Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We've known for a while that L. Ron Hubbard tried to collaborate on a movie with Leni Riefenstahl, but someone just found a full script in the UK's archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Elron spent like a week in the Pacific attacking what he swore up and down was a Japanese submarine but was actually a rock.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Phanatic posted:

Elron spent like a week in the Pacific attacking what he swore up and down was a Japanese submarine but was actually a rock.

"So dumb he couldn't sink a rock" just kinda rolls off the tongue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Here’s the interview I was thinking of:

https://youtu.be/O9AGVARpqdk

Harlan Ellison was a prick but he was also a pretty fascinating guy.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Phanatic posted:

battle of the brick

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmao this is great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

He also claims he was severely injured in combat (note: he does not have a Purple Heart) and that through the power of his mind he was able to completely repair his body. He was basically the prototypical stolen valor guy running around telling people he had like 30 medals, many of which didn't exist during WWII and others that don't make sense.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rascar Capac posted:

https://twitter.com/sludge_worm/status/1399417276915355655?s=19

I think this means that his career is currently going better than De Niro's.

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1399522643116662786?s=19

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So is Satan lo Mark?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

koshmar posted:

I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say that there are Christians who think Jesus literally put quill to paper and wrote the Bible, in English.

Most of them still think Jesus is some magical white dude. Despite, y'know, a manger surrounded by camels. And sand. And 3 wise men that look suspiciously Middle Eastern.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Three Wisemen were Magi (or Zoroastrians) meaning they probably came from even further east from Persia and Central Asia.

In some traditions one is Indian, one is Arabian, and one is Persian. In other traditions there's twelve of them because the bible is a bit vague about all this allowing for a bunch of speculation and fan fiction.

Here's a modern recreation of how the Wisemen might've looked like

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are three named gifts presented by the Magi (gold, frankincense, myrrh) and that’s it. That’s where their number comes from.

You got three gifts for Christmas, so you must have three daddies, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Platystemon posted:

There are three named gifts presented by the Magi (gold, frankincense, myrrh) and that’s it. That’s where their number comes from.

You got three gifts for Christmas, so you must have three daddies, right?

Look, it was a long journey, they're all kinda throwing it together last-minute, they all chipped in on a few big presents instead of a bunch of little ones.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, it was a long journey, they're all kinda throwing it together last-minute, they all chipped in on a few big presents instead of a bunch of little ones.

I always through gold, frankincense and myrrh had powerful "dad flew in last minute for christmas and the presents were whatever they had at the duty free" energy

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That or they were just really unimaginative. "poo poo you already got him Myrrh?! - well what the gently caress am I meant to get him then"

"Just give him more myrrh it's not like he cares it's more for the parents anyway"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure it was Roman-era shorthand for 'expensive and fancy stuff'.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's also hilariously useless, lemme just burn some frankincense in this literal hovel I'm sitting in aw poo poo I feel better already. Or was frankincense exchangable for goods and services?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah Barney's donkeys only accepted denarii and diners card

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If Jesus was born today the wise men from the east would bring him a PS5, an iPhone, and a 2021 Toyota Tacoma.

Joseph like Jesus Christ, how am I supposed to afford insurance and gas?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zedprime posted:

If Jesus was born today the wise men from the east would bring him a PS5, an iPhone, and a 2021 Toyota Tacoma.

Stating to see things differently, I think jesus was probably just another enormous rear end in a top hat creep like trump or any other horribly cult leader, and everything known about him is revisionist bullshit.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I just googled Myrrh and Frankincense instead of guessing

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

zedprime posted:

that must have been pretty confusing when ppl stubbed their toe around Jesus and he's like what? And they're like no the corner of the recliner got me

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Stating to see things differently, I think jesus was probably just another enormous rear end in a top hat creep like trump or any other horribly cult leader, and everything known about him is revisionist bullshit.

This is basically what Jesus Christ Superstar is about.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Who What Now posted:

Nobody knows how the trinity works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXoKuX0xmog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure it was Roman-era shorthand for 'expensive and fancy stuff'.

No, it was Jewish shorthand for "stuff you give to holy people". Gold because it was valuable, frankincense because it was what was burned in the Temple when giving an offering to God, and myrrh oil because that was what was traditionally used to anoint holy persons and kings.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SpacePig posted:

It is not.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Memento posted:

I always through gold, frankincense and myrrh had powerful "dad flew in last minute for christmas and the presents were whatever they had at the duty free" energy

They all agreed to a $20 limit on the gifts but the one that suggested the limit was the one that went with gold.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They all agreed to a $20 limit on the gifts but the one that suggested the limit was the one that went with gold.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

SpacePig posted:

It absolutely is not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh gently caress I wonder if they have any of those discounted, probably my favourite chocolate box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LifeSunDeath posted:

My take's always been that Jesus was just the one guy with a shred of common sense in that era.

"For DAD'S SAKE, stop fighting over the food, you idiots. Look; Cut up the fish and bread, and now there's sandwiches for everyone instead of you fighting over individual loaves and fish."

"Look; get some twine, tie it to a stick, bait a metal hook on the end. Now you can get your own fish and stop asking me to do it for you".

"This isn't water, I made wine from those tubers and it just came out clear. And stronnngg, Holy Ghost is this stuff strong..."

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I know what a Jesus is and I know that Jesus Christ Superstar is some sort of play but I’m always out of my element and confused because I never know enough detail to follow any derail on these forums

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

freeedr posted:

I know what a Jesus is

You may know what A Jesus is but do you know what D Jesus is?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Sure he's a monster, but check out those gams!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those are the givenchiest slides I’ve ever seen, ngl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Those are the givenchiest slides I’ve ever seen, ngl

Givenchy deez nuts to suck.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Roblo posted:

That or they were just really unimaginative. "poo poo you already got him Myrrh?! - well what the gently caress am I meant to get him then"

"Just give him more myrrh it's not like he cares it's more for the parents anyway"

myrrh-der!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Jesus christ superstar is great, if you dont know what its about just watch it. Judas is hot if that helps motivate you.