Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

feelix posted:

I have no reason to doubt the veracity of anime titty paper but I do not have a persuasive reason to trust it either

Quoting for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can literally google covid vaccine and bone marrow to find stuff like https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/health/coronavirus-immunity-vaccines.amp.html

But no, once again all hope must be crushed even though time and time again it turns out that the people aggressively posting the worst case stuff about vaccines have been wrong.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

learnincurve posted:

You can literally google covid vaccine and bone marrow to find stuff like https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/health/coronavirus-immunity-vaccines.amp.html

But no, once again all hope must be crushed even though time and time again it turns out that the people aggressively posting the worst case stuff about vaccines have been wrong.
People are doing that thing because you said "zero" instead of "effectively zero" even though the effectively is implied, like when people get up in arms about not prefacing an opinion with "in my opinion."

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
There is also definitely a difference between the efficacy of the vaccines, which does not matter as so far as it only refers to whether you have any symptoms whatsoever, and it's ability to stop hospitalisations and deaths, which is a much higher percentage than efficacy. We haven't got the figures yet for that and the indian variant, but we can speculate based on the data on who is being hospitalised in the UK.

https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1397884961227689984

The efficacy may be like 88% after two doses for Pfizer, but your risk of serious complications is being reduced further than that. That's also 95% reduction on your own previous relative risk of course, based on your age, previous medical conditions etc.

I can understand if you aren't vaccinated, or in a country with low coverage why you'd be freaking out, but it doesn't change the point that if you are double vaccinated and you're not either suffering from a very serious condition (not obesity here) or 70+, you shouldn't need to worry about your personal risk.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Lookout COVID-19 thread. We've renamed all the variants of concern, so we don't stigmatize the places that they were discovered. Also because it was confusing scientists.
code:
--------------------------------------------
Discovered	Variant		Now Known As
U.K.		B117		Alpha
South Africa	B1351		Beta 
Brazil		P1		Gamma
India		B1617		Delta
Lets hope we won't ever see Epsilon.
THE OMEGA VIRUS

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

My Lovely Horse posted:

THE OMEGA VIRUS

It's already been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Virus

There's a new hotel quarantine breach in Western Australia.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 1, 2021

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
O-O-O-Omega Virus. You have no idea what’s in store for you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Lookout COVID-19 thread. We've renamed all the variants of concern, so we don't stigmatize the places that they were discovered. Also because it was confusing scientists.
code:
Discovered	Variant		Now Known As
U.K.		B117		Alpha
South Africa	B1351		Beta 
Brazil		P1		Gamma
India		B1617		Delta
Lets hope we won't ever see Epsilon.

It's gonna go all the way to Ligma.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Crackbone posted:

I’m just exhausted of having to assume everybody I deal with is a dumbshit.

heard that friend. hope you and yours stay safe

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

feelix posted:

On what basis do you trust this pre-print that hasn't been peer-reviewed yet? Serious question, there are reasons you should trust this particular pre-print, but your post stinks of trusting anything that is typeset in LaTeX. In general a pre-print means nothing, see for example this:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Maid_Character

I look at the researchers, the sponsoring organizations, and (lately) search to see who is linking it. Fred Hutch author, linked by Kristen Anderson of Scripps Institute? Worth a read imo.

learnincurve posted:

It's not about crushing hope, or posting worst case scenarios - it's about not jumping the loving gun with misleading zero risk bullshit. The NYT publishing an article about how even those with prior infections shoukd be vaccinated? It's good public health messaging, and I'm glad for it. I read that last week and so what? The small percentage that were infected and are now fully vaxx'd have an excellent immune response - this is good and not surprising news that doesn't change much of anything.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 1, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nope, still GBS and not D&D

Allow people hope you miserable bastards, dear god it’s like some of the posters in here want the pandemic to continue and it’s absolutely sickening.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

it’s like some of the posters in here want the pandemic to continue and it’s absolutely sickening.

Strawman much? :jerkbag:

Hope is fine and good, just don't make poo poo up. False hope will contribute towards getting people killed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh gently caress off, just because the bone marrow studies widely reported by the press don’t fit into your persona narrative it does not mean I made easily googleable poo poo up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

Oh gently caress off, just [point-missing dumb poo poo].

I was talking about "it’s like some of the posters in here want the pandemic to continue" which is some aggressively egregious bullshit. gently caress you for implying that about me, go project your insecurities on someone else

E: you seem like a wellmeaning idiot who is completely over the pandemic and just doesn't have the energy to deal with any more bad news about it but for some reason keeps coming back to the discussion thread where people are always posting bad news about it

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 1, 2021

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
"How dare you!"

"No, how dare you!"

"Nooo, how dare you!"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s funny because I’ve had both AZ shots and am not remotely insecure about catching covid at all.

Concerned about what’s going on in places not lucky enough to be this far ahead for sure, worried about the under 18s in this county not being vaccinated at all, worried for the people with covid agoraphobia and hopeful that they get help absolutely.

I don’t like people ragging on vaccines using “science” they googled because it makes the vaccine hesitant reading them think “well if these charts show you can get it anyway” and then choose to remain unvaccinated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not great for vaccine perceptions when people say that the vaccines provide complete and utter protection and then they open a newspaper and read about real, honest, breakthrough cases.

If you’re not running an authoritarian state capable of and willing to suppress news of breakthrough cases, you should probably be honest that although rare, they do happen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Contact tracers in Melbourne think that the India variant might be spreading by people just walking past each other in the street
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfrT61IlKyU

learnincurve posted:

I don’t like people ragging on vaccines using “science” they googled because it makes the vaccine hesitant reading them think “well if these charts show you can get it anyway” and then choose to remain unvaccinated.

"Accurate information could be misinterpreted by malicious idiots so we have to lie and say "slight danger" is actually "zero danger"!" :jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag: gently caress off with that bullshit

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Platystemon posted:

It’s not great for vaccine perceptions when people say that the vaccines provide complete and utter protection and then they open a newspaper and read about real, honest, breakthrough cases.

If you’re not running an authoritarian state capable of and willing to suppress news of breakthrough cases, you should probably be honest that although rare, they do happen.

It's also probably not great for vaccine perceptions when people imply that the vaccines provide barely any more protection that we had naturally. If the vaccines don't help, why should I bother?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i was as doom and gloom as anyone throughout 80% of this thread, it made me so angry that people weren't taking as many precautions as i was, but you gotta let it go some time. you can still not go out if you don't want to go out

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

learnincurve posted:

it makes the vaccine hesitant reading them think “well if these charts show you can get it anyway” and then choose to remain unvaccinated.

Except there's already been wide reporting on vaccinated persons catching and/or dying of COVID, including celebrities.

I found a poll on the vaccine-hesitant.

Distrust is the #1 problem.

(Source, table 2)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gohuskies posted:

It's also probably not great for vaccine perceptions when people imply that the vaccines provide barely any more protection that we had naturally. If the vaccines don't help, why should I bother?

No one suggested that, explicitly or implicitly

E: of course there's lots of people are loving idiots who will wildly misinterpret situations to fit into their pre-conceived notions whatever happens
https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/1399708920105611264

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 1, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I don't want your commie socialized medicine :argh: - An Idiot

(not what that article was, but it makes me wonder)

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No one suggested that, explicitly or implicitly

E: of course there's lots of people are loving idiots who will wildly misinterpret situations to fit into their pre-conceived notions whatever happens
https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/1399708920105611264

I think it was in April that we were last hearing in the thread that people were being asked for insurance information to get the vaccine, even though yes, it's free. Which is confusing, even to people who aren't 'loving idiots'.

And also, for the VAST majority of the uninsured here, which is about 10% of Americans, if you get the vaccine, and ANYthing weird happens, you're totally screwed if you need health care.

So maybe it's not so much 'loving idiots' as 'have seen that the healthcare industry will screw you every way it can'.

Last year, a lot of agencies were talking about this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-treatment-costs.html

Now, it's this: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-hospital-bill/

The American healthcare system is a greedy, uncaring machine.

Americans have had NO steady sources of news or information since this thing started but everybody thinks we're just 'loving idiots'. The CDC and the WHO have repeatedly changed their stances and contradicted each other and themselves. So has everybody else. We're all tired and confused. All we know for certain is that we can't trust ANYBODY to tell the truth.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Our business is finally getting back to normal. Tomorrow we are beginning to reopen all our sites and those that are vaccinated can work maskless, but those who did not get vaccinated or chose not to respond to their manager about their status, they will have to wear a mask and stay 6 ft . Not sure how many chuds we employ, but there has got to be a few realizing they gotta wear a mask while everyone else enjoys their freedoms. *eagle screeching noise*

TreeTrunks
Aug 16, 2018
UK reported zero covid deaths today.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

I think it was in April that we were last hearing in the thread that people were being asked for insurance information to get the vaccine, even though yes, it's free. Which is confusing, even to people who aren't 'loving idiots'.

It's so they can track your vaccine status going forward. Those who aren't vaccinated or refuse will likely start paying a premium every month until they do. The cost to insurance companies is too great to let people do whatever. It's why smokers have to pay $50-100 more a month for their insurance than non-smokers.

quote:

The American healthcare system is a greedy, uncaring machine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

boar guy posted:

i was as doom and gloom as anyone throughout 80% of this thread, it made me so angry that people weren't taking as many precautions as i was, but you gotta let it go some time. you can still not go out if you don't want to go out

Sure, but I was told by a poster just this week that I am irrational for having anxiety about going out among unmasked/unvaccinated people, despite being vaccinated myself.

I live in a US state with one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country. The vast majority of people here have not taken the pandemic seriously since around June of last year. Mask rates are basically zero; the statewide mask mandate was never enforced or followed (and was lifted in April this year), and everyone's been doing S&F@D for a year now.

I'm not a doomposter or a disaster fetishist. I want this thing to be over, and I think we'll eventually stumble our way into not-quite-herd-immunity-but-close-enough very soon. I've booked a cruise early next year, and I'm even considering going to a large, all-vaccinated gathering in July. I am trying to be hopeful and optimistic.

That said, going out to Costco or Home Depot today in my redneck state full of anti-vaxxers and COVID-deniers still scares the poo poo out of me, and gently caress anyone who says I have a broken brain for feeling that way.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we just spent a year and a half being conditioned to avoid everyone and be paraonoid towards everyone. i think it's stupid to assume that everything is just going to immediately ramp back up to normal

fyi i've been out twice, one time forced and one time voluntarily and i didn't enjoy either time due to the mask. so i'm gonna stay in a while longer, for the record

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Philthy posted:

It's so they can track your vaccine status going forward. Those who aren't vaccinated or refuse will likely start paying a premium every month until they do. The cost to insurance companies is too great to let people do whatever.

I'm as critical of the American healthcare system as anyone, but this is not why vaccination providers are asking for insurance information.

It's because while the vaccine itself is free, providers can charge for the vaccination "procedure". They bill your insurance, or if you're not insured or otherwise can't/won't provide insurance information, they bill the federal Provider Relief Fund.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Someone mentioned authoritarian state ?
Wouldn't an authoritarian loving mandate the vaccine?
sounds like a good idea

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

boar guy posted:

we just spent a year and a half being conditioned to avoid everyone and be paraonoid towards everyone. i think it's stupid to assume that everything is just going to immediately ramp back up to normal

fyi i've been out twice, one time forced and one time voluntarily and i didn't enjoy either time due to the mask. so i'm gonna stay in a while longer, for the record

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being paranoid if someone wants to be. Personally I'm wearing a mask a lot more than the CDC says I should and still avoiding some activities that are probably quite safe. But I'm also admitting that I'm being a little irrational with some of that. Just as we should be honest that COVID is still a problem and hasn't gone away, we should be honest that fully vaccinated people really are living in a radically different safety environment than we were 2 or 6 or 12 months ago.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 1, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My in-laws are still not vaccinated, and every time we ask them to get vaccinated they just say "Well, maybe..." and then change the subject.

This past weekend my MiL opened her pool and invited us and some of my wife's friends to come over. She was SHOCKED that nobody wanted to come after finding out she was unvaccinated, especially my wife's friend with two kids under 5.

I'm hoping MAYBE this shows her actual consequences to this, even if it's just "you won't see us for the foreseeable future".

We did get to spend an awesome day with my parents yesterday, feels amazing to see them again safely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

learnincurve posted:

Nope, still GBS and not D&D

Allow people hope you miserable bastards, dear god it’s like some of the posters in here want the pandemic to continue and it’s absolutely sickening.

hope is what you get when your local government says "our threshold for locking down is 50 new cases a day average per week because relative to our state's total population that's a huge number" but then also says "we think 50 new cases a day is ok this can be the new normal open it up!!!!"

and now that it's open they're saying things like "why don't people who live in a place where the poverty line is $42/hr want to work for $12/hr anymore? for some reason nobody wants to work at a hotel around tourists who skirt regulations during an ongoing public health crisis :qq:"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 1, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm a few weeks passed my first Pfizer shot and the opposite arm gets fairly frequently muscle aches several times a day, started about a week after I got the shot. The day after, the injection arm was sore in the typical way but no other side effects.

Anybody else get this? It definitely didn't happen before but that doesn't mean they're related, just wondering if anybody else has come across this...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Akuma posted:

I'm a few weeks passed my first Pfizer shot and the opposite arm gets fairly frequently muscle aches several times a day, started about a week after I got the shot. The day after, the injection arm was sore in the typical way but no other side effects.

Anybody else get this? It definitely didn't happen before but that doesn't mean they're related, just wondering if anybody else has come across this...

Someone else in one of the covid threads also mentioned reoccurring pain in their opposite arm a while ago, it's apparently a thing

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Akuma posted:

...Have you tried switching hands?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

madeintaipei posted:

...Have you tried switching hands?
lmao, it is that muscle...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

gohuskies posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being paranoid if someone wants to be. Personally I'm wearing a mask a lot more than the CDC says I should and still avoiding some activities that are probably quite safe. But I'm also admitting that I'm being a little irrational with some of that. Just as we should be honest that COVID is still a problem and hasn't gone away, we should be honest that fully vaccinated people really are living in a radically different safety environment than we were 2 or 6 or 12 months ago.

It's not paranoid or irrational at all. Trump/Covid brought out just how many people are blatantly dangerous idiots without empathy, so there simply is no benefit of the doubt anymore for anyone I don't know personally know.

We had to go to Costco this past weekend and I just don't give a gently caress anymore, I'll gladly keep wearing a mask and loudly exclaiming how many idiots are inside without a mask when they are in earshot. They don't deserve benefit of the doubt, or sympathy, or even respect so they won't receive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Fenarisk posted:

We had to go to Costco this past weekend and I just don't give a gently caress anymore, I'll gladly keep wearing a mask and loudly exclaiming how many idiots are inside without a mask when they are in earshot. They don't deserve benefit of the doubt, or sympathy, or even respect so they won't receive it.

That's why I try as hard as possible to poo poo my pants when the inlaws get racist.

You want to invite me over then be gross? Cool, hold my beer and watch this