Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

All of that it definitely solid advice.

I will add another thing, and I foresee this getting much worse in the future*, is even though the number of people visiting at the parks are lower, WDW has gotten really good at adjusting staffing and ride capacity in the parks. The bean counters have gotten really good at workforce management, and I'm sure there's a whole team of people dedicated to finding out just how long they can make someone wait before it negatively impacts their enjoyment of the park.

Gone are the days of BTM being a walk on or 5 minute wait. They'll just shut down one side of the track, or run 3 out of 5 trains instead resulting in a 30 minute wait. The omnimover rides like Buzz and Haunted Mansion you can't really do that with, but they can and do pull capacity out of other rides when things are slower.

It still makes it much easier to move around the parks when crowds are lighter though, so that's still a plus.

* There is speculation that Disney is going to keep the park reservation system permanently in order to better balance the crowds across the parks and get even more accurate data for staffing projections.

I've only been visiting WDW since 2015, but there have been some major changes that honestly I haven't been a fan of. Increased hard ticket events, reduced park hours, modifying staffing levels to create artificial waits, all things I'm not a fan of lately. It hasn't been bad enough to get me to stop going, but I will say I've definitely changed how I visit the parks, and my spending habits there.

Right now I don't really care about crowd levels when I visit. I'd prefer to visit during good weather, and when the parks are open longer hours. Generally that's been Mardi Gras/Spring Break times.

All excellent points. I worked at Disney from 2007-2016, and I observed their general guidelines go from "always spend a little more to ensure people have a great time and want to come back", to "use big data to find the exact ratio of enjoyment to dissatisfaction a guest can have to still want to come back". Meaning, previously an attraction would be staffed and budgeted to run at full capacity, and they would only reduce operational capacity if it was slow enough that it wouldn't make a difference (ignoring issues that force reduced capacity). If a ride was a walk-on, they typically wouldn't reduce capacity unless the vehicles weren't even being filled. Today, it's usually more like your example. They'll reduce capacity to save a little money, even though it means people wait 25 minutes instead of 5 minutes, their logic being that 25 minutes is still an "acceptable" wait time.

It's really dumb and misguided, in my opinion. Every guest that experiences those late-night walk-on moments is far more likely to want to return than a guest that doesn't experience any of those moments. All of my greatest Magic Kingdom moments and experiences, for example, come from arriving in the early evening and running around in the last two hours walking on to most of the attractions.

Universal unfortunately has always operated under a similar guideline, only not as calculated. But generally walk-ons = bad, a waste of labor.

Not the same thing but in similar vein, the gift shops in the parks used to include a bunch of loss leaders. Shops that wouldn't sell very much, but their mere existence boosts the overall park experience and perception of value. A shop that sells custom wood carvings might not sell much, but it would add to the thematic atmosphere and people who browse through it will think that it's cool that Disney is offering that service. Today every merchandise shop is perfectly calculated to sell as much as possible, so many shops have repeat and generic merchandise. It sells more, but you feel that you're being marketed to rather than immersed in a setting.

Bottom Liner posted:

Where are you getting that info from? Not doubting you, just curious.

I live right in the heart of the tourist area and my daily commute is through all of it. Traffic has been insane, it constantly feels like its Christmas break with how much traffic there is, how packed the grocery stores and restaurants are, drive throughs wrapping around buildings, etc. I realize this isn't scientific or based on official data or anything, but its noticeably different.

I should also clarify that it isn't necessarily the parks that are busier than average, but just that more people are just coming to Orlando in general. Disney is still seeing lower then average crowds due to still strictly enforcing reduced capacity (I don't think this will last much longer), and while I don't have the official numbers, Universal and SeaWorld have been busier than average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

The other thing about visiting in September that I don't think anyone has mentioned it is that it stands a very real chance of being hotter than satan's butthole. It can get incredibly hot and sticky. There are plenty of places in the US with similar weather, but if you haven't experienced the joy of 90 degrees and heavy humidity, it will make you want to die for a bit.

Yup. October too. In fact they might even be worse than June - August because you don't get the daily afternoon downpour to cool things off. I think people who don't live here assume that September and October will be cooler, but they aren't. The earliest it cools down is late October, but more often it doesn't happen until mid November.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Boxman posted:

The other thing about visiting in September that I don't think anyone has mentioned it is that it stands a very real chance of being hotter than satan's butthole. It can get incredibly hot and sticky. There are plenty of places in the US with similar weather, but if you haven't experienced the joy of 90 degrees and heavy humidity, it will make you want to die for a bit.

I live in the VA/DC/MD area so I’m pretty familiar with that kind of weather. Not as bad as FL can get but not far off. Since we’re not coordinating with other people (for this trip at least) it shouldn’t be too bad to manage a balance of park and hotel time during the hottest hours.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and insight.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I can tell it's getting crazy busy again because I got denied from parking at GF to go to Enchanted Rose. Normally we drive up, say we're meeting friends at the lounge, and that's it. When it's busy, they say no. Last guy asked me for the name and room number of our friends. That was awkward.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Omne posted:

I can tell it's getting crazy busy again because I got denied from parking at GF to go to Enchanted Rose. Normally we drive up, say we're meeting friends at the lounge, and that's it. When it's busy, they say no. Last guy asked me for the name and room number of our friends. That was awkward.

A lot of that is due to a lot of room closures for refurb at other deluxe. Poly and Contemporary are both mostly closed roomwise right now. We met friends at the Poly a few times this week with no problem, but when we stayed at the Grand last week it was almost full.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

All excellent points. I worked at Disney from 2007-2016

Ahh for some reason I didn't pick up on the fact you were a CM.

March 2016 was the absolute best WDW trip we've had so far. My wife and I did the Extra Magic hours the Wednesday night and MK was open until like 1 or 2AM that night. We were the only 2 people back in fantasyland at one point, it was 1000% amazing. Those days are long gone though :(

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I live in NC and Orlando in early October was a new level of hell. You can really feel how much closer to the sun you are.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's alit of money going around it seems to everybody, so I expect this summer to be nuts everywhere although eventually something's gotta burst.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

There's alit of money going around it seems to everybody

:wtf:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most people then. It's impossible to find most nicer model new cars above a Camry, which is usually a good I dictation of the economy or that the auto industry is using sub prime lending

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

There's a chip shortage

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah. The F-150 plants (the number 1 seller in the US) have been shut down for like a month now.

But also your sentences were weird. Not sure if you were having a stroke or an auto correct issue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Most people then.

as usual, you're talking out of your rear end.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/covid-poverty-america/

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-emerging-markets-middle-class/

quote:

An estimated 150 million slipped down the economic ladder in 2020, the first pullback in almost three decades.

quote:

The COVID-19 downturn curbed growth in the global middle class, increased poverty sharply in 2020

quote:

data from Census’ Current Population Survey and the Department of Labor, show that tens of millions of people are out of work and struggling to afford adequate food and pay the rent.

quote:

Even as COVID-19 prompted initial shutdowns in March and some sectors of the economy ground to a halt, income tax credits for eligible families helped offset losses, lowering the poverty rate to 12 percent for that month. The monthly poverty rate hit a pandemic-era high of 17.3 percent in August.

quote:

“We’re seeing in the data that racial and ethnic minorities are more likely to have lost their jobs,” Parolin said. “They’re less likely to be able to work from home.”

quote:

“What we’re finding in terms of food hardship is kind of off the charts right now,”

note the dates.

Also I might be getting some substantial money soon...looking at buying a house or condo around Celebration

mystery solved. now kindly gently caress off.

To make this thread relevant, I personally know a lot of disney workers that are still out of work, some that lost their apartments, and some that are about to lose more because of desantis ending the bare loving minimum federal surplus unemployment benefits because he's a ghoul. Anyone so naive as to think everyone is doing dandy needs to wake the gently caress up and have some empathy for the tens of millions that are struggling through the pandemic and don't have the luxury of a windfall of cash.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 2, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No I do understand, I just think the average income of someone who can go to Disney / travel has only risen since 2019, which is why park attendance and tourism in general is going to be bonkers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

“Everybody” and “‘most people” doesn’t mean that at all.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Boo Bash tickets will go on sale starting June 15, though some resort guests will get early access on June 8. Tickets will cost between $129 and $199 depending on the date.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

apparently Disney Twitter is melting down over the cost but I'll be happy if it reduces the crowds

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It doesn't help that before COVID the concept of a "slow season" didn't really exist anymore. It used to be that January, February, September, and October were more or less guaranteed light crowds. Growing up my family and I always came during these times and rarely ever experienced long waits. These days, pre-covid, you might get a slow week here or there but it's a crapshoot, and the weekends are still crazy. Another one is the first two weeks of December. Historically the parks would be a ghost town at this time but now they're really busy. Part of it is the internet allowing everyone to know the "lightest" times and booking around that information, and another part of it is Disney perfected their marketing to kind of even out the crowds throughout the year and as well as fill in the light periods.

Disney themselves used to show you where slow season was because they priced the hotels much lower.

I'm grateful I got to go to Disney World, but it ended when they replaced large windows of hotel rates with rates that vary day to day like Las Vegas. If it's not worth going unless I'm there for a week, AND the weekend night is as expensive as two nights, why go.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

apparently Disney Twitter is melting down over the cost but I'll be happy if it reduces the crowds

It really doesn't feel that steep to me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I’m not thrilled with the cost. It seems awfully steep for a party with no parades and meets.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Braksgirl posted:

I’m not thrilled with the cost. It seems awfully steep for a party with no parades and meets.

This is my initial take as well, the price seems really high for a watered down MNSSHP.

People are going to pay it though, we all know that.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I wish they had dates when I was going to be in town for the 50th. Reduced crowds at MK would be worth it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Did they leave the door open for parade and meets if conditions improve?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Craptacular! posted:

Disney themselves used to show you where slow season was because they priced the hotels much lower.

I'm grateful I got to go to Disney World, but it ended when they replaced large windows of hotel rates with rates that vary day to day like Las Vegas. If it's not worth going unless I'm there for a week, AND the weekend night is as expensive as two nights, why go.

With how little Disney is offering today, especially with magical express soon gone, I think places like Swan and Dolphin are going to look like better and better options for people. I'm biased since I go on points, but unless dining plan comes back and you want that, why not save 20%+ and book there?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

skipdogg posted:

This is my initial take as well, the price seems really high for a watered down MNSSHP.

People are going to pay it though, we all know that.

I'm paying for it for my wife and I, it will be awesome if the crowds are smaller than MNSSHP. When we went to that, it was packed to the gills

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Did they leave the door open for parade and meets if conditions improve?

your average performance like that is rehearsing before now, but it's possible that they could roll out boo to you because for gently caress's sakes, surely the people who would be involved know the choreography by now.

Braksgirl posted:

see, I think that's just it: neither of those really matter a lot to me and I liked the after-hours event that I went to (whatever they were called in 2018, I can't remember; the price was similar) and it has kinda the same vibe.

of course, if it's as full as MNSSHP has been the past few years, eh.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I liked the after-hours event that I went to (whatever they were called in 2018, I can't remember; the price was similar) and it has kinda the same vibe.

Those were just called Disney After Hours, and I found those to be worth it between the snacks and really low attendance numbers. I probably wouldn't spend for Animal Kingdom again, but I would 100% totally do DAH at Magic Kingdom for sure. I really don't like hard ticket events, but that one was worth it.

I guess the Boo Bash is officially called "Disney After Hours Boo Bash", so it's really a DAH event with some theming it seems.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

your average performance like that is rehearsing before now, but it's possible that they could roll out boo to you because for gently caress's sakes, surely the people who would be involved know the choreography by now.
see, I think that's just it: neither of those really matter a lot to me and I liked the after-hours event that I went to (whatever they were called in 2018, I can't remember; the price was similar) and it has kinda the same vibe.

of course, if it's as full as MNSSHP has been the past few years, eh.

Honestly, I hear you on this. To me, the biggest bonus for the Halloween party was wearing costumes and seeing all the other great costumes. The candy was also nice as well (bring back the bananas you cowards)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All of it matters to us. The costumes, the characters, the candy, the parade. Taking most of that away for double the price and shorter hours is absolutely no deal IMO. This is more about exclusivity access than atmosphere imo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My favorite after hours was at magic kingdom and it was basically like having the park to yourself, at night, and doing whatever the good goddamn gently caress I wanted whenever I wanted and all of those things are super high on my list of good things. I would probably steal candy from a baby for an epcot version that isn't dvc exclusive.

but then, I don't like babies so it's not like that's a far reach for me anyhow.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/boo-hoo-bash.3839676/ anyway, boo hoo bash slayed me so here's a big thread. It's cool to not be down with the price or the experience, it just appeals to me. I wish it were feasible for the parks to be open 24/7 (I know it's not; maintenance and staffing etc, etc) because I'm sun sensitive, heat sensitive, and I just do better in the evening overall. So that's probably why I'm so down with the after hours stuff regardless of the price of it.

E: Also I pretty much plan my stay on going to MNSSHP first thing upon arrival so really all I'm missing is boo to you in this and the fireworks, and I've seen both so many times now I don't really care all that much.

I'm probably still not going (unless both hospice dogs have passed) but I look forward to the vlogger coverage from it.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 2, 2021

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Braksgirl posted:

Boo Bash tickets will go on sale starting June 15, though some resort guests will get early access on June 8. Tickets will cost between $129 and $199 depending on the date.

Do you know which resorts will get the early access? We're staying in one of the Disney Springs area resorts that is a "good neighbor" resort. I hope we qualify. We'll be there early October.

100% we're going for the exclusivity. Halloween decor is a nice bonus.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Nanigans posted:

Do you know which resorts will get the early access? We're staying in one of the Disney Springs area resorts that is a "good neighbor" resort. I hope we qualify. We'll be there early October.

100% we're going for the exclusivity. Halloween decor is a nice bonus.

I have no idea. If I hear something I'll let you know.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is there any indication Disneyland is doing any sort of Halloween ticketed event?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Braksgirl posted:

I have no idea. If I hear something I'll let you know.

Thank you so much!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it possible to just go to Disneyland yet or is it all reservation basdd

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
park pass system is in place for Disneyland and DCA

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If they're dropping masks and poo poo everywhere they need to drop the park pass poo poo, too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/carlyewisel/status/1400286359646965761?s=19

The Spider Man robot in action here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Is it possible to just go to Disneyland yet or is it all reservation basdd

California parks are all reservation based for capacity control and CA resident only just because. These restrictions might drop on the 15th and make my job in an admissions department much easier.