Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Looking at the Solicits and things that have stuck out for me:

1. Batman World looks pretty cool but kind of sad by the lack of representation from Africa

2. Batman 89 means we finally get see Billy Dee William's Two Face

3. Two books with Lobo (lol)

4. Pennyworth get's his own title (based on the TV show apparently)

5. Ennis/Liam Sharp doing a Batman mini

Billy Dee was already Two-Face in the Lego Batman Movie, but he had like one line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
og sandman readers: has anybody read the original floppies and/or trades and know if there are any coloring differences between those and the 30th anniversary editions that would make one better than the other?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

og sandman readers: has anybody read the original floppies and/or trades and know if there are any coloring differences between those and the 30th anniversary editions that would make one better than the other?

That era of early Vertigo coloring was definitely different (and better) than what is in the trades these days, but I wouldn't sweat it. Alan Moore Swamp Thing is similar,, though the original color job is miles better in that case.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/1398297885469556739?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's our Garth! *laugh track*

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I mean he isn't wrong.

Also, why do they keep trying to get Garth Ennis to write superheroes when he despises then?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Siegkrow posted:

I mean he isn't wrong.

Also, why do they keep trying to get Garth Ennis to write superheroes when he despises then?

From the quote it almost sounds like Garth Ennis is saying “I wasn’t interested in Batman, until I realised I could write him victimising the poor!”

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

From the quote it almost sounds like Garth Ennis is saying “I wasn’t interested in Batman, until I realised I could write him victimising the poor!”

"But what got me really interested was when I wrote a scene where he got some dust on his chest in the shape of a skull. That really spoke to me for some reason."

vvv: I know it's not but it's an easy joke and I'm very unfunny.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 29, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's bizarre to me when people act like Punisher is literally the only character Garth Ennis can or has written.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I appreciated in this week's Nightwing, no loving around with Tim, Dick just straight up calls him Robin while they're suited up. I know it causes issues because of Damian, but good god was Bendis' attempt at solving that problem terrible, and I'm normally a BMB defender.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What was the last DC character Ennis wrote? A Hitman spinoff...?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What was the last DC character Ennis wrote? A Hitman spinoff...?

Looks like it's a Sixpack and Dogwelder mini, so yeah. He also did a Dastardly and Muttley for DC, but I don't think it had any DC characters in it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Siegkrow posted:

I mean he isn't wrong.

I assume he puts butts in seats, and he certainly seems to be fine with taking the money to do so. Alan Moore not only stopped but apparently doesn't even cash the checks, yet I assume his beard and visage is by choice, not economic necessity.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I mean, I wouldn't mind more Hitman extended universe stuff, but beyond that I'm not sure what he has to offer the DC uni currently

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Anyone else read the Man-Bat mini? I oddly enough really liked it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Yeah, same. We might have only sold like five copies here, but it was still a good read. :unsmith:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is the newest DC Connect late? My LGS told me to make sure my order was in last week. It turns out he meant last month's, but the website doesn't seem to be updated with May's catalog yet.

edit: nevermind, the default link from bing and google was taking me to a page that didn't have all of them. By clicking around the website I found the current catalog.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 2, 2021

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Yeah, my low expectations going in were handily surpassed. A nice exploration of the character and some good art to boot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And the latest Batman filled in the final piece of the puzzle that Swamp Thing and Catwoman had included regarding the current fate of Poison Ivy. There's now two Pams, Poison and Ivy. Poison is the more aggressive and domineering one, her hatred for humanity personified and it currently underground in a jungle of her own making. Ivy is her kinder half and more innocent, and after being freed by Catwoman from the possession a scientist that'd be part of the Peacemaker network seen in Future State, she's now hiding out in Catwoman's neighborhood for protection. Both have avatars in The Green with Ivy serving Poison but their physical forms don't seem to be aware of any of that.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, my low expectations going in were handily surpassed. A nice exploration of the character and some good art to boot.

It started off kinda meh, but got better by the end and really stuck the landing. I don't think it needed to be five issues though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Suicide squad and teen titans academy are both bad books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
red x red x reD X RED X RED X R

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get why they're acting like Red X is a thing because as far as I can tell it was never even in the comics. But now it seems like everyone knows Red X and it's a big deal but they don't know who this Red X is and they haven't even come out and said it was Dick beforehand.

Like I have no loving idea why all of a sudden Red X is a big deal in the comics. It was never a thing before that I can see. Is it really just because of the Teen Titans cartoon?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

poo poo from the cartoons have made it into comics before. Live Wire, Mr. Freeze's back story, some third thing I'm forgetting.

I dunno, the third thing probably is probably minor and only came up a couple times, not some sort of breakout character that's now been in multiple live action films with more on the way or anything. You might be right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Red X would've been great as another one of the Bat Family's Matches Malone type identities that they use to do deep cover infiltrations into villain orgs. Not this weird Grey hat thing. That TT and SS crossed over so early for this stuff is just not promising at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know why you're copping an attitude with me wondering why they transplanted the Red X thing into the comics by making it canon when it never happened. Seems like it would be better to write a new story rather than just say "yeah stuff happened like in the cartoons" because it's sloppy.

And yeah, sure, I'm sure it'll be just a short time before Red loving X catches up to Harley Quinn in popularity.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I stuck with Suicide Squad all through nu-52 and bought every iteration of the book. Until now. Future State Suicide Squad was bad and when I saw the regular series would be building up to the future State stuff I dropped the book.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I keep hoping that some issue of Gage's Batman/Fortnite comic will end with a cliffhanger appearance of Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet but of course it's never gonna happen. It would be so absurd and cool though!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When Harley Quinn made the leap into continuity it was in a sort of prestige-y one-shot that gives us her origin and sets up her dynamic with the Joker. It kind of refamiliarizes the reader with who she was in the cartoons, and then demonstrates how she'll be different in the comics. It tells a nice complete story that's still open-ended, and gives us nice snippets of how she interacts with the characters most central to her story on the show-- Batman, the Joker, Poison Ivy. So it's not a perfect comic but if you were a fan of the cartoon and wanted to see how Harley Quinn got incorporated into DC it would be easy to pick up and understand, if you had no idea who the character was you could pick it up and understand, if you were a die-hard DC fan you could pick it up and understand, and get a perfectly readable done-in-one action caper to boot. I watched the Batman cartoon very infrequently as a kid but I was familiar with the gist of the character and I remember reading this one-shot and feeling not especially excited but certainly like I understood who she was and what her deal is.

Like-- the one-shot exists obviously because DC thought that fans would like seeing Harley Quinn in the comics and more importantly perhaps that fans would pay money for comics with Harley Quinn in them. But the comic doesn't take it for granted that Harley Quinn is fascinating and cool. It works to make her interesting and fun, and that work pays off. As it turns out this was a wise gamble-- obviously she's a super popular character. Would she still be popular if her comics roll-out was handled more clumsily? That I don't know, but as it is I feel like she was incorporated fairly seamlessly. No big mystery, no big to do, just an introductory issue and then having her just show up and do her thing.

Compare that with the Red X stuff. He's just there, the comics act as if we all know about him (and that we all just understand and accept who and what he is in the comics-continuity history of the Titans) and are excited to see him. What's his relationship to Robin? What's his past with Beast Boy? gently caress if I know, I never watched the cartoon and these comics seem to have no interest in filling me in. He shows up and flips around and says his little jokes and I guess that's supposed to be a delicious treat. But it isn't-- it's execrably poor story-telling. I should also note that The New Adventures of Batman aired its final new episode in January 1999 and Batman: Harley Quinn hit the stands in August of that year. Teen Titans ended in 2006. If there was a time to elegantly fold this guy into continuity with no prologue and no scaffolding whatsoever, it probably should have been 15 years ago.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 2, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's even more baffling because - spoilers for a cartoon from the mid-00's I guess? - Red X isn't anyone. His identity in the cartoon is never followed up on, never even vaguely hinted at who he could be. That was, like, the entire draw of the character beyond the cool design. There's no satisfying answer to this mystery even if you were invested in the Teen Titans cartoon.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I remember him being Robin. Was I Mandela'd?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think in the show Red X was Robin working with Deathstroke and gave up the identity once he re-joined the Titans.

Then someone mysterious got the suit who sounded exactly like Robin shows up and they fight a few times.

Then the show got cancelled and the much better Go version came out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah he was Robin exactly one time, in the identity's first appearance, and then some mystery person the rest of the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uhh clearly he's robin's brother, haven't y'all seen speed racer

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

uhh clearly he's robin's brother, haven't y'all seen speed racer

Which Robin?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
all of them

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The missing link...

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Beast Boy thinking Red X is Jason Todd was actually a running joke from the series so I mean...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

When Harley Quinn made the leap into continuity it was in a sort of prestige-y one-shot that gives us her origin and sets up her dynamic with the Joker. It kind of refamiliarizes the reader with who she was in the cartoons, and then demonstrates how she'll be different in the comics. It tells a nice complete story that's still open-ended, and gives us nice snippets of how she interacts with the characters most central to her story on the show-- Batman, the Joker, Poison Ivy. So it's not a perfect comic but if you were a fan of the cartoon and wanted to see how Harley Quinn got incorporated into DC it would be easy to pick up and understand, if you had no idea who the character was you could pick it up and understand, if you were a die-hard DC fan you could pick it up and understand, and get a perfectly readable done-in-one action caper to boot. I watched the Batman cartoon very infrequently as a kid but I was familiar with the gist of the character and I remember reading this one-shot and feeling not especially excited but certainly like I understood who she was and what her deal is.

Like-- the one-shot exists obviously because DC thought that fans would like seeing Harley Quinn in the comics and more importantly perhaps that fans would pay money for comics with Harley Quinn in them. But the comic doesn't take it for granted that Harley Quinn is fascinating and cool. It works to make her interesting and fun, and that work pays off. As it turns out this was a wise gamble-- obviously she's a super popular character. Would she still be popular if her comics roll-out was handled more clumsily? That I don't know, but as it is I feel like she was incorporated fairly seamlessly. No big mystery, no big to do, just an introductory issue and then having her just show up and do her thing.

Compare that with the Red X stuff. He's just there, the comics act as if we all know about him (and that we all just understand and accept who and what he is in the comics-continuity history of the Titans) and are excited to see him. What's his relationship to Robin? What's his past with Beast Boy? gently caress if I know, I never watched the cartoon and these comics seem to have no interest in filling me in. He shows up and flips around and says his little jokes and I guess that's supposed to be a delicious treat. But it isn't-- it's execrably poor story-telling. I should also note that The New Adventures of Batman aired its final new episode in January 1999 and Batman: Harley Quinn hit the stands in August of that year. Teen Titans ended in 2006. If there was a time to elegantly fold this guy into continuity with no prologue and no scaffolding whatsoever, it probably should have been 15 years ago.

Plus the Harley one-shot was nicely placed because No-Man's Land was running through the Bat-titles, giving a nice shake-up to the line so introducing her just feels like one other thing that was going on as part of the even, like introducing the new Batgirl.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Beast Boy thinking Red X is Jason Todd was actually a running joke from the series so I mean...

No it wasn't.

There was a short released years after the show where Beast Boy guesses it's Jason Todd, and then they keep unmasking him to increasingly ridiculous results.

In the show itself they never ponder who it is beyond that he's somebody smart enough to steal the suit, and dumb enough to actually use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

it's even more baffling because - spoilers for a cartoon from the mid-00's I guess? - Red X isn't anyone. His identity in the cartoon is never followed up on, never even vaguely hinted at who he could be. That was, like, the entire draw of the character beyond the cool design. There's no satisfying answer to this mystery even if you were invested in the Teen Titans cartoon.

I believe that is the attempted appeal though. "Who the hell is Red X?" is one of the only real plot threads that got left hanging when the show ended, and clearly the writer is trying to use that as a hook to appeal to a now-grown-up base of people who were fans of the old show.

What fails in this attempted move from cartoon to comic is that there are no new readers of this dying art form so the potential base of people excited by this development is too small you just can't move a mystery across universes. The new characters' relationships with "Red X" is different (unless the writers are just gonna do some sort of Untold Tales of the Teen Titans story that's just literally the first Red X episode of Teen Titans and retcon it into TT history). Like, back in the day I think the number one suspect of who Red X was was Jason Todd, who hadn't been on the show but hey he was a Robin so it gave him a connection to Robin. In this comic, the older Titan lineup is identical to the show's (plus Donna Troy) but since these Titans are older they've also interacted with every other Titan ever including ones never on the show which makes the suspect pool, which is kind of important for a mystery, wayyy bigger. Like what if Red X turns out to be *cruises Teen Titan wiki* Hawk or Dove or Phantasm or [insert character] or any character related to those characters (I can't believe Terry Long is back and went heel)? It doesn't supply any kind of catharsis.

Moving characters from a smaller medium into a bigger universe like Harley Quinn is fine, or adapting stories like revising Mr. Freeze's origin, but trying to resolve plot threads across universes? Don't be crazy. Or at least, y'know, be a much better writer than Tim Sheridan.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 3, 2021