Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Devor posted:

90,000 mg is 90 grams, but that's per kg of body weight

So if you way 100kg, that's 90*100 grams, or 9000 grams, which is 9L of water (I don't know the specific weight of LSD)

It’s also *purified* water, which doesn’t contain any dissolved minerals like sodium or calcium and so seeks to flow towards the higher concentration of those things in your cells. Including your neurons. Which is how water intoxication kills you: your brain swells up and the pressure starts killing your neurons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Phanatic posted:

It’s also *purified* water, which doesn’t contain any dissolved minerals like sodium or calcium and so seeks to flow towards the higher concentration of those things in your cells. Including your neurons. Which is how water intoxication kills you: your brain swells up and the pressure starts killing your neurons.

10 L of distilled water would cost $2.50 at a grocery store in my city.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

mycomancy posted:

How much for your neurons? I'm asking for a friend.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Talkc posted:

How much for your neurons? I'm asking for a friend.

You probably wouldn't want them, they're all poisoned from listening to podcasts and reading CSPAM

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/sdF0gc6.mp4

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
wow

what a glorious rear end in a top hat

that moment when he almost thinks twice and stops then does it anyway

that's either someone you never ever interact with ever again or you laugh it off cause he knows where you hid the bodies

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 1, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No that's just something buddies who are too comfortable around guns would do to each other. It's the equivalent of tagging someone in their balls while they try to drink a beer, but rednecks instead of bros. Beer is almost certainly involved, too.

If you can't bruise a friends' testicle, do you even have a friend?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
you're absolutely right, but really we were agreeing here the whole time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No that's just something buddies who are too comfortable around guns would do to each other.

This is the problem.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, not saying I keep up with the people I traded nutshots with over the years, but everyone knows an rear end in a top hat like that. Well, except maybe the mormons.

/\ that's the problem, alright, but you go ahead and explain that to them instead of laughing at their stupidity. Because it's still pretty drat funny. At some point, you can't save people from themselves, so just enjoy the show.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
everyone should know at least one rear end in a top hat like that, and if you're lucky maybe you'll all survive and stick together

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Maybe he should have had the safety on. His pal did him a favor, really.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Mimesweeper posted:

everyone should know at least one rear end in a top hat like that, and if you're lucky maybe you'll all survive and stick together

And to those that don't know someone like that: you're the rear end in a top hat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

everyone knows an rear end in a top hat like that. Well, except maybe the mormons.

q: when you go fishing with a mormon, how do you stop him from drinking all your beer?

a: invite another one

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i only ever met one mormon, we used to try to beat each other up with sticks and pvc pipes to see who was more powerful. so as far as i can tell mormons are alright

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Thank you drive through

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Most of the mormons I've known were while I was in the military. They were all pretty chill. When I was in a unit with a singular mormon, he was the only one, dude would drink coffee and proceed to do everything like Sheldon in the episode of big bang where he has a red bull.

I don't hold anything against them, lots of people believe in crazy poo poo, but when you tell a mormon no thank you, please take me off your list, they do it. For that, they can have Utah.

Sagebrush posted:

q: when you go fishing with a mormon, how do you stop him from drinking all your beer?

a: invite another one

Works for mountain dew, too.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
two mormons bike into a bar

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Every mormon I've know thought Jesus was going to return, like... within the month.

Next month would roll over, and they'd be all "Thought that was the one. BUT, this month, I can feel it. He's coming back this month. It's gonna happen, just you watch."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's been my experience with more baptist types than mormons.

There's also the evangelicals that are all about knocking over that building in Israel to build a temple that Jesus is just gonna disco Stu his way out of when the apocalypse starts.

I'll take mormons as neighbors all day.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
edit: eh, sounded funnier in my head

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's probably not the approved procedure for closing the overhead compartment but it should be.

https://i.imgur.com/jo7MjaS.mp4

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mycomancy posted:

Analysis-pure water is more about it being made in a clean and repeatable way, with routine testing and containers that don't leech anything that'd show up in the end result. Distilled water for batteries and the like may well be equally pure, but you pay more for the peace of mind (and the certification, which may be relevant).

But if you just want to commit suicide in a really baffling way, grocery store distilled should work fine.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Computer viking posted:

Analysis-pure water is more about it being made in a clean and repeatable way, with routine testing and containers that don't leech anything that'd show up in the end result. Distilled water for batteries and the like may well be equally pure, but you pay more for the peace of mind (and the certification, which may be relevant).

But if you just want to commit suicide in a really baffling way, grocery store distilled should work fine.

Ultra-pure water used for analysis in things like mass spectrometry is purer than distilled water. We had a sample prep robot that used water to drive the hydraulics for the sampling arm and we specifically had to used distilled water rather than the ultra-pure we would normally use. The ultra-pure water would leech out compounds from the plastic tubing and damage it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Computer viking posted:

I mean I could just roll into my research lab and connect a hose to the 18.2 megaohm water source, go out that way. It'd take a hot second to produce 10 L but I'd get the job done.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you drink ultrapure water, doesn't it enter your stomach and intestine and mix with tons of other stuff and become just 'kinda pure-ish' water before it can even enter the bloodstream and mix with all the crap in that? It certainly won't be ultra-pure by the time it manages to get to a neuron.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard of people drinking small amounts of the lab’s purest water on a dare or “just to see what would happen”.

They pretty much all claim to have felt funny but not become seriously ill. The bad feeling could just be psychosomatic. :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Lone Badger posted:

If you drink ultrapure water, doesn't it enter your stomach and intestine and mix with tons of other stuff and become just 'kinda pure-ish' water before it can even enter the bloodstream and mix with all the crap in that? It certainly won't be ultra-pure by the time it manages to get to a neuron.

No, it won't be ultra-pure by that point, but in becoming non-ultra-pure it is diluting your blood plasma, which now being diluted has a lower concentration of dissolved salts than the water inside the neurons and so will osmotically diffuse into them, causing brain swelling and increased intracranial pressure.

People literally die from this. Rarely, but it happens. The woman who participated in that radio show contest is only a single example, it's also been seen even with plain old bottled water at raves, when people on MDMA start drinking large amounts of water.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3769979/

quote:

There are over 25 reports of ecstasy-associated hyponatremic encephalopathy in the literature, and over half of them are fatalities...A variety of factors contribute to the development of ecstasy-associated hyponatremia, the two main factors being high fluid intake (associated with ecstasy use) and the inappropriate secretion of arginine vasopressin (AVP), which is induced by ecstasy metabolites. Ecstasy induces transient cardiovascular effects with markedly elevated body temperature, tachycardia, profuse sweating, hot flashes, dry mouth and increased thirst [9]. In response to these side effects, rave parties typically have ‘chill out’ areas where party goers have easy access to fluids in order to hydrate themselves as they feel compelled to do. Ecstasy has been demonstrated both in experimental models and in case reports to stimulate AVP secretion [16–18]. Ecstasy metabolites are known to increase the synaptic concentration of serotonin and dopamine, both of which are involved in the release of AVP and other pituitary hormones. Ecstasy ingestion has been demonstrated to increase the secretion of AVP, oxytocin, prolactin, ACTH and cortisol [17, 19]. The combination of high fluid intake with drug-induced SIADH affects place club goers at high risk of acute symptomatic hyponatremia.

Drinking a lot of water + taking a drug that makes you retain water = bad.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The Lone Badger posted:

That's why you need to drink a lot before it kills you.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard of people drinking small amounts of the lab’s purest water on a dare or “just to see what would happen”.

They pretty much all claim to have felt funny but not become seriously ill. The bad feeling could just be psychosomatic. :shrug:

Ultrapure water is weird to drink because it doesn't taste like anything, unlike other water which has flavors from dissolved minerals and gasses.

Fantastic hangover remedy though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Ultrapure water is weird to drink because it doesn't taste like anything, unlike other water which has flavors from dissolved minerals and gasses.

Fantastic hangover remedy though.

To treat dehydration you can't just use water, you need to have salt. That's why Pedialyte is such a popular hangover remedy. An IV of Ringer's is supposed to be a pretty good fix, too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

So you're saying when I drink 8 L of pepsi max in a row it might be... bad for me?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Flannelette posted:

So you're saying when I drink 8 L of pepsi max in a row it might be... bad for me?

Pepsi Max is isotonic, you'll just be super healthy/hydrated/immune to bullets.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Flannelette posted:

Dr. Pepper advises you switch to something with 23 flavors. For your health.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Phanatic posted:

To treat dehydration you can't just use water, you need to have salt. That's why Pedialyte is such a popular hangover remedy. An IV of Ringer's is supposed to be a pretty good fix, too.
One of the great medical advances in treating dysentery (or any such disease that causes dehydration) was teaching people to mix a bit of salt and sugar into a gallon of water and forcing it down the patient's throat.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Computer viking posted:

That'd have to be a decent way to ensure a life insurance payout, right?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ebola Dog posted:

Ultra-pure water used for analysis in things like mass spectrometry is purer than distilled water. We had a sample prep robot that used water to drive the hydraulics for the sampling arm and we specifically had to used distilled water rather than the ultra-pure we would normally use. The ultra-pure water would leech out compounds from the plastic tubing and damage it.

Yeah ultra-pure water should basically never be in direct contact with hardware in the lab, it is corrosive to metal and leeches out protective coatings etc. Which is almost never a good idea for sensitive equipment, be it in robots, incubators or for simple washing procedures.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm not sure how using distilled would help, though - fresh properly distilled water should have near enough zero minerals to be just as destructive as any other purified water.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Distilled water is often conductive, it has a surprising amount of minerals left because of mechanical problems with the process like boiling water being violent enough to throw around dust and water vapor turning into water coming into very intimate contact with any dust present in the column or condenser not unlike why rain isn't distilled water but obviously less mineralized do to the limited space compared to The Whole Sky.

Demineralized water will definitely not be conductive, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Where does RO fall into the water purification hierarchy?