Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Properly giggling at the post, Slavvy. Heh.

Slavvy posted:

They often assume they are the first person to ever encounter a problem and must thus develop a solution from first principles

ROFLMAO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sorry I missed this until now, what is this bike? A Bantam or something?

It is a 1950 Bantam D1.

Luckily this bike was restored by my old man who was not an engineer so no stupid hacks. I did notice that the chain adjusters had different threads but had the same nuts yet somehow it had not fallen off. :dafuq:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

All of this is totally in line with being an engineer. Especially the compulsion to do a weird workaround instead of fixing it the 'boring' way, innovation or no practical experience idk.

I've found that when I meet someone who has very strong opinions about areas outside their expertise and is convinced they have it figured out despite being demonstrably wrong, nine times out of ten they're a computer toucher or engineer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jury rigged a garage door opener in my cockpit.

Bought a cheap garage door opener and flush momentary switch from Amazon and wired the two together. I wouldn’t say it looks OEM but it’s very clean and I can stop rummaging in my pockets to open the garage when I pull into the drive.

Not gonna lie, taking a drill to my cockpit plastic was pretty :ohdear:..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Luckily at this very instant there are a hundred other ninja 650's being plowed into a ditch or ebay farkled beyond recognition so you're not destroying anything valuable and are in fact better than most owners!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I've found that when I meet someone who has very strong opinions about areas outside their expertise and is convinced they have it figured out despite being demonstrably wrong, nine times out of ten they're a computer toucher or engineer.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen some dunderheaded climate change denialism preceded by "I'm an engineer and". I sometimes wonder if it's a case of having enough skillset in working from first principles to be dangerous, combined with being in a career that doesn't really reward you for questioning your own conclusions early and often.

Anyway! I put the wheels back on today. Found out I badly need rear brake pads, replaced the locknut I mangled with a nylock due to not really having a better option readily available, and cleaned and waxed the chain for good measure. Did the bouncy-bouncy thing on the front forks before tightening everything back up, as well as making sure the rear axle pucks were at the same timing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen some dunderheaded climate change denialism preceded by "I'm an engineer and". I sometimes wonder if it's a case of having enough skillset in working from first principles to be dangerous, combined with being in a career that doesn't really reward you for questioning your own conclusions early and often.

Engineers are to STEM-adjacent fields as nurses are to medicine and biology. Both require a lot of training but an awful lot of it is rote memorisation, both (can) have massive responsibility on them but they're covered as long as they do exactly what it says in the books, and so both often mistake the knowledge they have for intelligence, and tend towards false authority/Dunning Kruger/whatever you want to call this phenomenon.

(Of course we all know the *true* genius is the dilettante who quickly reads up Wikipedia on a subject before spouting off with total authority on any given subject rather than just limiting themselves to one field that they're dumb in)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The engineer thing is present in every field that values providing a solution more than anything else, including finding out if anyone wants a solution.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
After much loving around trying to get the springs on yesterday, a post-coffee idea hit this morning to do each one separately using a wire coat hanger. Some extra grunt courtesy of my Mom for the 2nd spring and the centrestand is on. :toot:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

After much loving around trying to get the springs on yesterday, a post-coffee idea hit this morning to do each one separately using a wire coat hanger. Some extra grunt courtesy of my Mom for the 2nd spring and the centrestand is on. :toot:

Way back when I owned a CB250, it was possible to fit an overseas centerstand to them. On the mailing list (dating myself here), a guy shared a technique that involved shoving dimes or pennies into the spaces in between each coil to lengthen the spring before putting it on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

Way back when I owned a CB250, it was possible to fit an overseas centerstand to them. On the mailing list (dating myself here), a guy shared a technique that involved shoving dimes or pennies into the spaces in between each coil to lengthen the spring before putting it on.
Yeah that was also recommended when I was googling around but you really need a vice to hold the end.

Also :laffo: at the new thread title

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Aftermarket exhausts frequently come with a little pre-shaped coat hanger for the springs so I've got a bunch laying around just for the job, it's super handy.

Slide Hammer posted:

This is some psychotic poo poo, I'll bet he was an engineer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought a $10 2-pack of spring pullers from Amazon just for stupid bike stuff.

I thought it’d be a waste of money as I’d only use once or twice but that $10 has saved me a ton of frustration not just on bikes, but also around the house and car.

I’m starting to accumulate a full toolbox drawer of “things I thought I’d only use once but they’re now my favourite thing”.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Please post more examples from that drawer!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Please post more examples from that drawer!

Yeah I didn't mean for that to sound like I had some assortment of oddball tools, it's standard stuff just not things I'd expected to use over a standard screwdriver or socket wrench. T-handle wrenches are now my favourite thing and I will use one over a screwdriver every opportunity I get. But also a whole collection of lights. Magnetic lights, lights with legs that I can wrap around things, headlamps. You can never have enough light when working on anything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I didn't mean for that to sound like I had some assortment of oddball tools, it's standard stuff just not things I'd expected to use over a standard screwdriver or socket wrench. T-handle wrenches are now my favourite thing and I will use one over a screwdriver every opportunity I get. But also a whole collection of lights. Magnetic lights, lights with legs that I can wrap around things, headlamps. You can never have enough light when working on anything.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: lighting is the single most important thing in your workspace.

It doesn’t matter if you wrench in an empty airplane hangar, if it’s lit like an underground cave, it’s all for nothing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lightin, any kind of table/bench and a clean level floor are the minimum to qualify as non-field-repairs for me.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
After putting clipons on the Scrambler, with the bar-end mirrors, the stock clutch lever would hit the mirror any time I pulled it in. The weather here is trash this weekend, so I set aside some time yesterday to replace them, assuming it would take up a bit of my afternoon and give me something to do.

It took me.. 90 seconds? I assumed I'd have to gently caress with the clutch and brake cables but they're just integrated into the lever housing thing there. There's just a little bolt and a retaining nut keeping the lever in place.

Anyway now part of my bike is red so it's not just black and silver.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do you like the shorties? I learned to ride on them thanks to the PO’s love of eBay parts. Was a little weird to switch back to long levers once I bought a new bike but now I’m not sure I could go back to shorties.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

How do you like the shorties? I learned to ride on them thanks to the PO’s love of eBay parts. Was a little weird to switch back to long levers once I bought a new bike but now I’m not sure I could go back to shorties.

Because of the weather I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they're basically just in the spots where my fingers go anyway, so it shouldn't be too different. Also when the Scrambler tried to commit suicide and one of them broke, it was basically down to a short lever, and I didn't really notice the difference in using it before replacing it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Strife posted:

After putting clipons on the Scrambler, with the bar-end mirrors, the stock clutch lever would hit the mirror any time I pulled it in. The weather here is trash this weekend, so I set aside some time yesterday to replace them, assuming it would take up a bit of my afternoon and give me something to do.

It took me.. 90 seconds? I assumed I'd have to gently caress with the clutch and brake cables but they're just integrated into the lever housing thing there. There's just a little bolt and a retaining nut keeping the lever in place.

Anyway now part of my bike is red so it's not just black and silver.

Bikes haven't used brake cables for ages, and in your case the clutch is also hydraulic. The housing is the master cylinder.
I've had bad luck with similar levers from eBay (maybe yours are genuine?), the brake lever would stay ever so slightly engaged and that would eventually result in boiling brake fluid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are the dreaded eBay shitters, I see them every day. Sometimes they work fine, other times they stick the brakes on or drag the clutch or make it impossible to disengage the clutch or get a good cable adjustment. The pivot ratio is always wrong, the fit on the pivot bolt is usually loose.

I have them on my bandit and they're fine. My brake and clutch mc don't match so having the 'correct' levers would drive me crazy.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Put a new headlight on (again) as part of a general facelift a few weeks ago, and got around to putting decals on today. I'd like a yellow detail panel for the rear eventually.

There's a bit of a laundry list building up for this bike but I'm stubbornly waiting until the workshop is finished to do them. No more hunting for nuts and bolts in the gravel thank you very much

The subframe on the 650r is notoriously the worst part of the machine and I need to find a way to reinforce it before I do adventure camping in the summer. I also need to rebuild the forks

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 31, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

High Protein posted:

Bikes haven't used brake cables for ages, and in your case the clutch is also hydraulic. The housing is the master cylinder.
I've had bad luck with similar levers from eBay (maybe yours are genuine?), the brake lever would stay ever so slightly engaged and that would eventually result in boiling brake fluid.

These were seemingly the only ones in stock. They’re the lovely cheap ones but I don’t intend to use them for long.

Maybe I’d be better off just grinding my stock ones down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Changed the oil on the W, and once again I'm thankful I do my own work. Does it take 5 times longer than it would if a professional did it? Sure, but also nothing is stuck or seized and there's no surprises.

Besides it's gorgeous weather for just chilling in the back yard and I'm having a good time even if I don't get much done. Low stakes wrenching is good times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just ordered some oil for my 650 too. Threw an ez-drain valve on it last year so unless I’m swapping the filter it’s literally five minutes work and the only tool involved in the process is me :cool:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
After installing the new tires I didn't ride until this morning. They feel a little twitchy, but since I'm not loading them real hard (ie not super worried about the mold release oil thing) I'm kind of assuming it's because I'm going from old squared-off PR2s that I didn't often get past the square on anyway, to a brand-new taller profile tire.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Washed it.

Re-rust-proofered it.

Went for a 2h long ride, then, on the way back, this happened, while waiting with a bunch of other bikers at the lights, which was cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw7Pn1nos8c

TLDW:

Biker 1: vroom.
Biker 2: vroom.
Me: VROOOOM.
Biker 1: *thumbs up*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Biker 1: vroom.
Biker 2: vroom.
Me: VROOOOM.
Biker 1: *thumbs up*

Everyone else on the street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhsbfQTPDQ&t=9s

joking, joking, I kid because I love :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Low stakes wrenching is good times.

It really is. Music on. Cold beverage. Good times

Martytoof posted:

the only tool involved in the process is me :cool:

I mean. If I didn’t JUST change the title

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Everyone else on the street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhsbfQTPDQ&t=9s

joking, joking, I kid because I love :haw:

Heh. A good documentary!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Strife posted:

Because of the weather I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they're basically just in the spots where my fingers go anyway, so it shouldn't be too different. Also when the Scrambler tried to commit suicide and one of them broke, it was basically down to a short lever, and I didn't really notice the difference in using it before replacing it.

Trip report: they're fine. I don't even notice that they're much shorter than the stock ones.

I'm not sure how they'd stick, but I could see that little adjuster doodad getting screwed up. They'll at least tide me over until the Puig ones I want are back in stock.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Done going over the tenere after getting the oil filters delivered yesterday. In one of the bolt holes for the oil filer housing the threads partially stripped out. It's a deep bolt with only threads far in so getting to the threads to refresh them requires removing the RH side crank case cover. While I wait for the proper gasket for the crank cover I just used the remaining bolts and some liquid gasket on the oil filter housing to be sure its not leaking.

Found one more PO fuckery

Improper use of the lock ring on the H4 lamp, that tab from the bulb that is visible needs to be bent away before I can change the bulb.

Did some investigation, I got high/low H4 on left side, right side is H1.
Only the british model for 88-91 came with a right side h4 lamp. I doubt I can find that one. The left side has brackets the wrong places so it's not drop in at least.
Looks like having dual lights both in high and low mode is a small project.

Added switched usb power, gps dock, swapped the main fuse(and as stock, the only fuse, hello 80 electrical setups, single 20 amp fuse) to mini bladed type from old style glass.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Rode the GS, Oldwing and Seca today. My brother took my kids to the zoo so it was on.

I've decided the goldwing needs the float levels checked. The high speed bog feels like the bowls getting low, then filling back up as I let off, because it come and goes just that easily. I'll clean the main jet while I'm in there.

The Seca starting circuit got hosed when I removed the tank a few months ago so I'm just shorting the solenoid with a pair of pliers to get it going. Whatever I did when I pulled the carb rack ruined what little idle it had, so I guess it's time to play "find the air leak" again. I've had the bike so long that I am my own PO as of now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AnnoyBot posted:

Rode the GS, Oldwing and Seca today. My brother took my kids to the zoo so it was on.

I've decided the goldwing needs the float levels checked. The high speed bog feels like the bowls getting low, then filling back up as I let off, because it come and goes just that easily. I'll clean the main jet while I'm in there.

Sounds like a failing fuel pump tbh.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like a failing fuel pump tbh.

I installed an electric pump a month ago. The issue did not change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting. It doesn't leave much beyond the floats. It would be weird for all of them to be low but PO's I guess. Or you have a delivery problem to the pump itself maybe?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

is there a kinked hose anywhere like coming off the fuel pump?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Clogged fuel filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had a load of pain in my left wrist last time I took the bike out so finally bothered changing the angle of the lever to a more natural angle. Literally a 1-minute job, why didn't I do that before.