Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

We had to go to Costco this past weekend and I just don't give a gently caress anymore, I'll gladly keep wearing a mask and loudly exclaiming how many idiots are inside without a mask when they are in earshot.

Weird goon in full face respirator, wandering around Costco inaudibly mumbling about how STUPID everyone is while normal families do their shopping and follow current CDC guidelines to the best of their ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Weird goon in full face respirator, wandering around Costco inaudibly mumbling about how STUPID everyone is while normal families do their shopping and follow current CDC guidelines to the best of their ability.

At one time current cdc guidelines said no masks when there should have been, they're more based on politics than science.

Anyone in a closed space without a mask is directly attempting to harm my family so yeah, I couldn't care less what they think when you can't do the bare minimum of a level 2 mask.

Edit: for reference my state is still at 2%, meaning at least half aren't reported for asymptomatic or people too lazy or malicious to get tested when sick, so that's still a probable 5% infection rate which is too large of a chance still. You wouldn't get on a plane if it had a 5% chance of blowing up mid air.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2021

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

At one time current cdc guidelines said no masks when there should have been, they're more based on politics than science.

Anyone in a closed space without a mask is directly attempting to harm my family so yeah, I couldn't care less what they think when you can't do the bare minimum of a level 2 mask.

No they’re not. They’re living their life. They are following current guidelines. Say what you will about the wisdom of CDC recommendations but you can’t expect everyone to know the “real truth” as filtered through anxiety riddled computer guys on obscure message boards.

Why are you even bringing your family into the Costco if it’s so dangerous? Seems like you’re just looking for confrontation.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Please keep verbally berating people in your state at that rate of vaccination

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fenarisk posted:

Edit: for reference my state is still at 2%, meaning at least half aren't reported for asymptomatic or people too lazy or malicious to get tested when sick, so that's still a probable 5% infection rate which is too large of a chance still. You wouldn't get on a plane if it had a 5% chance of blowing up mid air.

lmao loving misery seeking goon growling "expertssss" through his teeth like the dumbest republican

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Yeah I'm extremely comfortable being around vaccinated people and crowds that are (realistically) a mix of vaxxed and non-vaxxed, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable if I knew 98% of the people around me were unvaccinated.

What state are you in?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

A Fancy Hat posted:

Yeah I'm extremely comfortable being around vaccinated people and crowds that are (realistically) a mix of vaxxed and non-vaxxed, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable if I knew 98% of the people around me were unvaccinated.

What state are you in?

he's not talking about a 2% vaccination rate. He is an idiot and you're an idiot for stanning

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i don't think they're talking about vaccination rate, they're talking about... infection rate? :wtc:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I think he’s talking about positive test %. There’s not a single US state with vaccinated numbers that low.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think they mean 2% positive case percentage from testing

Which is also not “the infection rate” or equivalent to a plane having a 2% chance of blowing up (or 5% with fluff factor)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
come on. a 2% infection rate secretly means a 5% infection rate which means you're given a 5% chance of DYING every time you go out? comparing that to getting on a plane with a 5% chance of going down? are you smoking crack right now

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

d20 brain claims another innocent life

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Personally I may stick with the masks and hope most people do.
Pretty sure the flu infection rates dropped dramatically.

e: which is completely opposite of when I lived in bad areas pre pandemic and considered anyone I saw wearing a mask someone just trying to look cool or tough and were just plain douchebags.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 1, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

We had to go to Costco this past weekend and I just don't give a gently caress anymore, I'll gladly keep wearing a mask and loudly exclaiming how many idiots are inside without a mask when they are in earshot. They don't deserve benefit of the doubt, or sympathy, or even respect so they won't receive it.

other humans don't deserve respect says the reasonable guy yelling at people in costco

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think he’s talking about positive test %. There’s not a single US state with vaccinated numbers that low.

Okay that makes way more sense. Yeah you're fine going to Costco assuming you're vaxxed, this is not anywhere close to being a death sentence or anything.

OgNar posted:

Personally I may stick with the masks and hope most people do.
Pretty sure the flu infection rates dropped dramatically.

Flu was basically non-existent this year and I'm also hoping that a lot of people do the same (they won't). If nothing else it'd be great if people just stayed the gently caress home when they were sneezing and coughing all over the place.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

When a plane blows up your chance of dying is 100%. So that's a 5% chance of death.

a 5% chance of catching covid does not equal a 5% chance of death. It doesn't even mean there's a 5% chance of being ill. And if you got ill it doesn't really say anything about the severity of the illness.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This Harvard article states that cases during Flu season went from 130,000 to 1,316 during the same time period 1 year later.
Masks sound good to me.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/a-sharp-drop-in-flu-cases-during-covid-19-pandemic/

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Regarde Aduck posted:

When a plane blows up your chance of dying is 100%. So that's a 5% chance of death.

a 5% chance of catching covid does not equal a 5% chance of death. It doesn't even mean there's a 5% chance of being ill. And if you got ill it doesn't really say anything about the severity of the illness.

all right. now consider: that poster and his wife are both vaccinated

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apparently Canadians will be allowed to mix and match our vaccines, those of us who had the AZ shot first can get either AZ, Moderna, or Pfizer, or if you got Moderna first you can get Pfizer second.

We reopened patios and salons today in my province, so we'll see how that goes. The premier thinks we'll be fully reopen by July, but again, he's pushing it that hard mostly so Stampede can run.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So the vaccinated population numbers seem to be counted in 2 ways. Those who have received one shot, and those who have received both shots. So how do they factor in people that have gotten the J&J vaccine since it only requires one shot?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fenarisk posted:

Edit: for reference my state is still at 2%, meaning at least half aren't reported for asymptomatic or people too lazy or malicious to get tested when sick, so that's still a probable 5% infection rate which is too large of a chance still.

The test positivity rate is a weird one, it's only ever a vague indicator of how many cases might be getting missed per day but you also have to take into account the number of tests per capita being done, and even then you have to check whether they're reporting the number of people testing positive per 1,000 or the total number of tests which were positive which can be two very different values. At one point several US states decided to switch from the former to the later because it always gave a much much lower percentage which looks a lot more assuring if you don't realise they pulled a switcheroo.

Anyway, here's some graphs that compare some crazy test positivity rates, plus the relevant tests per capita graphs for comparison

Obviously there's been some really bad poo poo going on down in Peru and the rest of South America, it might take a while before we get the full picture :(

E: here's some excess deaths graphs for comparison. Seems like Australia had less deaths than the annual average because we just sat around with our thumbs up our asses for a whole year

Charliegrs posted:

So the vaccinated population numbers seem to be counted in 2 ways. Those who have received one shot, and those who have received both shots. So how do they factor in people that have gotten the J&J vaccine since it only requires one shot?

They're counted as fully vaccinated.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 1, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Aardvark! posted:

all right. now consider: that poster and his wife are both vaccinated

Yes and while we're at it, consider that he is concerned about his family. Also consider that young children are not vaccinated, and that the chance of infection and transmission is considerably more tham 5% depending on your vaccine.

I have no idea why it is acceptable to poo poo on posters, without any factual justification when they have valid concerns. It's loving gross and happens over and over in this thread.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Blitter posted:

Yes and while we're at it, consider that he is concerned about his family. Also consider that young children are not vaccinated, and that the chance of infection and transmission is considerably more tham 5% depending on your vaccine.

I have no idea why it is acceptable to poo poo on posters, without any factual justification when they have valid concerns. It's loving gross and happens over and over in this thread.

I think that the vitriol towards Fenarisk might have had a bit more to do with the fact that they're talking about dressing down randos in Costco for not wearing a mask.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Blitter posted:

Saying that going to costco while vaccinated in a state with a 2% positivity rate is the same as getting on a plane with a 5% chance of blowing up is a valid concern? And one worth yelling at people in public over?

And gently caress you for acting like anybody not locking themselves in a vault isn't concerned about their family.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

There are a fair amount of people who’ve used COVID as an excuse to gleefully get into confrontations with strangers and aren’t handling that going away very well. It’s weird poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There are a fair amount of people who’ve used COVID as an excuse to gleefully get into confrontations with strangers and aren’t handling that going away very well. It’s weird poo poo.

Even if that was true and not some weird projection there's still WAY WAY WAY MORE smug pricks on the other side of the equation who mocked people for "living in fear" all throughout the pandemic and sent death threats to school superintendents for requiring masks in schools and tried to get politicians recalled and held rallies and roadside vigils etc etc etc. Like, thousands of times more people.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Poster 1: I think we should keep wearing masks
Poster 2: what the gently caress do you mean we should never go outside, that’s absurd!

that’s the conversation here

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

nexous posted:

Poster 2: what the gently caress do you mean we should never go outside, that’s absurd!

The dude was bragging about starting confrontations with strangers for no reason lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nexous posted:

not at all

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I endorse confronting people who aren’t wearing masks in a private business posting signs that masks are required.

If they don’t require masks, then don’t shop there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just getting back to that stuff about Peru I just posted, here's a followup article

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1399449368701308938

I guess we're going to similar stories from quite a few countries as time passes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just getting back to that stuff about Peru I just posted, here's a followup article

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1399449368701308938

I guess we're going to similar stories from quite a few countries as time passes

Has there been anything out of North Korea? I remember seeing something maybe a month ago about them getting quieter than normal.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Ran across this article from 2001, about ACT UP San Francisco. The group had gotten taken over by AIDS-deniers, folks who claimed that HIV was harmless and that you couldn't get AIDS if you ate "whole" foods and poo poo. Almost all of them were HIV-positive. It's a depressing read, but is an interesting insight into how little things have changed.

The AIDS Deniers
There's a lot more. And the most depressing part is that you can google every single one of these people and find their obituaries. Every one of them died of AIDS.

There's a blog here by one of the ever changing figure heads of aids denialism. The author is essentially dying as she writes about how hard it is is to find medical care when you've rejected your aids diagnosis.

http://karristokely.blogspot.com/?m=1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OgNar posted:

This Harvard article states that cases during Flu season went from 130,000 to 1,316 during the same time period 1 year later.
Masks sound good to me.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/a-sharp-drop-in-flu-cases-during-covid-19-pandemic/

America definitely learned a lot of lessons about masks and vaccines during this pandemic and they're rushing to enact legislation about it! Unfortunately they learned the wrong lessons .............

quote:

Republicans in the state General Assembly, meanwhile, are pushing sweeping legislation to weaken Ohio’s vaccination laws — for all vaccines, not just COVID-19. On Tuesday, anti-vaccination activists crammed into the House Health Committee hearing room to testify in support of House Bill 248.

The legislation would ban vaccine requirements on customers, employees or students from businesses, hospitals, nursing homes, K-12 schools, colleges, daycares, or others. It would also prevent governments, insurers, or businesses from offering incentives for people to get vaccinated, or even requesting that people get vaccinated.
https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2021/05/26/gop-governor-and-lawmakers-clash-over-vaccine-policy/

https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1398674323179675648
https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1398674327382335497

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Just wanna say, for someone who works for the big W pharmacy (in regards to the vaccine) , it went from, "Bro, I can get you in. Just drive 25 mi to this other store. They have it."

Tooooo.... They make daily announcements that vaccines are available NOW, and are even advertising on the LED sign that you can get a Free covid vaccine right now! Walk-ins welcome.

I, and the pharmacist, have literally gone over the PA and said,"Free COVID shots available NOW." And no one cares.

Humanity is too stupid to survive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a chance the outbreak in Melbourne Australia might have spread across the state border already, we slammed the door shut pretty much immediately when we went into emergency lockdown but might not have been fast enough

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1399680726581137408

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Cool, so the next loving time a viral outbreak occurs in the future there will be a goddamn full blownsies pandemic because every red state is full of death cult shitheads. Every Republican is not only a domestic terrorist, they're a walking bioweapon.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

Cool, so the next loving time a viral outbreak occurs in the future there will be a goddamn full blownsies pandemic because every red state is full of death cult shitheads. Every Republican is not only a domestic terrorist, they're a walking bioweapon.

Yeah, a lot of these laws are going to make previously rare or declining diseases make a comeback as well. I know several of them include not being able to require, inquire, or incentivize at all related to ANY vaccination not just the covid one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aardvark! posted:

Has there been anything out of North Korea? I remember seeing something maybe a month ago about them getting quieter than normal.

They're still claiming that they're 100% covid free but they've also been almost completely closed off from the rest of the world for over a year so they're currently in an economic crisis which will probably lead to another famine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, a lot of these laws are going to make previously rare or declining diseases make a comeback as well. I know several of them include not being able to require, inquire, or incentivize at all related to ANY vaccination not just the covid one.

I might be missing something but this sounds like the sort of problem that will take care of itself in time as chud voters in chud states are decimated by preventable diseases.