Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MagusofStars posted:

How is the disease that makes people ghouls transmitted? Is it airborne so Taz and the crew are at risk from our new ghoul bro? Or is it something like you get it from being bitten by a ghoul which hopefully Gaichu is going to stay well fed enough to avoid?

Bites or ingesting fluids. Gaichu presumably has a story to tell about how he got the way he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Wait, wasn't the streetdoc in Kreuzbasar feeding ghouls? I may be forgetting but I thought he was using synthetic or vat grown body parts?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Dunkelzahn’s Will includes a huge nuyen reward if anyone is able to come up with a viable vat grown solution to the ghoul feeding problem. No one has as of yet been able to collect.

Growing metahuman flesh in a vat is easy, but it doesn't actually satiate a ghoul's hunger because what they're really feeding on is the traces of the person's essence left in the flesh. If it was never a person then there was never any essence in the first place, and it does nothing.

Alacron posted:

Wait, wasn't the streetdoc in Kreuzbasar feeding ghouls? I may be forgetting but I thought he was using synthetic or vat grown body parts?

He was using dead patients and the bits he cut off live patients (if you get a cyberarm installed he'll dispose of your old arm for you.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ghoul samurai dude, called it.

Him being a party member, however... that one surprises me.

I picked up SR: Hong Kong because of this LP, but I'm going to avoid playing ahead of where the LP gets.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's funny that nobody in the party brings up Racter apparently being an expert in serial killer methods as well as just not batting an eye at any of the gross gore.

I bet he knew what that meat was too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bewilderment posted:

Probably, but somehow I doubt he'd have particularly judged Taz for partaking.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

GhostStalker posted:

Mentioned this before, but there’s a Ghoul nation in the middle of Deepest, Darkest Africa. Run by a Queen because why the gently caress not. Also, the Organlegging syndicate Tanamous exists to supply ghouls with fresh metahuman flesh to quench their hunger and make sure they don’t turn feral.

Asamando started with extremely high ideals of being a place where both HMMVV-positive and regular folks could live. Within a couple decades it turned into a cannibal farm. A very "things can always get worse" vibe.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asamundo is also a ready buyer for sla... convicted criminals awaiting execution.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

Probably, but somehow I doubt he'd have particularly judged Taz for partaking.

It was nicely marinated and everything! Hardly barbaric

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Racter would go on about the fact that modern cooking methods completely eliminate the risk of brain-prion disease.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cooking never eliminates brain prion disease until a cookin temp that is beyond edible. ractor is meticulously researched, he would warn you about the prions

its why it can gently caress over peeps usin normal autoclaves. gotta use bleach or caustic soda and 140 c pressurized poo poo

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 1, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

bewilderment posted:

It's funny that nobody in the party brings up Racter apparently being an expert in serial killer methods as well as just not batting an eye at any of the gross gore.

Shadowrunners have a high tolerance for creepy/weird poo poo when it comes to their teammates. One that spikes upwards very sharply in direct correlation to how competent that teammate is.

Racter, being a master rigger, an expert in mechanical engineering, and at least fairly decent at talking everyone's way out of getting shot at by hostile assholes, is well into the level that so long as he's not butchering his kills in the ship where everyone has to smell it then no one really cares.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I guess we now know who Racter's mentor was.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stroth posted:

Shadowrunners have a high tolerance for creepy/weird poo poo when it comes to their teammates.

You aren't in this life if there isn't something wrong with you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Double Plus Undead posted:

Gaichu is my favorite party member and it kills me he's optional. Imagine not going through as much of the game possible with your new ghoul buddy.

It's definitely an interesting design choice, Blitz and Racter were both likewise optional of course, but they're introduced almost from the start and you have to very purposefully refuse their help for them not to join. In Gaichu's case a strict roleplayer for example might just kill him right away before the option even comes up, and as you say the Whampoa job itself doesn't stand out from the list of runs in any way beyond being listed first in the menu, so it's entirely possible to do it way late in the game without ever realizing there's a fully fledged companion you've been missing out on.

There will be plenty of ghoul trivia in Gaichu's personal conversations for anyone wondering about that stuff, and a lot of insight on Renraku and Japan as well. I do hope you enjoy those crew chats because now there's gonna be more of them than ever!

As for the food, the other crewmates' reactions are all pretty similar variations of "that's pretty weird ngl" so I didn't include them separately, but it is one of the extremely rare food-related things in the game that Gobbet does not approve of. Here they are in detail if you're curious:

So we walk in, and you go right for the food and scarf it down?

[Is0bel shakes her head slowly.]

You're strange, Taz. Real strange.

-

[Gobbet watches you eat, her mouth slowly falling open.]

All right, Taz. I know I love food, but you take it to a whole new level. I mean, we walked into a basement stockroom which is obviously inhabited by somebody. What's the first thing you do? Steal their dinner. That's just cold.

-

[Racter watches you, slowly arcing one brow.]

Ahh. An evening repast prepared by whoever is hiding down here. And what do you do? You eat it.

I was hungry!

I'm just saying: the next time I seem strange to you, reflect on your own behavior here.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Rachter being all "I won't call you weird, if you don't call me weird." over eating the long pork is just :allears:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Racter and Gaichu were both stretch goals in the Kickstarter campaign so it makes sense that they are optional.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really hope Gaichu gets a line remarking on Taz walking in and eating his dinner at some point.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I like that Gobbet and Rachter's main issue with Taz's basement cannibalism is that she's ruining someone else's meal.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Pointless factoid : "Galina" is Russian for chicken (the female kind). Which is possibly one of the lamest nicknames one could possibly get strapped with. (although I think IRL it's a term of endearment for someone stupid you still like. The point stands.)

girl dick energy posted:

He's the Legion of SR:HK and I love him.

Ghouls do not *intentionally* infiltrate.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kobal2 posted:

Ghouls do not *intentionally* infiltrate.

Red Samurai typically do not intentionally infiltrate either.

But, you know. Sometimes the best peacekeeper is someone honorbound to you who is not just ready and willing to kill at your command, but is already considering how to prepare dinner with the remains.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Surprised Gobbet doesn't sense more about the teriyaki long pork, you'd think she'd notice the lingering metahuman spiritual presence.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Broken Box posted:

Surprised Gobbet doesn't sense more about the teriyaki long pork, you'd think she'd notice the lingering metahuman spiritual presence.

Astral reading is a pretty deliberate thing. Gobbet is a full magician so she can project her astral form, but she's Gobbet so she probably doesn't practice much.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also she would need to be interested enough to bother before plopping it in her mouth. How many people astrally perceive their food for metahuman flesh anyway?

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 1, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kobal2 posted:

Pointless factoid :
Well, "factoid" is correct.

"Galina" is a Russian name (hailing from Greek, like a lot of old-fashioned Russian names).

"Gallina" is Spanish for chicken. Gallina Blanca has a fairly major market share in Russia (or at least a lot of annoying commercials).

I can imagine someone named Galina being teased (though only in a 21st century that went the way of our reality), but that doesn't have anything to do with what the name means in Russian.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Isn't galina also a type of rock?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ibblebibble posted:

Isn't galina also a type of rock?

That's galena, which is a lead rock or crystal or something.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Xander77 posted:

Well, "factoid" is correct.

"Galina" is a Russian name (hailing from Greek, like a lot of old-fashioned Russian names).

"Gallina" is Spanish for chicken. Gallina Blanca has a fairly major market share in Russia (or at least a lot of annoying commercials).

I can imagine someone named Galina being teased (though only in a 21st century that went the way of our reality), but that doesn't have anything to do with what the name means in Russian.

Grmbl. I could have sworn that was a bit of legit pointless trivia swirling around somewhere in my beer-soaked brain. Thanks for the prompt correction.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Ghoul samurai dude, called it.

Him being a party member, however... that one surprises me.

Yeah, I'm impressed the clues were there for people who knew the setting. Certainly was persuasive enough as a theory to make me go "eww" when Taz grabbed a bite of the meal even before the actual reveal. Can't help but think if they have any sort of companion quests in this game that Gaichu's is going to involve dealing with being ghouled as a Red Samurai but NOT killing himself; his old bosses will definitely take exception to that, especially the "still running around in your identifiable armor as a ghoul" part.

quote:

Woof, armor piercing discarding sabot (APDS) rounds are ridiculously hard to source, and expensive as hell (something like 7 nuyen a round before any black market markup, last I remember from the rulebooks), those cops had to be insanely well geared up if they were using those. HKPD is probably VERY irked they lost all that stuff (I suspect the dead officers have to be from a rather elite SWAT unit equivalent to boot if they had any sort of access to that stuff, unless the police have some sort of monster hunter unit instead). Might help explain why they didn't come back, that's a pretty significant sunk cost already for any corporation to swallow.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, APDS rounds are military grade stuff. It's not gonna be carried around by some random traffic cop. I think they're harder to source than explosive rounds, which are already not something you find at the average sporting goods store (even considering the sort of things you'll encounter if you go hunting in Shadowrun). I think the only type of ammo that's even more restricted than APDS rounds is depleted uranium rounds, which might be a literal war crime to use in the SR universe. Good luck getting your hands on it though. Either you have some *serious* arms dealing connections or you know a very good and specialized machinist to make the bullets individually.

But hey, keeping some huge fuckoff revolver loaded with 6 of those rounds for emergencies does feel very cool, and isn't that what really matters?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MadDogMike posted:

Woof, armor piercing discarding sabot (APDS) rounds are ridiculously hard to source, and expensive as hell (something like 7 nuyen a round before any black market markup, last I remember from the rulebooks)
12¥ a round actually. And while they're not likely paying black market prices as cops they still dropped a few grand just on ammo from the way that place was shot up.

And worse, they failed despite having brought enough firepower to kill an actual main battle tank. That's the kind of fuckup that gets someone fired. Out of the cannon on the roof.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think the only type of ammo that's even more restricted than APDS rounds is depleted uranium rounds, which might be a literal war crime to use in the SR universe.

Assault cannon rounds, which are about 90% high explosives by volume. Also "Why the gently caress do you have an assault cannon?"

Stroth fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 1, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is the 21st century USD equivalent of 1 Nuyen?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Roughly a modern dollar to a nuyen, with the caveat that some things cost a lot more in Shadowrun than today. IIRC the rule of thumb is that 1 nuyen = a soyburger. By comparison a Big Mac would be more like 5-10 nuyen due to being real meat and veggies.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

They officially keep it at 1:1 to make it easier on the players.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MadDogMike posted:

Woof, armor piercing discarding sabot (APDS) rounds are ridiculously hard to source, and expensive as hell (something like 7 nuyen a round before any black market markup, last I remember from the rulebooks), those cops had to be insanely well geared up if they were using those. HKPD is probably VERY irked they lost all that stuff (I suspect the dead officers have to be from a rather elite SWAT unit equivalent to boot if they had any sort of access to that stuff, unless the police have some sort of monster hunter unit instead). Might help explain why they didn't come back, that's a pretty significant sunk cost already for any corporation to swallow.
I wonder whether Gaichu is going to be capable of taking down a full SWAT team on his own now that he's a playable character. Stay tuned for an utterly shocking conclusion.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Last I checked, a soycaf was around ¥5? A spare magazine for your gun (just the magazine, not the bullets) are around ¥10. I think it’s either $3 or $4 UCAS to ¥1 last I checked in like 5th Ed, so extrapolate from there, I guess.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Stroth posted:

"Why the gently caress do you have an assault cannon?"

Strange. I understand every word in that sentence, but not the whole of it.
(Hurray for game not checking what equipment you bring to missions!)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you shouldn't compare present-day reality to cyberpunk fiction as a rule

it's too depressing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Stroth posted:

Assault cannon rounds, which are about 90% high explosives by volume. Also "Why the gently caress do you have an assault cannon?"

I meant in the "you can carry this around without attracting too much attention" range of calibers. But now I'm curious if you could find the biggest, meanest troll around and have them try to conceal an assault cannon on themselves.

"Yeah this is my... uh... crutch. Sprained my ankle the other day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stroth posted:

Also "Why the gently caress do you have an assault cannon?"

We were hired to do some feng shui adjustment on an office building.