Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Twitter finally catching up to this thread's knowledge of the Veiled Prophet and Ellie Kemper being one of the pageant winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

gh0stpinballa posted:

You interested in posts from this thread or further reading or both? There's a ton of stuff about that case and similarities to big jeff itt somewhere. I recently discovered that ASCO (Belgium chemical conglomerate) was directly implicated in the upheaval in Belgium from Brabant thru Andres Cools murder and Dutrux as a source of finance and political contacts. ASCO did a big trade w Saudi tycoons and supplied them with "entertainment" when they visited Belgium. The chief middle man in this was none other than Adnan Kashoggi.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Twitter finally catching up to this thread's knowledge of the Veiled Prophet and Ellie Kemper being one of the pageant winners

I enjoy Twitter thinking the veiled prophet is just some clan thing and not an obvious deep state proto edge group billionaires dinner

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

gradenko_2000 posted:

wait what? the chick from "The Office"? i thought kimmy schmidt was just a vehicle for tina fey to vicariously push her self-aggrandizing neolib/pmc girlboss feminism.

is there something i missed?

edit: wikipedia writes "Her father was the chairman and CEO of [...] a bank holding company"

oh no, loving capitalists ree

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

wait what? the chick from "The Office"? i thought kimmy schmidt was just a vehicle for tina fey to vicariously push her self-aggrandizing neolib/pmc girlboss feminism.

edit: wikipedia writes "Her father was the chairman and CEO of [...] a bank holding company"

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/09/fair-st-louis-and-the-veiled-prophet/379460/

quote:

The 1972 Veiled Prophet was unmasked in what was one of the most dramatic guerrilla protests ever organized by local civil-rights leader Percy Green. The Ball that year was held in cavernous Kiel Auditorium. Activist Gena Scott, dramatically sliding down a power cable a la Mission Impossible, unmasked the enthroned Prophet. It turned out to be the then-executive vice president of Monsanto, Tom K. Smith. Scott’s car was bombed and her house vandalized.

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1399497667827224579

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Veiled Prophet episode of TrueAnon is a real trip.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol of course her grandpa was a general

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

imo the best bit is how the Veiled Prophet in 1972 was unveiled by a protester (who accomplished this via a rope descent) to be the VP of Monsanto

(it's in the Atlantic article)

quote:

The 1972 Veiled Prophet was unmasked in what was one of the most dramatic guerrilla protests ever organized by local civil-rights leader Percy Green. The Ball that year was held in cavernous Kiel Auditorium. Activist Gena Scott, dramatically sliding down a power cable a la Mission Impossible, unmasked the enthroned Prophet. It turned out to be the then-executive vice president of Monsanto, Tom K. Smith. Scott’s car was bombed and her house vandalized.

https://twitter.com/devintoshea/status/1283123649902514176

stringless has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Jun 1, 2021

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
the virgin you vs the chad whatever the hell this is

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

the virgin you vs the chad whatever the hell this is

darksouls boss rear end mother fucker

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

lol it was briefly mentioned in the podcast thread too:

Atrocious Joe posted:

the episode they did on St. Louis is mostly about the Veiled Prophet Society. It was a secret society founded in 1878 by the political and business elite of the city to intimidate workers after massive strike the year before that included Black and white workers. Today it's mostly about the city elite networking and hosts a parade and ball every year. Ellie Kemper is from a prominent St. Louis family that's a member of the group.

This is just a random year, but shows the disguised veiled prophet with a different Queen of Peace and Beaty. The prophet is a different important St. Louis ghoul every year. The only known prophet in the past 50 years is Monsanto CEO who had his veil ripped off by activists in the 1970s.

First image of the veiled prophet in St. Louis, from a 1878 newspaper advertisement. Literally a Klansman.

The ep is good, they interview a St. Louis native who explains the historical and political context in more detail.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
what is it with the cabal and weird rituals

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

animist posted:

what is it with the cabal and weird rituals
secret societies are all about rituals that you'd sound crazy for revealing

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This'll be a fun conversation the next time I catch my wife watching The Office...

Wonder if I can finally crackping her.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

darksouls boss rear end mother fucker

nut
Jul 30, 2019

openly celebrating the violent squashing of labour movements using esoteric threats it’s like a little piece of Vietnam here at home

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ellie kemper is still really cute and a funny actor

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

scary ghost dog posted:

ellie kemper is still really cute and a funny actor

And also a clan adjacent canal member

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I had some trouble figuring out what happened to the Veiled Prophet parade, because the wiki says they changed the name of VP Fair to St. Louis Fair in the 90s, but don't mention the parade at all.

https://www.americasbirthdayparade.com/about-the-parade

They just renamed it to America's Birthday Parade, with a bald eagle mascot and everything. There's no sign of the VP anywhere, except for that about page which explicitly declares that the whole thing is financed by Veiled Prophet.

https://www.kmov.com/the-tradition-...0eae4d1737.html

this poo poo was happening last week

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I had some trouble figuring out what happened to the Veiled Prophet parade, because the wiki says they changed the name of VP Fair to St. Louis Fair in the 90s, but don't mention the parade at all.

https://www.americasbirthdayparade.com/about-the-parade

They just renamed it to America's Birthday Parade, with a bald eagle mascot and everything. There's no sign of the VP anywhere, except for that about page which explicitly declares that the whole thing is financed by Veiled Prophet.

https://www.kmov.com/the-tradition-...0eae4d1737.html

this poo poo was happening last week

👀

nut
Jul 30, 2019

it is incredible that out of this will come a shaming just for the 19 y/o woman

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
St. Louis and it's surrounding suburban hell is one of the most classist areas of the country in my opinion. A common phrase uttered by STL spawn when meeting outside the Metro area is, "what high school did you go to?" Besides being a grammatically incorrect phrase, it serves to pigeon hole both people into a socioeconomic rank, as well as revealing each person's religion, approximate family income, likely connections, etc. It's loving crazy to see in the real world, like watching a pack of chimps figure out new dominance hierarchies in real time.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

nut posted:

it is incredible that out of this will come a shaming just for the 19 y/o woman

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mycomancy posted:

St. Louis and it's surrounding suburban hell is one of the most classist areas of the country in my opinion. A common phrase uttered by STL spawn when meeting outside the Metro area is, "what high school did you go to?" Besides being a grammatically incorrect phrase, it serves to pigeon hole both people into a socioeconomic rank, as well as revealing each person's religion, approximate family income, likely connections, etc. It's loving crazy to see in the real world, like watching a pack of chimps figure out new dominance hierarchies in real time.

I imagine this will also be the defense of Veiled Prophet since they started letting in black members in the 80s. So it's not strictly speaking an elite society of white supremacists, it's just an elite society of bourgeois.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Veiled Prophet episode of TrueAnon is a real trip.

It was pretty good. I really enjoyed the bit about how the local wealthy upper class got thrown down because the geographic concentration of power shifted away from them and all the wealth and influence went along with it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

mycomancy posted:

Yea I grew up in the suburban sprawl there and the high school talk is all just for seeing in what economic zone you were in or, even better, if you attended private school. It's interesting to go back and see how the periphery has changed as the center gentrifies and pushes the depressed areas out into the surrounding counties like st. charles and such. The VP stuff was rebranded as Fair St. Louis. I remember going to the fair poo poo all the time growing up.

The TrueAnon episode is spot on about how residential enclaves work in the city. The street by street segregation is jarring.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Welp! I was in the VP for a number of years. My father in law made me do it. I was a dwarf (sleepy) in the parade. I made "dwarf juice" for me and the 6 other dwarfs. It was very potent and we were very drunk during the parade. When I quit I sent them a letter saying, "I hereby resign from The Order (that's what they call it on the inside). I'm going to start my own secret society and we're going to invite women! Our parties are going to make your parties look like nap time in a kindergarten.". My father in law called me a couple days later, really pissed off and said, "Did you resign from The Order?". I said, "Yeah, pretty funny!". He yelled into the phone, "IT WAS NOT FUNNY! Your letter is making the rounds and it is embarrassing!". I said, "If it is making the rounds then somebody thinks it's funny.". He hung up on me and wouldn't talk to me for months.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

twit666 posted:

Welp! I was in the VP for a number of years. My father in law made me do it. I was a dwarf (sleepy) in the parade. I made "dwarf juice" for me and the 6 other dwarfs. It was very potent and we were very drunk during the parade. When I quit I sent them a letter saying, "I hereby resign from The Order (that's what they call it on the inside). I'm going to start my own secret society and we're going to invite women! Our parties are going to make your parties look like nap time in a kindergarten.". My father in law called me a couple days later, really pissed off and said, "Did you resign from The Order?". I said, "Yeah, pretty funny!". He yelled into the phone, "IT WAS NOT FUNNY! Your letter is making the rounds and it is embarrassing!". I said, "If it is making the rounds then somebody thinks it's funny.". He hung up on me and wouldn't talk to me for months.

lol

nut
Jul 30, 2019

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

twit666 posted:

extra lmao that it was your father-in-law that made you do it, you married into quite the family :eyepop:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

another data point in support of the fourth reich thesis

https://twitter.com/find_evil/status/1399248361140670464

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao, I'll bet nitrogen is cheaper, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Delta-Wye posted:

extra lmao that it was your father-in-law that made you do it, you married into quite the family :eyepop:

Yeah! An hour or so later my wife called me and said, "What did you do to piss off my Dad?". I told her, she laughed and said, "Good!".