Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Slotducks posted:

oh this reminds me- our company requires us to put our email address in our email signature

WHY

For everyone who prints out their emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slotducks posted:

oh this reminds me- our company requires us to put our email address in our email signature

WHY

Because some middle management marketing dumbass is worried that your email signature isnt projecting the right image.
During our recent rebranding the marketing director wanted use to install some random bullshit on everybody’s computers to make sure their email signature conformed to company standards.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did someone take a shopping cart and start using it to move parts around a dealership?

When I worked at Costco years ago our managers found out a neighboring apt building had a collection of our carts they used to move stuff around and we were sent to retrieve them. We got them back without a fuss, there must have been over 20 or so.

It was interesting working with fellow teens who were in their first job ever. Most were fine but it was odd trying to tell a new guy when it's 90+ degrees out he should accept the sunscreen and water cooler, and not opt for a giant coke and pizza before starting an 8 hour shift. At least we got him into the shade a few hours later before his body totally quit on him.

Yep. I asked the kid today if he's going shopping. Personally I have a $150 tool cart that can hold 350lbs. I would be embarrassed to have a customer see that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bloodysabbath posted:

My job is an allied health position within a local government agency that is run by the criminally incompetent and notoriously corrupt.

Within said agency, we are the only department that has been able to generate its own revenue during the pandemic, because telehealth. But the stunningly inept managers and middle managers and administrators couldn’t wait to get us back in to babysit in order to justify their own positions.

At first, it was rotations. Basically, we were forced to come back in 2-3 days a week to make phone and zoom calls because other non-revenue generating departments complained loudly.

During the past 16 months, we were also berated at every turn about how we could be let go at any time and that nobody should expect to WFH forever. Standards were also extremely, unevenly enforced, with those closest to the department head basically having a 16 month vacation. Also, it’s an open secret that my department head basically sits in their office all day with the door shut, running a private practice on agency time. My supervisor does the same thing but with his slumlording hustle.

One time, during the height of our COVID cases, they tried to force me to cover an assignment outside of my job description in conditions that absolutely would have been a major infection risk, because a major player was demanding it get done and my supervisor didn’t want to risk his own health. They hosed right off after I invoked OSHA - the case was referred to HR but nobody ever said a peep.

Then they decreed that in June, we will all be required to come back 5 days a week. I put in my 2 weeks. At my new company I am now going to be working ~1/2 - 3/4 the hours for about the same money, split between home zoom and office. And I can pick my hours, because I like late afternoon/evenings, and getting in 8:30 and staying until 5 even if I have like 3 clients is bullshit.

As for them: Thanks to their bleeding talent over the past year and a half, when I leave, they will have literally nobody free who is competent enough to perform my specialized duties. My direct supervisor will likely be the one to do it, and he is the most incompetent man alive. I legitimately fear for my clients.

Oh and they’re on a mandatory hiring freeze. That agency won’t be there in five years.

Dang that sounds bad.

Pre-covid, my MegaCorp's boomer leadership did not want any WFH despite it being very common among our peers. As it was constantly requested, they claimed to have rolled out a small pilot program for one or two teams to test this wild idea. This was taking months with zero chance it would lead to any changes.

Fast forward and I've been WFH for about 15 months and have been able to do 100% of my work with no issues. Our CEO sent an email about how they plan to bring people back, and in response to the demand for continued WFH options they are totally going to test the idea of a hybrid model with a small amount of teams. Like somehow having thousands of employees WFH generated insufficient data about if this was preferable and easily feasible.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I intentionally leave my phone number off of my email signature because, if I'm emailing you, I don't want you to call me. In fact, I'd rather no one ever call me for any reason ever. My voicemail greeting says my email address three times and spells it twice. Way too many loving boomers see a phone # and instantly call, then leave a voicemail that just says, "Hey this is So N. So, call me."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Imagined posted:

I intentionally leave my phone number off of my email signature because, if I'm emailing you, I don't want you to call me. In fact, I'd rather no one ever call me for any reason ever. My voicemail greeting says my email address three times and spells it twice. Way too many loving boomers see a phone # and instantly call, then leave a voicemail that just says, "Hey this is So N. So, call me."

I don't have a phone number on my sig because we got rid of our phones pre-COVID in favor of some softphone solution and my account never got enable on it for me to set up so I just plain don't have a phone number because I can't be bothered enough to get it fixed, LOL.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Imagined posted:

Yeah, emails with a customer is the best. Having a record of them asking you to do something is a real gift when they turn around and claim you weren't supposed to do said thing at a later date when they realise they hosed up.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

(wrong post)

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang that sounds bad.

Pre-covid, my MegaCorp's boomer leadership did not want any WFH despite it being very common among our peers. As it was constantly requested, they claimed to have rolled out a small pilot program for one or two teams to test this wild idea. This was taking months with zero chance it would lead to any changes.

Fast forward and I've been WFH for about 15 months and have been able to do 100% of my work with no issues. Our CEO sent an email about how they plan to bring people back, and in response to the demand for continued WFH options they are totally going to test the idea of a hybrid model with a small amount of teams. Like somehow having thousands of employees WFH generated insufficient data about if this was preferable and easily feasible.

After we had been working from home for a year my boss wanted additional feedback from the staff on how it was going. They sent out surveys to our teams with very obvious push questions like: "What is more important to you: A: being able to continue working from home or B: being able to provide high quality service while maintaining positive relationships with your boss, co-workers, and clients?" When staff still said they preferred working from home they just ignored that and said that they have had higher turnover this year and the reason must be because of working from home so get ready to come back 3 days a week.

My team of course has had historically low turnover this last year and also works in a tiny satellite office that was too small pre-pandemic, and we have added a significant number of people to the team. I should bring all this up, but my boss has outright told me that they don't like it when I challenge their decisions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, emails with a customer is the best. Having a record of them asking you to do something is a real gift when they turn around and claim you weren't supposed to do said thing at a later date when they realise they hosed up.

Email conversations are my main mode of conversation at work for this specific reason. I also save all my emails because you'll occasionally get someone try to bring up something from months or even years earlier and their faulty memory is almost always considered word of god unless you can provide evidence against them.

On the other hand, back when I had a contractor working with me in the same role he took pride in not reading or sending emails and did almost everything by phone. This included getting quotes from vendors on military contracts and physically writing down the details which he would then occasionally scan into the system and attach to the eventual orders. It was so bad that I spent a month just trying to figure out what he did and didn't order or quote in the last two months he was there.

Volmarias posted:

When the company redesigns its logo, all the existing swag is immediately obsolete, meaning that I've got some :krad: old (good) style socks

If it's an iconic company or an industry giant or anything like that just remember to hold on to some of those marketing things because someone, somewhere is a collector and will pay stupid money for worthless stuff in 10-15 years. The company I work for has done five renamings in the last 20 years, and each came with its own swag, apparel and logos (because the company's reputation was trash and so kept changing names to help look better). People get all nostalgic for what the company was when they got hired or when their mom/dad worked there and will pay for junk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lazyfire posted:

If it's an iconic company or an industry giant or anything like that just remember to hold on to some of those marketing things because someone, somewhere is a collector and will pay stupid money for worthless stuff in 10-15 years. The company I work for has done five renamings in the last 20 years, and each came with its own swag, apparel and logos (because the company's reputation was trash and so kept changing names to help look better). People get all nostalgic for what the company was when they got hired or when their mom/dad worked there and will pay for junk.

Too late, I already wore them until they got holes :smugdog:

More seriously, there's SO MUCH marketing garbage that I've got a whole drawer that's just swag T-shirts at this point. There's only one or two I will even wear at this point, like this one, which actually owns in spite of itself and I love it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

I work nights so I put my schedule in my signature where most people put their number.

It gets the point across pretty well, as well as covering the “why haven’t they responded yet?” stuff.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ClothHat posted:

After we had been working from home for a year my boss wanted additional feedback from the staff on how it was going. They sent out surveys to our teams with very obvious push questions like: "What is more important to you: A: being able to continue working from home or B: being able to provide high quality service while maintaining positive relationships with your boss, co-workers, and clients?" When staff still said they preferred working from home they just ignored that and said that they have had higher turnover this year and the reason must be because of working from home so get ready to come back 3 days a week.

My team of course has had historically low turnover this last year and also works in a tiny satellite office that was too small pre-pandemic, and we have added a significant number of people to the team. I should bring all this up, but my boss has outright told me that they don't like it when I challenge their decisions.

Management is both desperate to justify their positions and desperate to have power over the people who actually do the work that many managers flat out do not understand.

WFH creates a kind of existential crisis for the jobs, power and prestige of a lot of fairly useless people.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Too late, I already wore them until they got holes :smugdog:

More seriously, there's SO MUCH marketing garbage that I've got a whole drawer that's just swag T-shirts at this point. There's only one or two I will even wear at this point, like this one, which actually owns in spite of itself and I love it

I worked in a position that required me to go to tons of gaming/developer trade shows and I have so many t-shirts I can't see myself ever having to buy another. A good 50% of them are not really suitable for wearing in public though; some of them are just weird and half-assed (like sonatype just putting a bunch of their java source on a t-shirt and calling it a day) or shameful (pretty much everything Blizzard for whatever reason). I also have a drawer of wireless chargers/usbs/Oracle socks (why?) that I'm probably never going to use.

I drove past my previous employers office today and the carpark was pretty full so they've obviously dragged everyone back into the office. Pretty happy with my new fully remote job with unlimited PTO and a bunch of really good benefits hell yeah.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

WFH creates a kind of existential crisis for the jobs, power and prestige of a lot of fairly useless people.

those types of people don't know how to WFH because they can't just go with the flow, their entire personality/work style is to stir poo poo up

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

Management is both desperate to justify their positions and desperate to have power over the people who actually do the work that many managers flat out do not understand.

Many large corporations have incentive programs. If you suggest a change that will save the company money, you are entitled to 10% of the amount saved.

Write up a paper and illustrate how WFH eliminates the need for X-number of middle management. Supply data that shows how WFH continued to be profitable for the company, with no middle-manager oversight.

Be sure to submit the plan over the heads of the managers who would lose their babysitting jobs. Watch them be eliminated. Continue to WFH. Spend that sweet, sweet 10% bonus of middle manager salaries.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

GORDON posted:

Many large corporations have incentive programs. If you suggest a change that will save the company money, you are entitled to 10% of the amount saved.

Write up a paper and illustrate how WFH eliminates the need for X-number of middle management. Supply data that shows how WFH continued to be profitable for the company, with no middle-manager oversight.

Be sure to submit the plan over the heads of the managers who would lose their babysitting jobs. Watch them be eliminated. Continue to WFH. Spend that sweet, sweet 10% bonus of middle manager salaries.

A good idea, but it's not going to fly for multiple reasons:

- I work at dinky non-profits who receive mostly fixed funding from the state, no such incentives exist because there is no money for them.
- This boss habitually rejects any ideas that are not their own, I've posted about them a bunch of times before.
- The useless middle manager in this case is me. I'm supervising a small team and mostly just trying to get upper management to leave them alone.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I work nights so I put my schedule in my signature where most people put their number.

Mate I work nights and dumbcunts I work with cant seem to understand, that if im emailing/working on something and the time stamp is 2am.....it means I'm not going to respond to you in teams/email/call at loving 10am.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Volmarias posted:

When the company redesigns its logo, all the existing swag is immediately obsolete, meaning that I've got some :krad: old (good) style socks

My niece ended up with one of her favorite stuffed toys because of that. The small plush stuffed animals had the old blue for the logo. So marketing got rid of a bunch. She was two at the time so I gave her one and set aside a pair of spares.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

fist4jesus posted:

Mate I work nights and dumbcunts I work with cant seem to understand, that if im emailing/working on something and the time stamp is 2am.....it means I'm not going to respond to you in teams/email/call at loving 10am.

I worked graveyards for years and even my own family could never fully understand that calling me at noon was exactly like me calling them at midnight.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

fist4jesus posted:

Imagined posted:

I worked graveyards for years and even my own family could never fully understand that calling me at noon was exactly like me calling them at midnight.

So many stories in the r/relationships thread about parents waking up their "lazy" children, who work third shift, at noon.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang that sounds bad.

We're just on the tail end of evaluating a service called BlueOptima which evaluates developer productivity by analyzing repo commits. It provides nice charts that show fluctuations of productivity for the whole organization on a monthly basis, and we can see how productivity has increased month over month since we started wfh last year. We were able to gather data from several years ago and we're more productive now than we ever were before the pandemic.

But hey looks like our province is starting reopening so it's time to get everyone back into the office, right?

Fuckin dipshits

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Even if someone is more productive per hour they're actually working in the office (a big if), so much of your actual time at the office is spent simply managing your life in that space. For example, when I go to the office, even if I get there at 8, it's probably almost 9 before I actually start working between talking to people on my way in, getting some coffee, putting my lunch away, getting my work area set up, plugging in my phone and getting some music going, checking my email and voicemail, etc. Probably 30 more minutes of the average day is wasted on being distracted by coworkers with non-work-related conversation and chit-chat, another 30 minutes going to the bathroom throughout the day. So we're 2 hours down already. If my particular home situation wasn't an absolute black hole of productivity, I could absolutely put more hours actually on-task at home in a given 9-hour period than I could at the office.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Slotducks posted:

WHY

I love it when you see this and the bit that says barney.rubble@cybderdyne.com actually has the mailto: link of fred.flintstone@cyberdyne.com because when Barney started he copied it off Fred's signature and just changed the text because of course that's what you would do.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Because some middle management marketing dumbass is worried that your email signature isnt projecting the right image.
During our recent rebranding the marketing director wanted use to install some random bullshit on everybody’s computers to make sure their email signature conformed to company standards.

We manage signatures at the server level. It's previewable in Outlook through a plugin pushed to the user's computer and pulls info from Exchange.

Works perfectly, looks better than the random crap people were putting. Because it's server-lever, it works for all your devices, so your phone client won't default to "sent from an iphone" or whatever poo poo they do today.

It's used for marketing too (banners for product anouncements, events etc) and has a CTR in the double digits while costing peanuts.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Imagined posted:

Way too many millenials (not boomers for whatever reason, and not the younger generations either) expect an answer to their mail within the hour. Like bitch if it's a life-threatining emergency you call, if it can wait a bit there's the chat in teams. Email is whenever I have time for it. Usually tomorrow.

And if I need to act on an email's content, don't put me in CC, I don't read those, they are for if I need the info later, SMH.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

So many stories in the r/relationships thread about parents waking up their "lazy" children, who work third shift, at noon.

“Time to get up! You can’t just sleep the day away, there are things to do!”

My dad used to give me that poo poo when I was a high school student on summer break. Who loving cares what time I sleep or wake up? I did everything they asked around the house and had nothing planned and didn’t bug them but I guess being awake during the day builds character or something and there are unnamed untold things that could possibly happen so you had better be awake.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

AHH F/UGH posted:

My dad used to give me that poo poo when I was a high school student on summer break. Who loving cares what time I sleep or wake up? I did everything they asked around the house and had nothing planned and didn’t bug them but I guess being awake during the day builds character or something and there are unnamed untold things that could possibly happen so you had better be awake.

My dad once broke my door out of the wall because I dared to lock my door when he woke me up at 10 or something. Good times. actually not good times, bad times, in fact

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

What I found hilarious was my boomer aged relatives would throw fits about this but their parents were like "who gives a poo poo, if the kid doesn't mind cold breakfast or starting the day with lunch don't wake them up. Your only plan is to go shopping anyway"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Spatule posted:

Way too many millenials (not boomers for whatever reason, and not the younger generations either) expect an answer to their mail within the hour. Like bitch if it's a life-threatining emergency you call, if it can wait a bit there's the chat in teams. Email is whenever I have time for it. Usually tomorrow.

And if I need to act on an email's content, don't put me in CC, I don't read those, they are for if I need the info later, SMH.

The worst voicemail of all time is "Just checking if you got my email." We should be allowed one free pass per lifetime to murder someone who sent a voicemail like that.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh look I got a message in teams from one of the VPs.

“Hey I have a question.”

:murder:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Company held a survey after we had been 100% WFH for 6 months which showed that 90%+ of people were happy with working from home, and team managers reported that people are more efficient and we're getting more done overall.

The only group which reported they weren't massively happy with WFH was HR, of course. So we had a company meeting a few weeks ago and the HR-led plan is to return to at least 50% in-office work.

HR - We're not happy until you're not happy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh look I got a message in teams from one of the VPs.

“Hey I have a question.”

:murder:

This drives me goddamn nuts, they never even just send the question when it becomes apparent I’m not answering nor have I even seen their question, because I am clearly not logged in because like I have told everyone I work with- I work nights. I am hourly. I do not answer emails or messages off the clock. So now I come in at night, ask them what their question is, they get back to me the next day, and I answer them a night later. It’s been like 36 hours from their initial message at this point. Somehow there’s people that still don’t get it. Some motherfuckers always tryin to ice skate uphill, I guess.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Someone broke down the failure states of the domain migration that's now paused...

Lol, they almost all boil down to the fact that whoever designed the interface for the user DOESN'T AUTHENTICATE THEIR PASSWORD, it just accepts what they put in and then caches that as their credentials...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ClothHat posted:

- The useless middle manager in this case is me. I'm supervising a small team and mostly just trying to get upper management to leave them alone.

Acting as an umbrella to protect your team from the endless bullshit pouring down from above is the useful purpose middle management provides. You're doing good!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Outrail posted:

Acting as an umbrella to protect your team from the endless bullshit pouring down from above is the useful purpose middle management provides. You're doing good!

Only thing you need now is to provide your reports with the means to actually do their jobs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Middle managers manage managers. If your reports do work you are a manager, or front line manager if you need a label.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Imagined posted:

The worst voicemail of all time is "Just checking if you got my email." We should be allowed one free pass per lifetime to murder someone who sent a voicemail like that.

What, that free pass doesn’t exist? This is very concerning.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Time to break out the ol bleach’n rag and the hacksaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Imagined posted:

People you know leave voicemails? The biggest pet peeve I have is people calling me when I’m busy or away and not leaving anything, then getting pissy when I don’t call them back right away. If you didn’t leave a VM or didn’t follow up with a text or email, then I am going to assume every time that it wasn’t important. :shrug: