Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

wheres warhead? loving pointless without that :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

wheres warhead? loving pointless without that :negative:

Haha I posted that exact thing in the Discord. My theory that I’m not bothered to research is that whatever studio they farmed Warhead out to just lost the source code or something.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

oh hell yeah. I know a lot of folks weren't huge fans of the sequels being more linear but since I hadn't played the original it never bothered me. I had a blast running around mostly invisible and with a grossly overpowered bow. Looking forward to doing that again.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

God I really need to look into how to use my Astro City Mini stick with the PS4 now...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

i saw you playing yakuza 3 the other day. :getin:

I will get back to it after DeS!!!

Speaking of which, Veeg's live! https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Niiiiice. I played the remaster of the first one last year on Switch but I haven't played 2 and 3 in several years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to finishing 13 Sentinels. It's really weird so far. I feel less like I'm playing through a story and more than I'm collecting floating parts of a story like a side mission in a Ubisoft game. It'd probably help if I had an idea of or if there was a recommended guide on who to go with at what time. Like, I just did Gouta's first story thing and then the game's like, 'Okay, now the next part unlocks once you've hit 80% story completion for every other character' and like, okay drat, he's the final piece of this game, got it. Was expecting Okino to be a main character but I guess not.

Doesn't help that I flip back and forth on whether I remember people by their first and last names in this game all the time too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

nobody's perfect

I think the two games merit comparison in a lot of ways, and both are noted to be overly long. In A:I's case this is usually referenced as a dealbreaker, whereas in Prey's case it's almost universally forgiven. Personally I find A:I to be a lot more polished, cohesive, and thrilling, but I recognize that a lot of people enjoy the open-endedness of Prey.

Sakurazuka posted:

We're also not in a post-apocalyptic wasteland being hunted by robots

Yet

Well, you're not. People in the middle east however...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Escobarbarian posted:

I will get back to it after DeS!!!

Speaking of which, Veeg's live! https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

I'm so far behind. I'm playing through Last Guardian inspired by VG and I'm about 2/3 through. It's really interesting, I'm not breaking any ground saying the controls can be frustrating. Some of the context stuff with Trico isn't as responsive so I'm not always sure if I'm meant to be platforming or riding my dragon cat. They do a fantastic job creating a connection between you and Trico. It's autonomous, a living creature so I can forgive some frustration.

Good game. Glad I was inspired to give it a go.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Personally I find A:I to be a lot more polished,

Curious to hear in what way, I played both and A:I stinks of “needed another few months” in the polish department, especially the UI.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Curious to hear in what way, I played both and A:I stinks of “needed another few months” in the polish department, especially the UI.

I guess I don't understand, I found the UI in Alien to be thematically appropriate to the lo-fi anachronistic 'future-past' aesthetic they were cultivating in the rest of the game, and reinforced by the fact that the main character is an engineer by training and most of the stuff you do in A:I is hiding and engineering work. It never betrays the design principles that the devs set out in order to stay true to the original movie's feel. I don't think I've seen another licensed game so devoted to accurate thematic cohesion with its game mechanics, and it's obvious that the devs were really emotionally attached to the project. In comparison, and granted that Prey is less linear, Prey devotes a lot of time to inventory management, upgrading and skilltree modification, imprecise quest pathing, and routing the player through multiple loading zones. By the end of Prey I'd kinda stopped caring what sort of ending I was heading toward, which was fine I guess because as far as I can tell the endings don't have much content to them. That said, I really love the opening hours of Prey, but I think it just gets lost in the reeds after the 15 hour mark, juggling too many ideas and not committing to any of them, but maybe that's the story's point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alien Isolation is about 10 hours longer than it needed to be and really suffers for it as the alien ceases to be scary and becomes just plain annoying. If anything it had too much development time to add crap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wait I apologise, I totally forgot how technically atrocious Prey was on PS4, I was way wrong with it being polished. I’m playing it at 60fps with fast load times on the series x right now and it’s like a different game. I’m hoping that Alien gives me a similar feeling.
I do agree that Prey is also a bit overlong but not as much as I felt Alien was.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Alien Isolation is about 10 hours longer than it needed to be and really suffers for it as the alien ceases to be scary and becomes just plain annoying. If anything it had too much development time to add crap.

That's probably true, but it still oozes quality to me. I just really loved the atmosphere of the station and how they let you get really up into its guts manipulating devices in the environment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's probably true, but it still oozes quality to me. I just really loved the atmosphere of the station and how they let you get really up into its guts manipulating devices in the environment.

Funny, that's the same exact compliment your mom gave to me last night. ;)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Funny, that's the same exact compliment your mom gave to me last night. ;)

For a brief moment I questioned using that phrase while writing it...and then I just went for it lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What’s the story with the most recent Deus Ex game, I heard the story doesn’t really finish but does the DLC tie it up or is that just side stuff?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

imprecise quest pathing

IMO, Prey’s a game you play with waypoints off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What’s the story with the most recent Deus Ex game, I heard the story doesn’t really finish but does the DLC tie it up or is that just side stuff?

Mankind Divided is the middle part of a story whose beginning is in a comic book and its ending doesn't exist and never will.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It’s a decent immersive sim, with a really neat, dense central hub. But it feels unfinished. Still totally worth playing if you like that kind of game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Human Revolution was so good, but Mankind Divided feels really unfinished and unpolished, and now we're not likely to see how Adam Jensen's story ends. It gets to the point where things were starting to get really good at the same point in Human Revolution, then...ends (I know Human Revolution had content cut, but there was still a lot in that game).

IIRC, resources earmarked for developing the third Adam Jensen game were instead used for the ill fated Avengers project. I've heard Mankind Divided described as like an old school expansion pack more than a sequel and it fits (I got the day one edition for £5 last year).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

IMO, Prey’s a game you play with waypoints off.

Hmm, I guess that would've been interesting, a lot of the station's internal structure didn't make sense to me, and I normally have excellent spatial memory but it wasn't sticking. I constantly was in conflict over where to go and how to juggle quests or whathaveyou, which is one of my least favorite things in western game design. To compare it with another game where you use signposting, I really enjoyed getting lost in Control and was still able to orient myself eventually even in the worst cases.

OldMemes posted:

IIRC, resources earmarked for developing the third Adam Jensen game were instead used for

tbf lot of that budget was used for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGKfTzHSPc

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

OldMemes posted:

IIRC, resources earmarked for developing the third Adam Jensen game were instead used for the ill fated Avengers project.

Wow imagine being THAT guy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember when Denis Dyack stole money from the X-Men game to develop Eternal Darkness and then it didn’t matter because they had to recall every copy of X-Men Destiny and Too Human due to an Unreal engine licensing dispute and then Silicon Knights went bankrupt.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i tried to forget

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Eternal Darkness 2 I mean. Denis Dyack is underrated as one of gaming’s biggest grifters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Eternal Darkness 2 I mean. Denis Dyack is underrated as one of gaming’s biggest grifters.

1. Molyneux
2. Pitchford
3. Dyak
4. Kutaragi??

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

1. Molyneux
2. Pitchford
3. Dyak
4. Kutaragi??

Schilling

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1. Molyneux
2. Pitchford
3. Dyak
4. Roberts
5. Kutaragi??
6. Schilling

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Howard

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress my life, i could almost slot him #2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Todd’s not nearly as bad as the rest of them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Todd’s not nearly as bad as the rest of them.

He's not as bad a person as Pitchford, no, but he might be a bigger grifter overall

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He’s a good person who makes good games, like my friends over at CDPR. Now to boot up Cyberpunk 2077. But first, a large glass of water

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

He’s a good person who makes good games, like my friends over at CDPR. Now to boot up Cyberpunk 2077. But first, a large glass of water

what HUD and quest poo poo should I turn off to make 2077 bearable to play, this flood of info and inventory poo poo is killing it for me

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

1. Molyneux
2. Pitchford
3. Dyak
4. Roberts
5. Kutaragi??
6. Schilling

Honorable mention: Bob Pelloni

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what HUD and quest poo poo should I turn off to make 2077 bearable to play, this flood of info and inventory poo poo is killing it for me

Try holding the power button for five to ten seconds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t think I turned much HUD stuff off. My solid recommendation is don’t leave the main story missions until you’ve already done shitloads of side stuff, youll be massively overpowered.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think Todd Howard is a grifter. They royally hosed up FO76, but most of their games are janky in a way their fans like or tolerate and you certainly get bang for your buck. And they have mostly been a good publisher that has greenlit a lot of cool stuff that no one else would have. It's just en vogue to poo poo on him because he got semi famous and gamers love to hate people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Try holding the power button for five to ten seconds.

lol