Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

Lmao, I'll bet nitrogen is cheaper, too.

Or N2O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Going out joker laughing sounds uncomfortable and would take a long time if there's oxygen mixed in, nitrogren is the gold-standard in civilised executions.

Also, I need to know all the loving insane details you can provide on this "I married into a local-level cabal" thing. :magical:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My grandfather was a Shriner and I'm glad he never tried to drag me in.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tubgoat posted:

Going out joker laughing sounds uncomfortable and would take a long time if there's oxygen mixed in, nitrogren is the gold-standard in civilised executions.

Also, I need to know all the loving insane details you can provide on this "I married into a local-level cabal" thing. :magical:

nitrous would be fine, you'd lose consciousness very quickly and the whole period before that would just be psychedelic and dissociative

firing squad or hanging would be a lot easier and more "humane" than the gas chamber, but the point is to make sure people suffer as they die because the state/executioners are psycopaths

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

Let's see... Her dad was the head of a non-profit and said that my joining would be good for my business, I had a small manufacturing company at the time. The organization might be good for connections if you're in banking or insurance but nobody manufactured anything and if they did they were big corporate muckity mucks so I tried to weasel my way out of it for a while. My wife said, "Just do it and then quit.". I filledWhen you are inducted part of the form said to include a photo and a short bio. Some people went out and spent money on head shots. I sent a picture of me shooting a water gun at my mom when I was six. They would then read out the bio while your picture was shown on a screen. When the head shot pictures were shown the members would boo and throw stuff at the screen ala Animal House. If someone who had a wife and kids but failed to mention that in their bio they were ridiculed. In my bio I said my life's ambition was to hunt down and kill Charley The Tuna and I was very proud of my 17 year old ant farm. I got applause and positive hoots and hollers. So they all didn't have a rolls of quarters up their asses, most did. Again, a lot of drinking was involved.

The "events" were about lots and lots of drinking. Many of the people knew each other from high school. I didn't know anybody so I'd end up with my father in law and have to smile and meet his old friends who were politically connected. If I wanted to get drunk with strangers I'd rather just go to a bar.

The VP Ball consisted of wearing a tuxedo and sitting in a huge ballroom at a hotel while the city's elite paraded their daughters like heifers to the slaughter. "Announcing Beatrice Throat Warbler Mangrove Busch!", an announcer would say and then everybody would applaud for 20 seconds. Many people are very proud to have their daughters auctioned off. It's a big event for them. Lots and lots of drinking was involved.

The first year I was in the parade I was a clown with an invisible dog. I guess I was good at that so they promoted me to dwarf. We wore giant heads and frightened small children. I made "Dwarf Juice" with Everclear, every frozen juice concentrate, ice and mixed it in a cooler. It was a hit. I think you were supposed to eventually move up the ranks and become a clown on a minibike but I found a home with the dwarfs. I would not accept the promotions offered.

You were obligated to work at The VP Fair itself. I was given a VP hat, a VP belt and a VP shirt. Some people sold beer or soda. I was an Ambassador which meant I got to carry a radio that I would use to contact HQ and tell them that the people selling funnel cakes needed more ice or tell attendees where they could buy a funnel cake. I liked to radio in things like, "There's a guy who's dressed like Jesus and he seems really agitated. I'm in Sector 5". I was in Sector 3. Oddly, you weren't supposed to drink while on the fair grounds.

I did this for every Fourth of July for about 6 years. I suppose if I drank the Kool Aid instead of Dwarf Jooze I could have made it up the ranks and now be fast friends with the head of Mallinkrodt and know some secret handshakes. Oh well... Their secret code to get into an event if you don't have your invite with you is "1902". I think "1902" was chosen because that's the year the building (The Den) where they store the floats was built. I could be wrong. Maybe the code is "1904" when the World's Fair was in St. Louis, people are still acting like that was sooo cool.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

twit666 posted:

Maybe the code is "1904" when the World's Fair was in St. Louis, people are still acting like that was sooo cool.

That's because it's all been downhill for St. Louis since then. That was the last time St. Louis got to be treated like a world city.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

twit666 posted:

Welp! I was in the VP for a number of years. My father in law made me do it. I was a dwarf (sleepy) in the parade. I made "dwarf juice" for me and the 6 other dwarfs. It was very potent and we were very drunk during the parade. When I quit I sent them a letter saying, "I hereby resign from The Order (that's what they call it on the inside). I'm going to start my own secret society and we're going to invite women! Our parties are going to make your parties look like nap time in a kindergarten.". My father in law called me a couple days later, really pissed off and said, "Did you resign from The Order?". I said, "Yeah, pretty funny!". He yelled into the phone, "IT WAS NOT FUNNY! Your letter is making the rounds and it is embarrassing!". I said, "If it is making the rounds then somebody thinks it's funny.". He hung up on me and wouldn't talk to me for months.

lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
drat this thread has C Tier Cabal members in it, what a freaking world

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

twit666 posted:

Let's see... Her dad was the head of a non-profit and said that my joining would be good for my business, I had a small manufacturing company at the time. The organization might be good for connections if you're in banking or insurance but nobody manufactured anything and if they did they were big corporate muckity mucks so I tried to weasel my way out of it for a while. My wife said, "Just do it and then quit.". I filledWhen you are inducted part of the form said to include a photo and a short bio. Some people went out and spent money on head shots. I sent a picture of me shooting a water gun at my mom when I was six. They would then read out the bio while your picture was shown on a screen. When the head shot pictures were shown the members would boo and throw stuff at the screen ala Animal House. If someone who had a wife and kids but failed to mention that in their bio they were ridiculed. In my bio I said my life's ambition was to hunt down and kill Charley The Tuna and I was very proud of my 17 year old ant farm. I got applause and positive hoots and hollers. So they all didn't have a rolls of quarters up their asses, most did. Again, a lot of drinking was involved.

The "events" were about lots and lots of drinking. Many of the people knew each other from high school. I didn't know anybody so I'd end up with my father in law and have to smile and meet his old friends who were politically connected. If I wanted to get drunk with strangers I'd rather just go to a bar.

The VP Ball consisted of wearing a tuxedo and sitting in a huge ballroom at a hotel while the city's elite paraded their daughters like heifers to the slaughter. "Announcing Beatrice Throat Warbler Mangrove Busch!", an announcer would say and then everybody would applaud for 20 seconds. Many people are very proud to have their daughters auctioned off. It's a big event for them. Lots and lots of drinking was involved.

The first year I was in the parade I was a clown with an invisible dog. I guess I was good at that so they promoted me to dwarf. We wore giant heads and frightened small children. I made "Dwarf Juice" with Everclear, every frozen juice concentrate, ice and mixed it in a cooler. It was a hit. I think you were supposed to eventually move up the ranks and become a clown on a minibike but I found a home with the dwarfs. I would not accept the promotions offered.

You were obligated to work at The VP Fair itself. I was given a VP hat, a VP belt and a VP shirt. Some people sold beer or soda. I was an Ambassador which meant I got to carry a radio that I would use to contact HQ and tell them that the people selling funnel cakes needed more ice or tell attendees where they could buy a funnel cake. I liked to radio in things like, "There's a guy who's dressed like Jesus and he seems really agitated. I'm in Sector 5". I was in Sector 3. Oddly, you weren't supposed to drink while on the fair grounds.

I did this for every Fourth of July for about 6 years. I suppose if I drank the Kool Aid instead of Dwarf Jooze I could have made it up the ranks and now be fast friends with the head of Mallinkrodt and know some secret handshakes. Oh well... Their secret code to get into an event if you don't have your invite with you is "1902". I think "1902" was chosen because that's the year the building (The Den) where they store the floats was built. I could be wrong. Maybe the code is "1904" when the World's Fair was in St. Louis, people are still acting like that was sooo cool.

:blessed: post, :cursed: experience. Thanks!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

"civilized executions"

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Tubgoat posted:

:blessed: post, :cursed: experience. Thanks!

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I'm a chunk into a real dogshit book about the massive lsd rollout in the 60s through the brotherhood of eternal love. With the growing conception that mass distributed LSD was used to replace meaningful activists with self-indulgent hippies as the face of branded counterculture and growing knowledge of Haight-Ashbury infiltration by intelligence, I thought the thread would like this excerpt, particularly because the authors saw nothing suspicious

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

well that answers how Haight-Ashbury quickly developed a huge speed market

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

well that answers how Haight-Ashbury quickly developed a huge speed market

Augustus Owsley Stanley III, one of the big "underground" lsd chemists (he was more of a manager) behind the whole movement was obsessed with manufacturing methedrine and actually started manufacturing after building a lab run by his chemist girlfriend for just that purpose until the cops busted it. only afterwards did he move to LA and become a primary LSD mediator for Leary and the Brotherhood, apparently funding the transition with his meth money.

from a Rolling Stone article about the bust

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Spergin Morlock posted:

"civilized executions"
I forgot how to spell "euthanasia," didn't think it looked right and was too lazy to google it. :shrug:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mycomancy posted:

St. Louis and it's surrounding suburban hell is one of the most classist areas of the country in my opinion. A common phrase uttered by STL spawn when meeting outside the Metro area is, "what high school did you go to?" Besides being a grammatically incorrect phrase, it serves to pigeon hole both people into a socioeconomic rank, as well as revealing each person's religion, approximate family income, likely connections, etc. It's loving crazy to see in the real world, like watching a pack of chimps figure out new dominance hierarchies in real time.

the small time version of this is Chattanooga per 2nd sources

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Did not expect to hear a Robert Maxwell joke in Mst3k, but now that I'm in a near state of permanent eye emoji, check around 21:10 (it's a fine joke)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvIKKcjlQ0&t=4s

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

every day i thank myself for never quite getting around to mounting a corkboard on a wall

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

twit666 posted:

The feudal order is still kicking

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Now I'm imagining the inner circle gatherings to just be this stupid poo poo but with a lot more gore and moral depravity and it's completely underwhelming in that way that makes me think i mustve hit the nail on the head because this reality has nothing cool going on and evil has shrouded itself in the banal trappings of rich white people america and is now scared to be even remotely theatrical or interesting.

poo poo at least Bezos is leaning into being Lex Luthor On A Budget

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Adrenochrome with mayonnaise on white bread with a side of st louis "chili"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

another data point in support of the fourth reich thesis

https://twitter.com/find_evil/status/1399248361140670464

...amerikkka

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

crepeface posted:

...amerikkka
, Death to

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Riot Bimbo posted:

ol' JB is currently worth two and a half times Lex Luthor's highest valuation

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FFT posted:

ol' JB is currently worth two and a half times Lex Luthor's highest valuation

Yeah but this is reality so the most he can aspire to is Real Lex Luthor But Only Modestly Wealthy

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Riot Bimbo posted:

Now I'm imagining the inner circle gatherings to just be this stupid poo poo but with a lot more gore and moral depravity and it's completely underwhelming in that way that makes me think i mustve hit the nail on the head because this reality has nothing cool going on and evil has shrouded itself in the banal trappings of rich white people america and is now scared to be even remotely theatrical or interesting.

Actually... I was thinking about my time there a bit more last night. There was a group of guys that were known as The Bengal Lancers, the elite. They did pratfalls during the ball to entertain the gathered gentry. The fell down because..they were drunk! There was talk that they had parties at The Raquet Club where there were hookers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

twit666 posted:

I think you were supposed to eventually move up the ranks and become a clown on a minibike but I found a home with the dwarfs.

hell yeah dude, you do you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

last thing i want to do is dui crash a minibike and be on an operating table in full clown regalia

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Riot Bimbo posted:

The goriest fantasies of what really goes on in a secret society are a cope to avoid dealing with the fact that the ruling class are a bunch of nerdy alcoholics who rule society through a boys' club. They love aping the poo poo some dork read in orientalist fantasy 150 years ago because it's an excuse to flaunt their wealth & power to each other. Society's worst evils are perpetrated by wealthy cosplayers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

ive started just cackling at random times throughout the day as different crack ping trivia flits in and out of my train of thought

I think I may have a condition. I should get a card or something to inform those around me

I was listening to Part 2 of Iran-Contra from the Death Is Just Around The Corner podcast and when the host mentioned "Wackenhut" I burst out laughing

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its all fun and games with the boys till you get the call up

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i gotta admit, i googled for pictures of the kkk parade dwarves

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

i gotta admit, i googled for pictures of the kkk parade dwarves

it does sound like a hell of a fun party.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

mdemone posted:

it does sound like a hell of a fun party.

i want my god drat science words effort post out of you already make with the business

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

This just unearthed some ancient memories of mine when my Dad, who worked for a fortune (50?) big corporation, and who was never home, actually came home one night and manicly scooped up myself and my three sisters and took us to his empty workplace at night and made us do "skits" pretending to work at various coworkers desks and offices while he filmed us on his sony cassette videocam. I don't even want to know what kind of secret society variety show that got viewed at.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i want my god drat science words effort post out of you already make with the business

did I get drunk and promise something? remind me please.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
https://www.geni.com/people/W-T-Kemper/6000000000038301112

quote:

Kemper's history was intertwined with that of Harry S. Truman. Truman's father, John Anderson Truman, traded grain commodities futures alongside Kemper until John Truman lost his fortune. John took Harry, then a teenager, to the local Democratic functions in Kansas City where Kemper was also in attendance. Kemper arranged for Truman to be a page at the 1900 Democratic National Convention in Kansas City. As a young man Harry would go to work in the National Bank of Commerce, 1903–1905, where Kemper was a director. In 1934 during Truman's first run for the United States Senate, Kemper bought the assets of the failed Continental National Bank which included the mortgage on Truman's failed haberdashery and in turn allowed Truman to retire it for $1,000 (while at the same time coincidentally contributing $1,000 to Truman's campaign).

His former residence was at 1007 Westover Road in Kansas City.

He is the great-great-grandfather of actress Ellie Kemper and writer Carrie Kempe

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
The Week: The rush to cancel Ellie Kemper is based on a lie

anyone notice this

1.) contrive r-slurred conclusion in advance of scandal
2.) debunk r-slurred conclusion
3.) no more scandal

pattern the media does all the time?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

The Week: The rush to cancel Ellie Kemper is based on a lie

anyone notice this

1.) contrive r-slurred conclusion in advance of scandal
2.) debunk r-slurred conclusion
3.) no more scandal

pattern the media does all the time?
sure is too bad that article, in making it claim that the KKK robe link is anachronistic, linked to this but then never linked to the author's follow-up:

quote:

Those who have protested the VPO were not protesting what the VP wore or the basis of his creation myth: early 20th-century black St. Louisans protested their exclusion from being considered prominent and successful men (and women) whose goal was to take care of St. Louis; ACTION protested the VPO in the Civil Rights era, not against a racist symbol, but against a racist organization replete with ties to corporations that had the power to enact economic justice by hiring black workers, but did not; and MORE recently demonstrated the connections between members of the VPO and the police in order to protest legacies of structural racism and economic inequality that resulted in racially biased policing. For MORE and ACTION, the VPO offered a place for St. Louis’s most prominent and powerful citizens to forge important connections that allowed them to maintain their influence in a still-segregated city.

(the follow-up is still kinda mealy-mouthed re: the obvious racism of the VP, but it at least rebuts that Yahoo article)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/rjwile/status/1400096946635915267?s=20
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1399848270113955840?s=20