Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i bought a badger 360. my airbrush compressor didn't come with a hose. I bought an airbrush hose with a 1/8" end and a 1/4" end and an adapter that purported to work for badger air brushes. it doesn't seem to fit the hose and I can't easily find what I need through Google--does anyone know off hand what I need to get going with this brush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

sassassin posted:

The metal looks kind of backwards in places, like the silver is tarnishing the original rust-colour. Like on the sword the sharp bit would naturally have the rust knocked off where it's hitting things regularly (or being sharpened), while the thicker areas would stay rustier. While on the armour the edges would be where the rust is eating away most.

Yes those are good points and I noticed the same problems. The issue was that I started off with the idea of using chipping medium. The silver and rust were below a pure steel color. When I chipped away, you couldn't really see the difference between the silver and the steel (and the rust added a level of chaos that made it even more difficult to read). So I said "gently caress it" and painted rust all over the steel to "fix" the mini. And then I had to edge highlight the silver again and clearly in places I did it wrong.

That was a good lesson though. I think what I learned was that you don't use a chipping medium with colors that are pretty close (steel and silver both being true metal colors, the only difference really is their brightness I guess?). The effect just doesn't seem to work. For the next boi I'll use a much darker color (maybe some German Grey/Corvus Black or a darkened Thunderhawk/Midnight Blue) as the overlay and see if the chipping works better that way.

Thanks for the feedback, very good eyes!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tips on making this better? So far i did a black base with white drybrushed pre-shading then i blocked out the colors, ink washed the recesses, re applied the block colors where necessary and tried to add some highlights. Still getting the hang of highlighting. I think im going to need to do an entire regiment where i really focus on my highlighting technique before i even begin to do it right.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

punishedkissinger posted:

tips on making this better? So far i did a black base with white drybrushed pre-shading then i blocked out the colors, ink washed the recesses, re applied the block colors where necessary and tried to add some highlights. Still getting the hang of highlighting. I think im going to need to do an entire regiment where i really focus on my highlighting technique before i even begin to do it right.

Given all the folds and stuff I would have tried a very, very light dry brush, over and over until I get it right/to taste, rather than a highlight.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
https://twitter.com/MonkstoneMinis/status/1381220580385521670
This guy has a rusted armor technique (explained in the tweet thread) that I tried out on my latest vampires- it's pretty fun to take for a spin and even though I'm not much a painter, it came out looking okay for me.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

https://twitter.com/MonkstoneMinis/status/1381220580385521670
This guy has a rusted armor technique (explained in the tweet thread) that I tried out on my latest vampires- it's pretty fun to take for a spin and even though I'm not much a painter, it came out looking okay for me.

Sweet, that's exactly the look I'd like to go for, thanks for sharing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I used this method for my rusty Stormcast, though I swapped the secret weapon rust paints for AK equivalents since they're impossible to get in the UK it seems.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I love your Grimcast to the point that I made some of my own (still have to paint them). I was going to use them to practice rusty armor before I waded in with the vampires, but got impatient.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i bought a badger 360. my airbrush compressor didn't come with a hose. I bought an airbrush hose with a 1/8" end and a 1/4" end and an adapter that purported to work for badger air brushes. it doesn't seem to fit the hose and I can't easily find what I need through Google--does anyone know off hand what I need to get going with this brush?

Man my current air hose is 3 different hoses I’ve cobbled together in a once-temporary attempt to use my compressor

It’s something like 1/8”->1/4”male, 1/4” female->1/4” female, 1/4” male->Badger connector.

I was going to grab a adaptor for my compressor the next time I was at princess auto, but that was almost a year ago.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well I finally finished a unit of some alfs. Figure out a lot of stuff along the way.

Even built a lovely lightbox, cobbeled together some lights (I need to buy better lights) and tried to teach myself some basic photography. It's fun where this hobby leads you.

First one

After the first batch I switched from pure white as my highlight to a warm white and I like the look a lot better.

High Warden

And the whole gang

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Have you tried asking Annie if she's okay?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

WIP on this tank with tank commander for my Valour Korps army. Still need some additional transfers, and I'll take another look at it with fresh eyes before moving forward on it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm getting an airbrush. Besides the airbrush, hose, and compressor, I ordered one of those cleaning pots, and I'm going to pick up bottles of cleaner and thinner/flow aid. Anything else I'm missing?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toebone posted:

I'm getting an airbrush. Besides the airbrush, hose, and compressor, I ordered one of those cleaning pots, and I'm going to pick up bottles of cleaner and thinner/flow aid. Anything else I'm missing?

respirator and gloves imo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Toebone posted:

You'll want some kind of spray booth to catch overspray and funnel the dried paint dust out a window or other ventilation

This is a really common one that I have, though I have to say it kind of sucks and was only worth it at like 60 bucks before covid times probably spiked the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Anesty-Bright-Lights-Filter-Portable/dp/B08RHWN398

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Verisimilidude posted:

WIP on this tank with tank commander for my Valour Korps army. Still need some additional transfers, and I'll take another look at it with fresh eyes before moving forward on it.

That thing looks great, is it 3D printed? If so how many pieces was it made of?

Booyah- posted:

You'll want some kind of spray booth to catch overspray and funnel the dried paint dust out a window or other ventilation

This is a really common one that I have, though I have to say it kind of sucks and was only worth it at like 60 bucks before covid times probably spiked the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Anesty-Bright-Lights-Filter-Portable/dp/B08RHWN398

Unfortunately, there’s a huge price gap between these $75 plastic booths and $400 professional booths. There’s nothing really in between.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Bucnasti posted:

That thing looks great, is it 3D printed? If so how many pieces was it made of?
Unfortunately, there’s a huge price gap between these $75 plastic booths and $400 professional booths. There’s nothing really in between.

What does the jump in price get you in quality and/or features?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

apparently I bought the worlds only compressor with a 1/8" male BSP connector. hopefully this big bag of adapters I bought will help, the local hobby store had a whole wall of badger adapters and looked at my setup like it was from Mars.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

Well I finally finished a unit of some alfs. Figure out a lot of stuff along the way.

Even built a lovely lightbox, cobbeled together some lights (I need to buy better lights) and tried to teach myself some basic photography. It's fun where this hobby leads you.

First one

After the first batch I switched from pure white as my highlight to a warm white and I like the look a lot better.

High Warden

And the whole gang

I'm liking these a lot!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

respirator and gloves imo

Yep, already have these for other mildly hazardous hobbies.

Is a spray booth necessary if I'm using it in my workshop and don't really care if a bit of paint gets on things? Maybe I can DIY one with a fan, HVAC filter and some cardboard.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toebone posted:

Is a spray booth necessary if I'm using it in my workshop and don't really care if a bit of paint gets on things? Maybe I can DIY one with a fan, HVAC filter and some cardboard.

you still want decent ventilation and you want something that keeps the dust at least in one place. having a clean area to spray is critical imo.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Toebone posted:

If your space is well ventilated and you’re not going crazy you can get away without a booth. I spent a weekend with two dozen other guys nonstop airbrushing in a big well ventilated college classroom without booths and it was fine.

You definitely want a booth if you’re spraying lacquer or something, but then if you’re doing that you also want a better booth than those plastic ones.

Nunes posted:

What does the jump in price get you in quality and/or features?

Permanent sturdy construction, better, bigger more powerful and safer fans, larger area etc.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Toebone posted:

I airbrush in my hobby room with no spray booth, it isn't strictly necessary when spraying acrylics, but all that paint you spray turns into a lot of dust. However, I usually do not airbrush a ton at a time - If I was, say, priming a big batch of models, I'm sure it would be more of a problem.

So you definitely want to have a booth, but you can get away with not having one so long as you don't mind creating some dust, which in a workshop I assume is fine.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Toebone posted:

A lot of people say you don't need one, but looking at my spray booth and the state of the filter after 6 months of use I'm not sure how I feel about that. I paint in my office, so I don't want to worry about my computer or other electronics getting filled with paint dust, so it really depends on your space. If you have a large, well-ventilated area that you're not concerned about, I'd say you don't need one (maybe put some paper down) but if you have a smaller area that's in close proximity to delicate electronics, I'd say definitely get one and keep it close to a window.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

A lot of people say you don't need one, but looking at my spray booth and the state of the filter after 6 months of use I'm not sure how I feel about that. I paint in my office, so I don't want to worry about my computer or other electronics getting filled with paint dust, so it really depends on your space. If you have a large, well-ventilated area that you're not concerned about, I'd say you don't need one (maybe put some paper down) but if you have a smaller area that's in close proximity to delicate electronics, I'd say definitely get one and keep it close to a window.

Also the whole paint in your lungs thing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Also the whole paint in your lungs thing.

That's why you wear a mask.

I have a booth because I don't want to get paint and paint dust all over my office. If I ever needed to spray something larger than the booth I would take it outside or in the garage. The only time I really produce a lot of overspray and dust is when I'm priming, I tend to go full pigpen when priming and the booth helps a lot for that. Laying colors on a model doesn't usually produce much overspray because if I'm doing it right all the paint is going on the model where I want it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If you're worried about getting airbrush spray all over the precious interior of your home, just do all your airbrushing in your car instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxRcYMv82RU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Silhouette posted:

Have you tried asking Annie if she's okay?

This got a genuine lol.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Painted up an Ironjawz shaman, been proxying with my orks weirdboy for too long.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lasting Damage posted:

Painted up an Ironjawz shaman, been proxying with my orks weirdboy for too long.

Goddamn, that is a tidy paint job. Looks amazing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah that's a great paintjob. Just the way you painted his face he looks slightly worried.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Converted up a vampire for a Mordheim warband. Used Pious Vorne from blackstone fortress for the body, Sylvaneth spite-revenant for head. Cut halberd head out of sheet styrene. Hair is greenstuff and nose ring is a bit of wound wire from guitar string.

The color palette is fairly limited- mostly greys and browns. His right side has some yellows mixed in and his left has some grey blue. Started from a brown prime and used a lamp shining directly from his right side to work out general light placement. Rather than doing base coats I started out by sketching in light grey where the light should be hitting. Not my normal approach but I feel like it’s good practice.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Nice work on that conversion! The yellow highlights really help set a scene.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah that's a great paintjob. Just the way you painted his face he looks slightly worried.

Yeah that's why I love this model, he's so expressive

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

A lot of great stuff on this page!!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished my 500pt Imperial Guard list. Everything was 3d printed on a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k and painted over the last two weeks using speed painting techniques for the infantry. I used zenithal priming, underpainting and contrast paints to paint everything here except the metals and camo on the tank and shields. The infantry worked out to about 20 minutes per model, the bullgryns took about 3 hours, and the tank took about 3 hours as well.

Overall cost of STL files was $50, total cost of resin was about $20. Really happy to have finished an army for the first time ever, even if it's only 500 points.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished my 500pt Imperial Guard list. Everything was 3d printed on a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k and painted over the last two weeks using speed painting techniques for the infantry. I used zenithal priming, underpainting and contrast paints to paint everything here except the metals and camo on the tank and shields. The infantry worked out to about 20 minutes per model, the bullgryns took about 3 hours, and the tank took about 3 hours as well.

Overall cost of STL files was $50, total cost of resin was about $20. Really happy to have finished an army for the first time ever, even if it's only 500 points.

Did you have to do any work after printing to clean up the minis? I am not well versed in the 3D printing side of things.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

Been following your stuff on Instagram, great work!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Nunes posted:

Did you have to do any work after printing to clean up the minis? I am not well versed in the 3D printing side of things.

Not really. I could've done more to prevent some of the scarring from where the supports tore away from bases and some weapons, but for the most part the files I used were very well designed and put most of the supports in areas you won't see. You'll notice little bumps on places like the bullgryn's weapons, and a few of the rifles, but overall the cleanup was negligible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How many of you painting goons post things from here on Instaham?

I recently started a public mini painting only account and I'd like to follow you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

How many of you painting goons post things from here on Instaham?

I recently started a public mini painting only account and I'd like to follow you guys.

I'm on @buttcheeksio