, with how racist and insane CE is, being covert about something as benign as disaster relief makes kind of sense. I mean, if the people you want to rescue would shoot you if they knew you weren't the same race as them you might want to be a bit sneaky about it too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I got back on watching double zeta and Haman is still bae

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Best dressed space nazi around

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Bandai must think they're on to a winner if they're leading with an MG kit instead of an HG.

I just wish they'd eat their vegetables a bit with CE stuff and release more "regular" HGCE kits like the rest of the G Project Gundams, and maybe a JINN or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bandai must think they're on to a winner if they're leading with an MG kit instead of an HG.

I just wish they'd eat their vegetables a bit with CE stuff and release more "regular" HGCE kits like the rest of the G Project Gundams, and maybe a JINN or something.

I mean, they just released the Dagger L.

The thing with doing HGs of the regular kits is that it means they cut into the sales of the older HGCEs, which Bandai still makes and sells. Now, for an A-lister like Freedom or Destiny, the boost to sales from a decade plus of improved engineering easily justifies the expense, but spending a million plus on making a new mold for the Buster means making an argument that enough people would buy the new Buster to make more money than just running the old Buster again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, they just released the Dagger L.

The thing with doing HGs of the regular kits is that it means they cut into the sales of the older HGCEs, which Bandai still makes and sells. Now, for an A-lister like Freedom or Destiny, the boost to sales from a decade plus of improved engineering easily justifies the expense, but spending a million plus on making a new mold for the Buster means making an argument that enough people would buy the new Buster to make more money than just running the old Buster again.

I want an HGCE Buster Gundam, and that's all that matters! :goonsay:

Seriously though, I'm surprised they haven't done an HGCE Aegis Gundam at the very least just to apply modern Gunpla engineering techniques to something that transforms as extensively as it does. Especially with the HGBD:R Aegis Knight Gundam existing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want an HGCE Buster Gundam, and that's all that matters! :goonsay:

Seriously though, I'm surprised they haven't done an HGCE Aegis Gundam at the very least just to apply modern Gunpla engineering techniques to something that transforms as extensively as it does. Especially with the HGBD:R Aegis Knight Gundam existing.

I mean, there is a HG Buster. That's kind of the problem.

I think a modern Aegis is likely, given the Justice... but we still don't have a basic Kapool three years on from the Momokapool, so who knows?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What's funny is there's already some civilian-use MS in Astray, with Reporter Gundam and Hospital Zaku but Rescue Gundam seems way more weaponized.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

Rescue Gundam

poo poo, now I kinda want to see a Thunderbirds-style Gundam series of Rescue Mobile Suits :allears:.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The very first episode of Thunderbirds 2086 featured an O'Neill Cylinder so it's just destiny that Gundam gets in on the action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1R_3UWykzU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

No one mentioned how much branching there is in SRW and i'm sad I'm always seemingly choosing to leave the Bebop crew behind because I love Gundams in T.

I clearly don't know enough super robot poo poo for SRW but thats okay cause its all really loving cool and good.