Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's bonkers to me that a game like Ori 2, will all its instant-dearh sequences and traps and such, has an achievement for beating the game without dying.

I have broken brain syndrome and try to get as many trophies/cheevos as possible, but holy poo poo I can't imagine fighting a boss for a bit, going through a chase sequence, dying at the end of it because I took a wrong turn and having to start all the way from the beginning. Wild.

Game's still good, but yeah all those sequences are just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morpheus posted:

It's bonkers to me that a game like Ori 2, will all its instant-dearh sequences and traps and such, has an achievement for beating the game without dying.

I have broken brain syndrome and try to get as many trophies/cheevos as possible, but holy poo poo I can't imagine fighting a boss for a bit, going through a chase sequence, dying at the end of it because I took a wrong turn and having to start all the way from the beginning. Wild.

Game's still good, but yeah all those sequences are just dumb.

It's the same as the Mega Man 9 / 10 challenges. I'm half broke-brained in that I sort of feel like something's missing without having system-wide achievements, but "Beat the game without getting hit" is complete bullshit and I'd never bother. I can pass up achievements no problem, but I still wish they were there.

Speaking of, I actually love how Minecraft has handled them; at least on Bedrock edition. Some achievements unlock different wearable costumes for your character. I like that. Totally unnecessary for gameplay, but something to strive for, plus it's consistent across platforms.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ori's art style gets in the way sometimes. it's easy to miss important details cause its so busy looking. I die jumping on a platform and im like oh thats covered in spikes aparently huh?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mega Man 9 was at least attainable in that IIRC it was for beating the game without dying (and maybe another for no E-tanks) so you could take it one level at a time and just save after each successful level. If you played through the level 2-3 times it would usually be solvable. But requiring no hits at all is a bit much, you're basically requiring save scumming or whatever which isn't fun.

Elsewhere on the spectrum of trophies is Hollow Knight's "beat all 80 bosses in one go on hard difficulty" coliseum thing. That one went on my list of shame "never to be achieved" trophies along with Vanquish's final challenge and some of the hardest DMC stuff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can beat Mega Man 1 without getting hit. The truck is do Ice Man first, and get really good at the duplicating guts block glitch because you'll need to be able to do it to consistently beat CWU01P without taking a hit. You can do without it but it's loving dicey and you're so close to the end

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

twistedmentat posted:

I remembered Nintendo almost using not having Netflix or prime on the switch as a selling point, which made me assume there wasn't any video aps at all, but there's youtube.

How is the saga frontier remake? I never played it back in ps1, but I'd like a nice multi hour RPG for quarantine. Though I should be working on zekda but God drat every time my weapon breaks I just stop playing.

The remake is real fun but keep in mind that SaGa Frontier isn't a single 30-40 hour RPG, it's multiple short stories across many of the same regions with varying degrees of overlaps (and the Fuse has case files involving the other protagonists) and then some story-specific areas for each character. Also the best characters are Red and Asellus and the worst is Riki so don't play Riki's story first.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

Wouldn't Bluetooth connectivity suck for a lot of console games due to the latency and all the different possible codecs involved? I output via BT for the one phone game I play and the audio latency was huge with the basic SBC codec that's compatible with everything. Switching to AAC made it better but it's still there, and I can see it being annoying when playing a non-gacha game.

I can see console manufacturers not wanting to deal with all that by using their own proprietary codecs and protocols for QA reasons (if they choose to have it at all instead of offloading the functionality to a third party device), and saving licensing costs is just icing on the cake.

Bluetooth certainly is weird. I have three different bluetooth headphones in my home, all are pretty cheap (under $100). The absolute cheapest ones have zero lag, meaning if I watch a Youtube video, the lips sync perfectly. On the middle priced ones, the lag is almost a full second. On the most "expensive ones", the lag is somewhere in the middle. In our minivan if we use the car speakers, the lag is easily the worst (not that it matters that much for the car). There's no rhyme or reason behind it from what I can see.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Electromax posted:

Mega Man 9 was at least attainable in that IIRC it was for beating the game without dying (and maybe another for no E-tanks) so you could take it one level at a time and just save after each successful level. If you played through the level 2-3 times it would usually be solvable. But requiring no hits at all is a bit much, you're basically requiring save scumming or whatever which isn't fun.
The "Mr. Perfect" achievement in MM9 was beating the game without taking any damage. You could save between the normal levels, but you had to go through all four Wily levels in one go.

Getting through the normal levels was quite easy. There were only a few places in the Wily levels where RNG could gently caress you (Magma Man and Tornado Man in the boss rush, in particular). It was difficult, but could be done in a few days of trying.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The resetera Super Switch thread is a sight to behold. Just endless anxiety on when Nintendo is going to announce their new thing. Makes me glad this place still exists

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hatty posted:

resetera is a sight to behold. Just endless anxiety. Makes me glad this place still exists

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alan_Shore posted:

Did anyone ever get the A Train game? The demo was fun even if the performance wasn't the best (which will of course be solved by the Super Switch)

This got gobbled up by Virtual Boy chat. I picked up that game for my husband and he's been enthralled.

If you like traffic sim type games you'll probably love it! (Turn on the monthly auto-saves, though. Game is a bit crashy.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man, what a direct!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Junkie Disease posted:

Man, what a direct!

Who knew that would call it the Nintendo Switch Ultra 64?

Edit: because the new model has 64gb of memory built in :wow:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 1, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really wish the NES/SNES online had manuals, full box art, maybe leaderboards or something, I don't know.

Anything else.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a shame because the Wii/WiiU VC was really nice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Though the Wii/WiiU versions had no online or rewind

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone picked up Griftlands on Switch who can give me some initial thoughts? I'm intrigued because I'm watching Jorbs play it, so unless someone says the port is terrible I might pick it up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's amazing how everyone talking about games not in this forum whips themselves up into a loving frenzy over every rumor to the point they get really mad at companies for not delivering their commercials yet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's amazing how everyone talking about games not in this forum whips themselves up into a loving frenzy over every rumor to the point they get really mad at companies for not delivering their commercials yet

And then madder because the commercial isn't what they wanted

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

American McGay posted:

It's a shame because the Wii/WiiU VC was really nice.

This was back when most of the third party devs hadn’t realized they could make a fortune selling them on mobile at like $20 per game.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Watch Nintendo not announce anything at all just to spite people like they always do lol

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

Watch Nintendo not announce anything at all just to spite people like they always do lol

Nintendo is doomed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Was Nintendo ever real?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The real Mario was the friends we made along the way

-Gunpei Yokoi

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Al-Saqr posted:

Come on, this isn't true.

They'll have new on Mario Golf and maybe, if we're lucky, an Ubisoft babiez game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Who knew that would call it the Nintendo Switch Ultra 64?

Edit: because the new model has 64gb of memory built in :wow:

The brand new $200 NVidia Shield Pro still comes with 16gb of storage lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Bluetooth certainly is weird. I have three different bluetooth headphones in my home, all are pretty cheap (under $100). The absolute cheapest ones have zero lag, meaning if I watch a Youtube video, the lips sync perfectly. On the middle priced ones, the lag is almost a full second. On the most "expensive ones", the lag is somewhere in the middle. In our minivan if we use the car speakers, the lag is easily the worst (not that it matters that much for the car). There's no rhyme or reason behind it from what I can see.

Newer Bluetooth versions have latency compensation, video players like the YouTube app query how much delay there is on the active receiver and timeshift the video slightly to make it match the audio. My guess is your more expensive devices are older and don't support that feature.

That compensation doesn't work for real-time things like games though, for those you need an actually low latency codec like AptX-LL.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stay tuned later today for the launch of WarioCoin

P.S. Your Switch PRO+DXi will be mining WarioCoin 24/7 but they belong to Nintendo.

This offsets the unbelievable MSRP of only $69

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Stay tuned later today for the launch of WarioCoin

P.S. Your Switch PRO+DXi will be mining WarioCoin 24/7 but they belong to Nintendo.

This offsets the unbelievable MSRP of only $69

Cooking Mama walked so Wario could run

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Looking forward to playing all the great new games this month, like Mario Golf and

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Waffle! posted:

Looking forward to playing all the great new games this month, like Mario Golf and

Game builder garage!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Boner Garage Slammers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also the Legend of Mana remaster.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there was some surprise release or two announced during E3, like Collection of Mana a couple years ago or some solid indie title.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And teenage girl superhero squad

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Game builder garage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shv1vSie938

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Waffle! posted:

Legend of Mana

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

drat, GBG is tempting me right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Also the Legend of Mana remaster.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there was some surprise release or two announced during E3, like Collection of Mana a couple years ago or some solid indie title.

I really hope they just go all-in on the graphics update because as much as I would like the LoM remaster, it looks really bad with original sprites and updated backgrounds. It needs to be all or nothing. Run it through the process they used for the SaGa Frontier remaster's graphics update.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
A first party nintendo sports game is worth 2 first party titles from anyone else, tho.

I just want a new strikers but all those custom modes like speed golf look cool as hell so I’m not too angry. Unless it turns out like tennis then nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nuts and Gum posted:

A first party nintendo sports game is worth 2 first party titles from anyone else, tho.

I just want a new strikers but all those custom modes like speed golf look cool as hell so I’m not too angry. Unless it turns out like tennis then nm

Just give me Wii Sports Bowling on the Switch already.