Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

https://marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/8432/assortment-of-morons-rocket-raccoon-leadership-v1-0-2.0 This seems to be the recommended rocket leader ship deck. Every new guardian pack has a new ally, so you can run Groot, Gamora, Drax, Adam warlock with a house rule, and Yondu.

Except that would require me poaching Groot and Drax from my Gamora deck. Which, nah. I don’t want to make a rocket leadership that bad.

Also the deck linked isn’t a legal deck because Rocket can’t play Quincarrier. I’m more than willing to house rule when I think something is complete BS like Ronan (even then I managed to win without doing a houserule) but I always like
to stay within the rules of the game.

I might just see about revisiting an older character for a leadership build instead. I’ve got some ideas kicking around.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I found Star Lord really powerful and fun but you can't use his feature every turn. I almost only use it to play a Voltron ally (Iron Man and Yondu), Bad Boy, Nick Fury, or Mockingbird. Sometimes not even then, depends on my hand. Final round of play is of course exempt.

I just find that all of his cards are so high cost you end up using his ability almost every turn anyway.

Like, it’s super powerful I agree. I just don’t like how it really changes the pace of the game. My friend is thinking about a defence deck and he has some ideas I think might be cool. I’m glad he exists because I think the idea is awesome and I like that people like him, but he very much does not gel with my play style.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm picking up Star Lord's pack pretty much for Air Supremacy/Beta Ray Bill/the 3 Aerial card triplets for Thor. Dive Bomb, Ever Vigilant, and Agile Flight seem like such no brainers for a character who will constantly have the Aerial trait and will be able to just explode with 8-damage cards or shore up thwarting.

Probably will give Laser Blaster, Target Practice, and Blaze of Glory for the other Guardians characters. Drax/Gamora/Venom cards combined can just give me ally cards for Quill and the others and that will be my GotG teamwork deck. I have zero interest in getting the awful Galaxy box so I won't be getting Rocket/Groot ally cards, oh well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up the Galaxy box if anything to be a completionist, but after hearing about the extreme Ronan scenario I had to see it for myself. It is quite intimidating. They include two prebuilt decks in the box, surely they intended for it to be reasonable to beat the whole campaign with them? Seems unlikely from what I can see.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Fantasy flight includes pre-built decks to encourage you to get into the deck building, which requires you to buy more stuff.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Galaxy box is great. Groot and Rocket are a ton of fun. Most of the villains are neat in completely new ways.

The campaign mechanic is busted but so was Red Skull's campaign. Ronan is too hard but there are 4 other good scenarios usable in standalone.

All pre-made ffg decks are garbage outside the limited edition LotR starter and maybe the Arkham standalone investigators.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The galaxy box I would claim is still good. While Groot and Rocket aren’t amazing heroes they’re decent and the cards they add are pretty good, especially the Groot ally. The first 3 scenarios are really good and are worth the value itself. The 4th scenario isn’t great but is playable and it’s really just Ronan you can toss in the trash.

I don’t regret picking up the Star-Lord deck as those aerial cards are amazing. It was more just a realization of “oh, they added a bunch of leadership cards that work around having guardian allies but they didn’t really add a lot of guardian allies.”

The next cycle I think will be back to Avengers again, but doesn’t mean they can’t keep adding in guardian allies I’d hope.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
The leaks have been pretty spot on so far. So if they hold that means we'd see Valkyrie (Asgardian/Guardian?) War Machine (Shield/Avengers) and Vision (Avengers). We already know that Adam Warlock is Guardian/Mystic and Spectrum Avengers/Aerial. Are these the first 2 heroes with a non team related trait the actually have cards for them?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Black widow perfected “preparation”, but doesn’t have that trait. She got a some Spy though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I built a Spidey leadership deck with the idea of slapping on a ton of buffs to Yondu and Black Cat. So far solo? Works amazingly well. Near end game I usually have at least one out with honorary avenger, sky cycle, and inspired so I can do at least 4 damage consistently a turn. All 3 games I’ve played I’ve had both out when I won, usually doing 6-7 damage between the 2 of them. My other allies usually just help on thwart. Beta Ray Bill is nice because he punches like a truck and gets rid of threat when a minion comes out. In the meantime, Spidey just eats all the hits like a champ thanks to his super high natural defence. When I do have to flip Aunt May just wipes all the damage away.

Thwarting hasn’t been too big a problem, but if I was to face some of the more extreme villains (I did Klaw, Taskmaster, and Crossbones) I would probably partner him up with someone who can thwart a lot. Super fun deck.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/3/to-edge-of-the-earth/

FFG new release model

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I like how Marvel Champions is setup. Hero packs every month with sometimes a villain pack, and then a big box with heroes and villains. I’m a weirdo who doesn’t like to proxy and like to keep multiple decks built so I’ve bought multiple cards. If they were all in one big box and I wanted more of a certain specific card I’d have to buy an entire box again.

It’s a neat idea though, and definitely cuts down on their shipping costs I’d have to assume.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it wouldn't work for Champions but for a game like Arkham Horror that routinely sells out of like, part 2 and part 5 of a 6-part mythos cycle, it's a way better idea. Nothing was worse than getting a core box and then having like only half of the expansion packs, which would just zigzag in order depending on which random packs were unavailable. Never had trouble getting Champions stuff but Arkham only JUST restocked a lot of their content after a year of some cycles being rather extinct.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
You might still run into issues if people want the player cards more than the campaign stuff.

I was thinking how I'd like to see them release the FF. Make a box set with Silver Surfer and Nova(Frankie Raye) vs Galactus and hearlds Morg/Firelord/Terrax then individual packs for Reed, Sue, Johnny, Thing, Franklin and Valeria. I want Doom to have a special box set that allows you to play him as a hero and villain.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Like, at the same time?

Nebula is going to have a hero pack, so that’s going to set the stage for having a villain also be a hero. However with the current rules, you can’t use Nebula against her villain scenario.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Like, at the same time?

Nebula is going to have a hero pack, so that’s going to set the stage for having a villain also be a hero. However with the current rules, you can’t use Nebula against her villain scenario.

But with Doom it could make sense as you could claim the villain Doom is a Doombot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think you could sell the fantastic four, I don’t think people are going to buy their packs of their kids.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hall of Heroes has image of new promo kit for 2021 and it has alternate art of Valkyrie, Nebula, and War Machine so the list leak 100% correct.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I've been trying deck building in champions for the first time. I decided on She Hulk solely because I like the character. I decided on protection thinking it would be easy to build a simple stun lock deck just because she already had some stun effects in her kit, boy was I wrong. The number 1 problem I seem to be encountering has been just her lack of hand size. I feel like it would be more in character if her alter ego and hero side had the same hand size, but I'm not sure it would fix the problem.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The problem is She-Hulk sucks. Sorry. I really like her too, and really, really want her to work but she doesn’t. Protection isn’t super bad with her but you’d want a lot of cards to stand her back up because her kit relies on her being able to kneel to attack to do some damage.

The best aspect I was able to use with her was leadership because allies meant I could keep her up, and Maria Hill and a lot of cards to get her back meant I could get cards. She CAN be somewhat effective but it’s tough to make her effective especially when you can just grab almost any other hero and be that much more effective. Her abilities are good but her main cards just aren’t up to snuff.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

She Hulk wants to flip as often as possible for the bigger hand size and free damage. Protection likes to stay in hero form. I've had success running her in Justice. Under Surveillance and Counterintelligence make her game plan of letting the villain thwart a lot less risky.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

She-Hulk is like Hulk in that their Ally cards are way better representations of them, in utility and theme. So if you love those characters, put them in an Aggression deck.

I've seen Wasp ranked as one of the lowest in tier lists but I'm not sure why. Haven't played her but her cards seem pretty good?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Her abilities don’t have a natural synergy like Ant-man, who she was released with and will always be compared to. She has a lot of OK upgrades but none of them really roll together the way army of ants, giant strength, or “one damage/1 thwart on flip” do.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

She-Hulk is like Hulk in that their Ally cards are way better representations of them, in utility and theme. So if you love those characters, put them in an Aggression deck.

I've seen Wasp ranked as one of the lowest in tier lists but I'm not sure why. Haven't played her but her cards seem pretty good?

I put her fairly in the middle of my rankings, not bad, but not amazing.

Her upsides are that she can deal out reasonable damage and thwart. She really works well with cards that require you to change forms and her alter ego ability is amazing at cycling great cards back into your deck.

Her downside is that none of her upgrades give her amazing support like Ant-Man. Ant-Man’s helmet let’s him get extra cards and heal so he can stay hero mode way more and doesn’t need extra card draw from stuff like Avengers Mansion. Her helmet just gives a bit of better stats. The Wings were pretty terrible until aerial cards actually did something (the reduce one damage once a turn isn’t great), and the red training room is especially not great as retaliate for 2 or getting piercing isn’t great because it relies on you being a specific form to pull off the benefit.

I have a Justice build that works pretty well but overall I find she just lacks anything that gives her a huge boost. She’s generally as powerful as she’s going to be from turn 1 to turn 10, where other heroes will significantly ramp up. She’s good, but ultimately can be better.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone made a version of her were you swap between alter ego, regular, and tiny form, it’s a lot more fun. I forget exactly what the benefits are but you want to play cheap cheap cards in tiny.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I really like Wasp but as already mentioned her supports and upgrades are bad. Her events, base stats, and special abilities are all great though. She's really good if you pick an aspect that gives her good upgrades and supports while also having access to powerful science cards to shuffle back into her deck. She definitely wants the power in all of us alongside Nick Fury, Iron Heart, and neutral resource and card draw supports.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So there was a podcast interview with one of the designers and difficulty was brought up a couple times. It does seem like they really listened to the feedback, as apparently it was surprising about how polarizing the set was to them.

Apparently the playtesters all thought that if things were too hard, well, just swap out with an easier modular set, bam problem solved! Well then they found out a lot people don’t like that solution because you’re not actually playing the way the scenario was intended to play. Which, uh, makes sense. The difficulty of Ronan himself was never brought up which was a huge wasted opportunity and nothing about the amount of surging. Pretty lightweight interview all around. The designer stated that he thought a lot of people would be receptive to going back to defeat Ronan when more cards comes out that might help against certain villains.

They really, really overestimated how many people like the idea of “I will constantly lose to this villain” and at least from the sounds of it. They’re course correcting so it won’t happen again. However, I don’t think they really understand what went wrong with Ronan because it wasn’t the Modular set that made him a pain.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Surge has been misused since LotR, I'm not surprised they don't get it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The latest innsmouth conspiracy for Arkham has so few surges that it’s rare when they appear. And cards that give you extra encounter card specifically say “that card loses surge”.

There’s only one or two cards in the market they canceling counter cards anyway, so it’s not like that’s a solution. And if you’re bringing black widow along, she’s going to get chewed up by scenario three.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's good to know the Marvel Champions devs read the feedback and might take it to heart. It's still a fairly young game from the premier LCG company and probably has quite a few years on their roadmap. So, I'm glad they'll learn at least some things from GMW and tinker with it in a way that uses modular sets to increase the difficulty over simply making the base encounter sets crushingly difficult. At the end of the day, LCGs being extraordinarily modular (for both villain and hero decks) is what makes them so replayable and fun.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I just bought the LoTR Core set (having lots of fun with it so far, just built my first custom deck) and while I realize I’m way behind the times I am getting bewildered looks whenever I go into a game store asking about expansions. Either they only sell Magic and Pokemon or they have zero LoTR product. One store had Arkham Horror and another had some Marvel stuff. Am I better off trying a different game or is it worth hunting things down online?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At this point you're going to have to hunt stuff down online. FFG still regularly reprints most of the line, but many of the expansions and adventures are infamously difficult to get. I think it's absolutely worth it as it's a great game, BUT there's a non-zero chance that a second edition is on the horizon.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

LOTR has lotta expansions, but I found it a less satisfying games in marvel or Arkham. I think they’ve learned a lot more about game building for multiplayer, so I suggest you find something else to spend all that money on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah, LOTR's biggest appeal is the property, to be fair. It was their first (I think?) co-op LCG and it shows a lot -- compared to Arkham and Marvel it's complex and kinda creaky, but it's also really thematic and oozes atmosphere.

When I started playing Marvel I saw a lot of LOTR's DNA in it, and that game is fantastic. It's just neat to see how their formula has evolved over the years and it makes me optimistic for a second edition, since LOTR is by far my favorite of the three IP's... followed by Arkham, which isn't as similar to LOTR as Marvel is.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

How is Marvel for solo play? It would be nice to get into a game that’s still in its early life.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

McGurk posted:

How is Marvel for solo play? It would be nice to get into a game that’s still in its early life.

True solo play is not great. They even admitted that the most recent expansion is incredibly rough on true solo and that the preconstructed decks (Rocket’s in particular) has no way of winning during true solo. While they do try and make sure solo is possible. If you are fine with doing solo but playing as 2 heroes it will always be better. It usually will free you up for combos and give you breathing room on schemes.

Some like true solo more, but I’d definitely say you won’t experience the best the game has to offer that way.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I play a fair amount solo, the only game I really play solo. It's a bit more a straight forward puzzle compared to multiplayer but I enjoy it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

McGurk posted:

Champions is the only board game I've ever spent a fair amount of time playing solo. I also had LotR which some people like to play solitare either single o two- handed. I also have Mage Knight: The Board Game which is a great game that some people also really enjoy solo but I never got into despite loving the game itself.

Marvel Champions has the right amount of deck building and setup to make it quick to adjust and go back in. Obviously some heroes work better for solo play than others, but generally I think if you're just playing standard you have a fair amount of flexibility with your builds.

I haven't played in a month because we went into lockdown here and since 6 hours are now spent sitting at my table, my desire to sit there and play a board game at it has significantly diminished.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I went to the “good” game store in town finally and ended up grabbing Marvel Champions and the Hunt for Gollum Adventure Pack for LotR. I’m gonna wait on more LotR stuff until I see what the new release/re-release looks like. Although, if I cave the shop had all of the expansions and a lot of the Adventure Packs.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 13, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

McGurk posted:

I love playing it solo, though by that I mean "a hand of controlling two heroes" since playing with just one, even by yourself, is really fuckin miserable imo. It's perfectly fine to play that way, though going above 2 heroes is an insane proposition, as I can't imagine how rough it'd be tracking 3 or god forbid 4 on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just got Star-Lord (accidentally thrice), and I am ecstatic so see cards keying off of aerial.