Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Where does RO fall into the water purification hierarchy?
Reverse osmosis removes minerals less thoroughly than distillation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/19nFb0x.mp4

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:stare:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I imagine having kids is like being that bear

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

People get really protective about their dogs. When I was living in Alaska I read an article about a lady who let her dachshund out in the yard and heard a yipe. She looks out and a bear has her dog in it's mouth. So she runs up to it, punches the bear in the nose, it drops the dog and she goes back inside.

Her reaction a little later was "oh my god I don't know why I did that"

Found it: Woman punches bear

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 1, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Don’t forget the guy whose dog jumped into a hot spring at Yellowstone and whose friend jumped in to retrieve it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wider shot with audio

https://www.tiktok.com/@bakedlikepie/video/6968688530964892934

Her finger is in a splint now. Just a sprain.

https://www.tiktok.com/@bakedlikepie/video/6968781287888932101

Phanatic posted:

Don’t forget the guy whose dog jumped into a hot spring at Yellowstone and whose friend jumped in to retrieve it.

The dog’s name was “Moosie”. It’s the opening case in Death in Yellowstone. Hell of a way to go.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 1, 2021

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Phanatic posted:

Don't look this up if you don't want to be sad

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic posted:

dogs rule, but I ain't jumping in a geyser over it.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

For both the Mormon and dehydration chat, something rather OSHA (and speaking as an exmormon, harmful practice among many others) is an annual event held for youth called Trek. It's role playing the 1800s pioneers pulling handcarts in the middle of Summer often in Central US States.

Kids aged 14 to 18 are taken to a remote area, given recreations of the clothes and carts they used, and are sent on a multiday trip. The kids would be split up into "families" assigned "parents" from a couple of adult leaders. Some would be selected to "die" and thin out the families and increase their appreciation for the difficulty the pioneers faced. Towards the end there would be a "women's pull" where the men were to stand by, usually by some big hill or rough area, to symbolize how many men died and women had to carry on by themselves. It was supposed to be an emotional pinnacle to bring everyone back together in gratitude for each other but from most stories it just made the women hate the men more!

They're supposed to be shadowed by adults with full, modern supplies and medical aid. In stories I've heard over the years, though, that often wasn't the case. Many got quite sick, some taken to hospital, and a few years back a 29 year old woman died from heat exhaustion.

By the way, this is all volunteer, too, and usually each kid had to pay some amount to contribute to food and transportation costs. Pretty much all involved are non-paid youth or local congregation leaders and rarely any actual expert on the things involved. The cart and clothes are made by a neighbor down the street. I never went on it when very involved in my youth, so I'm grateful I missed out (although I would have really been into it at the time).

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jun/22/arkansan-dies-while-pioneer-reenactment-trek-mormo/

quote:

An Arkansan participating in a pioneer trek re-enactment in northeast Oklahoma with youth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is believed to have died of a heatstroke earlier this week, church officials said.
Meaghan Blair, 29, was joined by her husband, Michael Blair, as a “ma and pa couple” on the Mormon youth trek near Pawhuska, Okla., when she became ill about 6.5 miles into their 7-mile journey Monday, according to a family statement.

Blair, a member of the Rogers stake, was then taken by ATV to a medical tent and treated on-site by a doctor and registered nurses. Seizures during treatment later prompted her to be transported by helicopter to a hospital in Tulsa, about 55 miles southeast of Pawhuska, the family said.
According to the statement, Blair was pronounced dead at 1:15 a.m. Tuesday at the hospital.

"Careful planning went into the event and specific plans were made to cope with the anticipated hot weather," the family's statement reads in part.
Temperatures in the area reached the mid-90s that day, according to the National Weather Service.

The neighboring Bentonville stake said in a statement on its Facebook page that Blair was "afflicted with what appears to be a heatstroke and was life-flighted to Tulsa." A cause of death has not been confirmed, Blair's family said.
Deborah Neria, spokesman for the Rogers stake, called her death a "heartbreaking loss for her family and all who knew her."

Blair's father, Brad Querry, said in a statement posted early Tuesday that he was appreciative of “all of the expressions of sympathy and prayers” and "support and kindness over these last few hours."
“She lived an epic life of cheerful devotion to Mike and the kids,” Querry said, referencing Blair's two young children.

In a manual, the Mormon church lists the role of a "ma and pa couple" as adults who "help set the tone of spirituality and unity that is essential in making the trek successful."
Those participating in the treks, which re-enact the journey Mormon pioneers took west across the Plains to Utah in the 19th century, are advised to check weather conditions and take water breaks every 20 to 30 minutes.

Here are some quotes from an exmormon group (A Stake, lead by a Stake President, is a regional area consisting of about 5 local congregations called Wards. Wards, lead by a Bishop, were usually about 50 to 100 families. A Stake would host a Trek year every now and then and youth from the surrounding Wards would join in.):

quote:

When we had a trek a bunch of years ago the stake next to ours provided some advice based on their experience. Their first bit of advice was NO baby dolls (they used a sack of flour). Some smart-rear end kid reminded his "family" that lots of babies died on the real pioneer trek so they could pretend theirs died and none of them would have to carry that drat sack of flour. So they had a death and then pulled over and held a funeral. The Ma and Pa were helpless to stop it because, well, the kids were playing it straight-faced.

Sure enough, every handcart family then got the "disease" and all the babies died. The teens had succeeded in turning the whole thing into a joke, god bless their devious little minds!

quote:

My sister had a baby less than a month before trek. They tried to make her and her husband a ma and pa couple. She reminded them of the baby situation and they told her to just bring it along. Plenty of pioneer women had babies on the trail.

quote:

In my parents' stake, somebody screwed up the water truck scheduling, so the whole group was stuck without water resupply for two days in the middle of nowhere during the hottest summer in years. They couldn't call anybody about it because they were out in the mountains. Luckily they still had some water with them, so nobody died or suffered heat injuries, but it could have gone very differently. This is the price of incompetence.

quote:

We had sweltering heat, during the trek. Youth were passing out and delirious from the heat, but everyone kept pushing forward. Youth were literally being taken away in ambulances, but everyone persevered, carrying sacks of potatoes to represent carrying your children. How incredibly stupid.

quote:

I was "killed" because I was taking on too much responsibility and female. My “mother” had gotten actual food poisoning, and my “father” was on cooking staff so he got to ride in the car from point a to point b. I took over with my “siblings” since I was oldest and more of a natural leader than the rest of them. I guess the stake leaders wanted to see my “family” struggle when their only support system was cut off. So the leader dressed in a fairy headband labeled the Angel of Death came for Me, told me my “siblings” were taking me for granted, and for about two hours and I had to ride in an uncovered trailer in the Texas heat. They revived me just in time for the women’s pull. I would also love to add that the section of trail the women had to pull alone, was the WORST part of the entire trek with big hills and steep dirt ruts. Oh and it started pouring down rain as we pulled into camp that night so there was mud everywhere and all the tents the men had set up while waiting for us, flooded. Boy Scout trained young men didn’t have the drat common sense to put rain tarps on because “the tents would have been too hot without air flow” and “it didn’t look like rain”. I also just loved struggling to pull the carts up the last wildly steep and now slippery with mud hill while the young men got to watch us struggle. Rest assured, they were singing Called to Serve as we approached and of course that gave us super strength./s My clothing was soaked and muddy so I didn’t even bother with wearing my pioneer clothes the last day of the trek. I rolled up my “bloomers” as high as I could as a gently caress you to the leadership.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 1, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

who wants a scoop

Just reminded me of this classic, nerd.gif from United Nuclear (Sidenote: wow that site has not changed at all in the last decade):

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I love that gif and made this for the COVID thread earlier this year.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

"Bring your three-week-old infant along with you! Oopsie we ran out of water!" :stonk:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Now in glorious widescreen for more action!

https://i.imgur.com/8LPK42r.mp4

The bear had little cubs but they're invading the doggos' house so gently caress em

edit: you can also see another dog running out to investigate what fell in their yard lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Mormons recreating the handcart disaster.

And let's be honest, if they hadn't taken over Utah wholesale, there'd just be an endless string of Illinois incidents wiping them out because evangelical christians are literally batshit insane compared to the mormons and can't help but murder people they disagree with.

Crazy as the mormons are, I'd still take them as neighbors over every other crazy christian sect.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And let's be honest, if they hadn't taken over Utah wholesale, there'd just be an endless string of Illinois incidents wiping them out because evangelical christians are literally batshit insane compared to the mormons and can't help but murder people they disagree with.

Crazy as the mormons are, I'd still take them as neighbors over every other crazy christian sect.

Could I have neither? Protestantism is a poisonous religion and outlook.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mycomancy posted:

Scalding take

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Have you heard about Mountain Meadows?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Missouri’s governor literally executed order 66 44.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Extermination_Order

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Speaking of water intoxication, I really like the (sort of unintuitive) treatment for it. 2% saline solution IV. Increases the salinity of blood to the point that the water in the cells is drawn out of them and into the bloodstream. Kind of odd that the treatment for too much water is more water.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Marcade posted:

Speaking of water intoxication, I really like the (sort of unintuitive) treatment for it. 2% saline solution IV. Increases the salinity of blood to the point that the water in the cells is drawn out of them and into the bloodstream. Kind of odd that the treatment for too much water is more water.

So you're saying :ironicat: was right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Marcade posted:

The treatment for methanol overdose is intravenous ethanol.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Could i just chug a tube of Morton's table salt instead?

E: let's say i hypothetically drank too much water and then chugged half a tube of Morton's. I should be fine right?

Need an answer quickly. No reason haha

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 1, 2021

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Well I certainly wouldn't stop you. To each their own.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

E: let's say i hypothetically drank too much water and then chugged half a tube of Morton's. I should be fine right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uvQRTCdYA

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just add some nitrates and you're cured.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just add some nitrates and you're cured.

:discourse:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Throwing up from the salt would say least probably get some water out of your stomach.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I can’t imagine drinking that much water at once.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mycomancy posted:

That's called a fantasy land. It doesn't exist in the US.

Not like catholicism is any better, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Byzantine posted:

Missouri’s governor literally executed order 66 44.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Extermination_Order

I like that they left it on the books for 140 years

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"So, uh, then the angel came and gave me these special lenses, with which I could decipher these mysterious texts as long as I had a blanket over my head so nobody could see. And the angel's name was.... Moroni? You guys buying this? OK great!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mozi posted:

"So, uh, then the angel came and gave me these special lenses, with which I could decipher these mysterious texts as long as I had a blanket over my head so nobody could see. And the angel's name was.... Moroni? You guys buying this? OK great!"

Gullibility is a part of human nature. Plenty of European idiots made the migration to Utah, also, so it's not even an explicitly American thing.

But thanks for the walk down South Park road. Been a while since I saw that episode. DUM DUM DUMM DUMM DUMB.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Uncle Enzo posted:

People get really protective about their dogs. When I was living in Alaska I read an article about a lady who let her dachshund out in the yard and heard a yipe. She looks out and a bear has her dog in it's mouth. So she runs up to it, punches the bear in the nose, it drops the dog and she goes back inside.

Her reaction a little later was "oh my god I don't know why I did that"

Found it: Woman punches bear

One time I was out walking my dog at 2am. There was this big tree hiding the sidewalk corner that you turned into to walk up to my apartment, and as I turned that corner, I came face to face with a big-rear end buck. It froze, I froze, my dog froze... then my dog started growling and raising his hackles. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remembered that deer commonly stomp dogs to death. The buck raised one of its feet and I just... without thinking, punched it in the nose, as hard as I possibly could. That broke the trance, and the buck belted off into the woods and my dog started barking like crazy until it was out of sight.

I was pretty shaken up about because afterwards it hit me how close I came to getting gored or something, but I'd do that poo poo again in a heartbeat.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’re caught up against a wild animal, bopping it on its nose is usually not a bad idea. That poo poo hurts.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Jesus christ that was a bad one. :negative:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Charles C. Ebbets, the photographer behind this picture:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Kith posted:

That's so much cooler than the more famous pic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You won’t believe the picture of the person taking THAT pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kith posted:

but who took the picture of him?????